PDA

View Full Version : Went to Cabela’s today... What is going on??

JediGuy
03-21-20, 14:49
The used gun room was stripped.

Entire shelves in the handgun section were empty, with lines and people waiting for their number to be called.

This place was dead barely more than a week ago.

People are crazy.

https://i.imgur.com/X6gN4R7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YeLxIpt.jpg

Maybe I’ll post that 1000 rounds of XM193 I just bought somewhere and see what happens if I ask for $750.

People aren’t crazy, they’re stupid.

I’m going to put down some money that this whole situations ends up helping out the solvency of welfare programs as well as Social Security.

just a scout
03-21-20, 15:03
Uhhh... it’s the Apocalypse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vicious_cb
03-21-20, 15:14
The used gun room was stripped.

Entire shelves in the handgun section were empty, with lines and people waiting for their number to be called.

This place was dead barely more than a week ago.

People are crazy.

Maybe I’ll post that 1000 rounds of XM193 I just bought somewhere and see what happens if I ask for $750.

People aren’t crazy, they’re stupid.

I’m going to put down some money that this whole situations ends up helping out the solvency of welfare programs as well as Social Security.

I guess you are one of those people who have been living under a rock for the past few weeks.

pinzgauer
03-21-20, 15:16
Uhhh... it’s the Apocalypse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProCoronapocolypse

JediGuy
03-21-20, 15:21
I gujess you are one of those people who have been living under a rock for the past few weeks.

Not really...but I guess perhaps a little.
Every Tom, Dishaun, and Harriet decides now they need a handgun for some reason?
I sorta understand toilet paper and food. But thinking that this necessitates firepower is a misreading of the situation.

Striker6
03-21-20, 15:22
Nobody could possibly be this oblivious to the current state of the nation and world right now.

CrowCommand
03-21-20, 15:26
Our governor recently extended the background check time in our state from 7 to 30 days, because so many people are buying. Temporarily, unless they extend it after 30 via another executive order.

These are crazy times, amigos...

jsbhike
03-21-20, 15:30
Every Tom, Dishaun, and Harriet decides now they need a handgun for some reason?
I sorta understand toilet paper and food. But thinking that this necessitates firepower is a misreading of the situation.

I never have understood toilet paper, especially since it was getting wiped out before there were bare spots on the food shelves. Definitely putting the cart before the horse.

There seems to be a fairly even mix of concern over:

a) looters
b) the official response

to explain the small arms situation.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?221655-DOJ-seeks-new-emergency-powers-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

pinzgauer
03-21-20, 15:31
I sorta understand toilet paper and food. But thinking that this necessitates firepower is a misreading of the situation.LMGS (local mega gun store) has been selling over 1000 per day. Lines 5-10 deep across 5 checkout stations. Back to 2008 times.

Staying 2 hrs after closing to get all the background checks done on the last customers.

Shotguns, pistols, ARs... Saw all types. And these are not typical gun folks.

And ammo by the shopping cart. Guy in front of me had 3 1k cases of 9mm at $14/50 in his buggy. $800 worth of 9mm after taxes.

JediGuy
03-21-20, 15:38
getting wiped out

Chuckle...

odugrad
03-21-20, 15:44
Makes me thankful I have what I have.

Vgex2
03-21-20, 15:50
Same with Buda, TX. Was working from home Thursday, and decided to head over on my lunch break. Used guns were nearly cleaned out, and ammo shelves were paltry, to say the least. Smh.

09fatbob
03-21-20, 20:01
These are the same people who buy toilet paper b 4 food... I look forward to buying like new guns cheap

a1fabweld
03-21-20, 20:27

Do it. After the sandy hook panic, I was selling 1k cases of PMC .223 for $860 delivered in the conUS. I sold 6 of them one after the other and people were grateful. I’m gonna do it again if it gets crazy like that this time.

duece71
03-21-20, 21:31
Thankfully the reloading section at my Cabelas is fully stocked. I am happy for that. :-)

JediGuy
03-21-20, 21:54
People are nuts. This is just a reminder for me. The run on guns is silly, though I understand ammo. I wish/hope some of the people I saw today would actually change their politics and vote red in the fall, but that will never happen in this area. They’re just scared, and I do feel some compassion for them because of that. But that same tendency toward fear will make them vote for the person who promises them more free stuff.

The whole Coronavirus deal is a real concern, but these sorts of emotional reactions are what cause problems, not a virus that will kill 10-20,000 people over a few months (barely even a bump in the grand scheme) no matter what we do.

HMM
03-22-20, 06:37
Thankfully the reloading section at my Cabelas is fully stocked. I am happy for that. :-)

I'm glad I got into it as well. I haven't reloaded in about a year but I'm stocked up.

themonk
03-22-20, 07:48
I'm glad I got into it as well. I haven't reloaded in about a year but I'm stocked up.

Same here. It has been cheaper and easier to buy lately but I can be up in running quickly and have been stocked in that department since after sandy hook.

duece71
03-22-20, 21:53
Yep, my local Cabelas has gone full retard. Empty gun cabinets, ammo shelves empty, quite few people sitting around waiting for a number to be called. I knew what I wanted/needed so I was in and out in a flash. Ohio Guv said tomorrow is the start of shelter in place....may put a stop to some of this nonsensical behavior.

Averageman
03-22-20, 23:11
When people buy a car, more likely than not they know how to drive.
I'm not wishing that anyone that wants a gun doesn't get one, but this might be a hell of a time to be entering the learning curve.
Everyone being asked to stay at home and all, the weirdness just starts stacking.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-22-20, 23:52
You...you really don't know why people are buying guns and ammo....like really.....you really don't know?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=coronavirus

THCDDM4
03-23-20, 00:45
What’s going on? It’s almost like there is a worldwide pandemic and economic breakdown happening in an election year- or something...

Travelingchild
03-24-20, 08:28
Do it. After the sandy hook panic, I was selling 1k cases of PMC .223 for $860 delivered in the conUS. I sold 6 of them one after the other and people were grateful. I’m gonna do it again if it gets crazy like that this time.

Thinking the same thing, but a buddy of mine said that wasn't right & i should sell it to him for what i paid for it. Yeah right, told him i was going to sell it for what ever the Current market is willing to pay, So now i'm an ass.

Finally, told him it wasn't my problem he didn't buy when it was cheap, and said screw it I bought it to shoot so that's what what I'm going to do with my ammo,
Enjoy the reason i bought it, then reload the brass and rock on at the range.

He didn't like that attitude.

duece71
03-24-20, 10:19
Thinking the same thing, but a buddy of mine said that wasn't right & i should sell it to him for what i paid for it. Yeah right, told him i was going to sell it for what ever the Current market is willing to pay, So now i'm an ass.

Finally, told him it wasn't my problem he didn't buy when it was cheap, and said screw it I bought it to shoot so that's what what I'm going to do with my ammo,

The victim mentality never ceases to amaze me. No offense, but maybe this person is better kept out of your life.

Arik
03-24-20, 10:58

The victim mentality never ceases to amaze me. No offense, but maybe this person is better kept out of your life.Depends on what "buddy" means. For my buddy, id give him a case for free if he asked. Because in 20 or so years we've been friends there hasn't been a thing I asked that he said no to. Saved me a lot of money over the years. More so than a case of ammo.

duece71
03-24-20, 11:08
Depends on what "buddy" means. For my buddy, id give him a case for free if he asked. Because in 20 or so years we've been friends there hasn't been a thing I asked that he said no to. Saved me a lot of money over the years. More so than a case of ammo.

Very true. I didn’t know the exact circumstances so I am probably premature in my opinion.

26 Inf
03-24-20, 12:53
Depends on what "buddy" means. For my buddy, id give him a case for free if he asked. Because in 20 or so years we've been friends there hasn't been a thing I asked that he said no to. Saved me a lot of money over the years. More so than a case of ammo.

Kind of where I'm at.

Bulletdog
03-24-20, 13:15

Yeah... the grasshoppers of the world tend to get pretty resentful toward the ants of the world once the sh*t actually hits the fan. I can understand the lefty morons living in the big cities not being prepared for something like this, but I can't understand any gun guy not getting the concept of "stock up" while you can.

Hope you have other buddies that are paying more attention to the world that you can hang out with instead of this guy.

Travelingchild
03-24-20, 15:50
Buddy is maybe not the right word, actually a shooter at gun range who i interact with,(understanding the words buddy and friends must be quantified),

Don't get me wrong, i'm willing give ammo away to a real friend, I'm about to do just that, but a fellow shooter? simply based on interaction at the range? Nope.

Plus I guarantee, he just going to most likely flip it himself.

Last panic different "buddy" said he needed 22lr so his daughter could continue to shoot, said he couldn't find any, so i gave him a brick.
Next time at the range he shooting 22lr No kid in sight, blasting away & got about 5 bricks in his range bag. My sympathy went away that day to a certain extent. (& yes he does have a daughter)

marco.g
03-24-20, 15:55
Last panic different "buddy" said he needed 22lr so his daughter could continue to shoot, said he couldn't find any, so i gave him a brick.
Next time at the range he shooting 22lr No kid in sight, blasting away & got about 5 bricks in his range bag. My sympathy went away that day to a certain extent. (& yes he does have a daughter)

Man you are a saint. Only way a casual acquaintance gets ammo is if they want to put a couple rounds through my gun.

sundance435
03-25-20, 15:20
When people buy a car, more likely than not they know how to drive.
I'm not wishing that anyone that wants a gun doesn't get one, but this might be a hell of a time to be entering the learning curve.
Everyone being asked to stay at home and all, the weirdness just starts stacking.

Good point. Some future event(s) will be tied back to this and used as an example. Someone will slip through the cracks, etc. I doubt most of them will ever vote based on their newfound wisdom, either.

Ditto.