PDA

View Full Version : Finally Earned My Shirt @ The Tactical Games

Leaveammoforme
03-17-20, 13:55
2021 update below original post.

Been debating as to post this or not. I figured someone may find it helpful to prepare if they are interested.

Pride took a hit but I'll learn from it. I actually teared up as we drove off. I said "I can't quit" and went to turn around. My wife was a voice of reason and I will be better prepared for next year.

To say I underestimated this match would be fair. I had been jogging with 25 lbs for 4 months. I added reps to all my normal jazz. Not near enough. I should have been jogging at 100 lbs over to feel lighter at the match.

I survived stage one but timed out. I couldn't get my feet to cooperate on a rope climb about a third of the way through Stage 2. Decided to muscle my way up and stalled out about 6 inches from the top.

The staff and RO's were awesome. They offered me a move from "Elite" to an "Intermediate" slot but I was done.

50% overweight cardio would be a good place to train for this monster. Much respect for the guys who finished. I'll come back better prepared.

Well, ask away or offer advice.

Update, March 2021

Got that shirt.

We had 7 stages spread over two days. The "Masters" division was changed from 45+ years old to a 40-49 group and a 50+ group. I was in the 40-49 group. We had the same COF and work load as the "Intermediate" division. There were some instances where Intermediate was allowed to use props as firing support but Masters had to fire offhand.

My ultimate goal for this match was to get a finish. My year worth of work was quickly evident to myself as we got going. I admittedly sand bagged all stages except the very last to try and avoid injury. The last stage was brutal. It was the only stage that had something like a 80% timeout (myself included and my only timeout). I completed about 75% of the stage before running out of time which seemed to be where most people ended.

My mental attitude was solid (since last year bitch-slapped some humbleness into me) with me only screwing up one firing sequence.

I was again inspired by other competitors. I watched a 17 year old kid (who was at most 120 pounds) farmer carry 105 pounds in each hand and throw a 80 pound sandbag over a 6 foot bar multiple times while carrying a rifle, a handgun, ammo and wearing armor. Also, seeing injured individuals still pushing at 100% was extremely respectable. Awesome stuff.

The energy invested got me a "middle of the pack" overall finish with around 120 total shooters. I'll be attacking every stage next year at 100% effort. I learned what areas still need work. While there are resources with known variables, Tactical Games is hard to train for. An individual needs to be ready for anything and would be far better off with a 60% mastery over everything rather than 100% mastery of a few exercises.

Well, it's now time to put the heavy plates back in the carrier and bust ass for a year. Thank you to everyone who posted up and I challenge you to hit up The Games.

2hkusp
03-17-20, 17:31
Looks pretty cool, can you post your training regimen and more details on obstacles/evolutions? I might sign up for intermediate when it comes to CA. Good for you finding your failure point and wanting to improve.

Leaveammoforme
03-18-20, 03:26
A good way to prep would be to run with fairly heavy weight. Not hike or walk fast. Run with heavy weight. Uphill, downhill, off balance, etc.

A person can survive if they have the cardio. TG has penalties on standby if a person can't do a particular portion of a stage. For example; Portions of stage 2 included tossing a 50 pound sand bag 10 times over an eight foot bar. This had to be done twice at different points for a total of 20 times over. Failure to get over resulted in burpees. Can't do it? Bang out some burpees in armor.

The two guys ahead of me at check in didn't make weight on their carriers (15 lbs minimum). I thought it odd at the time but then realized they were adding additional weight as necessary to hit 15 pounds on the "official" scale. I brought a 19 pound rig wanting to make sure and not have any weigh in issues. I would have benefited from being 4 pounds lighter instead of overshooting the weight to play it safe.

TG also allows spectators not associated with a competitor. If a person is unsure, they could go to one and observe.

Look up pictures/videos of previous matches. Most will show off balance weight of some sort being moved to another location.

chef8489
03-18-20, 04:17
I have known Tim Burke since i was a teen before I joined the army. He was one of my inspirations to go LRSD then to selection and sf. He is a great guy. Hope you do well next time you go.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-22-20, 13:51
Failing at something you worked really hard for is humbling in a way that can't be adequately described. Whether it's a business/professional venture or something like Tactical Games or marathon. I've failed at both. Those failures helped me be more successful the next go round. Keep your chin up and thanks for sharing.

TheTick
03-24-20, 14:05
Whelp... I'm glad I signed up for Intermediate then...

Leaveammoforme
04-10-20, 13:14
I have known Tim Burke since i was a teen before I joined the army. He was one of my inspirations to go LRSD then to selection and sf. He is a great guy. Hope you do well next time you go.

Awesome group of people. They had a child rescue group representative there that gave a quick run down on some stuff. These are the people one should want to associate with or idolize.

Failing at something you worked really hard for is humbling in a way that can't be adequately described. Whether it's a business/professional venture or something like Tactical Games or marathon. I've failed at both. Those failures helped me be more successful the next go round. Keep your chin up and thanks for sharing.

I've already made some progress. I'm going to go back and He-Man that shit.

Whelp... I'm glad I signed up for Intermediate then...

Good call. I'll be there with you!

dpb1776
09-07-20, 21:38
Debating on trying this in the Masters division It looks like a serious challenge and a good reason to push my workouts harder

monkeywrench
09-13-20, 11:57
I actually signed up for the masters division. Won’t compete unless October of next year.

Leaveammoforme
09-14-20, 14:17
Debating on trying this in the Masters division It looks like a serious challenge and a good reason to push my workouts harder

I actually signed up for the masters division. Won’t compete unless October of next year.

Good on y'all. I'm still a few years out from being able to run in Masters. I believe Masters uses the same COF as Intermediate. But the Masters division does get you away from the 24 year old, active SF, stud muffins.

I'm due again in March. Cardio has improved but I have lost some upper body bulk/strength since I've been running so damn much (for me).

dpb1776
09-14-20, 20:37
Yeah not interested in competing against under 30 year olds lol. Infantry and motocross has hammered my knees. But have been rehabbing them so there getting much better mobility wise. I seriously have to work on pull ups though and rope climbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

opngrnd
09-14-20, 22:26
OP-I appreciate you posting this. I hope you make it through next time.

monkeywrench
09-15-20, 06:30
I have the same train of thought. Don’t want to compete again people under thirty. I know that there is a training app that is endorsed by the tactical games and put together by a ex navy seal.

monkeywrench
09-16-20, 07:51
For those that have competed what has your zero been on your rifles? 50/200?

Leaveammoforme
09-16-20, 20:45
For those that have competed what has your zero been on your rifles? 50/200?

Use whatever zero you are accustomed to. I personally prefer 50'ish/200 with priority on the 200. The less 'thinking' a person has to do on a stage the better.

I used a sharpie to write vtac port numbers on my arm. Those numbers made zero sense to me when I returned to the barricade on the third trip.

A person would think "3rd trip = 3rd set of port numbers" would be pretty simple. However, I just stared at my arm perplexed as to what my past self was trying to tell my current self. Minimize the required brain computations as possible.

BUIS are required. Verify they are zero'd, don't just match your irons to your dot. Turn your dot off and verify them. They now allow LPV optics but the kicker is that anyone using one is required to have offset irons. Not allowed to remove optic to use irons.

Leaveammoforme
01-02-21, 00:48
Welp, 2 months out.

Been hitting it hard with setbacks here and there. Doesn't look like I'll be hitting my 100 pound jog goal. Been stuck on 70 pounds. I haven't been adding weight until I can non-stop jog 2 miles under 24 minutes at a current weight. I'll push the next 30 days but will go into a holding pattern for the final 30 to try and avoid injury. Last week of this 30 days I will load up 100 pounds and jog at least 1 mile not worrying about the time.

I rolled my ankle on the world's smallest rock about a month back and it fixed up fast thankfully. Been milking a tendon in my right elbow that has put pull-up motion stuff on hold for 2 weeks. Hopefully it corrects here pretty quick.

I've been shooting at about 50% of my normal. It dawned on me tonight to do an ammo inventory. I was shocked to see that I'm down to 450 rounds of 9mm and 2k of 5.56 in the range blasting variety. I haven't seen ammo locally since March so I'll switch my pistol work to a .45 and try to do worthwhile stuff with the 5.56. Nobody want's to be the dork shooting 5 different kinds of ammo at a match.

Anyways, this is more of a self assessment than anything else and I look forward to earning the right to wear the T-shirt that has been hanging in my closet the last 10 months. I applaud the current Action-Figures and will join your guild shortly.

Jsp10477
01-11-21, 11:41
Good work and good luck.

okie
01-12-21, 00:54
I too train with 25 lbs of extra weight. Unfortunately it's not the kind of weight that I can take off after I'm done.

tanksoldier
02-25-21, 12:09
Welp, 2 months out.

Any update? How is your training going?

I've been wanting to compete in the "light" division to get a taste... I qualify for the "over 50 masters" but the guy who won that also won the Elite division a few Games back.

...I'm rehabbing an elbow, but if it gets to where it needs to be I'll be there.

Leaveammoforme
02-25-21, 13:24
I too train with 25 lbs of extra weight. Unfortunately it's not the kind of weight that I can take off after I'm done.

Well, I'm pretty sure that's basically cheating with gear that is anatomically & perfectly fitted. :)

You can take it off a pound at a time! Then add back the lost pound to your gear since your core is already adapted to the weight.

The biggest thing I have noticed about jogging at high weight is learning how to balance it. The balance will come naturally eventually as long as a person doesn't start at too high of weight.

I've rolled an ankle twice in the last year. Once at +50 and once at +70. I was surprised that I was able to not crash both times. I walked a few steps after the +50 roll to make sure I wasn't hurt bad and thin finished my jog. The roll at +70 just pissed me off. I broke stride for a few steps but kept jogging. The balance I had learned on a subconscious/automatic response saved me both times.

Any update? How is your training going?

I've been wanting to compete in the "light" division to get a taste... I qualify for the "over 50 masters" but the guy who won that also won the Elite division a few Games back.

...I'm rehabbing an elbow, but if it gets to where it needs to be I'll be there.

Lost about a week with the crazy weather we had. Didn't want to risk a fall on the ice. First jog after was pretty brutal. Funny how progress can roll back so quickly.

Elbow is better but still sore. I feel it most now during something using grip strength. Got a compression sleeve to wear if need be.

Scored some 9mm so shooting has moved back to the pistol I'll run in the games. Got a new pair of shoes 85% broken in. My previous pair are low on tread in the ball area but I'll take them anyways incase of a road run.

Thought about putting my rifle on a diet by not running a can, going to a micro red dot, swapping my H2 buffer to a H :) and even switch to GI mags. But it's kind of late to "learn" a lighter rifle at this point.

Put in a lighter front plate to hit 15 pounds on my carrier for a practice match at a buddies place. It was magical. You know that scene when young Forrest Gump is running from the bullies and his leg braces fall apart? Well, I totally made that face. I was sad when it came time to put the heavy plate back in. The lighter one goes back in in a week though!

chuckman
02-25-21, 14:06
I just saw a post about this in a local firearms forum. Looks fun. I might give it a go.

Edited to add, if'n I do, it'll be the 50+ class. I ain't TMac, and I ain't showing out to compete against people half my age or younger lol.

Leaveammoforme
02-25-21, 16:45
I just saw a post about this in a local firearms forum. Looks fun. I might give it a go.

Edited to add, if'n I do, it'll be the 50+ class. I ain't TMac, and I ain't showing out to compete against people half my age or younger lol.

This is another aspect that makes TG so awesome. There are more than enough maniacs out there who are willing to invest the time and money to attend. I think last March was 125 competitors.

chuckman
02-26-21, 08:40
This is another aspect that makes TG so awesome. There are more than enough maniacs out there who are willing to invest the time and money to attend. I think last March was 125 competitors.

It looks similar to a mash-up of Goruck-Crossfit-Spartan-A&S, and reminds me of the workouts we did in the service. I think it would be a lot more fun when my job does not depend on my performance lol.

TheTick
03-03-21, 05:51
I think it's worth pointing out to some people who are saying they don't want to compete against 30-year-old pipe-hitters: It's not about that... at all. You're only competing against yourself. If you give a flying French eff whether or not you get a plaque out of it, then you missed the point. If you think anyone cares, notices, or breaks your balls if you finish dead last, know that they don't.

It's all about camaraderie and pushing yourself to see where you are at in your own life. Nothing else.

tanksoldier
03-03-21, 23:08
If you give a flying French eff whether or not you get a plaque out of it, then you missed the point.

While I agree that for most of us it should be an opportunity to challenge and improve ourselves, if your statement was completely true they wouldn't give out plaques in the first place... but they do.

chuckman
03-04-21, 07:26
Tough Mudders are about as helpful, non-competitive an environment you can get, and people are still competing against each other, even if non-officially ("I'm gonna beat this guy beside me over this next obstacle"). Not sure I'd confer pipe-hitter status to people who do these events, either.

Once upon a time I was in units and jobs where there's winners and losers, no points for second, and everything is a competition. These days I am all about doing events like this just for fun, but I'll still pick a few people out to compete against.

Leaveammoforme
03-08-21, 11:57
Update with what a years worth of work got me in OP.

CRAMBONE
03-08-21, 13:58

How’d you get your head right after the failures? I’m struggling to do that right now. I failed an academy for the second time in January. I busted my ass during the recycle phase and thought I was ready to return and pass. Got there in January and failed again. I’m struggling to get motivation to restart pt and struggling to get my mind right to reapply. What did you do?

chuckman
03-09-21, 08:03
How’d you get your head right after the failures? I’m struggling to do that right now. I failed an academy for the second time in January. I busted my ass during the recycle phase and thought I was ready to return and pass. Got there in January and failed again. I’m struggling to get motivation to restart pt and struggling to get my mind right to reapply. What did you do?

I have failed far more than I have been successful. Me, I am too stupid to give up.

I have a good friend, a senior NCO in AF pararescue, he and a couple other dudes run a website and YT channel geared for aspiring AFSOC candidates. One of the YT vids is on failure, mindset, etc. It's generic enough that everyone can learn from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Dwy-1USkI&t=3727s

May I ask, what's keeping you from being successful (i.e., what are you failing?)? I am no zen master, nor do I have a magic bullet. For me, I find those things at which I am failing, or making me fail. I don't overthink it: is it a physical thing or a mental thing (academic, emotional, etc.)? I isolate that 'thing.' What needs to happen to be successful? Do I need to call in someone who can help, or can I do it alone or with resources I have or can get? For me the key is, be analytical, but don't overthink it. Overthinking leads to dwelling, and dwelling leads to a recurring cycle of negative self-talk.

tanksoldier
03-09-21, 10:46

Chuckman is right. If you’re pushing yourself you should be failing more than you’re succeeding.

The important thing is to learn from your failure, and then adapt and overcome... thus, you never truly fail: you win, or you learn.

WHY did you fail the academy the first time? HOW did you adapt? WHY did you fail again? HOW will you adapt this time?

Trying the same thing under the same conditions but expecting a different result is one definition of insanity.

CRAMBONE
03-09-21, 21:36
Freaking pushups and old age with and tear to an extent but mainly pushups. Came back in Sept and hit it hard but wasn’t enough or maybe it was too much. I’m going to get a legit strength coach and dietitian (I think I was overdoing cardio and not taking in enough calories). So it was a physical issue that has morphed into a mental issue. I’ve had to fight back a lot of self negativity and depression. I think I’m finally starting to pull myself up. And I also gave up booze for Lent which took away my self medication.

Thanks for the talk guys. Chuck thanks for the link. I’ll give it a listen.

tanksoldier
03-09-21, 22:31
Freaking pushups and old age with and tear to an extent but mainly pushups. Came back in Sept and hit it hard but wasn’t enough or maybe it was too much. I’m going to get a legit strength coach and dietitian (I think I was overdoing cardio and not taking in enough calories). So it was a physical issue that has morphed into a mental issue. I’ve had to fight back a lot of self negativity and depression. I think I’m finally starting to pull myself up. And I also gave up booze for Lent which took away my self medication.

First, if you meant to type "tear" as in you have an injury, get that fixed or find a work around.

I know what you mean by old age... I attended the police academy at 43, and I'm now 50. I can't do things the same way I used to, and some I can do but have to take the next day off.

I have an elbow injury right now. I want to go play at the Tactical Games, but it's pointless to train hard right now... I'll just make things worse. I have to get it fixed, if it can be, and then drive on from there.

If you're talking about a police academy, remember what they call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school: Doctor. Once you graduate nobody will care whether you have the record for PT or barely passed... or the highest academic score or whatever. All anyone cares about is the diploma. You need to be fit to do the job, but there's no point in overdoing it. Do what you can, see the doc for any lingering issues, see the coach for ways to work around long term problems you may have.

For example, I know a guy who has shoulder problems. He can't do normal pushups very often, his shoulder can't take the full body weight routinely, without causing problems.

He does knee pushups and some other stuff and only does strict pushups when he has to... in his case every six months or so for his military PT test.

Solve the problems that can be solved, work around the ones that can't, don't give up. If you have to, find a different academy that does things differently... some are less paramilitary, others use drill instructors trained by a travelling USMC team. My academy was college-like: khakis and polo shirts more of the time.

chuckman
03-10-21, 07:31

Mindset is everything. Think 'failing forward'. If you learn something, you are not failing. A coach/dietitian are great resources. So is physical therapy/sports medicine. In any case, you need a plan. Getting better at pushups is pretty easy, but definitely harder if you have a tear or are injured. Stop the negative self-talk. Every time it creeps in, do 10 squats or 10 pushups or something.

First, if you meant to type "tear" as in you have an injury, get that fixed or find a work around.

I know what you mean by old age... I attended the police academy at 43, and I'm now 50. I can't do things the same way I used to, and some I can do but have to take the next day off.

I have an elbow injury right now. I want to go play at the Tactical Games, but it's pointless to train hard right now... I'll just make things worse. I have to get it fixed, if it can be, and then drive on from there.

If you're talking about a police academy, remember what they call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school: Doctor. Once you graduate nobody will care whether you have the record for PT or barely passed... or the highest academic score or whatever. All anyone cares about is the diploma. You need to be fit to do the job, but there's no point in overdoing it. Do what you can, see the doc for any lingering issues, see the coach for ways to work around long term problems you may have.

For example, I know a guy who has shoulder problems. He can't do normal pushups very often, his shoulder can't take the full body weight routinely, without causing problems.

He does knee pushups and some other stuff and only does strict pushups when he has to... in his case every six months or so for his military PT test.

Solve the problems that can be solved, work around the ones that can't, don't give up. If you have to, find a different academy that does things differently... some are less paramilitary, others use drill instructors trained by a travelling USMC team. My academy was college-like: khakis and polo shirts more of the time.

Yup, this. Make sure your body is right.

To this end, I am staring down the barrel of a significant back surgery. I am kicking the can as far and as hard as I can. Yesterday was my second physical therapy appointment with a sports med PT. He's working wonders. I had to totally stop running because of my injuries, which bummed me out (not because I like running or am good at it; quite the opposite, I loathe it, but it helps me keep my weight in check). When I stopped I focused on HIIT to compensate. Shifted my mindset. This dude said he can get me back to running. Now I see it as a side dish and not the main meal, whereas before, it was the main meal supplemented by everything else. In my head it's a win.

chuckman
03-10-21, 12:56
2021 update below original post.

Been debating as to post this or not. I figured someone may find it helpful to prepare if they are interested.

Pride took a hit but I'll learn from it. I actually teared up as we drove off. I said "I can't quit" and went to turn around. My wife was a voice of reason and I will be better prepared for next year.

To say I underestimated this match would be fair. I had been jogging with 25 lbs for 4 months. I added reps to all my normal jazz. Not near enough. I should have been jogging at 100 lbs over to feel lighter at the match.

I survived stage one but timed out. I couldn't get my feet to cooperate on a rope climb about a third of the way through Stage 2. Decided to muscle my way up and stalled out about 6 inches from the top.

The staff and RO's were awesome. They offered me a move from "Elite" to an "Intermediate" slot but I was done.

50% overweight cardio would be a good place to train for this monster. Much respect for the guys who finished. I'll come back better prepared.

Well, ask away or offer advice.

Update, March 2021

Got that shirt.

We had 7 stages spread over two days. The "Masters" division was changed from 45+ years old to a 40-49 group and a 50+ group. I was in the 40-49 group. We had the same COF and work load as the "Intermediate" division. There were some instances where Intermediate was allowed to use props as firing support but Masters had to fire offhand.

My ultimate goal for this match was to get a finish. My year worth of work was quickly evident to myself as we got going. I admittedly sand bagged all stages except the very last to try and avoid injury. The last stage was brutal. It was the only stage that had something like a 80% timeout (myself included and my only timeout). I completed about 75% of the stage before running out of time which seemed to be where most people ended.

My mental attitude was solid (since last year bitch-slapped some humbleness into me) with me only screwing up one firing sequence.

I was again inspired by other competitors. I watched a 17 year old kid (who was at most 120 pounds) farmer carry 105 pounds in each hand and throw a 80 pound sandbag over a 6 foot bar multiple times while carrying a rifle, a handgun, ammo and wearing armor. Also, seeing injured individuals still pushing at 100% was extremely respectable. Awesome stuff.

The energy invested got me a "middle of the pack" overall finish with around 120 total shooters. I'll be attacking every stage next year at 100% effort. I learned what areas still need work. While there are resources with known variables, Tactical Games is hard to train for. An individual needs to be ready for anything and would be far better off with a 60% mastery over everything rather than 100% mastery of a few exercises.

Well, it's now time to put the heavy plates back in the carrier and bust ass for a year. Thank you to everyone who posted up and I challenge you to hit up The Games.

Congratulations on your outcome! I know you worked hard to get there! Thank you for your AAR and 'lessons learned.' Question: what were the shooting stages like?

Leaveammoforme
03-10-21, 14:44
Congratulations on your outcome! I know you worked hard to get there! Thank you for your AAR and 'lessons learned.' Question: what were the shooting stages like?

Shooting at this one (COF varies as with everything else at each match) was fairly straightforward. Longest rifle shots were around 200 yards, with the majority being around 30 yards. Most pistol work was in the 20-30 yard range.

One stage was a generic 2 Gun style stage shooting on full size targets. All other stages were reduced sized targets. Close in rifle targets were index cards. Pistol targets were folded in half printer paper.

I assume the close and reduced sized targets were looking to find people slipping mentally on POA vs POI. It obviously worked. I would occasionally peek at other peoples targets and see tiny groups below the actual target.

I believe that every firing sequence was rifle first then transition to pistol (when pistol was in play). If it wasn't I screwed up cause that's how I shot them.

All shooting had some sort of rule or sequence that tended to change depending on where a person was at in the completion of the stage. I.e., Standing for this leg, weak hand this leg, left target for these legs, right targets for these legs, while holding a sandbag this leg, kneeling, sitting, etc.

Only shot a VTAC on one stage and port numbers for legs were easy (0,2,3. Lol, still ready) all of which could be shot kneeling.

The "Long Movement" stage was only around a mile with no additional weight (Armor, ammo, rifle and pistol only). We even shot before the run. The shooting was from multiple "tank barricades" that wouldn't allow a person to see all targets from one position.

Round count was approximately 200'ish for handgun with rifle being around 250'ish.

chuckman
03-10-21, 16:37
Shooting at this one (COF varies as with everything else at each match) was fairly straightforward. Longest rifle shots were around 200 yards, with the majority being around 30 yards. Most pistol work was in the 20-30 yard range.

One stage was a generic 2 Gun style stage shooting on full size targets. All other stages were reduced sized targets. Close in rifle targets were index cards. Pistol targets were folded in half printer paper.

I assume the close and reduced sized targets were looking to find people slipping mentally on POA vs POI. It obviously worked. I would occasionally peek at other peoples targets and see tiny groups below the actual target.

I believe that every firing sequence was rifle first then transition to pistol (when pistol was in play). If it wasn't I screwed up cause that's how I shot them.

All shooting had some sort of rule or sequence that tended to change depending on where a person was at in the completion of the stage. I.e., Standing for this leg, weak hand this leg, left target for these legs, right targets for these legs, while holding a sandbag this leg, kneeling, sitting, etc.

Only shot a VTAC on one stage and port numbers for legs were easy (0,2,3. Lol, still ready) all of which could be shot kneeling.

The "Long Movement" stage was only around a mile with no additional weight (Armor, ammo, rifle and pistol only). We even shot before the run. The shooting was from multiple "tank barricades" that wouldn't allow a person to see all targets from one position.

Round count was approximately 200'ish for handgun with rifle being around 250'ish.

Thanks a bunch, that's an awesome report.

Once a month in one of my units on a Friday, we would do a five Mile run, 2 mi swim, obstacle course, 3 mi run, and a shoot. This sounds very similar to that kind of thing. I hope to get myself in position to be able to do this by the fall.