PDA

View Full Version : Extractor spring broke. AGAIN!

Bugaboo
11-08-06, 08:30
My extractor spring broke again, this time after something like 1k rounds :mad: . It was blue buffer spring, originaly from DPMS Spare Parts set. The one before broke after app. 2.5k. It was black buffer.
I have 14.5'' Barrel and I shoot Wolf.
My question: Is it normal that these things brake so often or is there something wrong? If so, what is the problem?
Thank you in advance

Submariner
11-08-06, 08:40
Who made your original extractor spring?

Robb Jensen
11-08-06, 08:42
I've never seen a broken extractor spring. I have seen dozens over the years go bad just from use. They then quit extracting. When I encounter that I replace the extractor, extractor buffer and spring.

LukeMacGillie
11-08-06, 09:00
You cant expect milspec performance when you use non milspec parts and ammo.

Given that, I wouldn't say you have a "Problem".

Spend the money once a year on good parts and ammo or spend the money every 6 months for cheap parts and ammo.

Bugaboo
11-08-06, 09:05
You cant expect milspec performance when you use non milspec parts and ammo.

Given that, I wouldn't say you have a "Problem".

Spend the money once a year on good parts and ammo or spend the money every 6 months for cheap parts and ammo.

I would be more than happy to buy mil-spec parts. But outside US it is hard to get any AR15 parts. But what kind of extractor spring should I get? It comes with the buffer together, so should I get the black one?

LukeMacGillie
11-08-06, 09:16
I would be more than happy to buy mil-spec parts. But outside US it is hard to get any AR15 parts. But what kind of extractor spring should I get? It comes with the buffer together, so should I get the black one?

The buffer color is not as important as the spring color. Get the Reddish Copper color extractor spring, and a black insert.

ROUGH
11-08-06, 15:11
Here is a link to G&R TACTICAL, Grant has what you are looking for contact him
and see what he can do.

The spring kit is at the top of the page.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cleaning.htm

VA_Dinger
11-11-06, 20:33
Here is a link to G&R TACTICAL, Grant has what you are looking for contact him
and see what he can do.

The spring kit is at the top of the page.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cleaning.htm

Wow, Grant has made it easy for us.

Pat_Rogers
11-21-06, 05:42
We had a problamatic dpms gun at the memphis class last week. When we broke it down, the extractor spring was flat. All that remained of the blue insert were some crumbs.
After we replaced those items the gun once again locked up.
We noted that the receiver extension- while screwed in all the way- was loose.
You could move it up and down. Apparently when the rear of the stock was "up", the buffer retaining bin was no pnger captured, and it moved up into the receiver.
Luke is correct. You cannot expect milspec performance when you use non milspec parts.