PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Customer Service Ever...Criterion Barrels.

Straight Shooter
03-12-20, 18:35
I struggled for a few days on how to relay this, as I dont want Criterion swamped with requests, or "you did it for one guy, why not me"? type crap.
But here it is, my encounter with Criterion Barrels:
Been assembling, slowly, over more than a year now, parts for a 20" precision build.
Ive been DEAD SET on getting EXACTLY the parts I wanted, hence I was on a waiting list for months waiting on a Young MFG. NM BCG.
A month or so ago- came in from work to an email..8 up for sale on website. Promptly bought one. Got it, great looking, happy, all that.
Then I got the cash for the barrel, a 20" Nitrided SS Hybrid barrel from Criterion. Called, got info & approval to send bolt for headspacing to barrel.
Did so. Called back, Mr. Mike Ross answered, and said that my bolt couldnt be headspaced, & gave me a specific reason, which I wont yet divulge until I talk to Young MFG.
I was bummed, to say the least. Mr. Ross said I could purchase a BCM bolt from him for $80 and he would headspace & send it right on out. Told him I couldnt afford that, wasnt able to finacially at that moment. Mr. Ross says "he didnt want me to be w/o my barrel, so he would GIVE me a new, un-fired BCM bolt that they had been using to headspace with". I was shocked, and after asking a couple of times "are you SURE"?...he said no problem.
So, a few days ago, I came in and there it was, a gorgeous new barrel,my Young bolt, and a AS NEW BCM bolt.
Gents- thats AWESOME in my book. I am humbled by Mr. Ross's gift. Gonna be just a tad longer before my smith can assemble the upper and me get the match ammo I need to test the barrel, but I WILL do a range report as soon as I can.
Id like to PUBLICLY again, say THANK YOU Mr. Mike Ross for your generosity. Truly appreciated.

Stickman
03-12-20, 19:05
Yeah, there will probably be stupid people who expect something for nothing after reading it, but I think it is awesome that they went that far out of their way to take care of you.

exiledtoIA
03-12-20, 20:36
They obviously want to sell you more barrels in the future.

ALCOAR
03-12-20, 20:50
Lots of good dudes in the gun biz.....equally lots of shady, or dishonest dudes in the gun business.

Nice to see threads that illuminate who's who among manufacturers.

Straight Shooter
03-12-20, 21:20
Yeah, there will probably be stupid people who expect something for nothing after reading it, but I think it is awesome that they went that far out of their way to take care of you.

I do too, Stick. Man, I was shocked. Very nice surprise. Really looking forward to getting this rifle up & running.

Straight Shooter
03-12-20, 21:21
Lots of good dudes in the gun biz.....equally lots of shady, or dishonest dudes in the gun business.

Nice to see threads that illuminate who's who among manufacturers.

Im big on recognizing people that do me a solid. Mr. Ross told me repeatedly to call him back if I have any problems or questions.

HelloLarry
03-13-20, 10:47
You got a great barrel too.

markm
03-13-20, 11:08
I'm calling them right now for free everything!!!!

IKnowNotEverything
03-13-20, 11:38
I heard Criterion is giving away hand sanitizer with each purchase! /s

Honestly though they have great customer service. They answer the phones, are informative, are friendly and rightly proud of their products. When I finish burning out my 20" BCM gov't profile, I am going to replace it with a chrome lined hybrid.

gaijin
03-13-20, 12:09
They are good; product and customer service.

I’ve used their AR barrels, .223 and .308.
All shoot really well.

Straight Shooter
03-13-20, 20:48
Thanks for the responses gents!

T2C
03-15-20, 21:56
I have been using Criterion barrels for M1 Carbines and 1903 Springfield rifles for years. Their service has always been good and the Springfield barrels are dead nuts accurate.

AndyLate
03-16-20, 07:16
I heard Criterion is giving away hand sanitizer with each purchase! /s

Honestly though they have great customer service. They answer the phones, are informative, are friendly and rightly proud of their products. When I finish burning out my 20" BCM gov't profile, I am going to replace it with a chrome lined hybrid.

I was thinking the same thing with my 18" Rainier CHF barrel - may take a while though.

390ish
03-16-20, 07:53
What’s wrong with the Young bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight Shooter
03-16-20, 17:11
What’s wrong with the Young bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All I can say..w/o giving Young a chance yet to verify, is to say it was unable to headspace to several barrels.
VERY possible nothing at all, I just havent sent it to Mr. Young yet, and I may not.

kerplode
03-17-20, 20:43
Criterion barrels are fantastic. I haven't used their AR barrels (I actually didn't realize they made them), but I'm running their stuff on a couple Garands and Carbines. All assembled smoothly and shoot better than I can hold.

It's great to hear they have stand-up customer service as well! They are already my only choice for WWII rifles and now I'll definitely give them a try for AR barrels as well. Maybe a 300BO build is in my future...

26 Inf
03-18-20, 12:23
Criterion barrels are fantastic. I haven't used their AR barrels (I actually didn't realize they made them), but I'm running their stuff on a couple Garands and Carbines. All assembled smoothly and shoot better than I can hold.

As many of you know, the CMP uses Criterion barrels in their special grade M1 Garands. I put a Special Grade together by my ownself while attending the CMP Advanced Maintenance Course. The first barrel grouped tight, but the instructors didn't like the amount of windage I would have to dial in to zero, so back to the shop for a new barrel. The first three shots out of that barrel clover leafed on the electronic target system, I made my adjustment the next two were in the X, I removed the three remaining rounds, and cleared and bagged the rifle. The RO said 'Is that all your going to shoot?' 'Yep it's zeroed and I'm on my back to Kansas.'

Since then I have 64 rounds through that rifle, and it definitely makes me look like a better shooter than I am.

Do not, repeat, do not, go into one of the CMP stores with the means to buy stuff, you'll be in trouble.

kerplode
03-18-20, 12:41
As many of you know, the CMP uses Criterion barrels in their special grade M1 Garands. I put a Special Grade together by my ownself while attending the CMP Advanced Maintenance Course. The first barrel grouped tight, but the instructors didn't like the amount of windage I would have to dial in to zero, so back to the shop for a new barrel. The first three shots out of that barrel clover leafed on the electronic target system, I made my adjustment the next two were in the X, I removed the three remaining rounds, and cleared and bagged the rifle. The RO said 'Is that all your going to shoot?' 'Yep it's zeroed and I'm on my back to Kansas.'

No shit! I did Advanced Maintenance last year...Man, what a fantastic experience! Their range in Talladega is legit. Those electronic targets are amazing.

My CMP Special from the class shoots really well as well. It was in the black straight out the gate and zeroed in less than 8 rounds. I fired a lot more than that though... ;-)

26 Inf
03-18-20, 17:46
No shit! I did Advanced Maintenance last year...Man, what a fantastic experience! Their range in Talladega is legit. Those electronic targets are amazing.

My CMP Special from the class shoots really well as well. It was in the black straight out the gate and zeroed in less than 8 rounds. I fired a lot more than that though... ;-)

Did you by any chance go to the Barber Motorcycle Museum while you were in the area?

I plan on going again in a year or so. Hopefully I'll be able to take one or both of my sons.

Did you end up buying a bunch of stuff at the CMP store? I ended up with a 1903 as well as a couple cases of ammo.

kerplode
03-18-20, 18:09
Did you by any chance go to the Barber Motorcycle Museum while you were in the area?

I plan on going again in a year or so. Hopefully I'll be able to take one or both of my sons.

Did you end up buying a bunch of stuff at the CMP store? I ended up with a 1903 as well as a couple cases of ammo.

I wanted to go to the Barber Museum, but I ended up screwing around and ran out of time. If I find my way back there again, it's on the "definitely go see" list.

Lol, yeah, totally...In addition to the class rifle, I ended up with a nice Eddystone 1917 Enfield, a case of ammo, a bunch of clips, and some assorted other little things. It's really easy to go nuts there. :-)