PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon 3x magnifier

Jonnyt16
04-01-20, 20:03
Mine just arrived today. Mounted it behind an Eotech EXPS2 on a DDM4V7 that used to bear a LVPO. Was going to go with Eotech's new G43 (or perhaps their G45) but those won't be shipping until late spring/early summer and I'm impatient. Plus I like the price tag on the Trijicon better.

Anyway, this thing lines up great behind the EXPS2 and I'm glad they decided to use the same exact flip-to-side mount that Eotech uses for their magnifiers. I'm not sure how it compares in size and weight to the G43 but it is definitely smaller and lighter than my G33 that I have on another rifle. Glass is excellent and crystal clear as you'd expect from Trijicon.

One thing that has to be said though....I simply cannot believe that Trijicon didn't engineer this thing to fit above Troy folding rear sights! The magnifier was unable to completely deploy because the bottom was hitting the body of the Troy sight - thus it sat at a very noticeable cant which is completely unacceptable. So I grinded off part of the iron sight until the magnifier was able to totally snap in to position the way it should. And I had to grind off a fair bit of that sight to be honest. Hopefully the last two photos below will illustrate exactly what I'm talking about. I know there's a lot of back-up iron sights out there now that are more "low-pro" than the Troys but I have a hard time believing that Troy irons aren't still very popular and still sit on top of many rifles out there so the fact that Trijicon didn't make this magnifier compatible with them (without modification) had me shaking my head a bit.

https://i.imgur.com/l6euMwl.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/tMQpOVG.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/MN4Ghia.jpg?2

https://i.imgur.com/Z2mZnsL.jpg?2

mebiuspower
04-01-20, 20:48
It's made in China, that's why it's cheaper than other brands.

ExplorinInTheWoods
04-02-20, 08:41
It's made in China, that's why it's cheaper than other brands.

I don’t know about that, primary arms and vortex yes. But Trijicon either makes it in Michigan or they use Japanese glass.

Furbyballer
04-02-20, 08:46
These new Trijicon Magnifiers look strikingly similar to the vortex magnifiers that just hit the streets.

officerX
06-09-20, 16:03
I don’t know about that, primary arms and vortex yes. But Trijicon either makes it in Michigan or they use Japanese glass.

I've heard from other sources that it is true that it's made in China. I'm still not opposed to buying one, but I'm looking for real world experiences with them.

OP - that rear sight looks pretty tall (folded), maybe you need to get a lower profile one. Maybe something like the MBUS Pro would work better.

Arms Unlimited currently has these on sale for $350. https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijicon-3x-Magnifier-QD-Flip-Side-Mount-p/2600001.htm

mebiuspower
06-10-20, 09:58
I've heard from other sources that it is true that it's made in China.[/URL]

"Made in China" is laser engraved underneath the magnifier body.

They want to sell this product at a certain price point hence why it's made there.

caporider
06-10-20, 10:11
These new Trijicon Magnifiers look strikingly similar to the vortex magnifiers that just hit the streets.

But the Vortex has way better clearance over rear flip up sights.

El Vaquero
06-11-20, 15:45
Thanks for posting about the fitment issues. Can’t see how that made it past the testing phase given how many folks have Troy rear sights.

I’ve been waiting for the Eotech 5x magnifier to hit stores. Similar design. I hope it won’t have the same fitment issues.

How’s the eye relief on the Trijicon?

Jonnyt16
12-20-22, 22:42
Thanks for posting about the fitment issues. Can’t see how that made it past the testing phase given how many folks have Troy rear sights.

I’ve been waiting for the Eotech 5x magnifier to hit stores. Similar design. I hope it won’t have the same fitment issues.

How’s the eye relief on the Trijicon?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm still running the Trijicon on that rifle with no issues other than the initial modification I had to make on my rear iron sight. Eye relief is actually VERY good. Its 68mm compared to the Eotech G33's 55.8mm.

Curious...did you end up with a G45? I'm considering one for a different rifle

markm
12-21-22, 08:08
I'd like to try one of these magnifiers. I can't remember anyone shooting with us who runs one.

El Vaquero
12-21-22, 14:18
Sorry for the late reply. I'm still running the Trijicon on that rifle with no issues other than the initial modification I had to make on my rear iron sight. Eye relief is actually VERY good. Its 68mm compared to the Eotech G33's 55.8mm.

Curious...did you end up with a G45? I'm considering one for a different rifle

I did get the G45. It’s behind a T-2 on a Geissele mount. The G45 using the factory mount doesn’t quite line up perfectly behind the Geissele but once you have the dot centered in the magnifier it’s a non issue. It’s only aesthetics. And no fitment issues with my Troy backup sights. The glass is good. Feels very ruggedly built. I like it.

I bought a Credo 1-6 to play around with and I like red dot/magnifier combo better than my LPVO. It fits my needs better.

odugrad
12-23-22, 07:14
Also, in case anyone cares, Trijicon makes their 3x magnifiers in the Phillipines now.

markm
12-23-22, 07:26
I looked at these things on the google machine. Too rich for my blood. I was thinking import would be half the price they bring. I'd have to rent one before committing to such a gadget.

AndyLate
12-23-22, 10:25
Also, in case anyone cares, Trijicon makes their 3x magnifiers in the Phillipines now.

I care, but would need it to clear a Troy rear BUIS.

If I was buying a Chinese magnifier; Vortex, Holosun, Primary Arms, and SIG all sell a similar optic - why pay for Trijicon labeling?

Andy

Jonnyt16
12-24-22, 17:35
I did get the G45. It’s behind a T-2 on a Geissele mount. The G45 using the factory mount doesn’t quite line up perfectly behind the Geissele but once you have the dot centered in the magnifier it’s a non issue. It’s only aesthetics. And no fitment issues with my Troy backup sights. The glass is good. Feels very ruggedly built. I like it.

I bought a Credo 1-6 to play around with and I like red dot/magnifier combo better than my LPVO. It fits my needs better.
Oh cool. Would love to see photos of that rig. If I could go back I would have waited until the G45 came out and purchased that.

I sold off all my LPVOs a few years ago and now all my carbines bear either a red dot + magnifier or just a red dot alone.

Another photo from a few years ago that I never posted showing the clearance issue with Trijicon compared to an Eotech magnifier....

https://i.imgur.com/n0DsnEL.jpg?1

El Vaquero
12-25-22, 23:02

Not that terrible.

markm
12-26-22, 08:57
Interesting set ups.

odugrad
12-26-22, 21:43
I'm pretty sure the trijicon came with a riser. Did you use that?

Jonnyt16
12-26-22, 22:10
I'm pretty sure the trijicon came with a riser. Did you use that?
The riser plates fit in between the bottom of the magnifier body and the mounting plate. And that mounting plate extends to about 3/4 the length of the body. Look at the design difference between the Trijicon and the G33.

Pikey
12-31-22, 17:19
How well does the Trijicon magnifier work in low light conditions? I have the Vortex 3X micro and it’s very dim, almost unusable, in rainy weather dusk etc. I was wondering if Trijicon worked better in those conditions.

Jonnyt16
12-31-22, 18:51
How well does the Trijicon magnifier work in low light conditions? I have the Vortex 3X micro and it’s very dim, almost unusable, in rainy weather dusk etc. I was wondering if Trijicon worked better in those conditions.
Its not bad. I wouldn't call it great but definitely not horrible or unusable. The Trijicon's objective lens size is 25mm if that helps.

Pikey
01-01-23, 15:31
Its not bad. I wouldn't call it great but definitely not horrible or unusable. The Trijicon's objective lens size is 25mm if that helps.

Thanks that helps.

markm
01-18-23, 11:14
AR15discounts has the Vortex Micro 3X magnifier with flip for $230 now. That's about cheap enough to try one of these out.

Sh1t! I grabbed one. Good reviews and review pics on their site. QD attach too? Not much downside risk.

Jonnyt16
01-18-23, 21:18
AR15discounts has the Vortex Micro 3X magnifier with flip for $230 now. That's about cheap enough to try one of these out.

Sh1t! I grabbed one. Good reviews and review pics on their site. QD attach too? Not much downside risk.
Glad you found something in your budget that will allow you to try a magnifier. I think you will enjoy using one. Which gun is it going on and what red dot will you have it behind? Let us know how it works out for you.

markm
01-19-23, 11:19
Glad you found something in your budget that will allow you to try a magnifier. I think you will enjoy using one. Which gun is it going on and what red dot will you have it behind? Let us know how it works out for you.

I'm going to try it behind the EOtech XPS for sure. But we'll probably bounce it around on several Aimpoints, and a Romeo RDS to see how we like it. We've gotten to where we know the hold overs out to 500 yards, but with zero magnification, it's far from precise. I hope to have it for next weekend.

I'll definitely post about it here.

Jonnyt16
01-19-23, 13:19
You will love how the magnifier sharpens up the Eotech's reticle.

markm
01-19-23, 13:50
You will love how the magnifier sharpens up the Eotech's reticle.

I bet. My eyes make it a little fuzzy, but not too terrible. I'm excited to try a magnifier.

Hank6046
01-19-23, 14:03

The Vortex is pretty good, not as good of glass obviously as the Eotech, and I'm still mad I sold mine when I sold my XPS-2, but after getting the Vortex I'm not exactly in any hurry to upgrade it back to an Eotech. I'd like a look at the Trijicon, but just haven't seen many around.

markm
01-19-23, 14:14
The Vortex is pretty good, not as good of glass obviously as the Eotech, and I'm still mad I sold mine when I sold my XPS-2, but after getting the Vortex I'm not exactly in any hurry to upgrade it back to an Eotech. I'd like a look at the Trijicon, but just haven't seen many around.

The Trijicon looks wildly similar to the Vortex to me. I mean the lever on the mount and everything. If I ended up loving the concept, I'd be willing to buy an Eotech for higher quality.

What I don't get are they caps over what looks be reticle adjustments on the Vortex. The tube is even marked as such.

Hank6046
01-19-23, 14:26
What I don't get are they caps over what looks be reticle adjustments on the Vortex. The tube is even marked as such.

They are, I guess I just utilize this with one optic and don't take it on and off the rifle enough to where that is an issue and kinda liked that they were more tucked away vs the g33

markm
01-19-23, 14:35
But what do you need to adjust? Does it center up the optic's actual dot/reticle?

Jonnyt16
01-19-23, 14:41
The mounts may be the same, but the Trijicon has a slightly larger objective lens than the Vortex.

Hank6046
01-19-23, 14:42
But what do you need to adjust? Does it center up the optic's actual dot/reticle?

So yes, you want to center the dot or reticle in the magnifier, it's not a scope and doesn't take much. Your just doing this to have the same field of view on all sides of the magnifier, if you are going from a red dot on one upper to a donut like an eotech on another often, or you are taking it on and off all the time and sticking it in a pouch then you might want something with uncapped turrets but if not then there really is no need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWNrbp2SOzM

markm
01-19-23, 14:55
Thanks for both replies!

Hank6046
01-19-23, 15:38
Thanks for both replies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fryJ4DQ0Lxc

This is a more in depth view of a magnifier and optic setup by Aaron Cowan, who knows a lot more than I do

markm
01-19-23, 16:08
Thanks. I'll watch tonight at home.

markm
01-19-23, 21:58
Interesting video. I was hoping to just toss this thing on and go, but it sounds like it would be best to set it up for one gun and play from there.

Pappabear
01-21-23, 14:51
Looks simple enough. Sight in RDS, then sight in the magnifier. I hope it workes that way and we are GTG within 10-20 rounds.

PB

markm
01-25-23, 18:37
This thing is pretty cool. I'm impressed with it and freakin excited to shoot it now.

https://i.imgur.com/4O2haYK.jpg

Waylander
01-25-23, 18:46
Interesting video. I was hoping to just toss this thing on and go, but it sounds like it would be best to set it up for one gun and play from there.

I’m no expert but my Aimpoint 3x took literally a couple of minutes to eyeball and works with several different optics as long as they’re all fairly close in height to the center dot.

Edit. I just realized your post was from 4 years ago. Lol.

markm
01-25-23, 18:51
This unit says the POI doesn't shift, and the adjustments are for preference of centering the dot. I spot checked this on a roof jack across the street and it seems to be fine.

markm
01-25-23, 18:52
Edit. I just realized your post was from 4 years ago. Lol.

Huh? My post is last week.

Waylander
01-25-23, 18:57
Huh? My post is last week.

I’m brain dead. Lol.
The post date on Crapatalk is 1/19 and I read it as 1/2019.

Pappabear
01-27-23, 09:23
I saw the Sig Romeo and mag combo on sale from $679 to $299. Was hard to pass on at Sportsman warehouse.

But if your looking then maybe you look there for a test unit.

PB

markm
01-27-23, 09:37
This combo didn't seem to work. The dot blurred and double imaged.

https://i.imgur.com/SavLHLJ.jpg

camoman
01-27-23, 20:05
I love this combo. I’m thinking about ordering a Juliet 4 for my ODG gun, that has a Romeo 7s.

https://i.postimg.cc/wTLrx2vR/F1-B4-E043-A457-43-C5-AE73-BDB65-ABE64-E7.jpg (https://postimg.cc/0b5ncp79)

markm
01-27-23, 21:31
We tried the Vortex behind Several Aimpoints, Sig (romeos) and the Eotech. The Eotech works best. All of the RDS sights produce some sore of dot echo/doubling. We'll get some real range time with it this weekend.

camoman
01-27-23, 21:50
We tried the Vortex behind Several Aimpoints, Sig (romeos) and the Eotech. The Eotech works best. All of the RDS sights produce some sore of dot echo/doubling. We'll get some real range time with it this weekend.

It’s perfect behind the AEMS with the circle dot. It’s crisp and undistorted. But really my AEMS, in my opinion is superior to any chicom rds I’ve ever owned, by far. It’s almost like a lighter version of an Eotech, that has great battery life. The only issue, if it is even an issue…is the circle dot is enlarge a little with the AEMS magnified. Where, from what I understand with an Eotech there is no reticle enlargement under magnification.

markm
01-28-23, 06:32
Yeah. It's kinda like that double image you see with a double paned glass window. I thought it was just on a cheapo Romeo sight, but all the aimpoints to it to some degree. We'll see if it's a deal breaker out in real shooting this weekend. Again, the Eotech is an improvement as the OP mentioned it would be.