PDA

View Full Version : OH-6A Cayuse in Vietnam

Slater
03-05-20, 18:17
Thought this was an interesting news clipping from "way back in the day". Not sure that you could use that name nowadays :D

I stand to be corrected on this, but from reading various books and articles on the topic, it would seem that in terms of sustained, intense combat involving helicopters, nobody can hold a candle to those Army aircrew in Vietnam.

https://i.imgur.com/z2H7BSpl.jpg

mack7.62
03-05-20, 18:37
The OH-6 was a tough little bird, too bad Howard got greedy and lost the follow on contract to Bell.

DrMark
03-05-20, 18:45
As helicopters go, it's a rather crashworthy design, an aspect that lives on in the Little Bird.

OH58D
03-05-20, 19:35
As helicopters go, it's a rather crashworthy design, an aspect that lives on in the Little Bird.
For the most part it was a solid design, including the upgrade in 1980, but in 1985 I took small arms fire into the tail rotor of my MH-6 while landing, causing rotor transmission failure, spun @ 2 times and dropped about 75-80 feet, landing on the skids and the tail boom separated. My only injury was an L5-S1 bulge in a disc requiring back surgery. Full recovery. My co-pilot had a cut on his right arm.

HardToHandle
03-05-20, 20:25
1985?
That sounds like an interesting story... Very happy you are in the shape that you can drop those type of hints.

OH58D
03-05-20, 20:48
1985?
That sounds like an interesting story... Very happy you are in the shape that you can drop those type of hints.
Nothing classified now. It was during Iran-Contra. Approaching a jungle LZ clearing in support of another aircraft with mechanical issues. Came under fire from hidden shooters in the trees despite the fact it was supposed to be a "friendly" area. The other aircraft was a vintage UH-1H transporting US Government "civilians" making contact with the locals. All of us hunkered down with guns at the ready awaiting evac from two other rotorcraft inbound around an hour later. Not a fun day laying in the mud with that ruptured disc in my back. I was a 25 year old 1LT.

Slater
03-05-20, 20:56
Comparing the overall performance of the original OH-6A with the later MH/AH interations, I'm guessing the later versions had more power and lifting capability?

OH58D
03-05-20, 21:06
Comparing the overall performance of the original OH-6A with the later MH/AH interations, I'm guessing the later versions had more power and lifting capability?
For insertion operations with two pilots and four operators on outboard benches using the FRIES bars, you'd allow for a payload of around 1500 lbs max including gear for maximum maneuverability. Two pilots and just a sling load, around 2200 lbs depending on altitude. This is for the MH-6.