PDA

View Full Version : Sully stock installation problem

mmike87
11-21-08, 23:04
Anyone installed a Sully?

I am having a slight issue. The top screw that screws into the buffer tube doesn't screw all the way into the tube. It gets so tight and stopts, and the stock is not pulled all the way onto the lower - it's about 1/16" back and wobbles all over the place.

The screw is all stripped to hell and I can't get the tube out of the stock now it's in there so darn tight, but I had to get it off the rifle. It wasn't cross threaded - I had it in and out several times and it looked fine - but ths like time I "turned it up to 11" so to speak to try and close that last 1/16" and now it's on there. It can't be right with a gap and wobble like that. I had also read that the screw can be tight, so that's why I took it all the way to "spot torque."

They say to use some caulk on the indexing hole to take up play, but there should not be a gap between the stock and the receiver. No amount of caulk will make up for a gap. Play in the indexing hole perhaps. But not a gap.

Any suggestions from anyone who's installed this stock before? Thanks.

Iraq Ninja
11-21-08, 23:40
You failed to mention what brand of lower receiver you are using. I suspect that may be the issue here...

Ventura
11-21-08, 23:58
For the Sully stock you need to tighten the top screw before you tighten the bottom screw. That has been my experience.

mmike87
11-22-08, 00:01
It's a Rock River. But that's not the issue. Once I finally got the stock off the rifle, I can't get the end pad screwed far enough into the tube to get the butt pad to sit tight on the stock, which is exactly what I observed on the rifle, too.

Now, the screw is so damn tight that I can't unscrew the screw from the tube. So the tube is in the stock, held in by the screw and the butt pad is loose with a 1/16" or so gap between it and the stock and that's as tight as it goes.

I don't know what to do at this point - I need to grab a hold of the tube somehow but the only thing really exposed are the threads so that idea is a non-starter.

When I test fit the screw into the tube originally, it was very tight and didn't seem to go in very far. However, I read as TOS people had stated that a lot of torque was needed to install the stock, so I went forward.

At this point, I am not sure what to do. I emailed the company, too to see what they say. But something's sure not right IMO.

mmike87
11-22-08, 00:02
For the Sully stock you need to tighten the top screw before you tighten the bottom screw. That has been my experience.

The problem is that even off the rifle, the top screw is tight 1/16" shy from the butt pad being tight, thus the stock is totally loose.

I did several iterations of this and now I can't get the darn screw out.

Robb Jensen
11-22-08, 06:20
Sounds like the stock screw is too long. If you've messed up the screw and the receiver extension it's not the end of the world. The Sully uses the entry length receiver extension and you can modify an A2 stock screw to work.

mmike87
11-22-08, 08:21
I was thinking that ... but the screw was really, really hard to turn in at all. I am also using the 1" extender - perhaps the holes drilled in the extender are too deep and that is giving the same effect as the screw being too long. IF I can get the screw out, I'll try with the regular butt pad and see if the same thing happens.

mmike87
11-22-08, 10:54
OK, I got the screw out. C-Clamp, pieces of wood, and a dish rag. :)

The problem is there is something wrong with either the receiver extension or the screw. The threads do not match between the two. You can see where the screw is taking metal off the inside of the tube, and the screw only goes in about three threads (very hard), shaving all the way, before stopping.

I think I need to contact the manufacturer and request a replacement tube and screw as there is certainly no way to make these work.

When I first started to screw it in and it was difficult I tookit out and made sure I was not cross-threaded and it did not appear so.

The good news is it doesn't look like the stock is damaged, and once it's on there I think I'm going to like it. Nice and solid.

mmike87
11-22-08, 14:20
Received reply from manufacturer and am sending tube and screw back to them for inspection. Thanks to Sully for his quick response.

Ventura
11-22-08, 23:46
I have a Sully stock on my BCM build.

I bought another Sully stock for another build and have the EXACT same issue as you. The receiver extension tube thread and the screw don't match. I resolved the issue by buying 1/4" machine screw the same length as the one that came with the stock. It was a big waste of time trying to make parts fit. I expect "high quality" parts to fit right the first time.

I think Sully should check the fit of the parts before they ship them out. And it's ridiculous that you'd have to send your tube for them to "look at". That's too much down time and more hassle. I feel that it's bad enough that I wasted so much time trying to figure out how to make the suckers fit the way they were supposed to in the first place. They should be sending you and me the proper fitting tube and screw!

The sad part is I've been defending the quality of Sully stock to my friends and when the parts just didn't fit as they supposed to they just laughed and said, "that's what you get for buying the silly stock". Needless to say I doubt I'd be buying anymore of these stocks.

mmike87
11-23-08, 12:42
Well, at least I am not the only one. I was worried that I had just cross threaded it or something and messed it up myself.

I don't know how long this will take, but I'm stockless until then I guess. Not much I can do about it at this point, and I already tore the threads on the receiver extension up trying to make the other one fit.

Normally, when things don't feel right like that I'll back off ... but I read several threads saying that the fit was always pretty snug, so I figured I'd keep on trying.

SLR15
11-23-08, 18:05
mmike87,
I asked you to send us the tube and screw to see what the problem might be. We manufacture the stocks. The tubes and screws are outsourced. We assemble the stocks before they go out. I am going to assume that your stock arrived assembled and not in pieces? The assembly process we do is put the tube inside of the stock, put the standard buttplate and sling mount into place, then both screws are put into place and tightened to hold the buttplate to the stock, and finally we put the buffer and recoil spring together and place them inside of the tube. If the threads were not working we probably wouldn't be able to get the buttplate screwed onto the stock during assembly before packaging and shipping. Most of the screws that we use for the tubes are the standard A2 screw that most times comes with Nylok on them, occasionally the supplier sends ones without the Nylok. The Nylok will make things tight, as it is designed to keep the screw from walking loose. The top hole in the buttplate is canted at a 4-degree angle, Milspec design from the A2, which adds tension to by pulling the buttplate and stock. It is possible to cross threaded things trying to put the top screw (A2) in straight and not aware that it is canted. When installing the buttplates it is best to slowly tighten the screws together so they pull in evenly. Anyways we are awaiting your tube and screw to figure out what the problem is, it could be problems with the parts or the assembly, we will deal with it when it arrives. If you wish you can send us the lower receiver and we will happily assemble it for you if you wish.

mmike87
11-23-08, 19:49
It's in the mail tomorrow. Like I stated before, I tried to thread the screw into the tube BEFORE I even assembled to stock. It was very, very tight - but I couldn't get a lot of torque on it holding it in my hand. Some posters on TOS suggested in the past that it was often a tight fit, so I assembled the stock and observed the same tightness.

Yes, it arrived just as you said. And the screw threaded into the stock just fine, just not into the tube. However if it's necessary for the screw to actually thread into the stock, then those threads are stripped now. I figured what really held it all together was the threading into the tube.

I understand what you say about the canting, but it did this with the tube outside the stock as well.

I thought it was just that I had done something, but the other poster in this thread observed the same behavior and solved it using a different screw.

Regardless, thanks for the explanation and the tube and screw are already boxed up and will go priority mail first thing in the AM.

Thanks.

El Mac
11-23-08, 20:36
Anyways we are awaiting your tube and screw to figure out what the problem is, it could be problems with the parts or the assembly, we will deal with it when it arrives. If you wish you can send us the lower receiver and we will happily assemble it for you if you wish.

Thats some might fine customer service if you ask me...

Ventura
11-24-08, 12:49
Fine customer service for me would've been...

1. Send the customer an immediate replacement for the parts, next day air.
2. Send a return mailer envelope so that the customer and can give back the poorly spec'd parts.

The bright side is I like the way my Sully stock feels on my BCM build. I still think it's a great design. My confidence has definitely been shaken though until they can get a better manufacturer for their out sourced parts.

El Mac
11-24-08, 13:05
I guess thats one way to look at it...

mmike87
12-08-08, 19:21
Update.

I received a replacement tube and screw, and they all fit perfectly. The stock went right together and I had no issues. I like the feel of it ... it's very solid and has a good cheek weld. I'm using the extra spacer.

Included: A t-shirt and a $5 bill to cover the shipping. That was a nice touch and appreciated. :)

Two questions:

1) Should I use blue locktite on the tube and screws, since the tube can't be staked?
2) What torque do I tighten the stock screw down to? I snugged it down good with the screwdriver, being careful not to overtighten. I googled "AR 15 rifle stock screw torque" and some other variations and nothing jumped out at me.

Now I just need to snag the Tango down QD sling adapter that hopefully will fit around the base of the stock.

Thanks.

MassMark
12-08-08, 22:03
The Sully is awesome - my only complaint is their screws - mine are chewed up after a few takedowns. Other than that, it's a beautiful stock - cheek weld is superb. I too use the spacer and the fit is just a hair off, but nothing to get anal about. I found no need for LocTite whatsoever, nor measuring torque. I snugged the tube up with a wrench, slid the stock on and snugged up the stock screws - it's rock solid. I officially hit 1,000 rounds with it this afternoon, (man was it freezing) and I like the Sully more with every pull of the trigger. I need to install my Sully Trigger Guard next....;)

mmike87
12-09-08, 05:50
OK, thanks for the info.

usmcvet
04-17-11, 11:10
Mike

How is the Sully stock working for you?