PDA

View Full Version : Top Two Consumer Items in U.S. This Holiday Season

BlueForce
11-21-08, 18:36
Wii? Elmo Live? iPod Touch? Guitar Hero?

No, according to retail analysts it's SAFES and GUNS.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/nov/21/safe-guns/

Americans are obviously completely satisfied with the results of the last election and are comfortably looking forward to the next four years... :eek:

Gentoo
11-22-08, 01:15
In other news, water is wet.

telecustom
11-22-08, 06:40
Guns: that's a no brainer.

Safes: so when they come get the guns, it will take longer for the ‘brown shirts’ to confiscation (steal) them.

NoBody
11-22-08, 06:55
Deleted.

L.F.O.D
11-22-08, 08:13
One in every room. That will work for me.

Gunrider
11-22-08, 10:01
I hope all the people buying those Safes read the excellent article in the new AMERICAN HANDGUNNER and remember to have them BOLTED TO THE FLOOR -- or a appliance dolly can just whisk them away...

Bat Guano
11-22-08, 11:01
Anybody who can "whisk off" my current safe is too big and tough for me to mess with...it took four of us to get it moved and damn near killed us to do it. :eek:The one before that was dropped in with a crane while the house was under construction. :D

But the lighter ones should be well anchored.

The article is correct, though--the demand for guns and safes suggests how much credibility "Hope And Change" has at the moment. Personally I'll settle for "Don't Tread On Me".

Better yet, "Get Off My Back".:mad:

BlueForce
11-22-08, 11:45
The article is correct, though--the demand for guns and safes suggests how much credibility "Hope And Change" has at the moment. Personally I'll settle for "Don't Tread On Me".

Exactly. No Christmas in my lifetime has had people running around buying "items of last resort" to the exclusion of almost all other purchases. Typically people would be out shopping for electronics and toys for their kids.

I guess I don't keep up with retail statistics as much as some others here, but I did not realize these items were not just anecdotally selling briskly, but were actually the sales leaders. I've been around a while and have never seen anything like it. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

Don Robison
11-22-08, 11:53
Exactly. No Christmas in my lifetime has had people running around buying "items of last resort" to the exclusion of almost all other purchases. Typically people would be out shopping for electronics and toys for their kids.

I guess I don't keep up with retail statistics as much as some others here, but I did not realize these items were not just anecdotally selling briskly, but were actually the sales leaders. I've been around a while and have never seen anything like it. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

Yep, it looks like electric trains and easy bake ovens are "out", AR15s and Glocks are "in" this season:D

Damn, I'm showing my age with the "out" items.

Iraq Ninja
11-22-08, 16:21
If you read the article, it states that the safes are for things other than guns, like money.

BlueForce
11-22-08, 16:56
If you read the article, it states that the safes are for things other than guns, like money.

Right, I saw something on the news about it. While a lot of these are "gun safes", they are buying them to put money and valuables in anticipation of bank failures. :eek:

Ho Ho Ho...

Gunrider
11-22-08, 18:45

My kids will have to settle for AR-15s this year.
I don't think they'll mind.

Nathan_Bell
11-22-08, 18:52

Not only are these items selling like mad, but folks are concerned they will have to use them. People asking me, "What do I do if I shoot someone?" "How long does it take the police to get to point X in the county?" Tends to make me a worried camper.

Honu
11-22-08, 19:10
as I say obamas Hope & Change to some will be:

I HOPE I dont have to shoot someone as it will CHANGE my life !