PDA

View Full Version : Russian Airstrike on Turkish Troops

mack7.62
02-27-20, 17:41
I thought they were best buds now.

'Oh my gosh': US ambassador stunned by report of attack on NATO ally Turkey

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/oh-my-gosh-us-ambassador-stunned-by-report-of-attack-on-nato-ally-turkey

A long-developing proxy clash in Syria between Russia and Turkey is “very much moving into crisis mode,” a senior American diplomat said amid reports that Turkish troops were attacked in an airstrike.

“Oh my gosh,” Kay Bailey Hutchison, the U.S. ambassador to NATO, exclaimed Thursday when she learned from journalists that more than 20 Turkish service members reportedly have been killed.

BWT
02-27-20, 18:41
I am not excited about anyone losing their life, but this does bring up the question after buying rockets from the Russians.

Who’s side is Turkey on, and do we want them on ours?

I will be interested to see how this pans out.

God Bless,

Brandon

ABNAK
02-27-20, 19:17
I would definitely advise the U.S. to NOT step in on Turkey's behalf. NATO "ally"? What a joke.

Fvck Turkey. They denied the 4th ID from landing there by ship and invading Iraq from the north during OIF I. Ever since it isn't like they've been best buds or anything. Secular my ass; sure, maybe not as extreme as some others in that region but their Muzzie inclinations have shown through.

Diamondback
02-27-20, 19:43
IIRC Turkey only wanted in for "enemy of my enemy," and we only let them because we needed forward basing for smaller bombers like B-47s and the limited-range missiles of the day.

Long past time to rethink that now that we have ICBM's/SLBM's/long range cruise missiles and even a modern FIGHTER is more capable than those first jet bombers, close up shop at Incirlik/Batman and relocate it all to RAF Akrotiri on Cyprus.

Alpha-17
02-28-20, 08:14
I've been watching Turkey for several years now based on my eschatological beliefs. They've definitely been sliding into the Islamist camp for a while and getting more militant and aggressive as well. Their proxies are losing, so they've decided to step up their game. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a Turkish invasion and occupation of at least parts of Syria. With Iran and Italy struggling with Corona, and tensions between the Turks and Greece ramping up again, they really can expand in almost any direction.

BoringGuy45
02-28-20, 09:12
Turkey is a very powerful country that many people take for granted. They have a huge population, a large, well trained, and well equipped military, and a decent amount of natural resources. The really only get ignored because they haven't been in a major war since they were the Ottoman Empire during WWI and they are an "ally" so we don't have to deal with them. If they were to ever turn on NATO, they would be a huge pain in the ass to deal with.

Whiskey_Bravo
02-28-20, 09:17
Turkey, being the loyal member of NATO that they are....

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/02/27/erdogan-opens-the-gates-syrian-migrants-granted-unhindered-passage-to-europe/

alx01
02-28-20, 12:39
Regarding the engagement with Russia - don't forget that Turkey shot down a Russian bomber plane 2 years back after it allegedly intruded into Turkey's territory for about 10-15 seconds (basically flying in Syrian airspace over the Turkey's territory bulge). Turkey claimed they did not know who's plane it was. Then, Turkey-backed rebels shot down a rescue helicopter (don't remember the casualties).

What I'm really surprised about is that Turkey seemed okay with Syria for a long time (20-40 years at least). Maybe not best friends, but not the enemies either. Since the war started in Syria all the sudden Turkey became an adamant supporter of various factions fighting against Assad. Turkey has basically declared an open war on Syria. Had Syria been in a different situation it would have been another major country to country conflict (ala Iran-Iraq war).

I wonder what has changed in Turkey's politics in order for it to openly fight Syria's gov? I suspect they probably want a major land grab from Syria to have a population loyal to Turkey living there plus establishing a buffer zone from Kurds or even expelling Kurds from Turkey into Syrian's territory (again controlled by Turkey or not).

yoni
02-28-20, 13:11
Turkey's military is not what it used to be, due to generals and colonels getting arrested and disappearing forever.

Averageman
02-28-20, 13:28
If there was ever a bunch of folks who want to play the game both ways, it's Turkey.
Pull our Nukes out, kick Turkey out of NATO and let them deal with Russia and Syria alone.

26 Inf
02-28-20, 18:03
If there was ever a bunch of folks who want to play the game both ways, it's Turkey.
Pull our Nukes out, kick Turkey out of NATO and let them deal with Russia and Syria alone.

Tend to agree, but have a question: does the Bosphorus Strait still have strategic relevance?

ABNAK
02-28-20, 18:56
Tend to agree, but have a question: does the Bosphorus Strait still have strategic relevance?

With today's surveillance capabilities (i.e. satellites and such) and stand-off weapons I would wager that the answer is a resounding no, at least as far as having to kiss the ass of whoever controls it.

Think about it: is the Panama Canal as vital to who controls it as it once was? The above-mentioned capabilities would tend to negate any issues with what country or entity controls it. Now sabotaging the locks or something similar to stop trans-oceanic travel could indeed be an issue, so there's that. But with Turkey and the Bosphorus Strait, other than the Russians who gives a shit?

26 Inf
02-28-20, 22:15
But with Turkey and the Bosphorus Strait, other than the Russians who gives a shit?

It was the Russians I was concerned about. Does the Black Sea Fleet still sortie out into the Mediterranean?

Diamondback
02-28-20, 23:24
It was the Russians I was concerned about. Does the Black Sea Fleet still sortie out into the Mediterranean?

Well, there's also the Ukrainian navy in the mix... whatever's left of it after the Commie Bastards grabbed Crimea and the port of Sevastopol (which was the real prize there).

SteyrAUG
02-29-20, 00:12
Is it too late to invite Russia to join NATO?

If ever there was a country we really, really, really needed to get on the same page with...it's Russia.

After 9-11 Russia reached out to Bush (43) to offer assistance and got called out on "human rights abuses" in Chechnya.

In 2013 Russian intelligence agencies gave Obama specific warnings about the Boston bombers in advance of the attack. In 2016 Obama locked down diplomatic compounds and expanded sanctions against Russia.

Now I'm not saying Putin is a nice guy, I'm not saying Russia isn't capable of shit, even recently they more or less occupied Ukraine. But we have lots and lots of common ground and waste time and money trying to step on each others dicks.

We need to come to an agreement of who is in control of what and without having a war to figure it out. Then let them handle their business is their sector and we handle ours in our sector. If I was President I'd invite them back to Afghanistan for "talks."

alx01
02-29-20, 01:33
Here is the reason for the Russians hitting a Turkish convoy:

Russian sources, contacted by Al-Monitor, claim that more than 15 MANPADS attacks, carried out directly by Turkish troops, targeted Russian and Syrian jets conducting air raids in southern Idlib after 1 p.m. that day. Some Russian aircraft allegedly suffered damage as they maneuvered to escape the fire. As the attacks on the planes and the Khmeimim base reached an intensity deemed intolerable, the Turkish convoy was hit at 5 p.m.

Source provides a very detailed description of events (not 100% sure if it's accurate though): https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2020/02/turkey-syria-russia-deciphering-attack-on-turkish-troops.html

In a nutshell: two Syrian Su-22 scattered the convoy of about 400 Turkish troops supporting jihadist factions. Afterwards two Russian Su-34 hit a few buildings where troops were hiding.

Slater
02-29-20, 10:52
Turkish retaliatory strikes. Not sure what targeting equipment the Turks are using, but some of the clearest video I've seen from this conflict:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3f0N-mJsbI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1bwjJLqL9AJOpo9dGiVbZDXK5iXeUXMSZZqoWbSKArDc8ROQzKzL7dNqQ

Dr. Bullseye
02-29-20, 11:33
Why can't Turkey stop invading other countries? And if not, why can't we kick them out of NATO? Turkey is a cold war vestige now, the Russians have leap froged them and are in Syria. Turkey serves no purpose and is a liability.

Averageman
02-29-20, 12:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHF4m0VHr5E
Turkey threatens to flood Europe with refugees.

CrowCommand
03-01-20, 08:02
Looks like they took down a couple planes...

https://www.foxnews.com/world/turkey-syria-warplanes-tension

Averageman
03-02-20, 09:54
And Turkey has massed refugees at the border to flood Europe.

Dr. Bullseye
03-02-20, 12:10
And Turkey has massed refugees at the border to flood Europe.

1. Flooding Europe with masses of immigrants which they caused to happen in Syria.
2. Actively invading and assisting Al Quada/ Al Nusra/ISIS in Syria.
3. Killing Kurds and invading Syrian Kurdistan.

Why can't the USA/Europe just identify Turkey as a Terrorist State, boot them out of NATO, and isolate them completely?

Sry0fcr
03-02-20, 14:04
Who’s side is Turkey on, and do we want them on ours?

Their own and not really.

SteyrAUG
03-02-20, 14:43
1. Flooding Europe with masses of immigrants which they caused to happen in Syria.
2. Actively invading and assisting Al Quada/ Al Nusra/ISIS in Syria.
3. Killing Kurds and invading Syrian Kurdistan.

Why can't the USA/Europe just identify Turkey as a Terrorist State, boot them out of NATO, and isolate them completely?

Because then we'd have to do that with Pakistan and half a dozen other states we call "allies."

Slater
03-02-20, 16:29
Considering the massed and accurate drone strikes on Syrian personnel and equipment, Turkey seems to be making strides in the area of defense technology.

sundance435
03-04-20, 14:49
Their own and not really.

Bingo, but we're not exactly altruistic, either. I am glad that karma is finally coming around for Erdogan, though. He's liable to go balls-deep in Libya and Syria before he realizes how foolish they both are. That might finally be his undoing, although an unstable Turkey would make Syria or Libya look like an eccentric mother-in-law by comparison.

Considering the massed and accurate drone strikes on Syrian personnel and equipment, Turkey seems to be making strides in the area of defense technology.

Yes, at least as far as drones, but everything else is U.S. or Israeli-made. It's also interesting to note that Syria is relatively effective with the mostly outdated equipment it has. Many reports, some independent, claiming Syria has gained back everything it lost in the last 7-10 days. 10 years of hard, constant fighting, plus a healthy dose of fanatical Shi'a cannon fodder, have demonstrated that the Arabs can have a militaries that fight under the right circumstances. Apparently "Death to Israel" isn't enough - there needs to be a sectarian element to it.

mack7.62
03-08-20, 13:03
About time for Greece to go weapons free.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/03/08/reports-turkish-police-use-drones-to-organise-tear-gas-attacks-on-greek-border-guards/

Reports: Turkish Police Use Drones to Organise Tear Gas Attacks on Greek Border Guards

"Turkish police used drones to organise attacks against Greek security forces tasked with protecting the nation’s borders from thousands of migrants attempting to illegally cross into the country, according to reports.

On Friday, Greek security forces were bombarded with smoke bombs and tear gas fired from the Turkish side of the border at the Kastanies checkpoint on the Evros river. It is now alleged that Turkish police used drones to co-ordinate the onslaught upon Greek security forces.

During the attack, members of the Turkish police force were seen handing out wire cutters to migrants to help them cut through the border fence separating the two countries, according to the Greek Reporter."

Diamondback
03-08-20, 13:17
If I'm Greece I start laying smoke screens, then planting land mines under cover of them.

Grand58742
03-08-20, 14:32
It's time to kick Turkey straight the eff out of NATO.

Belmont31R
03-09-20, 03:42
Turkey is a very powerful country that many people take for granted. They have a huge population, a large, well trained, and well equipped military, and a decent amount of natural resources. The really only get ignored because they haven't been in a major war since they were the Ottoman Empire during WWI and they are an "ally" so we don't have to deal with them. If they were to ever turn on NATO, they would be a huge pain in the ass to deal with.

They have several units that look great on paper and in pictures but like most paper tiger militaries couldn't support shit further than cargo truck distance for more than a week.

The vast majority of their military is poorly equipped and trained conscripts who would just be sad fodder or throw down their guns and run.

Belmont31R
03-09-20, 03:49
Whats hilarious to me about this is all the shit Trump got when he announced a [partial] pull out of Syria.

The real consequence of that was letting Russia, Turkey, and Iran go at each other there because they all have competing interests in Syria. Now that's coming to some decent fruition and we're better off with those 3 going at it than what the US policy (non clear objective) was under Obama and the first couple of years of Trump.

The mass slaughter of Kurds has yet to come as they can take care of themselves and we're still supporting some of them.

Hopefully more such incidents occur to where those 3 idiot countries escalate things and drain their limited military resources even more.

Mjolnir
03-09-20, 18:20

Not gonna happen.

We wish to divide Syria.

Planned Natural Gas Pipelines from the Caspian Sea Basin (Qatar) thru Iraq, thru Northern Syria and then into Europe.

Syria chose to side with Iran to Iraq to Syria into Europe.

The US, UK, Israel (these three were the most vocal) and the EU raised Hell and Syria was invaded by Wahabbists - the same ones we openly supported in Libya.

Ever wonder why during the Obama administration we “bombed the terrorists” but they were photographed with new equipment including new Toyota pickup trucks?

Remember how Russia was invited in and bombed the crap out of them and then the US cries wolf?

Well, now you know the backstory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk