PDA

View Full Version : Prez Election By County!

recon
11-22-08, 10:16
Still see a lot of RED!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/campaign08/election/uscounties.html

hatt
11-22-08, 10:19
Too bad the blue counties tend to be jam packed with people.:(

telecustom
11-22-08, 12:02
Very interesting.

BVickery
11-22-08, 12:09
One reason I HATE winner takes all method of electoral votes.

Would love to see a system where your electoral votes are broken down by congressional districts and whoever takes the state as far as pop vote goes gets the 2 sentorial electoral votes.

One reason that Michigan and some other 'blue' states are blue is because of major cities,which is fine, but its been known that those who live in big cities tend to have a different view on a lot of political issues than those outside of it.

twodollarbill
11-22-08, 12:25
Here in Wisconsin I saw 10 to 1 McCain/Palin signs everywhere.
Always thought we threw the election Democratic because of Milwaukee.

Would of been interesting if each State had the same number of electorial votes????....Dam!!!

BlueForce
11-22-08, 19:27
Too bad the blue counties tend to be jam packed with people.:(

Large urban centers always go Democrat. That tends to be where the recipients of wealth distribution live. So they vote themselves a hunk of other people's money.

Now if each county had one electoral vote the Democrats would never hold power again...

Honu
11-22-08, 19:39
One reason I HATE winner takes all method of electoral votes.

and the reason my political science prof said that the system is screwed up

LOKNLOD
11-22-08, 20:33
Oklahoma: no blue whatsoever :D

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-22-08, 21:20
Uintah County, Utah: 83% McCain

Highest I could find, but Oklahoma is impressive.

mudrock
11-22-08, 21:58
I love county-by-county maps. This is the best one I've found for 2008. County results and you can compare them to '96, '00, and '04.

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/president/map.html

After the 2004 elections I found some great national maps built by scaling the size of counties by population, and shading them by proportion of the vote. There are strong blues and reds but it's mostly a purple country.

That's cool with me. I've spent time in places like Mexico and Japan where the ruling party has been in there for years. It's not a good recipe if you like a dynamic economy and the consequent power to determine your own future.

What if each county's vote were weighted by its economic performance per person? Minus all subsidies for agriculture, energy, corporate welfare, and so on -- what if we had a very strictly applied value added tax that would reveal exactly where wealth is being created, and weight those votes accordingly?

Somehow we've got to get beyond an economy based on spending more than we make. Debt and freedom are uneasy companions.

mudrock
11-22-08, 22:07
Uintah County, Utah: 83% McCain

Highest I could find, but Oklahoma is impressive.

OK & TX panhandles are high and Ochiltree County at 92% is highest I've found.