PDA

View Full Version : H&K contract award

Slater
03-04-20, 16:38
From today's DoD contract announcements:

"Heckler & Koch Defense Inc.,* Ashburn, Virginia, was awarded a $33,500,000 modification (P00028) to contract W15QKN-16-D-0051 for the Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper Systems and the Squad Designated Marksman Rifle. Bids were solicited via the internet with one received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of March 16, 2022. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity."

Since this is a contract modification, presumably the Army is satisfied with these rifles?

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/2102247/

SteyrAUG
03-04-20, 22:19
Anything is better than Colt.

*Joking*

BoringGuy45
03-04-20, 23:01
I can't help but wonder if this is yet another backdoor way of getting the 416 as the new service rifle like the Corps did with the M27. I know that this is the 417, but I can't help if this will be a foot in the door for sneaking in another "ultra compact sniper system" for whatever purpose they dream up, that just happens to be a 416 variant, or something of that nature. Then that suddenly becomes general issue.

hotrodder636
03-05-20, 19:00
Good to hear! Hopefully some more contracts like this will get HK out of the financial woes.

sundance435
03-06-20, 11:20
double tap

sundance435
03-06-20, 11:20
I can't help but wonder if this is yet another backdoor way of getting the 416 as the new service rifle like the Corps did with the M27. I know that this is the 417, but I can't help if this will be a foot in the door for sneaking in another "ultra compact sniper system" for whatever purpose they dream up, that just happens to be a 416 variant, or something of that nature. Then that suddenly becomes general issue.

Anything's possible, but it the latest M-4 replacement contract seems to be all-in on caseless or case-telescoped ammo and a caliber other than 5.56. That wouldn't stop them from just shitcanning the whole thing and buying the 416, though, but I really don't see them giving an initial award like that to a foreign company - plus there would be protests galore.

Failure2Stop
03-06-20, 12:10
It's the HK CSASS derivative 7.62 Squad DM rifle.
They already bought a decent amount, this is a follow-on order.

BoringGuy45
03-06-20, 12:51
Anything's possible, but it the latest M-4 replacement contract seems to be all-in on caseless or case-telescoped ammo and a caliber other than 5.56. That wouldn't stop them from just shitcanning the whole thing and buying the 416, though, but I really don't see them giving an initial award like that to a foreign company - plus there would be protests galore.

I don't see the whole caseless/telescoped round thing going anywhere. They want to make a decision in 2 years to reequip the entire Army with technology that hasn't even reached the proof of concept stage yet? I just don't see it happening. It'll likely go the way of the OICW.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we adopt a foreign design. First, 30 years ago, they discarded the good ol' American 1911 .45 for a 9mm Italian pistol. Under protest? Yes, but it still happened. 120 years ago, we, for a short time, adopted a Norwegian rifle over various American designs. In the case of the 416, those who are stuck in the "not invented here" mentality could probably take some solace in the fact that the 416 based on an American designed rifle and with an operating system based on a system designed by that same American. Basically, it's an American design with German technology.

But yeah, I was just speculating on one of many scenarios. Likely, the 5.56mm M4 isn't going to go anywhere anytime soon.

MistWolf
03-07-20, 01:06
...Basically, it's an American design with German over engineering...

Fixed it for ya