PDA

View Full Version : Current Production Lightweight 11.5 or 12.5 Barrels?

xanderzuk
03-28-20, 15:52
Besides BCM, is there anyone currently producing lightweight 11.5 or 12.5 barrels? I’m having trouble finding anything.

MistWolf
03-28-20, 15:57
Black River Tactical- https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Barrels-c1852006

xanderzuk
03-28-20, 16:11
Black River Tactical- https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Barrels-c1852006

I like their stuff, but at 23.1 oz I don’t know that I would consider their 11.5 “lightweight.”

crusader377
03-28-20, 17:54
Ballistic Advantage 11.3 Hanson with .625" gas block may meet your needs. Weighs 20 oz.

justin_247
03-28-20, 18:23
Besides BCM, is there anyone currently producing lightweight 11.5 or 12.5 barrels? I’m having trouble finding anything.

If you can find one of the older Colt 6933 uppers or barrels, that'd be your best bet. All the new 6933s have a .750" gas block journal, unlike the older versions which had a .625" journal.

Spikes markets an FN 11.5" LW barrel like the one linked below. If you look around, you can find them for less than $250. Not a bad piece.
https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/barrels/5-56-barrel-chf-lightweight-11-5/
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/sb51106-lw

Brownells has two 11.5" LW barrels, including one made by Faxon (first link). I don't know who makes the other one I link to.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-hybrid-5-56-barrel-prod122046.aspx
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-11-5-a1-carbine-barrel-assembly-prod114047.aspx

xanderzuk
03-28-20, 18:35
If you can find one of the older Colt 6933 uppers or barrels, that'd be your best bet. All the new 6933s have a .750" gas block journal, unlike the older versions which had a .625" journal.

Spikes markets an FN 11.5" LW barrel like the one linked below. If you look around, you can find them for less than $250. Not a bad piece.
https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/barrels/5-56-barrel-chf-lightweight-11-5/

Brownells has two 11.5" LW barrels, including one made by Faxon (first link). I don't know who makes the other one I link to.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-hybrid-5-56-barrel-prod122046.aspx
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-11-5-a1-carbine-barrel-assembly-prod114047.aspx

Thanks for the info. What’s the consensus on Faxon around these parts?

Wake27
03-28-20, 18:43
Spikes is gross and Faxon is reportedly overgassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediGuy
03-28-20, 19:11
BCM is probably the easiest choice, particularly if you get an assembled upper.

Faxon, legend has it, is over gassed, but the 11.5” Gunner is 18.24 oz.
https://faxonfirearms.com/11-5-gunner-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

Ballistic Advantage is not overgassed and is 20 oz. It was extra, but I think the upper I had with this barrel may be one I regret selling.
https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/11-3-inch-556-hanson-625-mid-cmv-performance-barrel.html

Pricing for these can be found for much less at different vendors.

I think I found a pencil barrel at one point, like a 6933, but can’t fine now.

AndyLate
03-28-20, 21:22
I used a BA Hanson 11.3" barrel on my pistol build and have no complaints. Mine was $160 shipped.

I picked a Hanson for the price, reputation for being reasonably gassed, and the constant taper profile. They have a "1 MOA" guarantee, for what it's worth.

My pistol has been very reliable with a wide range of factory and handloaded ammunition. I'm running a carbine length RE and standard action spring with an H2 buffer.

Andy

EDIT - I forgot to add that they come with a pinned low profile gas block.

opngrnd
03-28-20, 21:43
I know a guy with the Ballistic Advantage .625 11.3 barrel. It seems properly gassed and it shoots well. BRT may or may not be releasing a lighter 11.5" barrel with their polygonal rifling, which would be worth the wait, IMHO. Beyond that, I generally stick to Sionics since they gas their barrels approximately, but they are not LW.

hazmatt
03-28-20, 21:44
Another vote for the Hanson 11.3. My experience has been good. H2 buffer , zero issues.

Circle_10
03-28-20, 21:45

I used that Spike’s barrel for a 733 clone, bought it stripped and had a non-F FSB pinned. At the time it was the only game in town for an 11.5” pencil barrel with M4 ramps. I don’t know what the port size was but the SBR was wickedly overgassed and required mitigation in the form of a BRT gas tube to fix this.

At one point BCM offered lightweight 11.5s but they seem to have phased those out some time ago.

Leonidas24
03-29-20, 02:29
If you're looking for chrome lined I thought DD made LW versions of all their barrels, it seems though that they've phased them out since I last checked. Centurion Arms' 12.5" carbine barrel is 21.5 oz, not pencil profile weight but lighter than gov. If chrome lined isn't an issue the Ballistic Advantage barrels are top notch, and like others have said search around and you'll find them with a pinned gas block for $170-$180.

AndyLate
03-29-20, 07:22
Green Mountain has a phosphate/chrome lined 11.5" pencil barrel. They do not provide a weight and I don't know anything about their barrels.

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m64-11-5-pencil-profile-5-56mm-nato-with-1-7-twist/

Top Notch Top Ends sells a similar barrel with an equal lack of specs.

Andy

Mike Miller
03-29-20, 07:36
I used that Spike’s barrel for a 733 clone, bought it stripped and had a non-F FSB pinned. At the time it was the only game in town for an 11.5” pencil barrel with M4 ramps. I don’t know what the port size was but the SBR was wickedly overgassed and required mitigation in the form of a BRT gas tube to fix this.

I have a Spikes/FN barrel, also for my 733 clone, that I bought last year. The port on mine was .076, measured with numbered drill bits.

Furbyballer
03-29-20, 08:14
Definitely take a look at criterion's new core series of barrels. Just an awesome profile from a company that makes exceptionally accurate barrels for the money. If you want to spend more, I would be hard pressed to find a better barrel in 12.5 than the Jim Hodge's barrels which have never been more available. They are stupid light, sub moa, and you won't ever kill one with semi auto fire.

justin_247
03-29-20, 11:03
That BA barrel looks really nice. I'd go for that.

opngrnd
03-29-20, 12:54
Definitely take a look at criterion's new core series of barrels. Just an awesome profile from a company that makes exceptionally accurate barrels for the money. If you want to spend more, I would be hard pressed to find a better barrel in 12.5 than the Jim Hodge's barrels which have never been more available. They are stupid light, sub moa, and you won't ever kill one with semi auto fire.

This has my attention. Thanks for sharing.

JediGuy
03-29-20, 13:17
Jumping on the Criterion website reminded me.

Seems like their 12” lightweight barrel at 19#, produced for ADM, is exactly what you’re looking for.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/223-5-56/adm-223-wylde-lightweight/

Circle_10
03-29-20, 15:00
Green Mountain has a phosphate/chrome lined 11.5" pencil barrel. They do not provide a weight and I don't know anything about their barrels.

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m64-11-5-pencil-profile-5-56mm-nato-with-1-7-twist/

Andy

That’s new I think. I don’t believe Green Mountain offered those until recently.
As far as specs I don’t know most of them but I emailed Green Mountain about their 14.5 carbine pencil barrels a while back and they did tell me they were 4150 vanadium and they use that on all of their “military” barrels as of the time of the email. I bought two of the 14.5”s for Retro builds but have yet to use them.
GM barrels have a pretty good reputation for accuracy (I personally have found my probable GM barrels to shoot very well) and I believe they are the OEM source for the barrels used by several other companies, of course they are going to make whatever the client specifies so their house brand barrels may be more budget oriented, have big gas ports, or maybe not.

I don’t know much about TNTE’s products, except that they allegedly use either GM or DSA barrels, but the company itself seems to have a pretty terrible reputation as far as their business practices go.

I have a Spikes/FN barrel, also for my 733 clone, that I bought last year. The port on mine was .076, measured with numbered drill bits.

Interesting. Until I put the BRT gas tube in my 733 clone the freakin’ thing was chucking brass at like 12:30-1 o’clock and for a 5.56 AR was actually rather unpleasant to shoot. The BRT tube corrected both issues.

justin_247
03-29-20, 17:26

You have my interest. What size gas tube did you use?

Circle_10
03-29-20, 18:44

I went through BRT’s drop-down options then selected the “BRT recommended” size - basically when you place the order they assess the specs you selected in the drop down options and send you the size they recommend. In the case of my SBR it was a .071. You also have the option of just picking your own size as well if you already know what it is that you want or need.

themonk
03-29-20, 19:27
Hodge 12.5”. Mine is sub moa. It is hands down my favorite ar.

xanderzuk
03-29-20, 19:37
Another vote for the BCM enhanced LW

Another person who failed reading comprehension.

Thanks to all who’ve responded appropriately.

opngrnd
03-29-20, 23:53

I went through BRT’s drop-down options then selected the “BRT recommended” size - basically when you place the order they assess the specs you selected in the drop down options and send you the size they recommend. In the case of my SBR it was a .071. You also have the option of just picking your own size as well if you already know what it is that you want or need.

Keep in mind that the adjusted gas tube hole is not a direct translation to desired gas port size. Example: if you wanted a .067 gas port using the tube, you'd probably receive a .069 ported gas tube. I used the EZ Tune gas tube as well, and am quite pleased with it. Clint has his stuff figured out.

Circle_10
03-30-20, 01:17
Keep in mind that the adjusted gas tube hole is not a direct translation to desired gas port size. Example: if you wanted a .067 gas port using the tube, you'd probably receive a .069 ported gas tube. I used the EZ Tune gas tube as well, and am quite pleased with it. Clint has his stuff figured out.

Yep they mention that on the site so hopefully anybody who wants to pick a specific size on their own keeps that in mind. Me I figured I’d just let them select the size for me because in his posts on here Clint seems to have a pretty good handle on which port sizes are appropriate for what.

opngrnd
03-30-20, 10:09
Just ordered a 12.5 Criterion Core barrel. I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

alx01
03-30-20, 13:15
Just ordered a 12.5 Criterion Core barrel. I'll let you guys know how it shoots.

Great choice. Please do let us know.

Biggy
03-30-20, 16:54

Does it matter to you if it has a .223 Wylde chamber or a true 5.56 NATO Mil-Spec chamber ? It seems to matter to some people.

opngrnd
03-30-20, 17:34
Given that they designed it specifically for the applications we are all looking to use it for, I'd be very surprised with any issues.

Jmacken37
03-31-20, 16:17
Hard to beat the Spikes Tactical CHF BBL...

xanderzuk
04-01-20, 01:24
Does it matter to you if it has a .223 Wylde chamber or a true 5.
56 NATO Mil-Spec chamber ? It seems to matter to some people.

Admittedly, I don’t know the difference. Would you share that with me as well as your thoughts and suggestion?

NYH1
04-01-20, 01:31
I have a 11.5" Sonics lightweight barrel. Couldn't be happier with it.

NYH1.

04-01-20, 06:28
Hard to beat the Spikes Tactical CHF BBL...

I looked for reviews on that barrel a while back and only found negative ones.

BA Hanson 11.3” has been working well for me both suppressed and not. I use the can with it like 90%.

Edit: since we’re also talking about 12.5” barrels, I’ll point out that I am equally happy with my BA Hanson 12.3”. I shoot it mostly without a suppressor, and its one of very few SBRs I’ve actually enjoyed shooting without a can. Its super handy, and the barrel profile makes it feel lighter than 12.5” Gov barrels. 11.3” also feels lighter than it is.

Does it matter to you if it has a .223 Wylde chamber or a true 5.56 NATO Mil-Spec chamber ? It seems to matter to some people. Personally, it only bothers me if the chamber does not match what is stamped on the barrel. I don’t understand why “manufacturers” do that.

Admittedly, I don’t know the difference. Would you share that with me as well as your thoughts and suggestion?

.223 Wylde exists because 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem chambers are nominally different. A true-to-spec .223 Rem chamber will produce higher pressures than a true-to-spec 5.56 chamber, with the same ammo. Given that 5.56 max loads produce more pressure than .223 allows already, this can be a problem. A 5.56 chamber can be used with either 5.56 or .223 ammo.

.223 Wylde is meant to combine attributes of the two in order to be more accurate than a 5.56 chamber, and to produce less pressure than a .223 Rem chamber. It is supposed to be safe to use with 5.56 ammo, unlike a .223 Rem chamber, which should be only used with .223 ammo. Noveske 5.56 Match chamber is similar to Wylde, both dimensionally and in intent. I’ve put piles of military 5.56 through these chambers and not died.

There are three things that blur everything I wrote above:

1) many barrel makers play fast and loose with matching chambers to listed specs

2) ammo makers do the same. Much ammo labeled 5.56 is in .223 territory, and some .223 ammo is close to 5.56 territory. There’s quite a bit of overlap, and much of what exists on the commercial market is .223 regardless of labeling.

3) Wylde is only more accurate than 5.56 in theory. There are plenty of guns chambered in 5.56 that are more accurate than their users, and approach the practical limit of lightweight semiautos.

Lucky Gunner has an article from a test they conducted that makes the case that it doesn’t matter. If you don’t shoot a lot of .mil ammo or max pressure stuff, it probably doesn’t. Your milage (and bolt life) may vary.

opngrnd
04-01-20, 06:30

NYH1.

I'm very happy with my Sionics 11.5", but it is not a LW barrel.

Furbyballer
04-01-20, 07:32

Let us know your impressions. They are very high at the top of my list for new barrels for any new builds I do. The price is right, the pedigree is righ, and so far the accuracy is on par with criterion's quality reputation. I got a 12.5 as well and its going head to head in a t&e against centurion arms 12.5 mid barrel I just got, and my 12.5 hodge.

opngrnd
04-01-20, 08:03
Let us know your impressions. They are very high at the top of my list for new barrels for any new builds I do. The price is right, the pedigree is righ, and so far the accuracy is on par with criterion's quality reputation. I got a 12.5 as well and its going head to head in a t&e against centurion arms 12.5 mid barrel I just got, and my 12.5 hodge.

I specifically like that you can get a matching bolt with it. Since service type matches are canceled for a good while, it's time for me to run rigs a bit more optimized. (I have looked at CA barrels several times, and it's always been a very minor reason that I have not ended up with one.)

Clint
04-01-20, 14:58
We are working on lighter weight 11.5 and 12.5 barrels.

The 11.5 are ~20.5 oz, while the 12.5 are ~21.9 oz.

I know a guy with the Ballistic Advantage .625 11.3 barrel. It seems properly gassed and it shoots well. BRT may or may not be releasing a lighter 11.5" barrel with their polygonal rifling, which would be worth the wait, IMHO. Beyond that, I generally stick to Sionics since they gas their barrels approximately, but they are not LW.

opngrnd
04-01-20, 15:27

That's good to hear.

04-01-20, 15:59

Do go on, sir.

titsonritz
04-01-20, 16:31

NYH1.

I thought SIONICS only did a medium contour on 11.5" barrels??

opngrnd
04-01-20, 16:53
Please ignore...

Peadog
04-01-20, 18:09
I thought SIONICS only did a medium contour on 11.5" barrels??

They used to sell a light weight. I have one and I love it!

titsonritz
04-01-20, 19:00

I wish they still did, I'd buy one. I have a couple of their LW 16" barrels and dig them.

So not within the context of the OP

Jonnyt16
04-01-20, 21:55
Please let us know. When did you order it and have you received a tracking number yet? Just wondering if they are still fully operational (due to Corona) because I've sent them a few emails over the last week or two and haven't received a response. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 13.9" CORE barrel.

opngrnd
04-01-20, 21:59
Please let us know. When did you order it and have you received a tracking number yet? Just wondering if they are still fully operational (due to Corona) because I've sent them a few emails over the last week or two and haven't received a response. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a 13.9" CORE barrel.

Ordered Monday morning, had a shipping label that day. Was slated to be delivered today, UPS will get it here tomorrow. I actually called and spoke to Mike at Criterion barrels about a few things prior to ordering. After discussing several different barrels I was curious about from shorty to Rem700 prefit, we discussed the metrics of the Core barrels and HBAR barrels in depth. We went pretty far into the weeds on a few things, and since they were out of 11.5", I decided to try the 12.5" Core barrel.

Jonnyt16
04-01-20, 22:01
Ordered Monday, had a shipping label that day. Was slated to be delivered today, UPS will get it jere tomorrow...
Good to know, thanks!

Circle_10
04-02-20, 01:23
I looked for reviews on that barrel a while back and only found negative ones.

I have that barrel and haven’t seen much in the way of reviews for it, what were the negative reviews you saw reporting? I’m just curious what other peoples’ experience has been.

As I mentioned above mine was like retard-level overgassed. Accuracy has been fine for an iron-sighted Retro clone SBR that so far has been fed nothing but XM193 and Wolf Gold.

04-02-20, 03:25
I have that barrel and haven’t seen much in the way of reviews for it, what were the negative reviews you saw reporting? I’m just curious what other peoples’ experience has been.

As I mentioned above mine was like retard-level overgassed. Accuracy has been fine for an iron-sighted Retro clone SBR that so far has been fed nothing but XM193 and Wolf Gold.

I apologize, but I can’t remember the specifics. I just remember that I had trouble finding anything on them via google and what little there was was unflattering. I think there was a guy that said he went through a few of them and none had acceptable accuracy. Or I could be wrong. There was nothing on this site about them.

Circle_10
04-02-20, 04:18
I apologize, but I can’t remember the specifics. I just remember that I had trouble finding anything on them via google and what little there was was unflattering. I think there was a guy that said he went through a few of them and none had acceptable accuracy. Or I could be wrong. There was nothing on this site about them.

No problem, just curious. I didn’t really want to buy it but there weren’t many options for 733-appropriate barrels at the time. While the build was in the planning stage the idea all along was to use a BCM 11.5 pencil barrel, then the day came to buy it and BCM had apparently discontinued them at some point while I was playing the “I’ll buy it later” game, heh.

Circle_10
04-02-20, 05:19
Actually here’s something from Arf I just found....

“Originally Posted By firepyro515:
Your mileage may vary , but here is my experience with the Spikes/FN 11.5

We ordered a bunch for the shop back in 2011. They looked nice and we didn't notice any issue with them when installing. Shooting was a completely different story. When we took them out to zero, we ran out of windage. We pinned the rear sight all the way to the right and the gun was still shooting left at 25 yards. We thought it was a fluke and tried a different barrel. All 5 barrels we ordered had the same issue.

Fast forward to the end of 2014. I was looking for a new barrel for my SBR. I thought that maybe the last batch of Spikes/FN barrels were bad, so I decided to try them again. I picked up one from a distributor and installed it on my upper and took it out to the range. This time, I ended up pinning the rear sight all the way to the left and I was still hitting right at 25 yards. I ended up tossing the barrel and going with a Daniel Defense 11.5" barrel (1.28lbs)

I have used a 14.5" Spikes/FN barrel for over 4 years now and I haven't had any issues with it. But the Spikes/FN 11.5 barrels have been giving me problems.”

The reason why I post it is because one issue I had is that when zeroing my SBR with the Spikes 11.5 is that I had to make a bunch of clicks to the right to get it dialed in at 50yds, which put the aperture noticeably offset to the right (not quite all the way, but getting there). This happened with two different C7 style upper receivers from two different manufacturers (I had to change upper receivers because of a feed problem......which, is a long story but now that I’m remembering it, even though I changed uppers the barrel was the likely issue, switching uppers was just the easiest way to fix the problem) So anyway, I have OCD (literally) this offset rear sight annoyed me but my inclination was to suspect the guy who had pinned my FSB had canted it ever so slightly, it didn’t really occur to me that the issue could have been with the barrel itself. I got mine years after this guy’s experiences though.
So if the account from Arfcom is accurate, what causes this? The bore being asymmetric in the barrel?

04-02-20, 07:15
Yes, thats one that I have seen. Now that I re-read it, he’s using iron sights, as well. Maybe FSB problems, like you said. Do you have a flat-top? Maybe you can snag a QD optic off another rifle and see how far off it is. I’m usually somewhat close at 25 if I swap an optic between rifles. It sounds like with one of these you might not be on paper.

26 Inf
04-02-20, 09:08

Andy

I've been satisfied with all my GMB's. Here is a link to a photo of the profile:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-biq04i/9s3jnna5/products/524/images/845/GM-M64_profile_rev_w__74037.1546953726.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

At 168.00 it's not the cheapest, but not really pricey. You could call GMB for a weight.

Circle_10
04-02-20, 09:17
Yes, thats one that I have seen. Now that I re-read it, he’s using iron sights, as well. Maybe FSB problems, like you said. Do you have a flat-top? Maybe you can snag a QD optic off another rifle and see how far off it is. I’m usually somewhat close at 25 if I swap an optic between rifles. It sounds like with one of these you might not be on paper.

My SBR is a Retro gun, with a fixed carry handle so unless I get a mount to put on top of the handle I probably won’t be checking it with an optic. Luckily in my case, while it required a lot of windage adjustment I didn’t actually run out of it and I did get it zeroed and it hits properly at 50-100 yards. And thanks to the BRT gas tube it isn’t throwing brass at like 12:30-1 o’clock anymore either.
Spikes sells them with the FSBs already installed as an option but I got it as a stripped barrel because I specifically needed a “Non F” FSB pinned in order to be proper for a fixed carry handle upper receiver. So I bought the barrel and had someone else pin the FSB after the fact. Although I guess it is possible he pinned it slightly canted and all of this is just a coincidence.

Clint
04-02-20, 20:12
edit....

Jmacken37
04-06-20, 15:49

I've got a couple of these Spikes/FN 11.5 bbls and haven't had any problems. Of course I rarely shoot with irons anymore...

Ironman8
04-06-20, 22:31

Interested in both your input on the Criterion Core especially since you run Centurions as well. I’ve tested my 12.5” Centurion with several different 75-77gr match ammo types and it seems pretty consistent around 1.3 MOA at 100yds. I thought a lot of guys were claiming MOA, so not sure if I’m an outlier or what. What’s your experience?

My 12.5 is set up as a do all “Mini-Recce” with an NX8 and seems to be gassed and balances pretty well with my EA VOX-S attached. The NX8 isn’t exactly a precision optic so that may contribute to group size but I’ve also shot with a PST2 (finer reticle) and didn’t do any better.

Also where are you seeing Hodge barrels in plentiful supply?? And what does your Hodge 12.5” weigh?

themonk
04-07-20, 05:30
Interested in both your input on the Criterion Core especially since you run Centurions as well. I’ve tested my 12.5” Centurion with several different 75-77gr match ammo types and it seems pretty consistent around 1.3 MOA at 100yds. I thought a lot of guys were claiming MOA, so not sure if I’m an outlier or what. What’s your experience?

My 12.5 is set up as a do all “Mini-Recce” with an NX8 and seems to be gassed and balances pretty well with my EA VOX-S attached. The NX8 isn’t exactly a precision optic so that may contribute to group size but I’ve also shot with a PST2 (finer reticle) and didn’t do any better.

Also where are you seeing Hodge barrels in plentiful supply?? And what does your Hodge 12.5” weigh?

The 12.5" weight 1lb 8oz

Availability is certainly more than ever but they just sold out at Forward Control Design and OPDSource. I wonder if some purchased them with their Fed check.

https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/hodge-12-5-barrel.html

https://www.optactical.com/hode5nabar.html

opngrnd
04-07-20, 07:25
Put 20 rounds through the 12.5" Criterion last night. SBA4/A5 system,Vltor MUR, 11" Larue Quad rail, FCD 6315, very much balanced to the rear. Soft shooting with Norma 55gr FMJ, 3:00 ejection. The Larue quad rail gets replaced with the MLOK version tomorrow which will further shift balance to the rear. I believe it's a 5oz difference on paper. I started by shooting one round, wet patches followed by dry patches. By round 5 it was three wet followed by one dry. I did this for 15 rounds, then shot 5 rounds and was out of time. Impulse seems flat and soft. I'll post again after another 200 rounds.

Furbyballer
04-07-20, 08:17

My centurion 12.5 will hold sub moa 10 round groups. I think I have several groups posted here on the site in some of the older 12.5 barrel threads if you search around. I just finished building out the 12.5 mid from centurion and once I get the ability to, I'll start burning both the criterion and centurion barrels down. I have several training events coming up with high round counts and high accountability so I should be able to give you all some decent feedback. Assuming all this bullshit starts to end around June.

The way you run your 12.5 is exactly how I use them. My system is 11.5in and shorter gets RDS and Magnifiers, 12.5s get 1-x with offset rds for NV for do it all carbines, 14.5-16in are my dmr guns with 3-18s, and then the larger caliber stuff varies depending on use and purpose.

I know Roy still had some in stock over at weapon outfitters for hodge barrels and I think Jim has at least 6 different places stocking his stuff now.

Wake27
04-07-20, 09:04
I was super tempted by the 12.5 Hodge at FCD and have been eyeing the Centurion sight to see when they’d get more of their 12.5 mids back in but the bigger capability gap I was missing was a short Gun so I have a MK18 upper that should be getting here tomorrow. At some point I’ll have a 12.5, but my 14.5s are well covered so it doesn’t feel like much of a need right now.

Furbyballer
04-07-20, 15:36
I was super tempted by the 12.5 Hodge at FCD and have been eyeing the Centurion sight to see when they’d get more of their 12.5 mids back in but the bigger capability gap I was missing was a short Gun so I have a MK18 upper that should be getting here tomorrow. At some point I’ll have a 12.5, but my 14.5s are well covered so it doesn’t feel like much of a need right now.

If you end up trying a 12.5 I bet you it will become your favorite do it all carbine. BTW, Corrie and Monty took the 12.5 mid off the site. You just need to email them and they will sell it to you in 5 mins and ship it out next day. They took it off the site because a bunch of retards were ordering these barrels and then complaining that wolf wouldn't run through the barrel unsuppressed. If you shoot 556 or suppressed, its an awesome awesome barrel.

Wake27
04-07-20, 16:19
If you end up trying a 12.5 I bet you it will become your favorite do it all carbine. BTW, Corrie and Monty took the 12.5 mid off the site. You just need to email them and they will sell it to you in 5 mins and ship it out next day. They took it off the site because a bunch of retards were ordering these barrels and then complaining that wolf wouldn't run through the barrel unsuppressed. If you shoot 556 or suppressed, its an awesome awesome barrel.

Son of a bitch. I was wondering if maybe they just dropped it entirely but that’s tempting. I just wish they’d make the new C4 MLOK in 11.5 because I wouldn’t want that one with a FSP.

jstalford
04-07-20, 20:05
I emailed them about a two weeks ago and they said oos and expecting more in 6-8 weeks (give or take based on the circumstances).

I was going to get a hodge in lieu but if they’ve opened the port I’ll go centurion.

Ironman8
04-07-20, 20:30
The 12.5" weight 1lb 8oz

Availability is certainly more than ever but they just sold out at Forward Control Design and OPDSource. I wonder if some purchased them with their Fed check.

https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/hodge-12-5-barrel.html

https://www.optactical.com/hode5nabar.html

Thanks monk!

themonk
04-07-20, 20:37
Finally did a write up on my Hodge 12.5” over in the Custom Build forum if your interested.

Ironman8
04-07-20, 20:39
My centurion 12.5 will hold sub moa 10 round groups. I think I have several groups posted here on the site in some of the older 12.5 barrel threads if you search around. I just finished building out the 12.5 mid from centurion and once I get the ability to, I'll start burning both the criterion and centurion barrels down. I have several training events coming up with high round counts and high accountability so I should be able to give you all some decent feedback. Assuming all this bullshit starts to end around June.

The way you run your 12.5 is exactly how I use them. My system is 11.5in and shorter gets RDS and Magnifiers, 12.5s get 1-x with offset rds for NV for do it all carbines, 14.5-16in are my dmr guns with 3-18s, and then the larger caliber stuff varies depending on use and purpose.

I know Roy still had some in stock over at weapon outfitters for hodge barrels and I think Jim has at least 6 different places stocking his stuff now.

Damn that’s a bit of a bummer to hear. I haven’t contacted them yet but I wasn’t sure if they would be willing or able to do anything about it. I need to load up some of the MarkM special that I was able to get 3/4” groups from in a 16” SS Noveske and see how that does. But for factory ammo I expected better than that.

NYH1
04-07-20, 21:57

I wish they did, I'd buy one. I have a couple of their LW 16" barrels and dig them.

So not within the context of the OP
I didn't realize they stopped making them.

NYH1.

Jonnyt16
04-07-20, 22:55
Put 20 rounds through the 12.5" Criterion last night. SBA4/A5 system,Vltor MUR, 11" Larue Quad rail, FCD 6315, very much balanced to the rear. Soft shooting with Norma 55gr FMJ, 3:00 ejection. The Larue quad rail gets replaced with the MLOK version tomorrow which will further shift balance to the rear. I believe it's a 5oz difference on paper. I started by shooting one round, wet patches followed by dry patches. By round 5 it was three wet followed by one dry. I did this for 15 rounds, then shot 5 rounds and was out of time. Impulse seems flat and soft. I'll post again after another 200 rounds.
Good stuff thanks for the update. Did you shoot for groups? I ordered my Criterion CORE yesterday along with a BCM BCG. Originally was gonna do the 13.9" but ended up going with 14.5". Mine is going on a Vltor MUR as well.

Biggy
04-08-20, 00:00
FYI, on my *calibrated* digital scale, a stripped 12.5" inch Hodge Defense barrel barrel weighs exactly 21.5 ounces, and a stripped Criterion Core 12.5" inch barrel weighs exactly 22.8 ounces.

Wake27
04-08-20, 00:15
Any of you guys with these Gucci 12.5s have a Mod 2 11.5 upper to compare it against? Obviously it’d depend on the barrel of the 12.5, but I’m curious how they’d compare in terms of accuracy, velocity, and perceived recoil.

jethroUSMC
04-09-20, 16:59
$425 for a Hodge Barrel... Naw I'll pass. That's nearly the cost of 2 Colt barrels.

themonk
04-09-20, 17:04
$425 for a Hodge Barrel... Naw I'll pass.

Good to know

titsonritz
04-09-20, 22:21
Interested in both your input on the Criterion Core especially since you run Centurions as well.

So would I, I'm in the market for a 12.5" and I'm pretty sure that is route I'll take.

Biggy
04-09-20, 22:37
Here is a Pic of both the Hodge and Criterion Core 12.5" barrels, to show the profile difference. This Hodge barrel actually measures exactly 12.625" inches long from bolt face to the end. The Hodge barrel weighs exactly 21.5 ounces and the Criterion Core weighs exactly 22.8 ounces. Waiting on the BCM MK2 stripped uppers to come back in stock to give these barrels a home. Like others have said, if I could have just one AR, yes it would be a 12.5" barrel (carbine gas).

https://i.imgur.com/HLfL3Dkl.jpg

titsonritz
04-10-20, 00:49
Here is a Pic of both the Hodge and Criterion Core 12.5" barrels, to show the profile difference. This Hodge barrel actually measures exactly 12.625" inches long from bolt face to the end. The Hodge barrel weighs exactly 21.5 ounces and the Criterion Core weighs exactly 22.8 ounces. Waiting on the BCM MK2 stripped uppers to come back in stock to give these barrels a home. Like others have said, if I could have just one AR, yes it would be a 12.5" barrel (carbine gas).

Thanks for posting the comparison shot. The profile on the Criterion Core is what has me wanting it.

MistWolf
04-10-20, 07:12
Barrel on the left has the better profile. I assume it's the Hodge?

themonk
04-10-20, 07:29
Barrel on the left has the better profile. I assume it's the Hodge?

No the right is the Hodge. I read somewhere why he choose not to go with full ELW profile but can't remember. I will see if I can find it.

Very interested in the accuracy from the Criterion.

Biggy
04-10-20, 07:35
The barrel on the left is the Criterion barrel.

cl2
04-10-20, 08:03
Has anyone been able to measure the gas port size of the Criterion 12.5?

opngrnd
04-10-20, 08:09
Good stuff thanks for the update. Did you shoot for groups? I ordered my Criterion CORE yesterday along with a BCM BCG. Originally was gonna do the 13.9" but ended up going with 14.5". Mine is going on a Vltor MUR as well.

I did not. I was looking almost right into the sun and it was hard to see the bull. It's wearing an Aimpoint, so my hope is 2MOA with quality ammo.

PatrioticDisorder
04-10-20, 08:32
Anyone running the Triac 12.5 mid length?

CoGT3
04-10-20, 11:26

Very interesting about the weights. I am having Citizen Arms build be an upper around a 12.5" CORE barrel. Jumped in line this January before the details where completely available on the CORE barrels but we decided it should be a good option based his discussions with Criterion. When I saw the first pics I thought it was going to end up weighing more than what you are seeing. I guess it really tapers in the last 1/2. Also in line to do another upper with a 13.9" CORE barrel pinned. I had asked one of teh Criterion guys on IG if they would eventually do 18 and 20" barrels in the their SS/Nitride combo and they suspect so eventually. But he also said he had a 18" test barrel that was getting 1/4" MOA groups with developed hand loads. Pretty amazing for chrome lined chromoly barrel. Must be something to barrel harmonics they mentioned with the taper profile.

Biggy
04-10-20, 11:51
IMHO, a properly done Melonite QPQ barrel is just fine and it's longevity rivals a chrome lined barrel, if used in semi-auto guns and not doing a bunch of mag dumps. That being said, I think most people still prefer a *good* chrome lined barrel. Currently, DD, FN, Centurion Arms and Criterion's chrome lined barrels seem to have developed a reputation for accuracy a cut above the rest. At some point we will also see Geissele doing their own CHF barrels.

js8588
04-10-20, 17:55
I'm in the middle of my first pistol build. Really wanted a 12.5 carbine gassed barrel, but had just about settled on the Spikes 11.5...now you guys have me really looking at the Criterion.

CoGT3
04-10-20, 18:31
If you don’t mind digging through Instagram comments look back at Criterion’s post for the last 2 months and read the comments. Lots of good info on the development and specific addressed the carbine vs mid gas length for 12.5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Blackhalo
04-10-20, 19:37
I'm in the middle of my first pistol build. Really wanted a 12.5 carbine gassed barrel, but had just about settled on the Spikes 11.5...now you guys have me really looking at the Criterion.

Depends what you want.

I prefer CHF in my shorty SBR's that are shot suppressed 90% of the time. Will it matter? Probably not. I'm more then happy with my CHF Spikes/FN 11.5" with a BRT insert 0.067

That being said, I just ordered a Criterion Core 16" for more of spr'ish type gun where I'll actually run match ammo through it.

2ndamendmentguy
04-10-20, 20:22
While I don’t think you can really go wrong with any of the above recommendations, I have to second 1168’s recommendation of the BA 12.3 Hanson. I’ve built 2 so far, and they shoot great - just over moa with m193. Pretty good bang for your buck with the pinned gas block as well.

js8588
04-11-20, 20:43
Depends what you want.

I prefer CHF in my shorty SBR's that are shot suppressed 90% of the time. Will it matter? Probably not. I'm more then happy with my CHF Spikes/FN 11.5" with a BRT insert 0.067

That being said, I just ordered a Criterion Core 16" for more of spr'ish type gun where I'll actually run match ammo through it.

Ended up buying a 12 inch 6.5 Grendel barrel
http://www.sixfivearms.com/product/monster-12/
(Same as the 6.5 Grendel forum group buy). Green Mountain makes them. Couldn't pass up the price at less than $150 shipped.

This Quarantine is getting expensive.

Blackhalo
04-11-20, 22:50
Ended up buying a 12 inch 6.5 Grendel barrel
http://www.sixfivearms.com/product/monster-12/
(Same as the 6.5 Grendel forum group buy). Green Mountain makes them. Couldn't pass up the price at less than $150 shipped.

This Quarantine is getting expensive.

Nice. 6.5 G SBR is on my list as well...

And yeah, it's getting spendy for me as well.

Rogue556
04-12-20, 14:31
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone verified the port size on the 12.5" Criterion Core barrels?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

opngrnd
04-12-20, 16:22
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone verified the port size on the 12.5" Criterion Core barrels?

What are you hoping to figure out? I didn't measure mine, but it's soft shooting and I don't think it will be overgassed suppressed. I'm thinking of throwing a Warcomp on the end instead of the 6315 it wears now just so I can try it suppressed.

Furbyballer
04-12-20, 18:15

They told me .064

Leonidas24
04-12-20, 19:58
They told me .064

That's spectacular. Criterion knows what's up.

Rogue556
04-13-20, 03:50
What are you hoping to figure out? I didn't measure mine, but it's soft shooting and I don't think it will be overgassed suppressed. I'm thinking of throwing a Warcomp on the end instead of the 6315 it wears now just so I can try it suppressed.Good to know. Running mixed suppressed/unsuppressed with 5.56 is my main concern. Running my RC2 with a Warcomp is my plan as well.
They told me .064That's awesome. I'm glad to hear they're doing it right. Seems they've found a way to separate me from my money.

Thank you for the info.

hotrodder636
04-26-20, 13:01
Any updates on your Criterion Core since your first 200 rounds? Accuracy checks? I am very interested in this barrel for a 12.5” build. Right now I am looking at the Core, Centurion, or Hodge. Initially thinking about a Noveske but I don’t want SS.

What are you hoping to figure out? I didn't measure mine, but it's soft shooting and I don't think it will be overgassed suppressed. I'm thinking of throwing a Warcomp on the end instead of the 6315 it wears now just so I can try it suppressed.

opngrnd
04-26-20, 15:12
Any updates on your Criterion Core since your first 200 rounds? Accuracy checks? I am very interested in this barrel for a 12.5” build. Right now I am looking at the Core, Centurion, or Hodge. Initially thinking about a Noveske but I don’t want SS.

I'm afraid not. I've been tasked out with some stuff that has turned everything into a 7 day work week. I'm hoping to return to normal soon.

docsherm
04-27-20, 09:39

Noveske also makes a CHF 12.5. That is what I have: https://noveske.com/products/chf-chrome-lined-lo-pro-5-56

docsherm
04-27-20, 09:39

Noveske also makes a CHF 12.5. That is what I have: https://noveske.com/products/chf-chrome-lined-lo-pro-5-56

justin_247
04-27-20, 12:30
The Criterion barrels have my interest, but I'm a little concerned about the QC on some of them. There are few reviews on YouTube, but it seems like a lot of them have "flyers" with most of their groups. The reviewers always say, "That's me, not the gun." But when I see the same pattern across numerous reviews, it makes me wonder.

Other folks on this forum have reported issues with BCM's SS410 barrels, which are also manufactured by Criterion.

This doesn't seem to be universal, so it suggests to me a possible QC issue more than anything else.

Also, Criterion seems to be obsessed with lapping receivers, but this is pointless to me unless you also lap the barrel extensions where they seat and check headspace and firing pin protrusion.

themonk
04-27-20, 12:51
Also, Criterion seems to be obsessed with lapping receivers, but this is pointless to me unless you also lap the barrel extensions where they seat and check headspace and firing pin protrusion.

Why would you lap the barrel extension? Its a machined part.

justin_247
04-27-20, 13:37
Why would you lap the barrel extension? Its a machined part.

As is the upper receiver.

themonk
04-27-20, 14:09
As is the upper receiver.

The reason you lap the upper receiver is due to the variations from anodizing.

justin_247
04-27-20, 14:20
The reason you lap the upper receiver is due to the variations from anodizing.

The barrel extension is heat treated, and heat treatment also creates minor variations.

Also, you're assuming that the machining and tolerances on all barrel extensions are identical.

CoGT3
04-27-20, 21:23
Should have it in my hands in 2 days. Steve commented that it broke in quickly, accuracy speaks so itself. Running about 15% lighter than same length Criterion barrels in other profiles.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200428/f05c79cfef2db0c94e5a9b5281e59c1d.jpg

Triarc upper/rail, CORE 12.5 barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JediGuy
04-27-20, 21:34
Wolf Gold at .77 MOA? Nice

Wake27
04-27-20, 21:36
Should have it in my hands in 2 days. Steve commented that it broke in quickly, accuracy speaks so itself. Running about 15% lighter than same length Criterion barrels in other profiles.

Saw this on FB I think. Do you plan on shooting anything heavier?

Jonnyt16
04-27-20, 22:00

Very impressive.

CoGT3
04-27-20, 22:17

Have a lot of 62-64gr HD ammo on hand which is why he tested with light/mid loads. Also having him build up another matching upper with a 13.9” CORE barrel (pistol/rifle combo with Law folders). When I have both I’ll try a little of everything and try to find the happy balance of accuracy, ready availability of HD ammo, and practice ammo to match. Already have some 70gr Barnes, 75gr GD, and multiple 77gr waiting.

opngrnd
04-27-20, 22:26

What FB is this?

Wake27
04-27-20, 22:49
What FB is this?

I think it was in the Forward Controls Design Group.

CoGT3
04-27-20, 22:52
I think it was in the Forward Controls Design Group.

It was, similar topic about the criterion 12.5 barrels.

themonk
04-28-20, 06:18
Have a lot of 62-64gr HD ammo on hand which is why he tested with light/mid loads. Also having him build up another matching upper with a 13.9” CORE barrel (pistol/rifle combo with Law folders). When I have both I’ll try a little of everything and try to find the happy balance of accuracy, ready availability of HD ammo, and practice ammo to match. Already have some 70gr Barnes, 75gr GD, and multiple 77gr waiting.

I am interested how it shoots with heavier loads.

Blackhalo
04-28-20, 10:13
Interesting groups. Don't know that I'll expect sub moa with Wolf Gold, but impressive.

Waiting on my mount for my new Razor 1-10. I assembled a upper with a 16" CORE just for the optic. Hopefully I can get some groups shot in the next couple of weeks.

justin_247
04-28-20, 11:51
EDITED: It appears that Criterion is not publishing accurate barrel weight specs on their website, so the comparisons I was making were incorrect.

js8588
04-28-20, 13:54
EDITED: It appears that Criterion is not publishing accurate barrel weight specs on their website, so the comparisons I was making were incorrect.

So what are the correct weight specs? Also the .064 gas port has me thinking it's likely not the correct choice for me. Usually I'll be running M855 in this build (sub moa accuracy is not a concern) but I like my ARs to be able to cycle & lock back using anything should the occasion ever arise where ammo on hand isn't a matter of choice. I do not own a suppressor & have no plans to.

Biggy
04-28-20, 13:58
My Hodge 12.5" inch barrels weigh exactly 21.5 ounces and my Criterion Core 12.5" barrel weighs exactly 22.8 ounces. Criterion had the 12.5 Core barrel's weight listed as 1.45 lbs or 23.2 oz's on their website. A .4 ounce difference from my accurate calibrated scale. I'm waiting on the redesigned BCM MK2 stripped uppers to come out to give these barrels a home. Bravo Co told me it would be later this year on the MK2 uppers, and that been a couple of months ago. I haven't pin gauged the gas port on my 12.5 Core barrel yet, but using what I had laying around, I am guessing it is between .066"-.067" ID

https://i.imgur.com/rtPRbvCl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eb5co7nl.jpg

opngrnd
04-28-20, 14:00
So what are the correct weight specs? Also the .064 gas port has me thinking it's likely not the correct choice for me. Usually I'll be running M855 in this build (sub moa accuracy is not a concern) but I like my ARs to be able to cycle & lock back using anything should the occasion ever arise where ammo on hand isn't a matter of choice. I do not own a suppressor & have no plans to.

Are you talking 11.5" or 12.5"? My 12.5" Core isn't having issues with mid pressure 223 ammo. I can function test with PMC Bronze if you'd like.

justin_247
04-28-20, 14:11
So what are the correct weight specs?

Biggy posted them below. I'm just going to bow out of this discussion since we're no longer talking about lightweight barrels here.

The 12.5" Criterion CORE appears to be about the same weight as 12.5" government profile barrels (right in-between the weight of DD's and BCM's 12.5" barrels), heavier than BCM's 14.5" ELW barrel, and the same weight as Criterion's 16" pencil barrel. But I have to rely on the weights posted here and compare them with the weights posted on their website and others, so...

js8588
04-28-20, 14:24
Are you talking 11.5" or 12.5"? My 12.5" Core isn't having issues with mid pressure 223 ammo. I can function test with PMC Bronze if you'd like.

I was originally going to go with an 11.5 because I couldn't find a 12.5 chrome lined below ~$400 (Noveske or Hodge). The Criterion is interesting. No need to do an ammo test on my account, though I'm sure the rest of the internet wouldn't mind having the results.

You may have specified further up thread, but what buffer/carrier setup are you running with it?

opngrnd
04-28-20, 14:50
I was originally going to go with an 11.5 because I couldn't find a 12.5 chrome lined below ~$400 (Noveske or Hodge). The Criterion is interesting. No need to do an ammo test on my account, though I'm sure the rest of the internet wouldn't mind having the results.

You may have specified further up thread, but what buffer/carrier setup are you running with it?

Vltor A5H2/Green Sprinco, standard BCG. I'll test it out when I have a chance.

CoGT3
04-28-20, 16:31
I am interested how it shoots with heavier loads.

If work behaves, will hit the range Thursday. Don’t expect any super small groups, will be mounting a T2 on a Unity FAST mount to start. Will shoot some 10 rounds groups at 50 with BHA 50 TSX, Gold Dot 64 and 75gr, Federal LE223T3 62gr, BHA TMK, 77 SMK. Hopefully will have some pics to share soon.

hotrodder636
04-28-20, 18:36
Great, interested to see what your results are.

If work behaves, will hit the range Thursday. Don’t expect any super small groups, will be mounting a T2 on a Unity FAST mount to start. Will shoot some 10 rounds groups at 50 with BHA 50 TSX, Gold Dot 64 and 75gr, Federal LE223T3 62gr, BHA TMK, 77 SMK. Hopefully will have some pics to share soon.

rainman
04-28-20, 19:42
My Hodge 12.5" inch barrels weigh exactly 21.5 ounces and my Criterion Core 12.5" barrel weighs exactly 22.8 ounces. Criterion had the 12.5 Core barrel's weight listed as 1.45 lbs or 23.2 oz's on their website. A .4 ounce difference from my accurate calibrated scale. I'm waiting on the redesigned BCM MK2 stripped uppers to come out to give these barrels a home. Bravo Co told me it would be later this year on the MK2 uppers, and that been a couple of months ago. I haven't pin gauged the gas port on my 12.5 Core barrel yet, but using what I had laying around, I am guessing it is between .066"-.067" ID

Any insight as to what drove the MK2 redesign (issues, etc.) and what changes BCM might be making?

-Rainman

Biggy
04-28-20, 21:08
Any insight as to what drove the MK2 redesign (issues, etc.) and what changes BCM might be making?

-Rainman

The Gen 1 BCM MK2 upper receiver was not compatable with most handguards with ant-rotational tabs, due to it being thicker in the front compared to the standard mil-spec dimensioned AR upper receiver. The handguard’s anti-rotation tabs wouldn't fit over the upper receiver. IMHO, it was in BCM best interests to either make a new upper receiver mold, or if possibly modify the original one. so that the MK2 Gen 2 upper fits every hand guard out there that would fit on a standard dimensioned AR upper. I imagine the Gen 2 MK2 upper will be a very small percentage less rigid than the Gen 1 MK2 upper, because it will have less material in those areas, but certainly not enough to matter.
Below are some Pic of two handguards that I modified to work with the BCM MK2 upper. The handguard's anti-rotational tabs to upper fit on both are perfect and look factory.

https://i.imgur.com/IsZfRhcl.jpg

rainman
04-29-20, 03:06
The Gen 1 BCM MK2 upper receiver was not compatable with most handguards with ant-rotational tabs, due to it being thicker in the front compared to the standard dimension AR upper receiver. The handguards anti-rotation tabs wouldn't fit over the upper. IMHO, it was in BCM best interests to either make a new upper receiver mold, or if possibly modify the original one. so that the MK2 Gen 2 upper fits every hand guard out there that would fit on a standard dimensioned AR upper. I imagine the Gen 2 MK2 upper will be a very small percentage less rigid than the Gen 1 MK2 upper, because it will have less material in those areas, but certainly not enough to matter.
Below are some Pics of two handguards that I modified to work with the BCM MK2 upper. The handguard's anti-rotational tabs to upper fit on both is perfect and the mods looks factory.

https://i.imgur.com/IsZfRhcl.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I attempted a build with an early MK2 and found that the LaRue handguard would not fit. I completed the build with another upper and haven't tried the MK2 with any other handguards (Hmmm...haven't done a build in a while...need to do something about that!).

I read several reports in another M4C thread about 'handguard incompatibility' so would agree that if it applies to a significant number of handguards, then it would behoove BCM to redesign.

-Rainman

CoGT3
05-11-20, 21:59
Finally got a break in the weather and work on the same day. Ran flawlessly as expected. Zeroed in nicely and shoot some decent groups at 50 yards just using unmagnified T2 red dot on a tall boi mount. Groups were shot at the end after at least 50 others, all suppressed. CORE barrel seems to do as advertised, tolerates heat and shifts weights toward the breech. The 6 groups where shot one after another, suppressed, without a break and groups did not open. Shoots well with heavy rounds also. Didn’t notice any problems with flyers. They where shot on a 1 shot/sec cadence. The 12.5 pistol weighs the same as my 10.5 SBR despite 2 more inches of barrel and rail. Balance point is 1/2” closer to magwell than my 10.5 SBR with same can, front sight, light, switch, and grip stop despite being pushed out 2” longer.

CoGT3
05-11-20, 22:05

CoGT3
05-11-20, 22:11

CoGT3
05-11-20, 22:12

Jonnyt16
05-11-20, 22:41
Excellent, thanks for the report! Seems to really like 77gr.

CoGT3
05-11-20, 23:08
For quick groups with a red dot, I was very happy. Did seem to like the TMK and the 64 gr Gold Dot is my main HD load so no complaints there. Have some some to try and hopefully will have more time. Been keeping my eye out for an Aimpoint 3x magnifier at a good price to try also.

To me the balance is what is most surprising, for a 12.5 with full size can it feels very handy.

hotrodder636
05-11-20, 23:29
I think I am going to go ahead an grab one of these Core barrels. I will likely get a Centurion upper as well, because why not.

CoGT3
05-12-20, 09:41
The 12.5 upper and soon be built 13.9 where built for a specific purpose, pistol and rifle set up identically that with a law folder can drop in a backpack.

However I keep having the same thoughts as you, 14.5 core mid, front sight block, centurion C4 Mlok cutout rail. Don’t need it, but sure would be fun.

justin_247
05-12-20, 10:20

Thanks for this post. Definitely puts to rest some of the concerns that I had.

Can somebody try this barrel with 77 gr Federal? Lots of folks have been getting great results with that ammo recently.

CoGT3
05-12-20, 10:31
I have some 77 and 69 gr FGGM I will try didn’t have time yesterday. Will also try some slower fire 10 roundsgroups with TMK and GD 75 and 64Gr.

Jonnyt16
05-12-20, 11:54
My 14.5" Core barrel has been sitting here almost a month now. Just waiting for my handguards to arrive which are taking forever so I can put it all together. It's killing me!

opngrnd
05-12-20, 15:15
Here are some simple groups with a RDS and bulk 55gr Norma at 50 yards. I do feel I could have shot a little better, but am happy with it for bulk ammo.

Pictures won't load, but I shot 4 5-shot groups averaging 1.3" between the four groups. Groups printed consistently without stringing, or anything else. Two groups were 1.1x, two groups were 1.5x.

opngrnd
05-16-20, 10:57

I tested it with PMC Bronze since I was at the range. Locked back just fine on all five shots.

js8588
05-17-20, 09:30
I tested it with PMC Bronze since I was at the range. Locked back just fine on all five shots.

Thank you. I will be ordering one.