PDA

View Full Version : Steyr loses lawsuit against SIG

Slater
03-03-20, 07:17
Looks like no royalties for Steyr:

"A federal judge has sided with SIG Sauer in a suit brought by an Alabama gunmaker who claimed the New Hampshire firearms manufacturer infringed on its patent for a handgun with a plastic housing and a key metal part.

In an order signed Tuesday, U.S. District Court Judge Joseph DiClerico Jr. denied a summary judgment requested by Steyr Arms Inc., which claimed that SIG Sauer had used Steyr technology for a plastic housing and multifunctional metal part in its P250 and P320 handgun models."

https://www.unionleader.com/news/courts/steyr-arms-loses-patent-claims-against-nh-based-sig-sauer/article_0af7d1a3-dd15-5954-9085-1300754ba036.html

Alpha-17
03-03-20, 07:51
Good. If this was legitimate and not a cash grab, the lawsuit would have come after the P250 was released in '07, and not after/during the M17 adoption in '17.

PrivateCitizen
03-04-20, 14:41
Good. If this was legitimate and not a cash grab, the lawsuit would have come after the P250 was released in '07, and not after/during the M17 adoption in '17.

Rule No. 1: Sue those with the money …

ChazC93
03-04-20, 14:59
Crazy to see that play out.

Slater
03-04-20, 15:49
For anyone interested, this is the court brief:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nhd.46644/gov.uscourts.nhd.46644.77.0.pdf

SteyrAUG
03-04-20, 22:21
I just mostly feel bad for anyone who has to carry that SIG POS as a issued sidearm. Was never a huge fan of the Beretta, but damn I'd rather have a M9.

grizzlyblake
03-05-20, 06:59
I just mostly feel bad for anyone who has to carry that SIG POS as a issued sidearm. Was never a huge fan of the Beretta, but damn I'd rather have a M9.

Are you referring to the 320? I have the X-Compact and in my opinion it is a much better pistol than my Glock 19.

Alpha-17
03-05-20, 07:35

Other than normal internet hate for SIG, what's your problem with the M17? I've got a commercial one, and my wife has had a compact P320 for several years now, and they're both rock solid and completely reliable. Most complaints I see are linked to the faulty test batch, the drop issue, or simply "how dare the Army not pick Glock!"

SteyrAUG
03-05-20, 14:14
Other than normal internet hate for SIG, what's your problem with the M17? I've got a commercial one, and my wife has had a compact P320 for several years now, and they're both rock solid and completely reliable. Most complaints I see are linked to the faulty test batch, the drop issue, or simply "how dare the Army not pick Glock!"

I just didn't think much of it. The design itself seems vulnerable to user error.

Alpha-17
03-06-20, 09:16
I just didn't think much of it. The design itself seems vulnerable to user error.

Hmm. Not to be an ass, but how so? Other than the core gimmick of the M17/P320 design, the modular trigger group, everything else seems pretty simple and common across the board. Even the manual safety is pretty much your normal safety, just plugged into a striker-fired pistol. The trigger group is also pretty easy and simple to install correctly, and pretty hard to put in wrong, so I don't see it really being a problem.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-06-20, 09:56
Woof, that order was a seriously boring read.

Slater
03-06-20, 11:56
Hard to believe the judge stayed awake the whole time.

Hop
03-06-20, 14:45

*if legitimate*? How close can Sig be to the Steyr design and still get away with stealing a patented design? It's an obvious design rip off to me.

Alpha-17
03-07-20, 09:03
*if legitimate*? How close can Sig be to the Steyr design and still get away with stealing a patented design? It's an obvious design rip off to me.

It can take a similar idea and do it differently, even if only in part. Patent law is an established practice, as this case shows. Again, the timing of this should be the first clue that Sig had legitimately worked around the patent and Steyr only thought otherwise when the potential rewards had gotten much bigger.

KUSA
03-07-20, 09:29

Coming from someone with a username “Steyr”. Totally unbiased....lol.

SteyrAUG
03-07-20, 18:42
Coming from someone with a username “Steyr”. Totally unbiased....lol.

So despite my username, not really a fan of the Steyr M pistol either and my favorite carry guns are old "pre Cohen" SIGs.