PDA

View Full Version : Best = Most Reliable CCW 1911

heijutsu
11-21-08, 14:44
I am in the market for a CCW and am thinking about going with a 1911 in a Commander size frame. I have been looking so far at the Springfield Champion Operator or the Kimber Pro Covert II. Anyone have any experience with either or know of a good reliable CCW 1911?

theJanitor
11-21-08, 14:48
are those full size frames? if so, then get a 5" 1911. they'll run better and won't diminish their concealability by much, if any.

BigDog
11-21-08, 16:38
Not a Covert, but I have a Kimber Pro Carry II that's one of the most reliable and accurate pistolas I own.

NoBody
11-21-08, 16:50
Deleted.

toddackerman
11-21-08, 19:12
I have a Colt Combat Commander that has 20,000 rounds through it with no weapon related malfs. I have had a few problems with questionable mags (beat up range mags with cracks etc.), but my Tripp Cobra carry mags run 100%.

Northerntier1
11-22-08, 02:11
I have a Springfield Armory GI Champ with the four inch barrel. Runs a bull barrel like the operator. When I run Wilson Combat magazines the guns runs 100% to the point of boring reliability. I say go with the Springfield Armory. When I have called their customer service to check if a order had shipped they were very nice and helpful.

Abraxas
11-22-08, 07:06
As long as I don't use the 10rnd mags(which you wouldn't for carry) ant stick to my 7 or 8 rounders my Kimber Tac Pro has been super reliable. Now it is not the absolute best 1911in the world, but it has done well by me.

bgoode
11-22-08, 08:05
I chose a Baer TRS for my fall/winter CCW. I carry 7 round Wilsons. In the summer I carry a PRE SERIES II Kimber 4" slide on an officer grip. Its been 100% so far with about 500 rounds through it. My next officer gripped gun will be a Baer Stinger if I can scrape up the cash next year.

jaydoc1
11-22-08, 09:26
This type question on a forum always amuses me because the replies are always going to be based on the replying individuals personal experience and bias. Unless you get lucky enough to get an answer from someone who has shot every model out there thousands of times under all sorts of different circumstances then it's just not an answerable question. There really can't be a verifiable "best" 1911".

If you are looking for a super-accurate 1911 then a Wilson/Ed Brown/Nighthawk/other super-expensive custom house gun will do right by you. If you are looking for a reliable, non-finicky 1911 thAt will go "bang" every time you pull the trigger then a looser "rattletrap" Colt with a basic reliability package might be more what you're looking for. That's what I carry. My other 1911's are what I shoot at the range.

Tight guns shoot great groups but tend to be more finicky. Loose guns shoot more reliably with some small measure of decreased accuracy. They also don't get as many oohs and ahs at the range when people see them.

Is my Colt the "best" CCW Commander? Who knows? Probably not. Or maybe it is.

markm
11-22-08, 09:34
Saying which 1911, X or Y, is more reliable is impossible. Each 1911 is its own animal. You might luck out and get a reliable one from either maker...

or you might crap out. :confused:

jaydoc1
11-22-08, 10:04
Saying which 1911, X or Y, is more reliable is impossible. Each 1911 is its own animal. You might luck out and get a reliable one from either maker...

or you might crap out. :confused:

That's another good point. Any company can have a lemon come off the line.

heijutsu
11-22-08, 19:30
Thanks guys I picked up a Pro Covert II today.

cpekz
11-23-08, 22:37
I enjoy carrying my CCO Colt Gunsite Pistol. Commander length slide with alloy officer's model frame. It's my personal favorite combo for a non full-length 1911. Very light and reliable. I'm not sure if they make them anymore. Nighthawk's T3 is the same setup though, I think.

restfortheweary
11-24-08, 03:47
Can't say which is the best. But I own a Wilson, several Kimber's and a John Harrison custom and my off duty carry is a Dan Wesson CBOB. Conceals great inside the waistband and has over 2800 rnds through it with out a malfunction. TRIPP or Wilson mags are a must.

citadelshooter
11-25-08, 22:19
For those who had these type of questions on the SAT Test.

Choose what fits best.

A. Unreliable:Glock
B. Reliable:1911
C. Reliable:Glock
D. Unreliable:1911

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

POF.Ops
11-26-08, 00:01
My CCW is a Kimber Tactical Ultra II with Tripp Cobramags. Any other mag brand and it is not reliable enough for CC. For me there is a noticeable difference in carry comfort with the Commander size compared to 5".

citadelshooter - let me guess you've never owned a 1911, but you have owned/own a Glock.

DacoRoman
11-27-08, 00:15
What is the quality of the Colt Series 70 reissues? Can one consider them out of the box reliable?

tahoe
11-27-08, 18:46
I

I am in my 13th year as a police officer with Houston. The last two as a Sgt. I have carried a 1911 since I got off of probation and had a choice in sidearms. As a side note, since 1997 officers may only choose .40 cal in a Glock 22 or 23, Sig P229 or P226, Smith M/P, or Springfield XD.

Ok here goes. I have carried full size 5" 1911's as my duty sidearm. I started with a Colt series 80 and when this crapped out (shot a lot) I moved to a Kimber TLE.

The Kimber while it shot very well experienced a weird stoppage with a frequency that I could not tolerate in a duty weapon. Last round stoppage, did not matter what magazines were used. I contacted Kimber, this was in 2004 and was treated as a nincompoop. Really no help. I liked the pistol but could not handle the malfunction. I hope you Kimber fans will understand this.

I then was looking at a Wilson CQB and my wife (got to love her) said, "just buy a Les Baer". So I went with a Les Baer Police Special. This is a version of the SRP without the ambi safety. Well I don't shoot much for a cop, but I have passed 8000 rds thru this pistol with zero malfunctions.

Ok now for off duty. I have used a Springfield Champion LWT 45 acp and loved that gun. This has been replaced with a Para Ord LTC LWT 9 M/M commander. Don't worry, yes I said 9 M/M. The weapon shoots well and after a break of about 200 rds in it has had zero issues. I will say that my experience with para's, at least the commander lengths indicate a need for a break in. After aprox 2000 rds now the weapon just chugs along. Light recoil and 9 plus 1 capacity.

Just to throw a fly in all of this, I also own a 1927 Argentine 1911-A1. With the nasty old military sights this gun will group a decent 1" -2" at 15 yards. I only added this to emphasize sometimes there is no need for all the bells and whistles.

I am by no means an expert. I try to shoot about once every two weeks, about 200-400 rds. I figure my life is worth this. The Les Baer is easy to carry off duty but it does get heavy. The Para LWT is just that, light weight so this is the primary off duty of choice.

My two cents, Figure out which 1911 style you like. Try to go shooting with as many of your buddies who own 1911's and test them out. Then what ever you buy, doesn't matter the brand or size as long as you like it. Learn to shoot that weapon.

I hope this has not turned in a ranting or anything. And I have not tried to offend anyone. Just passing on some experience and maybe some helpful information.

Steve C
Houston TX

Vom Kriege
11-27-08, 18:57
I've got a Kimber Ultra Carry and a Springfield Loaded. I "like" the Kimber more, but the Springer is more robust and has a series 70 trigger.

If I was buying another 1911, I'd be very tempted to go with the Kimber Tactical Pro if I were getting a carry gun.

tahoe
11-27-08, 19:12
Hey again, I just posted some thoughts and ramblings. I forgot to mention or include the "list". And I did mention my wife in the earlier post, about how she just said to buy the Les Baer over the Wilson Combat. Well that was in May or June of 2004 when I brought the Baer home. She bought me a Wilson CQB for my birthday that August. Her reason, "well you didn't have one". She is a keeper.

I mentioned also that my Colt Series 80 crapped out on me. Let me try to explain. This was a good weapon, accurate and ran well. Then I started to tinker by adding night sights, different hammers, grip safeties. You know, mr potatoe head. I had the sights and any action work done by gunsmiths as I am not trained in that black art. The gun still ran and ran and ran. I have honestly lost count on the rounds I put thru that particular gun but I know it was a lot. I was shooting about twice a week then, average 150 or so each session. So 1996 to 2004 equals a lot.

I sent the gun to have some front strap checkering done and when it came back the trouble started. The weapon continually jammed on me. Looking back, it was probably a loose plunger tube but at that time I had not idea. So in Feb 2004 I bought the Kimber TLE. Like I stated this was a nice 1911. It was very accurate and felt good in the hand. The stoppages I experienced were a last round (??). Before I called Kimber customer serv I tried new mags. I made sure there were no issues with loose parts etc. The gun was stock. I think it was a Friday afternoon gun and just slipped thru. The stoppage was not consistent in the fact that it did not happen with every magazine. It just happened whenever, yet it was always the last round, slipping up in front of the extractor hook. So after about 4 months the Kimber went away. The Kimber probably had 2000 rds thru it at that time.

I am sure Kimbers are excellent weapons, just for me it was a relationship that did not work out.

Is Les Baer better than Wilson Combat. Well to me I like them both. I carry the Les Baer, and the finish shows it. (I'll try to post some pix tomorrow). The Wilson Combat is my NICE gun. Both shoot like a house-a-fire. I have seen some current Wilson's and they don't seem to be as well fitted as mine (2004). Les Baer's seem as good if not better. Another side note, My Baer has the Baer Coat and did not require the 500 rd or so mandatory break in. It is still as tight as the day I bought it.

Again, not trying to persuade or say mine are the best. Just my experience. I would love to have a Ed Brown or Clark Custom, but the finances won't allow it.

I have called Les Baer for service and have never been treated poorly. The lady I have talked to always listened and attemtped to help me. Also this brings to mind on issue with the Les Baer. The mainspring housing pin broke in two. A call to Les Baer Inc and the problem was taken care of, a new pin was in the mail free of charge. The pin recently broke, after so many rounds I can't complain. I have not put that many thru the Wilson CQB, probably only 2 or 3 thousand rounds to date. Yes you get what you pay for, but as I mentioned earlier, the Agentine 1927 shoots tight groups and has that nice rattle.

Hope this can help someone. I look forward to any questions or if something I stated is incorrect, a correction. Take care.

Steve C
Houston TX

BigJim #1-8
11-27-08, 20:52
Dan Wesson CBOB.Commander length,bobbed frame for better concealment.
First class parts,Great service!! Best value in a stock 1911 IMHO.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!