PDA

View Full Version : Back in the “gun” game after years away...

rushca01
03-19-20, 14:58
So back in the late 00’s I took a deep dive into all things guns and gun classes etc..And bought about 6 different AR’s including 3 SBR’s and several cans. Since about 2015 I have not really kept a pulse on the gun industry, what’s new, what’s old, who’s gone etc.. I knew of some developments like the Aimpoint T2 and stuff BCM was doing but in general lost touch.

So...with all the COVID 19 stuff going on I decided to brush up...and see what’s what. Surprised to see that the legacy Larue stuff is still around, my T1 though dated is still valid, my Larue quad rails again (though dated) have come full circle (quad rails that is). For awhile it was key lock/m lock and the quad rail was dated but it seems to have made a comeback. All my Troy flip up irons are still around.

Anyhow, I dusted off the gear and ordered a few new parts to build a spare truck gun with a pistol lower (T2, surefire whitelight, BCM BCG, blue force gear sling), all for a spare LMT CQB upper I had laying around. Now it’s time to change out all the batteries on the 4 aimpoint I have, the 2 DBALS, PVS 14, and the surefire lights...I know I know I should have done it awhile ago but other areas of my life required my attention.

I also ordered 250 rounds of black hill 62 gen Tsx from G&R, I have plenty of bulk 5.56.

Anybody else in a similar boat? I still check in here from time to time, mostly the GD section, seems like traffic has slowed some from a few years ago.

SteyrAUG
03-19-20, 16:42
So back in the late 00’s I took a deep dive into all things guns and gun classes etc..And bought about 6 different AR’s including 3 SBR’s and several cans. Since about 2015 I have not really kept a pulse on the gun industry, what’s new, what’s old, who’s gone etc.. I knew of some developments like the Aimpoint T2 and stuff BCM was doing but in general lost touch.

So...with all the COVID 19 stuff going on I decided to brush up...and see what’s what. Surprised to see that the legacy Larue stuff is still around, my T1 though dated is still valid, my Larue quad rails again (though dated) have come full circle (quad rails that is). For awhile it was key lock/m lock and the quad rail was dated but it seems to have made a comeback. All my Troy flip up irons are still around.

Anyhow, I dusted off the gear and ordered a few new parts to build a spare truck gun with a pistol lower (T2, surefire whitelight, BCM BCG, blue force gear sling), all for a spare LMT CQB upper I had laying around. Now it’s time to change out all the batteries on the 4 aimpoint I have, the 2 DBALS, PVS 14, and the surefire lights...I know I know I should have done it awhile ago but other areas of my life required my attention.

I also ordered 250 rounds of black hill 62 gen Tsx from G&R, I have plenty of bulk 5.56.

Anybody else in a similar boat? I still check in here from time to time, mostly the GD section, seems like traffic has slowed some from a few years ago.

If you are running ARs with T1s you are still good to go and will be for some time. But unless you live in a very urban area, I don't completely understand the corona threat that will be solved with firearms.

I think the stores will continue to be restocked until the people who bought 87 megapacks of toilet paper realize they now have a 5 year supply. So I don't anticipate food riots or the related societal collapse associated with shortages at wal mart.

Weapon lights and 5 loaded magazines at the ready and then it's back to business as usual as far as I'm concerned. My only corona fear is I'm hoping the old couple who lives on the corner is being looked after by somebody and that they have everything they need to duck and cover for the duration of the declared emergency. I don't know them personally to knock on the door and check, but I hope somebody is looking out.

markm
03-19-20, 17:14
I don't completely understand the corona threat that will be solved with firearms.

Euthanizing all media members with firearms would solve the corona problem.

rushca01
03-19-20, 17:49
If you are running ARs with T1s you are still good to go and will be for some time. But unless you live in a very urban area, I don't completely understand the corona threat that will be solved with firearms.

I think the stores will continue to be restocked until the people who bought 87 megapacks of toilet paper realize they now have a 5 year supply. So I don't anticipate food riots or the related societal collapse associated with shortages at wal mart.

Weapon lights and 5 loaded magazines at the ready and then it's back to business as usual as far as I'm concerned. My only corona fear is I'm hoping the old couple who lives on the corner is being looked after by somebody and that they have everything they need to duck and cover for the duration of the declared emergency. I don't know them personally to knock on the door and check, but I hope somebody is looking out.

Agreed, we live in the second largest city in Indiana, have 3 acres in a relatively rural area outside the “city”. More concerned about when the money stops coming in an the have nots start approaching the haves. Already reports of increased break ins especially the elderly (which we are not). Just being prepared.

But, I have a new T2 headed my way and BCM pistol lower. Really looking to maybe add a 1x8 or 1x6....

seb5
03-19-20, 21:22

Good to see you back Chris! FWIW I've still got the same 2 T-1's I had so long ago at Pats classes. T-2's are too much but I did add a Vortex1-6 and an MRO to the Nightforces and Trijicons! I also still have the PVS-14 and Dbal-1. I think for the most part good, quality stuff is as useable as it ever was, especially if a guy trained(trains) with it. Some of my rifles have went away and I bought a few others but my main SPR, SBR, and LW carbine are the same ones I had in 2009.

OH58D
03-19-20, 23:03
Kind of the way my mind works...

Had to go to the UPS center this week 70 miles away to pick up 1000 rounds of American Eagle XM193. Lady at the counter noted the two boxes were a little heavy and joked about them being ammunition. I responded that this was medicine - COVID-19 Pills.

SteyrAUG
03-20-20, 00:56

Doh! I always miss the easy / obvious ones.

SteyrAUG
03-20-20, 01:03
Agreed, we live in the second largest city in Indiana, have 3 acres in a relatively rural area outside the “city”. More concerned about when the money stops coming in an the have nots start approaching the haves. Already reports of increased break ins especially the elderly (which we are not). Just being prepared.

But, I have a new T2 headed my way and BCM pistol lower. Really looking to maybe add a 1x8 or 1x6....

Ahhhh gotcha. While things can always come apart and it's better to be vigilant, I don't see this becoming the zombie apocalypse. Watch your sector, watch your stuff but otherwise be prepared for business as usual.

Corona is a mutation of SARS and we survived that one just fine. I personally think this is a test run of new government "emergency systems" put in place that we will then get to fund "for our own safety" and otherwise mostly a nothingburger.

Obviously that is all very zip code dependent. Make sure you don't flash your stash or armaments, being somewhat remote they might try to take you on just for the gun stash. Nobody said criminals were smart.

Handgun on you at ALL TIMES even when just doing work on the property or whatever is probably more important than any of your other sticks.

Vegas
03-20-20, 02:22
Handgun on you at ALL TIMES even when just doing work on the property or whatever is probably more important than any of your other sticks.

That right there. Murphy has no respect for convenience.

rushca01
03-20-20, 08:36
Good to see you back Chris! FWIW I've still got the same 2 T-1's I had so long ago at Pats classes. T-2's are too much but I did add a Vortex1-6 and an MRO to the Nightforces and Trijicons! I also still have the PVS-14 and Dbal-1. I think for the most part good, quality stuff is as useable as it ever was, especially if a guy trained(trains) with it. Some of my rifles have went away and I bought a few others but my main SPR, SBR, and LW carbine are the same ones I had in 2009.

Hey Hobe! Hope all is well! When I get around to it I’ll post a pic circa 2010 (EAG class) and today and my primary setup is virtually the same.

I think I settled on snagging a Nightforce NX8 1-8...should fit my purpose...not sure I want to spend the coin on its big brother.

Jellybean
03-20-20, 10:04
... I decided to brush up...and see what’s what. Surprised to see that the legacy Larue stuff is still around, my T1 though dated is still valid, my Larue quad rails again (though dated) have come full circle (quad rails that is). For awhile it was key lock/m lock and the quad rail was dated but it seems to have made a comeback. All my Troy flip up irons are still around...

In the rush to get all the 'new hotness' items, many people seem to forget that the old stuff still works just fine.
I ran the same Daniel Defense V3 I got back in 2011 with an aimpoint pro, Tory BUIS, VCAS sling and magpul furniture until just a couple years ago. And it STILL has the same sling, BUIS, and furniture on it, despite other changes.

The only REAL differences, in large general terms you're going to see from your day til now is, better selection of handguns, pistol-brace-everything, RDS on handguns becoming more prevalent, 1x6/8 ruling the rifle optic market, budget optics have come a LONG way (holosun/Primary arms) and everything is now Mlok instead of Pic rails, for which, frankly is the ONE thing I am thankful for. I'm frankly not seeing a pic-rail comeback, unless there's some weird instagram-driven retro "thing" going on kinda like ACU in the airsoft community a while back... :laugh: Mlok is the truth. Oh, and lights are now hella bright. #allthelumens :cool:

That's pretty much it, as far as big obvious stuff.

Surefire/Streamlight are still go-to for WML, the big names in optics/rifles/handguns/accessories/etc are still the big names. Apex triggers are still the shit (make sure you get a flat trigger for extra instagram points).
Pretty much the only thing you need to make your rifle a "current year" gun is swap to Mlok and stick a LPVO on top. For handgun, slide cut for RDS with lots of cool but needless serrations and cutouts, swap to a flat trigger, mount a Holosun. Voila, now hip with the instagram kids. ;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-20-20, 16:06
Kind of the way my mind works...

Had to go to the UPS center this week 70 miles away to pick up 1000 rounds of American Eagle XM193. Lady at the counter noted the two boxes were a little heavy and joked about them being ammunition. I responded that this was medicine - COVID-19 Pills.

1000 rounds? I don’t warm up the credit card for less than 3k ;). Especially if I had to drive to get it.

In the guns, the difference between 1999 when to 2009 is a world of difference, but 2009 to 2019, meh. Bolt/PRS has changed a lot, at least in options for actions and scopes, with the price point down too, along with digital wind readers and ballistic calculators.

Actually using the down time and the boy being on break with nowhere to go, to pull out all the guns out of the gun room and safe and mate uppers and lowers together and get a scope/sight appropriate for each- not buying anything, just rationalizing. Umm, yeah. Got the sickness...

I’m not anticipating the bug-alooo, but I can already tell that the crazies on the fringe know something is off and they are getting more bold and active in new areas. So really just more standard threat, but at a higher level.

He’ll, and A2 with paracord ‘sling’ and a holster for your Glock- do you really need more?

rushca01
03-20-20, 16:12
Good point regarding the advancement from 1999-2009; I’m sure GWOT had a big thing to do with that. You’re also right about 2009 to current, there hasn’t been much change other than keymod and m-lock. Fortunately I got in 2009...so most of my stuff is still relevant and not outdated. For example, someone posted about their aimpoint from 1999 which is certainly out dated but the T1 from 2009ish is really not.

SteyrAUG
03-20-20, 16:26
Good point regarding the advancement from 1999-2009; I’m sure GWOT had a big thing to do with that. You’re also right about 2009 to current, there hasn’t been much change other than keymod and m-lock. Fortunately I got in 2009...so most of my stuff is still relevant and not outdated. For example, someone posted about their aimpoint from 1999 which is certainly out dated but the T1 from 2009ish is really not.

If it makes you feel better I'm still running an MP5, iron sights / no RDS and a Surefire 300. So with the exception of the light, I'm 1980s tech.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-20-20, 16:34
I think on the AR side, the training has changed more than the gear in the past ten years. All the little weapon manipulation lessons are leaking out with all the former MIL guys.

rushca01
03-20-20, 17:45
If it makes you feel better I'm still running an MP5, iron sights / no RDS and a Surefire 300. So with the exception of the light, I'm 1980s tech.

That’s just pure sex! I want to pick up one of the HK that they just released.

flenna
03-20-20, 18:23

Doncha know, you are a dead man walking with that set up. Get with it, bro.

SteyrAUG
03-20-20, 22:21
Doncha know, you are a dead man walking with that set up. Get with it, bro.

It's ok, I got a Taurus Judge on my belt with snake loads.

MountainRaven
03-21-20, 00:07
I think the only thing significant to change in the last five-to-ten years are the lumens. Even LPVOs haven't really changed much, there are just more options and they aren't as expensive.

If you're going to do anything new, just get more lumens.

And anyone who thinks you can't do work with an MP5 and a P226 with SureFires on them is... silly.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but there are many worse choices.

SteyrAUG
03-21-20, 03:08
I think the only thing significant to change in the last five-to-ten years are the lumens. Even LPVOs haven't really changed much, there are just more options and they aren't as expensive.

If you're going to do anything new, just get more lumens.

And anyone who thinks you can't do work with an MP5 and a P226 with SureFires on them is... silly.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but there are many worse choices.

That's no joke. I used to think my Streamlight TL1/2s were serious biz. Then I got a SF P3X Fury and it reminds me of the old hand held 10 million candle power spotlights we were playing with a decade ago.

rushca01
03-22-20, 10:17
The “LARPing” thing is pretty funny too, it’s crossed over from “nerds” to guns. I think it was started or made popular by “Garand thumb” , it’s funny because it’s true.

jpmuscle
03-22-20, 11:12
The “LARPing” thing is pretty funny too, it’s crossed over from “nerds” to guns. I think it was started or made popular by “Garand thumb” , it’s funny because it’s true.

It was well in full swing before GT came along.

Albeit totally gay in concept it’s been good for the 2A cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rushca01
03-22-20, 11:20
It was well in full swing before GT came along.

Albeit totally gay in concept it’s been good for the 2A cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just shows how I haven’t kept up with the culture. If it’s been good for the 2A cause, when is the next LARP meetup????

Oh, and “I am that guy”.

TehLlama
03-26-20, 13:47

As somebody who arrived at this point from actual theatrical LARPing (both modern warfare themed and classical nerdy), via airsoft through to using large airsoft events to refine my actual deployment kit layout and understanding of small unit tactics, it's not all bad... but it's hard to make anything positive come out of it unless you have some sense of humor to apply.
The same idea from the meme of 'How do I use being a D&D DM in my resume' - RKBA-LARP honestly does have quite a bit of practical upside, and it is a much wider audience. The approach tends to be different, but for the most part it's a group of people FAR more willing to actually receive educated information and distill useful knowledge from it than the historical fudd-types (sorry) who tend to lack the intellectual curiousity to understand what could (should) be better, and why.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-26-20, 18:15
As somebody who arrived at this point from actual theatrical LARPing (both modern warfare themed and classical nerdy), via airsoft through to using large airsoft events to refine my actual deployment kit layout and understanding of small unit tactics, it's not all bad... but it's hard to make anything positive come out of it unless you have some sense of humor to apply.
The same idea from the meme of 'How do I use being a D&D DM in my resume' - RKBA-LARP honestly does have quite a bit of practical upside, and it is a much wider audience. The approach tends to be different, but for the most part it's a group of people FAR more willing to actually receive educated information and distill useful knowledge from it than the historical fudd-types (sorry) who tend to lack the intellectual curiousity to understand what could (should) be better, and why.

There have been many that made the jump from airsoft to real firearms, I know a few. I knew, and still don't know much of anything about airsoft prior to being invited to go play a game several months ago. I wore my own chest rig, but I used borrowed equipment. I went in with the expectation that the players would try to keep some semblance of real world tactics and not taking unnecessary risks that you wouldn't take if the opposite side was slinging real bullets in our direction. The first game I kinda held back and played off others lead, and for the most part it lived up to my expectations. I got eliminated early in the second game so I wasn't around to see how it played out. The third game was a real shit show with people just basically playing tactical grab ass so I took an easy hit so I could go take a leak and eat some beef jerky. The guy that invited me said that it usually plays out like that, the first game or two is semi serious then it goes down hill from there, so if I were to go again I'd likely bounce after the first or second game.