PDA

View Full Version : Expo Arms barrels

Bret
03-13-20, 10:04
Does anyone have information on Expo Arms barrels?
http://expoarms.com/
https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-combat-series-556-chrome-lined-ar15-barrel-gov-profile-midlength-16?trk_msg=TRPS8OG0J0445E2J53G67VPRUC&trk_contact=IJU1EI9GODE7T0LOQSIGFSJ8GC&trk_sid=F3R1V4UVP7DKK5MRF3RNC0H9KS&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SLOT_7&utm_campaign=20_03_AD12_FlashSale

I'm looking for a midlength chrome lined barrel without a front sight post. I bought one from Windham Weaponry a year or two ago, but they've discontinued them. From a specifications standpoint the Expo Arms midlength looks like it fits the bill, but I've never heard of them before. The purpose is plinking on full and semi auto. I don't shoot anything greater than 62gr. The WW midlength barrel I have has a 1/9 twist. Is the Expo Arms midlength 1/7 twist too much twist. Is anything known about the quality of their barrels?

dmd08
03-13-20, 10:56
I've never heard of expo arms and I can't recall ever seeing them mentioned anywhere. Maybe they produce a great barrel but personally I won't find out. I wouldn't buy a barrel that no one had ever heard of. Especially when for $45 dollars more you could get a BA barrel. BA at least seems to have a good reputation.

1/7 is fine. Every barrel I have is 1/7 and they all shoot 55/62/77 grain ammo within the accurcy limits of the ammunition.

AAMP84
03-13-20, 12:59
Someone on TOS just asked about their bcgs and said that the rep told them they're sourced from Microbest. Their receivers are Mega/Zev and their "combat" handguard is by CMT Tactical. Their ambi safety selector looks to be from Schmid Tool. No clue about who makes their barrels, but I wouldn't completely write them off considering their suppliers appear to be solid.

Blackhalo
03-13-20, 13:26
Looks to be a pretty squared away company. Early to say, but as mentioned they seem to be sourcing their stuff from quality manufacturers.

Them listing the GP size on that barrel is damn impressive too, that should be listed on all barrel specs going forward these days.

EDIT: And their rails are a solid deal and definitely a CMT. I just installed a CMT HDX mod 2 and it's very nice. Similar to SLR in the way it locks up.

Sry0fcr
03-13-20, 21:49
It's a Primary Arms house brand. They're sourcing stuff from legit OEMs though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

everready73
03-14-20, 21:49
From s couple posts I have seen in TOS it is PA s house brand with various oem's that seem to be solid.

If you are looking at the 11.5 inch barrel they did confirm gas port is. 070 which is good as well

EHilderbrand
03-15-20, 10:11
I bought one of the 11.5" Heavy Barrel's, for $130~ I paid I am VERY happy. Chrome lined, phosphate, 4150CMV, .070 Gas Port - Sure, it's not MPI and HPT, but at this point many makers are not.

hazmatt
03-15-20, 21:50
I would contact primary ams. I believe expo arms is their house brand and I believe they are sourcing their parts from reputable companies. Primary arms has always done right by me for a barrel I planned on doing full auto mag dumps with bulk pack ammo I'd give it a shot.

Bret
03-15-20, 22:26
I appreciate all the information guys. I'll go ahead and pick one up. There doesn't seem like much downside at the price.

Woundy
03-16-20, 15:13
Just wanted to point out that the handguards being sold under the Expo Arms label appear very similar to the Unbranded AR line. I'd bet most of the small parts are the same as well.

The Expo barrels however look to be from another source.

Blackhalo
03-16-20, 15:53
Just wanted to point out that the handguards being sold under the Expo Arms label appear very similar to the Unbranded AR line. I'd bet most of the small parts are the same as well.

The Expo barrels however look to be from another source.

It's already been talked about in this thread..

Their combat handguards are CMT, and are damn good for the price. They just need more lengths. They have a cheaper rail that looks like the same as Unbranded.

Uppers and lowers are mega.

BCGs seem to be microbest.

Blackhalo
03-16-20, 15:55
I appreciate all the information guys. I'll go ahead and pick one up. There doesn't seem like much downside at the price.

I think it's a good pickup. They look like a very good option, especially if you can catch one on sale.

CMT or PA needs to get that combat handguard made in 10.7" and it'd pair nicely with that 11.5"

Bret
03-18-20, 19:33
I received the barrel today. It looks pretty good to me.
https://i.postimg.cc/8zytdGbs/IMG-0272.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/tRhkSWzK/IMG-0273.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Hsd2fnZV/IMG-0274.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/qqXGNHRJ/IMG-0275.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/PJk4f5dV/IMG-0276.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/nLCT0Wd2/IMG-0279.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/8C943b9S/IMG-0280.jpg

Bret
03-18-20, 19:39
I also ordered an Expo Arms charging handle because it was $13 and made in the USA. I compared it to another that I purchased off GunBroker that was also listed as being made in the USA. The Expo Arms (bottom) has a phosphate type finish while the one I got off GunBroker has a painted type finish. They look identical otherwise. When I pressed the latch I immediately noticed that the Expo Arms latch has more resistance. Here's why...

https://i.postimg.cc/Twb0XDvW/IMG-0283.jpg

The spring in the Expo Arms charging handle is clearly thicker. I can't imagine the savings that the other manufacturer realized by using such a thin spring on the other charging handle, but it must amount to something. I can't really tell anything about the Expo Arms barrel other than the cosmetics. However, if the spring in their charging handle is representative of their attention to detail versus the competition, then I'll be all over their other products.

turnburglar
04-11-20, 22:27
I just wanted to update this thread with my own Expo Arms experiences. During this COVID gun panic I decided to put a nicer rail on my 10.5 and also decided to build a new AR out of my spare parts bin. I was able to accomplish both of these goals with expo arms parts. I think at total I have an upper, BCG, rail, MD, pistol grip, and charging handle from them. Everything has been perfect fit, and 100% function for 100 rounds. Their combat series rails are of significant value for the product that they deliver. It has the same lock up and barrel nut as the $200 CMT rails.

https://i.imgur.com/lz9C9d3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DsGYa5P.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/szfMWXV.jpg

Blackhalo
04-11-20, 22:53
I just wanted to update this thread with my own Expo Arms experiences. During this COVID gun panic I decided to put a nicer rail on my 10.5 and also decided to build a new AR out of my spare parts bin. I was able to accomplish both of these goals with expo arms parts. I think at total I have an upper, BCG, rail, MD, pistol grip, and charging handle from them. Everything has been perfect fit, and 100% function for 100 rounds. Their combat series rails are of significant value for the product that they deliver. It has the same lock up and barrel nut as the $200 CMT rails.

https://i.imgur.com/lz9C9d3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DsGYa5P.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/szfMWXV.jpg

Nice!

Yeah that rail is a damn good value. I've got a 15" CMT HDX and it's one of my favorites. Very similar in design to how SLR locks ups.

Hopefully a 10.5 or 10.7 is in the future.

titsonritz
08-10-21, 21:37
Bumping this thread to see if there is any updated info / experience on these barrels. I have a buddy that is looking at their 11.5" SOCOM profile. I have never heard of them. I see from this thread they are a Primary Arms brand name.

everready73
08-11-21, 09:43
I dont own one, but have talked to 2 guys on TOS that have bought and used these. They are happy with them. I say worth a buy if it fits his criteria. PA is really easy to work with if he has any issues or wants to return for any reason

I will prob pick one up later this year

Bret
08-14-21, 11:12
Primary Arms has their Expo Arms parts on sale right now. The barrels are $40 to $50 off each. I bought an 11.5" for an upper build for my M16.

Leonidas24
08-14-21, 12:35
Primary Arms has their Expo Arms parts on sale right now. The barrels are $40 to $50 off each. I bought an 11.5" for an upper build for my M16.

Even if someone's not doing a complete build right now the prices are too good to pass up. I'm about to snag a 14.5 barrel and small parts just to have on hand.

sgtlmj
11-28-21, 08:59
I bought their 14.5 middy barrel a few months ago. Only had it out 2x since, but it was shooting sub MOA with IMI 77g OTM with little effort. Pretty impressed with it so far. The finish seems to be very consistent. Not a fan of the billboard laser etching on top, but for $100 it's solid. I read somewhere that the packaging was identical to Spikes, so these are probably OEM FN barrels.

AAMP84
11-28-21, 12:04
I bought their 14.5 middy barrel a few months ago. Only had it out 2x since, but it was shooting sub MOA with IMI 77g OTM with little effort. Pretty impressed with it so far. The finish seems to be very consistent. Not a fan of the billboard laser etching on top, but for $100 it's solid. I read somewhere that the packaging was identical to Spikes, so these are probably OEM FN barrels.

I’ve heard both DS Arms and Rosco Mfg as the source for their barrels, doubt we’ll know till they just come out and tell us.

Dutch110
11-29-21, 09:17
I’ve heard both DS Arms and Rosco Mfg as the source for their barrels, doubt we’ll know till they just come out and tell us.

This. When I saw the picture of the barrel back on page 2 I knew it was a Rosco. The markings on the barrel use the exact same font and color as Rosco does on their Bloodline line. And the two I have are fantastic shooters.

Stickman
11-29-21, 11:31
This. When I saw the picture of the barrel back on page 2 I knew it was a Rosco. The markings on the barrel use the exact same font and color as Rosco does on their Bloodline line. And the two I have are fantastic shooters.

Good info guys, its always nice to have a mental list of who is making a good barrel for a good price. I have and tend to use Centurion Arms barrels (the 16 and 18" SS) for when I want a super nice barrel, but there are plenty of times I'm doing builds and a just need a "good barrel at a good price".

Dutch110
11-29-21, 14:13
Good info guys, its always nice to have a mental list of who is making a good barrel for a good price. I have and tend to use Centurion Arms barrels (the 16 and 18" SS) for when I want a super nice barrel, but there are plenty of times I'm doing builds and a just need a "good barrel at a good price".

I got turned onto them when I picked up a BAD Workhorse a year or so ago to use as a truck gun. I did some research and found that they were using the Rosco barrels and BCGs. With the right ammo its an MOA gun and is gassed correctly. I recently put one of their 13.5 SS barrels (223 Wylde 1:8) into a build and as soon as it gets back from being pinned and welded I'll be able doing some accuracy testing. They don't do chrome lined barrels that I could see, only Nitride. I was concerned about longevity until I caught a SOTAR video where he did an autopsy on one of their barrels that was run at full auto for 27k rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqXMvZPAhw

11-30-21, 05:25
They don't do chrome lined barrels that I could see, only Nitride.]
Rosco’s OE page has chrome as an option, FWIW.

Dutch110
11-30-21, 06:44

Very cool. I must have missed that (obviously.)

Dutch110
11-30-21, 12:15

I see where you are looking at now. But I don't see where they sell chrome lined barrels to the public under their own brand. Kind of wish they did. I would definitely give one a try. But good to know that the Expo version is essentially the same thing.

AAMP84
11-30-21, 12:22
I see where you are looking at now. But I don't see where they sell chrome lined barrels to the public under their own brand. Kind of wish they did. I would definitely give one a try. But good to know that the Expo version is essentially the same thing.

Probably better that way, I’ve heard Rosco CS is pretty shite. Primary Arms’ CS has always been top notch in my experience.

Dutch110
12-01-21, 09:19
Probably better that way, I’ve heard Rosco CS is pretty shite. Primary Arms’ CS has always been top notch in my experience.

+1 on Primary CS. Never had to use Rosco's CS thankfully.

12-01-21, 10:16
Just looked at the 10.3, 11.5, and 14.5 on the PA website. Pretty cool that they list port size, and even cooler that they claim .070, .070, .077, respectively. Might be a good option if they shoot straight, are chambered right, have good threads, clean bores, etc.

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-01-21, 13:17
Just looked at the 10.3, 11.5, and 14.5 on the PA website. Pretty cool that they list port size, and even cooler that they claim .070, .070, .077, respectively. Might be a good option if they shoot straight, are chambered right, have good threads, clean bores, etc.

I need another 10.3 with a .070 gas port like I need a hole in the head but for $85 it's awful tempting.

Stickman
12-01-21, 16:37
I need another 10.3 with a .070 gas port like I need a hole in the head but for $85 it's awful tempting.

Where do you see that? Can you drop a link because I can't find it...

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-01-21, 16:57
Where do you see that? Can you drop a link because I can't find it...

Looks like the price went up to $130 since I looked at them. At that price, I would just buy the 10.3 with crane spec gas port from Andro Corp. They're made by Ballistic Advantage and the one I'm running in my MK18 upper is a real shooter so far.

Stickman
12-02-21, 09:53
Looks like the price went up to $130 since I looked at them. At that price, I would just buy the 10.3 with crane spec gas port from Andro Corp. They're made by Ballistic Advantage and the one I'm running in my MK18 upper is a real shooter so far.

Thanks for double checking, I kept trying to use different browsers to see if I was missing a super deal.

Dutch110
12-07-21, 10:09
Thanks for double checking, I kept trying to use different browsers to see if I was missing a super deal.

Stick

Check DVOR. They have a sale on Rosco barrels. 10.5 and 11.5 are going for $95 and $98 respectively

https://www.dvor.com/rosco-manufacturing-556nato-10-5-inch-nitride-finish-1-7-twist-1-2x28-4150-cmv-bloodline-barrel.html?promotion=rosco-manufacturing-firearm-barrels-96-2021-12-05&options[]=3224-8370-119538

titsonritz
03-14-22, 17:40

I can confirm an Expo Arms 10.3" SOCOM profile barrel gas port pin gages at .070". I just did measured a buddies this past weekend. He could potentially have the cheapest 10.3" upper ever using semi-decent parts...$85 on the barrel, $59 on the BCG (he scored 2 when righttobear.com had those AO Precision BCGs marked wrong) and a BCM Blem stripped upper for $79.

03-14-22, 18:13
I can confirm an Expo Arms 10.3" SOCOM profile barrel gas port pin gages at .070". I just did measured a buddies this past weekend. He could potentially have the cheapest 10.3" upper ever using semi-decent parts...$85 on the barrel, $59 on the BCG (he scored 2 when righttobear.com had those AO Precision BCGs marked wrong) and a BCM Blem stripped upper for $79.

Do you own one of Ned’s or PTG 5.56? gauges, or a silencer and an alignment rod? PM me if you don’t have a 556? gauge.

WornOutGrunt
03-15-22, 06:15
As this thread is primarily a Expo Barrel thread I will just throw in y $ .02 into it...
I am doing my first upper build ( I have bought all my others)
I purchased a Expo upper receiver and 13" Patrol handguard.... I must say I am VERY impressed with the fit and finish of both of these parts. They are very similar to a Zev/ Mega finish on the rail and the stripped upper.
I am very happy with them overall.... I was not a big fan of the aluminum barrel nut but as long as it holds up I will be happy.

I will be looking for one of their Combat handguards in 13" as they are rumored to be CMT.. but non the less these seem like quality components. If I end up with another 16" bbl ( like I really need that..) I wouldn't hesitate to get the 15" Combat rail they offer

If indeed they use Rosco re branded barrels.... is it just me or do Rosco seem a little heavy up front ( govt profile I know) but they just seem heavy to me ... which is ok, but it seems to swing differently, I tend to overswing my target...maybe I just need to change my Tampax and quit whining but... has anyone else noticed that about Rosco?
THey shoot very well and are gassed well..... just seem lil heavy

Dutch110
03-15-22, 10:26
As this thread is primarily a Expo Barrel thread I will just throw in y $ .02 into it...
I am doing my first upper build ( I have bought all my others)
I purchased a Expo upper receiver and 13" Patrol handguard.... I must say I am VERY impressed with the fit and finish of both of these parts. They are very similar to a Zev/ Mega finish on the rail and the stripped upper.
I am very happy with them overall.... I was not a big fan of the aluminum barrel nut but as long as it holds up I will be happy.

I will be looking for one of their Combat handguards in 13" as they are rumored to be CMT.. but non the less these seem like quality components. If I end up with another 16" bbl ( like I really need that..) I wouldn't hesitate to get the 15" Combat rail they offer

If indeed they use Rosco re branded barrels.... is it just me or do Rosco seem a little heavy up front ( govt profile I know) but they just seem heavy to me ... which is ok, but it seems to swing differently, I tend to overswing my target...maybe I just need to change my Tampax and quit whining but... has anyone else noticed that about Rosco?
THey shoot very well and are gassed well..... just seem lil heavy

Rosco offers a couple different barrel profiles. M4, Government and Heavy. My 10.5 and 16 inch inch M4 profiles are not front heavy that I notice. My 13.7 stainless is a heavy profile and, well, its a bit of a tank in comparison but not objectionable at all. I haven't tried their Gov profile.

markm
03-15-22, 10:44
None of these appear to have FSBs. Ergo... worthless. ZERO chance of me buying a non-FSB barrel. I don't wear a dress or use an electric lawn mower either. :laugh:

Dutch110
03-15-22, 10:55
None of these appear to have FSBs. Ergo... worthless. ZERO chance of me buying a non-FSB barrel. I don't wear a dress or use an electric lawn mower either. :laugh:

That last part was pretty specific. You sure about that? Something tells me you have some pictures in your past that would prove otherwise...... no judging.

markm
03-15-22, 11:18
That last part was pretty specific. You sure about that? Something tells me you have some pictures in your past that would prove otherwise...... no judging.

There's guys on this forum who run electric lawn mowers... and I assume they wear panties/dresses when mowing... I mean... you have to I assume.

Dutch110
03-15-22, 11:48
There's guys on this forum who run electric lawn mowers... and I assume they wear panties/dresses when mowing... I mean... you have to I assume.

I am sure there is a sub reddit on this someplace.......

03-15-22, 11:51

I do wear Ranger Panties while I mow, nothing else, and do it at 0200 while drinking and listening to EmCrit or Flightbridge Ed.

markm
03-15-22, 11:57
Seriously though. It makes me nervous that the FSB will fade away and then cost a fortune to get (poorly done) later down the road.

Dutch110
03-15-22, 12:46
I do wear Ranger Panties while I mow, nothing else, and do it at 0200 while drinking and listening to EmCrit or Flightbridge Ed.

You, Sir, are a man among sheep.

Dutch110
03-15-22, 12:48
Seriously though. It makes me nervous that the FSB will fade away and then cost a fortune to get (poorly done) later down the road.

I think it already has begun to fade away. TBH I have only built one FSB rifle over the years. Didn't hate it but do not like the added "noise" in the sight picture when using an RDS. Which is all the time. If I was building an irons only rifle I would do either FSB or use the Scalarworks Leap fixed sites.

Bret
03-15-22, 12:56
I have no idea why the Colt folding FSB or ARMS FSB isn't already standard for rifles that come with flat top uppers. I hate seeing a front sight post in my optics's view.

Hank6046
03-15-22, 13:49

Man usually I have to pay $8 a minute to hear this kinda stuff...

WornOutGrunt
03-15-22, 15:26
Rosco offers a couple different barrel profiles. M4, Government and Heavy. My 10.5 and 16 inch inch M4 profiles are not front heavy that I notice. My 13.7 stainless is a heavy profile and, well, its a bit of a tank in comparison but not objectionable at all. I haven't tried their Gov profile.

I had a 13.7 S/S Rosco which was/ seemed pretty heavy up front.. it tended to overswing... and I bought a 16" for a buddy who was building an upper and I thought that was really heavy... both were Gvt profile..... maybe I'm just old...
I'm still trying to chase down a reasonably priced... ( yes go ahead LOL) 14.5 DD L/W bbl... it may be a pipe dream but thats what I want... seem to be unobtainable out in the wild unless you want to pay $ 300 +..... and I cant afford that...so my search goes on..

joedirt199
03-16-22, 20:27
Trying to find a weight on the 11.5" heavy profile for a supressor build. They don't have it listed anywhere I have seen. Trying for an hrt style pistol build and don't need a front sight post. Brownells has the colt barrels for $375 so this would be a half price option. Currently have a BCM 11.5 lightweight barrel.