PDA

View Full Version : Profiting from coronavirus?

WillBrink
02-28-20, 15:28
Considering the market is tanked at the moment, and the fact some industries will benefit from this event, might be worth grabbing some johnson & johnson stock or others. Maybe pre packaged foods are another area that will see big uptick in sales and value?

These stocks are poised to benefit as coronavirus roils markets

The historic stock market rout may have a few hidden winners as the coronavirus crisis ricochets across the globe.

To be certain, the week-long selloff has laid waste to stocks in virtually all sectors, forcing the S&P 500 (^GSPC) into its fastest ever 10% correction and shaving some $5 trillion off the market’s value.

However, a clutch of names have managed to defy the downward trend or are at least outperforming the broader market’s bloodletting.

Some are pharmaceutical companies working on a coronavirus vaccine, while others are consumer-facing companies expected to benefit from homebound people trying to avoid public gatherings.
Big and (some) small pharma

To be sure, the pharma sector has been volatile since the virus first started battering markets. Analysts have warned that not every company that promises a vaccine can actually deliver one, and the path toward developing a treatment may take months, if not years.

Yet some names are emerging as longer-term bets: Among them are big pharma companies Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Gilead (GILD) and Sanofi (SNY). Some smaller names include Moderna (MRNA) Inovio (INO) and Novavax (NVAX), all of which have seen fleeting boosts to their stocks amid the current carnage. Experts say attention to smaller companies is a stark contrast from the market response to the Ebola outbreak several years ago.

Moderna is leading the vaccine race with a candidate ready to be tested by the National Institute for Health, but it could run into problems scaling for the demand of an epidemic. Vaccines are unlikely to be ready by the end of this year, however.

cont:

https://news.yahoo.com/stocks-benefiting-as-coronavirus-roils-markets-174417781.html

Life's a Hillary
02-28-20, 15:51
I’m sticking to buying index funds and other stocks I regularly follow that are currently down. There is going to be a massive correction coming and I’m just enjoying the nice cheap stocks right now.

WillBrink
02-28-20, 16:11
I’m sticking to buying index funds and other stocks I regularly follow that are currently down. There is going to be a massive correction coming and I’m just enjoying the nice cheap stocks right now.

Seems a good time to do it.

mack7.62
02-28-20, 16:38
Short term right now anybody thinking about picking up a shipping container it's likely to be a buyer's market.

SeriousStudent
02-29-20, 08:04

Pretty much this. I am debating moving some cash back into the market for some funds that are currently undervalued with the recent hit.

Life's a Hillary
02-29-20, 09:01
Pretty much this. I am debating moving some cash back into the market for some funds that are currently undervalued with the recent hit.

If you can hang with it for a longer time horizon there is no reason to not be buying right now. Sure it might keep going down but then I just keep buying more. Long term we will definitely eclipse prior highs and this will look like an incredible opportunity.

mack7.62
02-29-20, 09:32
One result I would expect to see from this is movement of drug and medical production back onshore, makes no sense to have all your eggs in the China basket when something like this moves them from exporting to consuming.

WillBrink
02-29-20, 09:48
One result I would expect to see from this is movement of drug and medical production back onshore, makes no sense to have all your eggs in the China basket when something like this moves them from exporting to consuming.

Per this thread, yup:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?220945-Coronavirus-Outbreak-Exposes-China%92s-Monopoly-on-U-S-Drug-Medical-Supplies

I think it should be viewed as a NS matter.

jsbhike
02-29-20, 10:43
Maybe.

I worked at a place that decided to outsource production to China and failed to get a quality guarantee from the factory. When customers started receiving and installing the items, basically none of them worked and the company I worked for was on the hook and went under from it.

The higher up most responsible for the production shift said he wished he had pushed for it sooner right in the middle of the further shut downs paying for his action and eventually he was obsolete as well.

If someone can be happy about losing their livelihood just to cause the same to fall on a class beneath them, it could be possible they are willing to die to bring it on a lower caste.

WillBrink
02-29-20, 10:53
Maybe.

I worked at a place that decided to outsource production to China and failed to get a quality guarantee from the factory. When customers started receiving and installing the items, basically none of them worked and the company I worked for was on the hook and basically went under from it.

The higher up most responsible for the production shift said he wished he had pushed for it sooner right in the middle of the further shut downs paying for his action and eventually he was obsolete as well.

If someone can be happy about losing their livelihood just to cause the same to fall on a class beneath them, it could be possible they are willing to die to bring it on a lower caste.

My experience/involvement has been via the supplement industry, and my advice to any company I have worked with/consulted for was, if they must source ingredients from China assume their supplied C-of-A is fiction, and to third party batch test everything. Obviously that raises the costs, but it's worth every penny. The Chinese are perfectly capable of producing quality stuff but you have to watch them like a hawk and of course like US companies, not all Chinese companies are created equal. The only companies I personally use/recommend third party test everything, and refuse any batches not up to snuff, and if it happens more than a few times, changes vendors. They also tend to go visit China several times a year to see the facilities, etc.

jsbhike
02-29-20, 11:08
My experience/involvement has been via the supplement industry, and my advice to any company I have worked with/consulted for was, if they must source ingredients from China assume their supplied C-of-A is fiction, and to third party batch test everything. Obviously that raises the costs, but it's worth every penny. The Chinese are perfectly capable of producing quality stuff but you have to watch them like a hawk and of course like US companies, not all Chinese companies are created equal. The only companies I personally use/recommend third party test everything, and refuse any batches not up to snuff, and if it happens more than a few times, changes vendors. They also tend to go visit China several times a year to see the facilities, etc.

Yes the costs do go up with QC in China.

I have seen instances where there is a cost savings even then.

In others I have seen, once the Chinese product truly begins to become an equivalent of a product with willing employees, the price becomes equivalent as well.

Seen the constant oversight you mentioned also mentioned in a article about an air gun company from KY that wanted to get an air rifle equivalent to RWS at a lower price. It took them years of collaborating with the Chinese factory to get an air rifle almost as accurate, almost as powerful, and almost the same fit and finish as an RWS and they ended up marketing it for about $175 v $200 for the RWS they also sold.

WillBrink
02-29-20, 11:45
Yes the costs do go up with QC in China.

I have seen instances where there is a cost savings even then.

In others I have seen, once the Chinese product truly begins to become an equivalent of a product with willing employees, the price becomes equivalent as well.

Seen the constant oversight you mentioned also mentioned in a article about an air gun company from KY that wanted to get an air rifle equivalent to RWS at a lower price. It took them years of collaborating with the Chinese factory to get an air rifle almost as accurate, almost as powerful, and almost the same fit and finish as an RWS and they ended up marketing it for about $175 v $200 for the RWS they also sold.

At least in the the supp industry, that's pretty much always the case. But, greed and or stupidity, regular third party batch testing is not as common it should be.

MegademiC
02-29-20, 13:08
I plan in purchasing a bunch of stocks Monday.
I plan on getting some for long term investment, but will day-trade a hundred or so, just for fun.

Arik
02-29-20, 14:19
From what I read a few weeks ago was that we had pretty decent med manufacturing facilities in Puerto Rico, something like 16 facilities, until the hurricane. Since then they've all remained closed

yoni
02-29-20, 18:17
I was approached by a nation state that asked for help in getting them 30 million sets of gear for their hospital staff. I was going to profit in a big way, I lined up factories to produce them for us. Then the country they were located in banned exports of such items.

So if I could have done it I was going to make tens of millions of the virus. It didn't happen such is life.

Did I do any thing wrong, I don't think so. I offered them cost plus 10%

davidk
02-29-20, 19:26
I have a retirement program that offers stock market like profit with no market risk. Your account will never decrease due to market downfall. My phone has been ringing off the hook with the people that I talked to in the past that weren't concerned at the time about market drops effecting their retirement. They sure are now.