PDA

View Full Version : Barrel question

Slater
03-20-20, 12:55
Looking at some of Rock River's AR offerings, some are HBAR's with a Wylde chamber. These are neither Chromed or Nitrided, but apparently untreated barrels. They also have the reputation for being very accurate, and are oriented toward the competition crowd.

Does untreated CMV have decent longevity? Presumably a competition shooter would replace it when accuracy falls off.

Renegade04
03-20-20, 14:49
Looking at some of Rock River's AR offerings, some are HBAR's with a Wylde chamber. These are neither Chromed or Nitrided, but apparently untreated barrels. They also have the reputation for being very accurate, and are oriented toward the competition crowd.

Does untreated CMV have decent longevity? Presumably a competition shooter would replace it when accuracy falls off.

I have a RRA 20" A2 that has one of these types of barrels (20” CMV (unlined) HBAR, 1:9 twist with a .223 Wylde chamber). It is a superb shooter. As long as one uses good ammo, does not do constant mag dumps, and keeps the barrel clean after use, there is no telling how many rounds one will have to go through before the barrel would warrant replacement. Typically, unlined CMV barrels provide excellent accuracy. As for my RRA, it never gets shot enough, so the barrel will last a long time.

Slater
03-20-20, 15:59
RRA sells the same barrel with a chrome lining. Wonder how the accuracy compares between the two?

vicious_cb
03-20-20, 18:15
Its 2020, why would anyone want to buy an unlined barrel.

Slater
03-20-20, 20:13

Not sure, but RRA seems to sell a respectable number of them. I would imagine that most of them are bought just for range/competition use.

chef8489
03-21-20, 00:31

Idk maybe because it is still more accurate than a chrome lined barrel.

vicious_cb
03-21-20, 00:45
Idk maybe because it is still more accurate than a chrome lined barrel.

You want better accuracy buy a decent stainless barrel.

NWcityguy2
03-21-20, 20:21
Below the highest levels of accuracy, there isn't a difference.

grizzman
03-21-20, 21:07

You're suggesting that a non-top-of-the-line chrome lined barrel performs just as well as a non-top-of-the-line bare 4150 barrel, which performs just as well as a non-top-of-the-line Nitrided barrel, which performs just as well as a non-top-of-the-line stainless barrel?

If so, then I don't think there are many folks that agree with your opinion.

NWcityguy2
03-21-20, 21:27
If I was saying that, then you wouldn't have needed to paraphrase it in your own words.

grizzman
03-21-20, 21:35
My reading comprehension must be off this evening. I'll go back to loading ammo.

NWcityguy2
03-21-20, 21:52
What I'm saying is that I've seen 2 moa barrels in every configuration, 1.5 moa barrels in every configuration, 1 moa barrels in every configuration and 3/4 moa barrels in every configuration. It is pointless to say, "why not buy the most expensive option?" without any other consideration.

Slater
03-24-20, 08:04
Does Wilson still make RRA's barrels?

ubet
04-01-20, 18:07

I have learned that the accuracy of a qaulity firearm is generally more accurate than me. Lol. I used to worry about every round having the same ol down to the thousandth of an inch, perfect powder throw etc. Then I realized I cant shoot with the top 1%, hell I cant shoot with the top 25% probably. So I would rather enjoy life than chasing the last spec of accuracy. So for the average shooter chrome vs ss vs naked isnt a big difference. Unless you’re in the top 10%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveS
04-05-20, 18:29
Its 2020, why would anyone want to buy an unlined barrel.For a target or varmit rigle why would it matter? Just thinking.

gaijin
04-05-20, 18:43
I could see toasting the throat on a Prairie Dog AR.
Not uncommon to shoot a boatload if ammo fairly quickly.