PDA

View Full Version : Training pistol for kids

KenpoCop822
03-29-20, 19:03
I have two young girls (7 and 11) they I'm looking to start pistol training with. What small firearm would you think would be good for this? Extra consideration if there is an airsoft version that I could start the youngest off with.

Thanks in advance for the input.

ndmiller
03-29-20, 19:46
I am thinking the same thing with my 14 & 11 year old and here is what I'm testing. The Glock 44. It's the same size as a 19 and the Airsoft 19 as well. So start on the Airsoft, move to the G44, finish with the G19. I bought the threaded barrel from glock for the 44 for about $100, so we can start off suppressed outside somewhere when we move from AS to G44.

MegademiC
03-29-20, 22:14
I would start with a 22 to train control and safety, but they may be ready to move up to 9mm quickly. Let them (assuming budget allows), dictate when they “graduate” to the next level.

Some people keep going back to 22, some want to move up. Depends on the kid.

SeriousStudent
03-29-20, 22:52
I've long used an old Gen2 G19 frame, with an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit slide. I bought the threaded barrel, so that I could add a rimfire can to it.

The young 'uns love it, and it teaches them with a reduced risk of hearing loss. Everyone always wears eye protection, of course. But if a set of earmuffs slips, it's not a life-altering experience.

Now that the glock 44 is out, and they have a threaded barrel for it, you might try it as others have mentioned. Be aware it has the LH metric threads, however. It does not have the finger grooves, which is nice for wee digits.

KenpoCop822
03-30-20, 18:33
Thanks everyone. I'm in California, so the can is a no-go. But I like the idea of a g44.

Jonnyt16
04-08-20, 22:21
Smith&Wesson Shield EZ .380 might be something to consider. The grip is pretty thin and recoil is very soft. The slide of course is ridiculously easy to manipulate as well. I recently bought one for the wife and thinking about letting the boys (age 6 and 8) try it. They are inexpensive too got mine for around $360.

04-09-20, 08:25
Smith&Wesson Shield EZ .380 might be something to consider. The grip is pretty thin and recoil is very soft. The slide of course is ridiculously easy to manipulate as well. I recently bought one for the wife and thinking about letting the boys (age 6 and 8) try it. They are inexpensive too got mine for around $360.

No kids, but training recoil-shy non-gun ladies, I’ve had good results with the above. I also have a M&P 22, a M&P bb gun, that are roughly the same form factors, and a M&P15-22. Honestly, all of these guns are crazy fun. I need to find a threaded barrel for the EZ 380.

everready73
04-10-20, 10:02
If you want to save some money and not deal with the issues of the G44 take a look at the Taurus TX22. Yes, it is Taurus but i bought one (only taurus i own) and really like it. About G19 sized with a little better grip angle IMO. Other good poly options are M&P compact and ruger sr22

These also have very good reviews online from MAC and some others. Mine has over 1k trouble free rounds now. Paid $250 locally and really impressed with it

Another good option would be a Ruger Mark IV Lite or one of the other variants. Browning Buckmark would be an option as well

I think starting with a low recoiling 22 is a good option. They can get the gun safety rules down, work on grip/trigger pull//sight alignment/stance and not have to worry about a lot of recoil and they are less noisy than larger calibers. Should help with reducing flinch and some other issues when starting out compared to a larger caliber

Also much cheaper to shoot. You can go out for a whole day and burn 1k rounds if you want and you are only out $50 or so

chef8489
04-10-20, 10:56
I know a few girls that started competition shooting and that started on somethign like a Ruger Mark IV

Caduceus
05-12-20, 19:58
Anyone have thoughts on starting with airsoft? I mean the cheap, Walmart kind. My daughter is 7, I'd like her to get trigger discipline and the 4 rules down before graduating to a .22

Squirt guns don't have enough 'real' feel to them, which is kind of what I've been using last summer when it was warmer.

HardToHandle
05-12-20, 20:32
Good suggestions so far, which I will encourage. A Glock 44 seems smart to me but I have never shot one.
I have a Browning Buckmark and a Zamak PPK in .22LR. Neither of those are guns I would recommend for starting out.

I am a huge airsoft for training fan. If you spend enough, you are getting a reliable facsimile of a real firearm - same manual of arms, some recoil, some report and accuracy enough for basement/backyard skills development. On top of that, airsoft guns have enough danger to reinforce the risk, on par with BB guns. They are similar to firearms but are just less negatives relative to starting out - less risk, less noise, less blast.

Please bear in mind that a decent Japanese or Taiwanese green gas pistol is $150-200. I started with some cheap ones but eventually discovered Tokyo Marui and KSC for force on force. Like most things in life, quality costs.

titsonritz
05-12-20, 21:35
Have the bugs been worked out of the G44 yet?

zombiescometh
05-13-20, 01:41
Glocks, M&Ps and Walthers all have similar designs across airsoft, pellet/bb, and 22lr options.

For higher end
https://www.airsoftgi.com/

Amazon has a good selection of pellet/bb and airsoft options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evel Baldgui
05-15-20, 09:17
My favorite was a Ruger MkII, now Mk IV, but then again if I was starting to teach kids to shoot now,it would most likely be a G44.

everready73
05-15-20, 09:19
Anyone have thoughts on starting with airsoft? I mean the cheap, Walmart kind. My daughter is 7, I'd like her to get trigger discipline and the 4 rules down before graduating to a .22

Squirt guns don't have enough 'real' feel to them, which is kind of what I've been using last summer when it was warmer.

I think airsoft for kids is a really good idea to get the rules down etc.. Never to early to start

I have a soon to be 4 year old. We have a bunch of nerf guns and always talk about gun safety when using just to drill it in. Airsoft will be next this year. I would like to get him on a 22 rifle at around 6 but that depends on how things go and maturity level. There are some 6 year olds that i would be completely comfortable taking out to shoot, but some 12 year olds i wouldn't.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-16-20, 12:17
I have M&P handgun variants in airsoft, 22, and 9 mm that I have used with my son. The airsoft is really his toy, and I’ve never really integrated into his training. He gets to play with it in the basement with the only real restriction being a eye pro. I understand the logic in integrating the airsoft into real gun training, but with young enough kids you need to supervise them like you do with a real handgun. I just let the airsoft become kind of the super Nerf gun, which we never really trained on all of the safety outside of not face shooting people.

I am a huge of 22s for training. I have them in bolt guns, AR platforms, and handguns. All of the 22s are set up similar to the centerfire options. I have a fair amount of steel, some specifically for 22. Great reactive steel like dueling towers and spinners. They facilitate speed and accuracy. So what we do is start with 22s during the day moves in centerfire practice measure with timers how we’re doing, move back to 22s learn some lessons and then go back to center fire. I have a fair amount of steel, some specifically for 22. Get reactive steel like dueling towers and spinners. They facilitate speed and accuracy with instant feedback. So what we do is start with 22s, during the day move to centerfire, practice and measure with timers how we’re doing, move back to 22s learn some lessons and then go back to centerfire.

05-23-20, 16:18
Elite Force airsoft Glocks feel really close to the real thing and are great for introducing and training new shooters. You can teach them all the basics of handling and safety at home, in a quiet environment, etc. The trigger is even pretty close to the real thing.

It really might be better for this purpose than the Glock 44, which is more expensive and carries all the same limitations of real firearms, even if it's only a .22.

05-23-20, 16:55
Elite Force airsoft Glocks feel really close to the real thing and are great for introducing and training new shooters. You can teach them all the basics of handling and safety at home, in a quiet environment, etc. The trigger is even pretty close to the real thing.

It really might be better for this purpose than the Glock 44, which is more expensive and carries all the same limitations of real firearms, even if it's only a .22.

Anybody else have one of these? Looking at their 19x GBB

Robisten8
05-23-20, 17:01
Evike.com is the go to site for anything airsoft. My 4 and 6 year old boys have airsoft pistols they use to learn the basics while shooting in the backyard. They also have Red Ryders they use to shoot at coke cans hanging in trees on our property.

ftbear
05-25-20, 23:42
I am a huge of 22s for training. I have them in bolt guns, AR platforms, and handguns. All of the 22s are set up similar to the centerfire options. I have a fair amount of steel, some specifically for 22. Great reactive steel like dueling towers and spinners. They facilitate speed and accuracy. So what we do is start with 22s during the day moves in centerfire practice measure with timers how we’re doing, move back to 22s learn some lessons and then go back to center fire. I have a fair amount of steel, some specifically for 22. Get reactive steel like dueling towers and spinners. They facilitate speed and accuracy with instant feedback. So what we do is start with 22s, during the day move to centerfire, practice and measure with timers how we’re doing, move back to 22s learn some lessons and then go back to centerfire.

Agree. My son was 13 when I started to teach him with a m&p 22. I then got him involved with SASP.
https://sssfonline.org/scholastic-pistol-program-spp/
He moved on to AR 22 and then 9 and .223/556

As far as training , I find some instructors will be open to train 15-16 year olds as long as parent takes the class and they , the instructors, are not the babysitters.

Hope it helps

DK

voiceofreason
10-07-20, 19:37
Definitely .22LR to start. Low recoil, cheaper, and they can get more rounds downrange. Focus on basics. Like the idea of the G44 to prep for G19, but I've never even held one.

22/45 Lite is reliable and easy to shoot

Disciple
10-08-20, 10:51

Anybody else have one of these? Looking at their 19x GBB

1168, did you get one? How is it?

robstercraw
11-14-20, 16:27
My vote is for the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 line. These newer Mark IV make taketown a breeze as well. The earlier generations were an absolute nightmare to fieldstrip. These are great guns for introducing new shooters.

The_War_Wagon
11-14-20, 17:57
Ruger Mk. Series I, II, IV, III in that order, if you can find 'em.

Esq.
11-16-20, 06:18
Glock 44. Had mine for over a year. Great little pistol.

BuzzinSATX
11-16-20, 10:03
I know this is an old thread, but it’s probably relevant still for others.

Ditto on all the .22 suggestions, not just for kids but all new shooters.

Lately, I’ve been burning through about a hundred rounds a couple nights a week in my garage shooting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-177-Caliber-Steel-Pistol/dp/B07FT2LLLK

Lots of fun! Made by Umarex and licensed by Glock. Mags are $12 and hold 16 bb’s. I train at 7 yards in my garage, sometimes low light with flashlight. I had a nice Japanese Glock airsoft but this is way better IMO.

Cost...pretty cheap. I get 7 mags from a CO2 cartridge. 40 cartridges cost under $20, and 6000 bbs are under $8. I spend 30-40 minutes to get through those 7 mags. Total cost for BB’s and CO2 is under $1.00 (excluding targets and backstop).

For a backstop, I framed out a 4’ * 6’ rectangle using 2*4 lumber. I used two layers of foam flooring on the back, and several layers of heavy duty cardboard moving boxes on the front. I use the stick on targets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Norsk-4-Pack-24-in-x-24-in-Gray-black-solid-color-Foam-Tile-Multipurpose-Flooring/1002967934

https://www.lowes.com/pd/24-in-W-x-18-in-H-x-18-in-D-Moving-Box-Classic-Large-Heavy-Duty-Cardboard-Moving-Boxes/50098526

YMMV

RUTGERS95
11-18-20, 20:39
22lr is the correct ammo choice but all these suggestions for semis is foolish. Teach them first on a SA or revolver in 22lr. Teach them proper technique, rules, etc etc. Hell, lots of kids have trouble racking some slides, most adult women do for that matter, so using a semi first add complexity and danger to new shooters.

Pachucko
11-18-20, 21:14
22lr is the correct ammo choice but all these suggestions for semis is foolish. Teach them first on a SA or revolver in 22lr. Teach them proper technique, rules, etc etc. Hell, lots of kids have trouble racking some slides, most adult women do for that matter, so using a semi first add complexity and danger to new shooters.

I found the opposite to be true. I started my kid with revolvers and he quickly lost interest and wanted to leave the range. I was bewildered as he had been so excited to learn to shoot ‘real guns’ till he explained it was hurting his thumbs (cocking the hammer).

KayBur
11-19-20, 08:35
I found the opposite to be true. I started my kid with revolvers and he quickly lost interest and wanted to leave the range. I was bewildered as he had been so excited to learn to shoot ‘real guns’ till he explained it was hurting his thumbs (cocking the hammer).

Everything is individual. Children are all different. The attention and interest of each child needs to be won in its own way. The child may not be interested in weapons at all. We are used to the fact that pistols and cars are for boys, and dolls for girls, but my niece loves cars, and my nephew is indifferent to pistols. He is more interested in disassembling something (and simultaneously breaking it).

Disciple
11-19-20, 09:15
Lots of fun! Made by Umarex and licensed by Glock. Mags are $12 and hold 16 bb’s. I train at 7 yards in my garage, sometimes low light with flashlight. I had a nice Japanese Glock airsoft but this is way better IMO.

Why do you like it better than the airsoft Glock? I may try one of these.

RUTGERS95
11-19-20, 09:33
great thread everyone and agree every kid is different. I just found it easier to keep it simple and work up from there.

my dad was a DI so I started off early and by 10, could completely field strip, clean, operate, etc etc but for my kids, I started them off with bb guns to learn proper handling, the 4 basic rules, etc. and then graduated to 22lrs and now on to ARs. Did the same for handguns going from bb to SA roughriders and now they are learning the semis. It's loads of fun and we shoot cans, water bottles, different things to keep them having fun with it. They love to compete against each other for extra 'stay up' at night. lol

Sid Post
11-26-20, 20:40
The S&W M&P 22lr is a great option. I like it better than the Ruger MK II and Browning Buckmark.

The S&W M&P 22's used to be really cheap but, I'm not sure about the cost today with all the gun buying craziness.

BuzzinSATX
12-02-20, 12:13
Why do you like it better than the airsoft Glock? I may try one of these.

Several main reasons:

1. I hated the air soft mags, mine leaked gas. CO2 cartridges way better!

2. I built a target frame and can use regular paper or “splash” targets over cardboard

3. I can pickup the bbs easily with magnet

CONS are I really need to be cognizant of auto glass and windows, but my target stands catch everything so not worried.

Disciple
12-02-20, 12:35
Thanks. What holster do you use? https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-experience/accessorizing-the-umarex-glock-g19/

Holstering the Umarex G19 is a little harder than I would like since the dimensions are just a little larger (we’re talking a fraction of an inch) but enough to make it a hard fit in most Kydex or injection molded Glock 19 rigs.

BuzzinSATX
12-02-20, 14:17
Thanks. What holster do you use? https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-experience/accessorizing-the-umarex-glock-g19/

I use my kydex OWB carry holster. Mine is the thinner kydex and flexes to fit great

JEL458
12-06-20, 19:54
I have both the G44 and M&P-22 Compact. The trigger on the G44 was difficult for my 13 & 15 year old girls as well as my 10 year old son. They had no issues with the M&P-22 Compact.

The M&P came with a threaded barrel. I had to buy one for the 44.

I am unaware if there is an airsoft version of it.

I teach at a Women on Target event twice a year and the (often elderly) women have used that M&P-22C for years as well.

Bimmer
12-06-20, 21:38
I am thinking the same thing with my 14 & 11 year old and here is what I'm testing. The Glock 44...

This was my answer, to introduce my daughter to handguns. It's terrific.

I would start with a 22 to train control and safety, but they may be ready to move up to 9mm quickly...

Some people keep going back to 22, some want to move up. Depends on the kid.

LOL, I'm one of those kids that keeps going back to .22lr...

Now that the glock 44 is out, and they have a threaded barrel for it, you might try it as others have mentioned. Be aware it has the LH metric threads, however...

Non-issue... The threaded barrel comes with a 1/2-28 adaptor.

I know a few girls that started competition shooting and that started on somethign like a Ruger Mark IV

That's next for us... I wanted a G44 first because it's lighter and handier: only 12-13oz.

The Ruger Mark IVs weigh three times as much.

Have the bugs been worked out of the G44 yet?

Mine's been trouble free, besides the typical rimfire ammo issues. (It hates hates HATES Norma's .22lr.)

22lr is the correct ammo choice but all these suggestions for semis is foolish. Teach them first on a SA or revolver in 22lr...

I considered that and rejected it... I'm just not a SA revolver fan. Loading one round at a time through a gate just sucks. I'd rather my daughter learn the Glock manual of arms, too.

You're right about not going straight to a pistol: Start 'em with a rifle. We went from a Savage Cub/Rascal to a Ruger American Rimfire, and Santa just brought a T/CR22 early.

The trigger on the G44 was difficult...

Amen... The trigger on the G44 seemed even heavier than on my eight centerfire Glocks — maybe because the gun itself is so light that it feels like a squirt gun.

Everybody who shot the gun (Everybody who sees it wants to try it!) commented on the heavy trigger. I measured it, and it was 7.5lbs. Wow!

Happily, the G44 takes any other Glock connector and striker and safety plunger springs... The trigger pull is now barely 4lbs.

if4not
12-06-20, 23:09
Been using a Ruger SR-22 and steel targets for several years now. Instant gratification plus easy-to-shot pistol led to many repeat range trips. We’ve moved in to a S&W M&P-22 rifle and her own shotgun from there. I’ll probably move her up to a G44 soon, but it wasn’t available at the time. The Ruger fits small hand well.

Bimmer
12-06-20, 23:12
We’ve moved in to a S&W M&P-22 rifle and her own shotgun from there...

Which shotgun?

My daughter wants to go bird hunting, and I have a couple Benelli M1/M2s, but those don't seem like a good first shotgun. (Though they've been my first/only shotguns.)

I really don't want to go buy a 20ga...

if4not
12-06-20, 23:56
We’ve had good luck with the Challenger 7 1/2 loads in our 12ga. Brownell’s has them.

if4not
12-06-20, 23:57
Browning O/U citori

Bimmer
12-06-20, 23:58
We’ve had good luck with the Challenger 7 1/2 loads in our 12ga.

Cool... I've seen those.

They would probably make the Benelli a single-shot, but that doesn't matter for shooting trap.