PDA

View Full Version : Damn, I've got the Glock bug...

ShipWreck
03-04-20, 10:10
For people who know me, I am a HUGE DA/SA guy. Have been for years. Sure, I've owned several striker fired guns over 20+ years - but they really have not been my think for the past 12-14 years or so.

Anyway, the Glock 48 caught my attention a few months back. But, I have bought so many guns over the years (3 digits worth), and didn't like them after I owned them. I didn't wanna make that mistake again.

Well, my local range finally got one to rent. I rented it a couple of weeks ago, and I loved it. This gun is fantastic for a guy with smaller hands. But, it still has a 4" barrel. I had the shop order me a blue label one with Ameriglo sights. It came in a few days later, and I took it to the range. Shot very tight groups compared to some of my other guns. Now, it is in my carry rotation.

The gun is very accurate. I like the way it shoots, and it fits my hands better than the double stack G19. What I like it that while it is thinner, it's not TOO thin. The Shield and the XDe seem almost TOO thin. But, the width of the G48 fits my hands just perfect. I only added a Hogue Jr grip to it, because I like rubber grips on most of my guns.

Now, I'm wanting a Glock 43X. Damn, what is happening to me... :D

https://i.imgur.com/hcmmmvo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LSWL4kR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CvvrsP7.jpg

jmoore
03-04-20, 11:40
If you contract the Glock bug - first off, be glad it isn’t the Corona virus.
Second - go out and shoot a few hundred rounds through a nice 1911. That has cured many who were previously infected with the Glock bug:)

geezer john

WillBrink
03-04-20, 12:02
I can only say for myself, times I have had Glock bug, handling them at the store and or shooting them, cured me real fast. When the 19 came out I admit my curiosity was re booted. The ergos cured me of that.

But, as you liked the ergo ( I have not tried a 48 myself) found it accurate, and GTG, I say go for it! Also, for a single stack 9mm, perhaps rent an S&W Shield too. Legions of Shield out there and they've sold a ton of them.

ShipWreck
03-04-20, 12:07
If you contract the Glock bug - first off, be glad it isn’t the Corona virus.
Second - go out and shoot a few hundred rounds through a nice 1911. That has cured many who were previously infected with the Glock bug:)

geezer john

Actually, I have owned twelve 1911s over the years, including 2 high end Dan Wessons, 2 Ed Brown Special Forces, and a Springfield Custom Shop 1911. So, I am familiar with 1911s. For me, they have always been range tpys. I haven't carried a 1911 since the late 1990s. And for now, weight is an issue for me for a carry gun. I have SI joint issues, and anything heavier than my Hk P2000 causes me hip pain.

But, for a carry gun, I don't want to have to deactivate any safety levers.

I am transitioning back to striker fired guns as a carry gun, which takes some time getting used to after carrying DA/SA guns for over a decade. But, that APX Centurion I bought back in June of last year has been pushing me back towards striker fired guns. And, the frame size on this Glock is just perfect. Not double stack, but just slightly fatter than something like an M&P Shield.

I've previously owned 3 G17s, a G19, a G26 and two G34s. So, I know Glocks. But, it's been several years since I've had one. And, this G48 is my favorite of them all.

ShipWreck
03-04-20, 12:09
But, as you liked the ergo ( I have not tried a 48 myself) found it accurate, and GTG, I say go for it! Also, for a single stack 9mm, perhaps rent an S&W Shield too. Legions of Shield out there and they've sold a ton of them.

Yes, I have smaller hands. The double stack Glocks are not nearly as comfortable, I agree. I looked at a G19x a few times over the last year - and yea, the ergos don't do it for me. But, this G48 frame is just perfect. You should hold one and see.

Circle_10
03-04-20, 13:05
I got out of Glocks a while ago, recognizing that they were good guns but not really liking then myself. Over the years I’ve had a G23, G19, G34, and a G26. Only the G23 remains because despite my not being fond of it, and the caliber becoming less relevant by the day, it is still common enough that I felt it prudent to have something in .40 kicking around in the event that was the only handgun ammo I could get for some reason.

However something about the G48 appealed to me, and back at the end of December I bought one.

Well fast forward to now and I’ve got a whole thread going about my G48 in this very sub forum, trying to diagnose some malfunctions. But aside from the couple unexplained hiccups I will say that I too am very fond of the 48. The fact I bothered to start the thread at all should be an indication of how much I like the gun actually, I wouldn’t be so perturbed by malfunctions in a gun I didn’t really care about (like the G23 haha)
And I’ve fired several hundred more rounds since the malfs with no further problems yet either. So....still kind of unexplained but not recurring as of right now.

I also traded for a G45 a several weeks back now. I only have about 250 rounds through this gun because it’s kind of been on the back burner while I mess with the 48 and continue to practice with my current carry gun, a VP9SK. However my overall impressions of the G45 are quite positive so far.

WillBrink
03-04-20, 13:29
Yes, I have smaller hands. The double stack Glocks are not nearly as comfortable, I agree. I looked at a G19x a few times over the last year - and yea, the ergos don't do it for me. But, this G48 frame is just perfect. You should hold one and see.

Between the V9 for large capacity CCW, and the Shield for thin low profile carry, both have truly excellent ergos, 48 does not have a role to play in my needs. I will definitely take a look at one if/when I'm in a gun store, but I also never liked the trigger, sites, or grip angle of Glocks.

Only Glock I actually liked that I have been tempted a few times to own, is the 20. In my non professional opinion, the best of the Glock pistols.

If you get a 48, report back when you have 500-1k rnds through it.

sundance435
03-04-20, 13:30
Every other handgun I've owned was bought, at the most basic level, because having all Glocks gets boring. The only other handgun to ever give me a second's pause from owning anything but Glock 9s was a HK VP9, and, in the end, the Glocks still won because I can work on them myself and readily have or can get spare parts. Just my opinion, but until we move technologically past traditional ammunition fired from a handheld platform, there will not be anything that beats a Glock 9 overall as a handgun. Same goes for a DI AR rifle from a reputable maker.

ChazC93
03-04-20, 14:58
Good choice on the G-Lock. You wont be disappointed. Once you learn to shoot it, you'll be set!

The_War_Wagon
03-04-20, 16:49
Damn, I've got the Glock bug...

Ughhh... go take 2 aspirin and a nap until it passes... :bad:

yoni
03-04-20, 18:29
I am without any of my CZ's right now. I am using a Glock 19, and I don't like it at all compared to my CZ's.

MegademiC
03-04-20, 21:31
Id never say I got the “bug” for a gun,
But glocks generally run, are accurate, and have huge aftermarket support(holsters, the rare part that may not fit you).
I’ve ditched others for them for the low drama, and have yet to look elsewhere.

Be objective, not emotional or viral.
This is the way.

ShipWreck
03-04-20, 21:41
Be objective, not emotional or viral.
This is the way.

I've owned 3 digits worth of guns over 25+ years. I don't usually get excited about a gun anymore. I've owned them all.

But for my hand size, this new frame size of the G48 and G43x is really awesome. Been a while since I've been excited about a gun.

m1a_scoutguy
03-05-20, 01:12
Glocks are great guns no doubt! They work, function, accurate enough and yes support is WORLDWIDE !!! A million++ cops can't be wrong I guess, LOL I have had them through the years and they were always there for me. I always wanted a G19 and finally got one a year or so ago,, hell Americas #1 gun, right? I hated it, sold it after 3 months and 1K rds down the tube,just not my "thang". I am a CZ guy and have been for several years,yes they have some shortcomings but I typically don't notice or have any real issues with mine. I'm just a normal guy that shoots alot and if I have to choose,its always CZ ! I will say I got a hell of a deal on a 19X and I really like it,,most accurate Glock I have ever had,I put a set of Dawson sights on it and it shoots exacttly where its pointed with no low/left,or any other weird places,dam good gun. Anyways if ya got the Bug then so be it, there are worse things ya could have I guess. My ideal is buy 3 of the one ya like the best,,,one for range work/competion,etc,one for carry and one safe queen for a back up to your back up ! Spend the rest of your $$$$ on Ammo,"good gear",training and general shooting sports with your new found bug guns,,,LOL !

MegademiC
03-05-20, 06:22
I've owned 3 digits worth of guns over 25+ years. I don't usually get excited about a gun anymore. I've owned them all.

But for my hand size, this new frame size of the G48 and G43x is really awesome. Been a while since I've been excited about a gun.

Re-reading that- I wasnt trying come across as a dick. Nothing wrong with being excited about finding a gun that works for you. I think I interpreted “bug” differently than you meant.

ChazC93
03-05-20, 08:39
I am without any of my CZ's right now. I am using a Glock 19, and I don't like it at all compared to my CZ's.

CZ's are great firearms as well. We live in a great time for guns. Great options everywhere.

WillBrink
03-05-20, 09:08

Less yapping, more buying! :neo:

ShipWreck
03-05-20, 11:32
Re-reading that- I wasnt trying come across as a dick. Nothing wrong with being excited about finding a gun that works for you. I think I interpreted “bug” differently than you meant.

I hear ya. Thanks

ShipWreck
03-05-20, 11:32
Less yapping, more buying! :neo:

I was once the best customer at the local gun shop :P

Also...

I doubt it will ever happen - But as the 48 is basically a single stack Glock 19.... I'd love to see them make a single stack G17 or G34. With the longer grip, they could probably make a 12 round mag. If they ever did that, I'd buy one....

Rockhill12
03-05-20, 13:53
I was bit by the glock bug last year and never went back own 4 now and am hunting down a glock 34

matemike
03-06-20, 14:14
The 48 was not on my list at all since I have my bases covered with a 19 and a shield...but then I held a 48 and 43x at my lgs and now I want both. I might acquire one or the other even before I get a second "back-up" 19. (as of now I shoot my 19 better than any other of my 6 pistols)

I'd mod up a new 48 or 43x with sights and trigger right away. Then mags and lots of range time before I make it one of my carry guns. But they sure do feel nice, I'll give ya that.

ShipWreck
03-06-20, 21:59
The 48 was not on my list at all since I have my bases covered with a 19 and a shield...but then I held a 48 and 43x at my lgs and now I want both. I might acquire one or the other even before I get a second "back-up" 19. (as of now I shoot my 19 better than any other of my 6 pistols)

I'd mod up a new 48 or 43x with sights and trigger right away. Then mags and lots of range time before I make it one of my carry guns. But they sure do feel nice, I'll give ya that.

Yes, when you get a chance to hold a 48, the grip just feels right I think it is more of a big deal for people with smaller hands. I have small hands, and the G48 is just perfect.

flenna
03-07-20, 07:11
I view my Glocks like I view my DeWalt 20v cordless drill- dependable tools that work every single time. They aren't sexy and exciting but I know they will hit what I aim at and go bang every time I pull the trigger. And that's why I carry a Glock as a defensive handgun.

AndyLate
03-07-20, 21:24
I view my Glocks like I view my DeWalt 20v cordless drill- dependable tools that work every single time. They aren't sexy and exciting but I know they will hit what I aim at and go bang every time I pull the trigger. And that's why I carry a Glock as a defensive handgun.

That's my feeling toward them as well. I love my wife's .45 Colt New Vaquero and my BHP, but the Glock 19 is the gun they will bury me with.

Andy

ShipWreck
03-08-20, 13:12
Well, I rented the 43X on Thursday. I did not like it as much as the Glock 48 either. I thought it had more recoil than my 9mm version 1 Shield. So, I am going to pass on the 43x for now. The G48 just feels perfect.

As a huge DA/SA carry guy, even I am surprised that I now find myself carrying a Glock again.

Rockhill12
03-09-20, 13:08
That's my feeling toward them as well. I love my wife's .45 Colt New Vaquero and my BHP, but the Glock 19 is the gun they will bury me with.

Andy

I just said that the other day to my buddy--when I die send my glock 19x with me

WillBrink
03-09-20, 13:57
Yes, when you get a chance to hold a 48, the grip just feels right I think it is more of a big deal for people with smaller hands. I have small hands, and the G48 is just perfect.

If so, would be the first Glock I have ever held that did that. For me, they ranged from not the worst I ever held, such as the newer Gen 17, and surprisingly the 20, to "why would anyone willingly own this thing?" response to it. If I see one in a store, will check it out at least.

ShipWreck
03-09-20, 20:22
If so, would be the first Glock I have ever held that did that. For me, they ranged from not the worst I ever held, such as the newer Gen 17, and surprisingly the 20, to "why would anyone willingly own this thing?" response to it. If I see one in a store, will check it out at least.

Yes, check it out. I have carried it a week, and I periodically practice holstering and unholstering it. I am still impressed with the way the grip feels

awmp
03-15-20, 20:33
I really got the Glock bug when the Gen 5s came out with front serrations and NO cut out in the grip.
Now I have two Gen 5 G19s (one of which is MOS) and two G45s (one which is MOS).

MegademiC
03-16-20, 20:52
I really got the Glock bug when the Gen 5s came out with front serrations and NO cut out in the grip.
Now I have two Gen 5 G19s (one of which is MOS) and two G45s (one which is MOS).

I was actually pleasantly surprised to find the cutout did not impede reloads by any measurable amount. I can appreciate some may have their finger naturally in that location (which could cause issues shooting and reloading), but not the case for me... i fully expected it to be detrimental.

epsilon_v1
03-18-20, 00:31
It but me too - just purchased a 19M!

ShipWreck
03-19-20, 12:20
It but me too - just purchased a 19M!

Congrats!

caporider
03-19-20, 15:14
I had the Glock bug for a few months in 2018 but my antibodies kicked in and now I'm disease-free.

Edm
03-20-20, 15:21
I know what you are saying about how it feels. I went with the 43x. And my hands aren’t small. It still feels perfect. Only thing I did was add trijicons. Shoots really nice and is amazingly comfortable to carry. I have carried many Glocks over the last 20 years from a G29 to a 26. This was noticeably better than even the 26.