PDA

View Full Version : Turkish police move to Greek Border

mack7.62
03-05-20, 09:01
Someone needs to remind Erdogan how opening a two front war worked out for Hitler.

Turkish police move to stop Greece pushing migrants back

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51752686

Turkey says it is deploying 1,000 police officers to its land border with Greece to halt the pushback of migrants into Turkey.

EU solidarity with Greece

In a statement, the EU Council - representing the 27 foreign ministers - said the council "expresses its solidarity with Greece" and "strongly rejects Turkey's use of migratory pressure for political purposes".

"This situation at EU's external borders is not acceptable." The council demanded that Turkey implement the 2016 EU-Turkey agreement, which obliged Turkey to block illegal migration into Greece.

BoringGuy45
03-05-20, 09:07
What's NATO's position if two NATO countries start going at it?

mack7.62
03-05-20, 09:21
I would think it would have to be to support the country that was aligned with NATO policy not the one acting against it. Past time for Turkey to get booted.

Whiskey_Bravo
03-05-20, 10:50
I would think it would have to be to support the country that was aligned with NATO policy not the one acting against it. Past time for Turkey to get booted.

Way past time

Jellybean
03-05-20, 11:24
In a statement, the EU Council...said the council "expresses its solidarity with Greece" and "strongly rejects Turkey's use of migratory pressure for political purposes".

Oh, the irony...

Diamondback
03-05-20, 12:48
If Turks cross the Greek border helping the horde invade, seems to me that's an Act of War and Article V time.

And if it's war, might as well throw 'em off Cyprus too.

lowprone
03-05-20, 12:52
WAY, WAY, past time !

sundance435
03-05-20, 13:30
Someone needs to remind Erdogan how opening a two front war worked out for Hitler.

Actually a 3 front war as they get deeper into Libya.

There's still the matter of the B61 bombs at Incirlik that we haven't done anything about.

03-05-20, 14:08
Actually a 3 front war as they get deeper into Libya.

There's still the matter of the B61 bombs at Incirlik that we haven't done anything about.

“Render safe”.

titsonritz
03-05-20, 15:52
How the hell is Turkey even a member of NATO let alone still a member?

jpmuscle
03-05-20, 16:31
My good buddy is Greek and hails from Kalamata, still has family there and what not.

OMG the stories of all this are wild. Greeks are BIG MAD. And justifiably so, albeit much of it is their govs doing but folks are beyond fed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mack7.62
03-05-20, 17:54
“Render safe”.

When I was guarding nukes I learned how to do this with a 40 lb shaped charge, course you wouldn't want to hang around or be downwind afterwards. :cool: Funny the technicians never would tell me how many nukes we were guarding "need to know" but ask how many shaped charges do we have "oh XX".:confused:

ABNAK
03-05-20, 18:08
This is akin to Mexican police being used to prevent us from turning back illegals. Riiiiight…...

kirkland
03-05-20, 22:48
This is crazy I was just in Turkey in January and I took a boat over to the Greek Islands and back. I remember watching something on the news there about tensions increasing over the refugee situation. I don't know much about their politics, but nice people there, in Turkey.

SomeOtherGuy
03-06-20, 08:45

I can think of a way to render those inert and address Erdogan, all without needing any shaped charges or demo experts.... just some code numbers and Trump's OK.

The Ottoman Empire was pretty nasty (Armenian genocide and all), but Turkey seemed like an OK country until Erdogan became a tinhat dictator. Have to think that purging Erdogan and his most loyal supporters could do wonders of good without needing to harm Turkey overall.

Alpha-17
03-06-20, 09:09
I'm not sure Greece could stand up to Turkey on its own. It's recent history of doing so (last couple hundred years) haven't exactly been a history of success. And if the reports of mass rioting in Greece are true, they've got their own troubles to deal with, and likely can't take too much exterior pressure.

Diamondback
03-06-20, 09:18
I'm not sure Greece could stand up to Turkey on its own. It's recent history of doing so (last couple hundred years) haven't exactly been a history of success. And if the reports of mass rioting in Greece are true, they've got their own troubles to deal with, and likely can't take too much exterior pressure.

Which makes me suspect, given the long history of Greek-Turk bad blood, that this was deliberately timed intending to push Greece in particular off the cliff.

Alpha-17
03-06-20, 09:20
Which makes me suspect, given the long history of Greek-Turk bad blood, that this was deliberately timed intending to push Greece in particular off the cliff.

Entirely possible. I'm super skeptical of Turkey, and wouldn't be surprised to see them become extremely aggressive and expansive. Syria and Greece are the two areas that would be easiest for them to expand into, as long as they can keep from going completely toe-to-toe with the Russians.

Diamondback
03-06-20, 09:53
We know Erdogan fancies himself at least Sultan of a rebuilt Ottoman Empire, if not an outright Caliph.

Working it backward, what's his "dream ladder" to get there, and which rungs can we cut that make him fall and go Splat?

sundance435
03-06-20, 11:30

It's not a coincidence. Nothing Erdogan does is coincidental - dumb, yes, but not coincidental. He's the Putin of the Near East. Well, actually, a lot of the Near East is full of Putins, but I digress.