PDA

View Full Version : folding vertical grips

seekretsqrl
11-22-08, 08:44
Are there any pro's or cons to the folding vertical grips? What are there life expectancies of being tight and not flopping around? any info would be appreciated. I'm looking at purchasing one for my AR for work.

thopkins22
11-22-08, 10:40
For a healthy dose of OPIONON...

Pro's: It could conceivably make it easier to fit the weapon in some safes/cases/lock in a patrol car....

Con's: The ones I've handled felt like junk, they did not lock up solidly, if I were going for a traditional grip I had better purchase just running my hand in front of a regular vertical grip(awkward to use folded,) over priced, and probably a few others I can't think of.

Maybe somebody sees value in them(and I suppose they have a new and cool factor)...but at the moment I don't. If you're looking for a more low-pro front end, I'd just go for a stubby grip of some sort(or nothing at all.)

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-22-08, 10:43
I think the benefit is that you can fold the grip down, or is it up, either way, when the grip is not perpendicular to the barrel, "gangster grip" style, you can still shoot the weapon like a standard rifle by gripping the folded grip. Sort of a best of both worlds idea, I suppose.

That's the only benefit I can see to it, but I'm sure someone more high speed than yours truly can give you better advice.

Addendum: Thopkins is absolutely right. If you're looking for something a little more compact, a stubby would be way better than a folder.

seekretsqrl
11-23-08, 00:16
copy, thanks. I like the concept of the folding one but it would turn into a POS after a while. I guess for once the term stubby is good:D

CarlosDJackal
11-24-08, 02:12
You'd be better off using a stubby one. JM2CW.

Dave L.
11-24-08, 02:40
No reputable company makes a quality, well designed, folding grip.
Besides, there really isn't any concrete reason why a folding front grip would be needed on a CQB weapon, and no reason why a VFG should be on an SPR type weapon.
If you are still worried about that 1 in a million chance you would have to "fold the grip" to make a shot, then just buy one of the various quick release VFG's that are out there.

seekretsqrl
11-24-08, 03:32
No reputable company makes a quality, well designed, folding grip.
Besides, there really isn't any concrete reason why a folding front grip would be needed on a CQB weapon, and no reason why a VFG should be on an SPR type weapon.
If you are still worried about that 1 in a million chance you would have to "fold the grip" to make a shot, then just buy one of the various quick release VFG's that are out there.

Probably going to go 4 the TD QD stubby, thanks for the info

Dave L.
11-24-08, 04:00
Probably going to go 4 the TD QD stubby, thanks for the info

My next purchase will be the LaRue model, it's quick release and size adjustable.
Check it out:

LT-FUG (Forward Universal Grip) at www.larue.com

seekretsqrl
11-24-08, 04:40
My next purchase will be the LaRue model, it's quick release and size adjustable.
Check it out:

LT-FUG (Forward Universal Grip) at www.larue.com

That IS nice.....just a little more than TD.....but very versatile. I'll put it on my christmas list.