PDA

View Full Version : Orange pmags not dropping free

7.62NATO
11-21-08, 20:44
I've got a few orange pmags (production 08/08) that will not drop free from several magazine wells. I have other pmags (non-orange, 2008 dated) that WILL drop-free from these very same wells. Are the orange pmags not supposed to drop free? Please let me know what is going on.

7.62NATO
11-21-08, 20:52
FYI - The mags are the normal 30 rounders with and without maglevel. Has anyone experienced this w/ the orange colored pmags before? Has Magpul recalled these?

DrDrake
11-21-08, 21:45
FYI - The mags are the normal 30 rounders with and without maglevel. Has anyone experienced this w/ the orange colored pmags before? Has Magpul recalled these?

There are two pads on the back side of the magazine that can be filed down slightly to improve this issue.

7.62NATO
11-22-08, 07:45
There are two pads on the back side of the magazine that can be filed down slightly to improve this issue.

Will Magpul replace these with mags that won't require DIY work to function? Thanks.

DrDrake
11-22-08, 09:02
I'm not sure how many mags you have but the "DIY" time required per mag is usually less than one minute. Sure we can replace them for you but they will be black non windowed PMAG's. Orange was a custom run for DSG and have not made them since. If you'd like to, you could send them direct to me and I can make the mods myself.

Drop free issues are common and an easy fix. The "DIY" work needed is most likely minimal. Your call.

By the way, just to clarify. What lower and are there any other issues besides the drop free problem.

7.62NATO
11-22-08, 09:25
By the way, just to clarify. What lower and are there any other issues besides the drop free problem.

-Colt/LMT.

-The orange mags need a good push to seat correctly in the well as they otherwise stick. Additionally, they don't drop free and need a substantial amount of force to extract from the mag well. Is this typical?

As for replacements; black pmags would be fine. However, I would expect pmags with a maglevel to be replaced with a maglevel pmag. Apples for apples...

Got any good pics on where exactly I need to file the mag down? Thanks.

rob_s
11-22-08, 10:58
FWIW, I have 11 orange Pmags with drop-free issues in 4 Colts and a KAC as well, no insertion issues.

I'm going DIY. Haven't done it yet simply because I haven't significantly fired an AR since December '07. The one time I did, I ran the orange mags in a Colt 6933 and encountered the same issue.

mmike87
11-22-08, 11:06
I had this issue with 12 early Pmags in two of my lowers. It really only took about 30 minutes or so to fix and test all 12 - IMO far less trouble than shipping anything back. But that's just me. But if you're having issues inserting them too ...

I used a heavy grit sandpaper.

7.62NATO
11-22-08, 13:05
I had this issue with 12 early Pmags in two of my lowers. It really only took about 30 minutes or so to fix and test all 12 - IMO far less trouble than shipping anything back. But that's just me. But if you're having issues inserting them too ...

I used a heavy grit sandpaper.

Like the above poster mentioned, the issue is on insertion and extraction. I might ship them back to magpul. Who should I contact at Magpul about this issue?

mmike87
11-22-08, 13:58
Like the above poster mentioned, the issue is on insertion and extraction. I might ship them back to magpul. Who should I contact at Magpul about this issue?

Not sure - I'd just give their main number a call Monday.

7.62NATO
11-22-08, 14:10
I might just sell them. If anyone on M4C is interested PM me with an offer. It is 7 orange pmags total - 2 maglevel & 5 regular. All 30 rounders. Otherwise I'll give magpul a call next week. I thought magpul had already fixed this issue, I guess not.

M1A2_Tanker
11-22-08, 15:22
PM sent.

.357sigger
11-22-08, 15:25
4 of the mags that I have with the window would not drop free...this was true for all 3 guns I have. The regular ones without the windows all dropped free. I used a dremmel and filed off the little tabs on the back to make them like my reg mags and they all drop now. It took less than a minute to do FWIW...

YVK
11-22-08, 15:30
Magpul mags have some variability between the batches. I have some black ones that drop free and some that don't. The moral is that, even if you exchanged them, you might not get free-dropping ones, regardless of color.

It took me about 9 minutes yesterday the work over 4 magazines with sanding drum, taking them from "tight to insert" to " drop free" condition.

DrDrake
11-22-08, 18:10
You can send them back to us. Contact jbeard@magpul.com. I'll be grabbing those from him as orange is not a prevelent color and I'd like to get some orange PMAG's as I missed out on the batch we did.

Seriously, I'd bet a pay check it will take me less that two minutes per mag to solve.

If you don't want to send them to us you could offer them up for sale here. They wouldn't last a day if priced fair.

DrDrake
11-22-08, 19:01
http://www.holstenrealestate.com/webpics/pmag2.jpg

These are the pads I mentioned.

If taking these down a bit does not solve it look for rub spots and sand lightly. Easy day.

Ed L.
11-22-08, 20:56
I was with a friend when we tried various PMAGs in his AR wich features an LMT lower. The Black ones seemed to always drop free, while the most of the black ones with windows and some other colors had problems. Because of the location of the area that needs to be relieved, it is hard to reach with hand tools like a file. However about 3 seconds with a dremel on each area indicated above took care of the problem.

DrDrake
11-22-08, 21:06
Well there you go.

Heavy Metal
11-22-08, 21:12
Hey Drake. Are there any plans to make another batch of the Orange PMAGS?

DrDrake
11-22-08, 21:19
No plans right now.

John123
11-22-08, 21:44
FWIW, Ive had no issues with the orange PMAGS dropping free. I've run them on the 2 LMT, 1 PWA, 2 Noveske and 1 DPMS lowers that I own.

John

.357sigger
11-22-08, 22:50
If we could muster some type of group buy through a vendor on this site I wonder what the minimum would have to be? I am sure that all the guys on M4C would be willing to buy enough of them to do it and maybe we could get a custom color done that only the M4C guys would have...just a thought :cool:

DrDrake
11-22-08, 22:53
As for now we do not have any room in our production schedule for custom colors. Our efforts are being concentrated on standard PMAG's.

SIGfest
11-22-08, 22:56
I wouldn't mind a couple Orange ones if you decide to dump a few. I'll operate on them. LMK Thanks

.357sigger
11-22-08, 23:20
As for now we do not have any room in our production schedule for custom colors. Our efforts are being concentrated on standard PMAG's.

The color thing was just an idea but what would the minimum have to be to get a group buy going? We could make it easy and just say it could be for no windowed black mags to keep it simple...

DrDrake
11-23-08, 00:51
The color thing was just an idea but what would the minimum have to be to get a group buy going? We could make it easy and just say it could be for no windowed black mags to keep it simple...

We don't do group buys direct from Magpul. They never seem to run smooth plus, we are selling every mag we make and improving our production capabilities every day. There are so many orders flooding in from everywhere that a large group buy would be back burnered until our dealers and distributors were taken care of.

The reasons for avoiding a group buy right now are more ethical than anything. There are a lot of guys out there that we need to deliver product to. We're making it happen asap.

Hang in there Fellas.

DWood
11-23-08, 11:24
I've got a few orange pmags (production 08/08) that will not drop free from several magazine wells. I have other pmags (non-orange, 2008 dated) that WILL drop-free from these very same wells. Are the orange pmags not supposed to drop free? Please let me know what is going on.

Magpul offered to replace mine, but it wasn't necessary. Sand the two tabs down as described and they will work.

See this thread [http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=20999/]

C4IGrant
11-23-08, 13:51
Some folks need to realize that there are ALLOWABLE (per the TDP) sizes for both the magwell and mag body.

It is VERY common to have one at the top of the spec and one at the minimum of the spec.

So who is at fault when your mags will not drop free from your lower? Most likely no one.

C4

andre3k
11-23-08, 15:41
Do aluminum mags have this issue?

C4IGrant
11-23-08, 15:43
Do aluminum mags have this issue?

Yes they can.

C4

bkb0000
11-23-08, 19:42
I think the idea of returning your pmags because they don't drop free, rather than simply sanding the pads on the back, is so incredibly retarded that i would instantly lose a substantial degree of respect for the man, whoever he be. that says too much about character to ignore.

when i first noticed they didn't drop from one of my lowers, it didn't even occure to me to call magpul, or anyone else- i got out some 120 grit and made 'em drop.

theblackknight
11-23-08, 22:14
Ill take em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! want my location?:D