PDA

View Full Version : RMR Dual Illuminated

MrHandsome
03-16-20, 05:24
Anyone have experience with the rmr dual illuminated optics? Deciding if the 9moa dot or 12moa triangle for a shotgun is best. In theory the triangle would be good for up close do to its size and the tip could be used for longer distance with slugs.

MountainRaven
03-16-20, 21:02
Is this going to be a serious use gun or something you're planning to use for strictly recreational purposes?

ExplorinInTheWoods
03-16-20, 23:07
Triangle, go with green but people complained about problems shooting from dark into light.

MrHandsome
03-17-20, 05:23
With all my setups I always make sure I can co witness with irons so if it does wash out I have that. My astigmatism makes low light with red dots very difficult as they spiderweb out pretty bad. With the dual green optics it doesn’t mess with my eyes for some reason.

ggammell
03-17-20, 07:58
With all my setups I always make sure I can co witness with irons so if it does wash out I have that. My astigmatism makes low light with red dots very difficult as they spiderweb out pretty bad. With the dual green optics it doesn’t mess with my eyes for some reason.

Irons and optics are two different systems. Don’t co witness them.

MrHandsome
03-17-20, 08:20
I respectfully disagree with that. “If it can go wrong it will”. Even if batteries die or tritium is washed out, which they will then you’d need a secondary sighting system. Same on rifles with BUIS. Back up sites are standard on all types of weapons, not having them is nothing short of foolish.

ggammell
03-17-20, 08:30
I respectfully disagree with that. “If it can go wrong it will”. Even if batteries die or tritium is washed out, which they will then you’d need a secondary sighting system. Same on rifles with BUIS. Back up sites are standard on all types of weapons, not having them is nothing short of foolish.

I didn’t say don’t have them. I said don’t co witness them.

03-17-20, 08:47
I have a RM04, 7 moa amber dot. I like it, but it has a couple things you must consider.

1) the tritium is useless. When I bought it, it had none. Zero. A trip to Triji, and it came back so dim that it is only visible inside a dark closet.

2) washout. Walking into progressively dimmer rooms, the dot remains more than useable, to the point that I can no longer see the slide or the outline of the optic, or identify targets properly. But the dot is still there. Until I activate the pistol’s white light, then, POOF; its gone. If you work in a team environment, this will have no effect unless you’re the only one in a short room, because teammates weaponlights are enough to make the dot very bright. Or a handheld light vs weapon mounted will have the same effect. Not sure on a long gun; I suspect a very bright light will work.

3) Aiming from a dim area into a brighter area gets you a dim dot, or no dot at all.

But, it has upsides, such as no battery, no flickering, and its still surprisingly useable in dim light.

After reading Taliv’s post on the next page, I need to point out that I’ve never tried mine with NODs, and I have not yet purchased the proper height irons to back it up.

Don Robison
03-17-20, 15:19
My experience with them is they are utterly useless garbage for anything other than a flat range during the day. You couldn't give me one.

03-17-20, 15:26
My experience with them is they are utterly useless garbage for anything other than a flat range during the day. You couldn't give me one.
Very detailed. Thanks.

MrHandsome
03-17-20, 17:15
ACOGs use the same tech, fiber optic and tritium. When an acog washes out you have the etched reticle, when the rmr washes out you have the irons. Same

03-17-20, 17:30
ACOGs use the same tech, fiber optic and tritium. When an acog washes out you have the etched reticle, when the rmr washes out you have the irons. Same

Tritium is much brighter in the ACOG, just so you know.

Don Robison
03-17-20, 17:48
Very detailed. Thanks.What would you like to know that you haven't already said? They are junk for anything other than a range toy is the bottom line.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

MrHandsome
03-17-20, 18:16
Well Don, my original question was circle vs triangle for shotgun so.....

Don Robison
03-17-20, 21:00
Well Don, my original question was circle vs triangle for shotgun so.....

Mine summed it up that they are both garbage so it doesn't matter.
If they made those reticles in a battery powered I would say triangle particularly if you're planning on shooting slugs.

taliv
03-19-20, 13:32
i have to disagree with most of the comments in this thread. since 2014, I have owned 4 of the dual illuminated green dot RMRs. 3 of them are on S&W M&P core pistols, one of which has been my daily carry IWB since 2014. I don't shoot as much as some here, but I have put more than 40k rounds through my daily carry using this optic.

my experience has been overwhelmingly positive and i greatly prefer the no-battery option. the dual illum dot is nowhere close to the brightness of an aimpoint or battery powered RMR, but the optic, just like an acog, does an excellent job of varying the intensity to the ambient light from dark to bright sun.

some key points:
1. it is outstanding with NV, and run n gun on steel at night with this optic is one of my fav activities. moving from a lit environment to dark and back only requires flipping my nods. i don't have to futz with brightness settings because they automatically adjust. and having a dot too bright washes everything out in dark without nods, and seriously screws up nods. if you are active at night, seriously consider this optic.
2. it does take a while to get used to. it was several hundred rounds before i was seeing the dot before i saw the irons.
3. yes, standing in the dark and looking into the light is a problem. but if I can't see the dot, I can still see my irons
4. I've never had to replace a battery
5. of the 4, i have returned one to trijicon for service because the dot got really dim.