PDA

View Full Version : Disney fans/purists: Cinderella's Fairy Godmother ain't what she used to be...

Slater
03-03-20, 12:00
Gotta love the 21st Century :D

"Billy Porter is set to play the Fairy Godmother in an upcoming remake of "Cinderella," due out in 2021. Porter is perhaps the first man to hold the role in a mainstream adaptation of the tale, and he calls it "a classic fairytale for a new generation."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/billy-porter-to-play-fairy-godmother-as-genderless-in-upcoming-cinderella-remake/

jsbhike
03-03-20, 12:33
Not sure if that tops Finnish PBS' Carl Mannerheim biography or not.

https://youtu.be/DYAdqwv6yJc

gaijin
03-03-20, 12:42
Went to see “Call of the Wild” recently.
(Very loosely) “based on the book by Jack London”, which I was fond of in High School.

This “woke” shit is clear out of control.

My hope is the crap “they” are portraying as what we should aspire to, if not currently be mainstream, is not the majority sentiment.
We are toast if it is.

titsonritz
03-03-20, 12:46
Isn't that special.

Slater
03-03-20, 13:07
Maybe they should film "Shaka, King Of The Zulus", starring Julia Roberts as Shaka :D

Arik
03-03-20, 13:11
Wasn't Peter Pan played by a woman?

MegademiC
03-03-20, 14:23
Im sure its gonna be a smash hit at the box office.

“The kids are ready... its the grown-ups that are slowing stuff down.”
Thats hittin all kind of creep-alarms.

BoringGuy45
03-03-20, 14:30

Yeah, but it wasn’t supposed to be some kind of genderless thing. Nowadays, it’s all about the trans thing. Everyone wants a pat on the back for being woke. It’s like that one dude we know who always has to find a way to mention how often he gets pussy: It had nothing to do with the subject at hand and nobody f**king asked.

“Let’s do a live action remake of Cinderella.”

“You know that there is more than 2 genders right? Non-cis people are oppressed everyday!”

“Sure, whatever you say. Now getting back to the movie...”

“Why is the fairy godmother a woman? That’s very offensive and transphobic!”

“Oh jeez. Here we go...”

jsbhike
03-03-20, 14:32
Im sure its gonna be a smash hit at the box office.

“The kids are ready... its the grown-ups that are slowing stuff down.”
Thats hittin all kind of creep-alarms.

BSA is interesting with youth protection training emphasizing no public displays of affection at BSA events with a husband and wife holding hands as an example(great! I never wanted to see my sports coaches and their wives/girlfriends cavorting), but open homosexuality is somehow the law of the land.

Diamondback
03-03-20, 15:49
NOTHING is what it used to be, sadly... I'm an '80s kid, and got that wakeup call in '86 with Transformers when they killed Optimus Prime. (Context, TF "Generation 1" had previously always ended in "status quo ante, try it all over again next week" outcomes.)

Diamondback
03-03-20, 15:53

Worth noting that for centuries, long before even Shakespeare, women roles on stage were traditionally depicted by younger boys. Also worth noting that the thespian trade was considered a trade of repute similar to if not lower than that of prostitution...

titsonritz
03-03-20, 15:55
How about coming up with something original to spread your disease as opposed to ****ing with my childhood?

Diamondback
03-03-20, 16:07
How about coming up with something original to spread your disease as opposed to ****ing with my childhood?

Amen, brother. Amen.

jpmuscle
03-03-20, 16:21
(Very loosely) “based on the book by Jack London”, which I was fond of in High School.

This “woke” shit is clear out of control.

My hope is the crap “they” are portraying as what we should aspire to, if not currently be mainstream, is not the majority sentiment.
We are toast if it is.

So COW was no good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
03-03-20, 16:27
As a general rule of thumb, keep your kids away from anything Disney.

Maybe if we did Roots but made it about the white slave trade and the Barbary pirates.

https://technoracism.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/800px-captain_walter_croker_horror_stricken_at_algiers_1815.jpg?w=816&h=9999

gaijin
03-03-20, 18:27
So COW was no good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a given that movies are never as good as the (with few exceptions), my expectations were low to begin with.
Still, keeping it civil, I was disappointed with the movie.

To paraphrase Titsonritz; “quit ****ing with my childhood”.

SteyrAUG
03-03-20, 20:35
Probably a given that movies are never as good as the (with few exceptions), my expectations were low to begin with.
Still, keeping it civil, I was disappointed with the movie.

To paraphrase Titsonritz; “quit ****ing with my childhood”.

Hell, I want my father's childhood back. When he and his brother were in junior high they bought surplus rifles (03 Springfield and a 17 Enfield) at the local department store then rode them home on their bicycles. There is a picture of them I remember from my grandparents house walking down the sidewalk with slung rifles and a backpack of 30.06 because they were going to the "shooting spot" on the edge of town.

As they crossed Main Street the only things passerby's would ask them is "You boys going to do some shooting?"

Try that today.

63Qcode
03-04-20, 13:44
SteyrAUG ..... your Father`s childhood was also mine . Bought my first rifle when I was 12 , a bolt action Winchester Mdl69A 22 Caliber at a local hardware store ..... and still have it .
Bought my next one when I was 15 from a downtown LGS .... Winchester Mdl 77 semi 22, walked through town to the bus and took it home . No one called the SWAT team or fainted , and I still have that one . Used to ride my bike , with the rifle , to the dump to shoot rats , no big deal .

Today , I would probably be under the jail if I tried to do that.

SteyrAUG
03-04-20, 22:27
SteyrAUG ..... your Father`s childhood was also mine . Bought my first rifle when I was 12 , a bolt action Winchester Mdl69A 22 Caliber at a local hardware store ..... and still have it .
Bought my next one when I was 15 from a downtown LGS .... Winchester Mdl 77 semi 22, walked through town to the bus and took it home . No one called the SWAT team or fainted , and I still have that one . Used to ride my bike , with the rifle , to the dump to shoot rats , no big deal .

Today , I would probably be under the jail if I tried to do that.

From what I was told, during the late 50s / early 60s there was a shooting range on the edge of town which amounted to a hill that functioned as a natural backstop and a few rail road ties on the ground where kids could set up cans and bottles. On any given weekend there would be a half dozen kids shooting mostly unsupervised with no real incidents. My father remembers sometime during the day one of the local LEOs would stop by to make sure everyone knew what they were doing and give refresher courses on gun safety as needed. And if it was a really slow saturday he might demonstrate his marksmanship.

As you said, if that happened today...

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-05-20, 00:51
I could care less, but I find it interesting in that they can do this, but in reverse they all scream "Cultural misappropriation!!!!".

This is America, there can't be any cultural misappropriation in a melting pot...

Diamondback
03-05-20, 00:59
I could care less, but I find it interesting in that they can do this, but in reverse they all scream "Cultural misappropriation!!!!".

This is America, there can't be any cultural misappropriation in a melting pot...

Allow me to demonstrate the proper response...

*swiftly toss bird right in their face* "This middle finger brought to you by the letters G, F, Y!"

:)

tommyrott
03-06-20, 23:44
My memories of Disneyland in the 60's included never being allowed to go to the bathroom alone because of the Chester's, and when playing outside in the park across the street from my Aunt's house in Long Beach my friends and I quickly learned to not let any strange adult male near us. But on the cheerful side going to the dump was awesome because we would shoot rats when dumping, my one uncle has talked about working on a ranch in the hills east of Long Beach in the late 40's early 50's part of his pay was a box of 22lr every day he worked plus permission to shoot all the squirrels he could as the property owner had pecan trees. The point of his story was being able to tie his rifle to the handlebars of his bicycle and ride across Long Beach with out being hassled by anyone including police which when he was telling the story in the 70's we all commented not anymore. Haven't been back to California since 81

odugrad
03-07-20, 10:24
Disney has gone downhill so fast as of late. As a parent of small children, I've watched a lot of what Disney has put out in recent years.

They have their first openly gay animated character in the cartoon "Onward".

militarymoron
03-07-20, 10:36

I'm surprised they didn't change Buck to a cat; as cats as under represented in Hollywood vs. dogs.

BoringGuy45
03-07-20, 18:50
Disney has gone downhill so fast as of late. As a parent of small children, I've watched a lot of what Disney has put out in recent years.

They have their first openly gay animated character in the cartoon "Onward".

That's why we stick to the classics. With the exception of some of the Pixar movies, Disney has barely made a good animated movie at all since the 90s. Every time they do one of these live action remakes, they have to insert of progressive alter call in it somewhere.