PDA

View Full Version : "Albuquerque police looking for a few good snitches"

thopkins22
11-22-08, 18:23
This amused the hell out of me. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/6127178.html

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The Albuquerque Police Department has turned to the want ads for snitches.

An ad this week in the alternative newspaper The Alibi asks "people who hang out with crooks" to do part-time work for the police.

It reads in part: "Make some extra cash! Drug use and criminal record OK."

Capt. Joe Hudson says police received more than 30 responses in two days. He says one tip was a "big one" but wouldn't elaborate.

An informant whose tip helps officers arrest a drug dealer could earn $50. A tip about a murder suspect could bring as much as $700.

It's not the first time the department has run ads. In a program 10 years ago, police received so many calls they turned the phones off."

mmike87
11-23-08, 21:17
Wow, $700 bucks. That's what a life is worth these days.

Seriously, I hate these "rat on your neighbor" programs. The government encouraging citizens to spy on one another. Sure, these folks are all probably people most of us could care less about, but they already want your plumber to be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

Business_Casual
11-23-08, 22:47
"In a program 10 years ago, police received so many calls they turned the phones off."

Awesome police work! With guardians of that caliber the sheep are indeed safe.

M_P

jdp710
11-24-08, 12:27
"In a program 10 years ago, police received so many calls they turned the phones off."

Awesome police work! With guardians of that caliber the sheep are indeed safe.

M_P

UGGGHHH!!!! You wouldn't believe how "useless" APD is unless I told you.

And yes, I live in Albuquerque.

ST911
11-24-08, 12:48
"In a program 10 years ago, police received so many calls they turned the phones off." Awesome police work! With guardians of that caliber the sheep are indeed safe. M_P

The utility of such efforts varies. When the signal:noise is too poor, it's best to shut them down and task the people answering those calls to other efforts.

UGGGHHH!!!! You wouldn't believe how "useless" APD is unless I told you. And yes, I live in Albuquerque.

Was there a particular event that you received unsatisfactory service, or are you just slinging random poo?

There are members of APD here at M4C. Perhaps they can help you.

APD is also recruiting. Join up and show them how it's done.

Tom_Jones
11-24-08, 13:17
deleted

jdp710
11-24-08, 14:02
I'm referring to the way 3 major incidents were handled in 15 years towards my immediate family members.

And don't get me wrong I don't dislike APD in no way and actually have 2 good friends on the force. My comment was in no way saying that "whatsoever" as there are some good people in APD.

My comment is about the "actions" of the officers responding towards those 3 incidents. Maybe times have changed and APD has gotten there act together in investigating cases. I hope so.

warpigM-4
11-24-08, 16:12
Wow, $700 bucks. That's what a life is worth these days.

Seriously, I hate these "rat on your neighbor" programs. The government encouraging citizens to spy on one another. Sure, these folks are all probably people most of us could care less about, but they already want your plumber to be on the lookout for anything suspicious.this reminds me of the dare program forced on kids in schools.I read that a few have turned their parents in to LEO over drug use in the home.I am not for drug use ,but to have your child turn against you in that manner is just wrong in my books

R Moran
11-24-08, 17:18
UGGGHHH!!!! You wouldn't believe how "useless" APD is unless I told you.

And yes, I live in Albuquerque.

Well, tell us.

Its been covered by others, but having lived in ABQ for a few years, attended their SWAT operator course, and trained with a more then a few of their officers, and had a couple retired officers as trainers, I have nothing but good things to say about APD. My current place of employment is tired of hearing about them.
In fact they are probably one of the best PD's in the country. Having lived in more then few places in the country, including NYC, and one of my best friends is on the job with NYPD, I think APD does a very good job, especially considering Albuquerque.

As far a snithcing, well they are usually the dregs of society, so it's kinda like a self cleaning oven, no fuss, no muss.

Bob

jdp710
11-24-08, 19:03
Again, I don't dislike APD in no way. In fact, there are some very courageous officers in APD that I solute and am glad are protecting Albuquerque!

My comments are based on the 3 major incidents that have happened to my immediate family members over the past 15 years in APD's lack of ability to investiage crimes. That's all. But when you have had 3 crimes that are on par with what has happened here ... well all I can say is UGGHHH.

http://www.realcrimes.com/Corruption%20Overview1.htm

I won't say anything further from here on out as I'm not going to hijack this thread but again, APD does have very fine and honest officers that I thank god are protecting Albuqerque. "I'm just critical in their lack of investigating cases," and that's what I'm referring to in my original comment. But this all happened "many" years ago so I hope things have changed.

ST911
11-25-08, 12:52
I'm referring to the way 3 major incidents were handled in 15 years towards my immediate family members...And don't get me wrong I don't dislike APD in no way and actually have 2 good friends on the force. My comment was in no way saying that "whatsoever" as there are some good people in APD...My comment is about the "actions" of the officers responding towards those 3 incidents. Maybe times have changed and APD has gotten there act together in investigating cases. I hope so.

Again, I don't dislike APD in no way. In fact, there are some very courageous officers in APD that I solute and am glad are protecting Albuquerque!..."I'm just critical in their lack of investigating cases," and that's what I'm referring to in my original comment. But this all happened "many" years ago so I hope things have changed.

Then adjust your comments accordingly. You're welcome to be dissatisfied with the quality of service received, and to say so. Indicting an entire agency with your "useless" comment is unfair to the many hard working men and women of APD who will come running when you call.

I have been profoundly unhappy with some LE service I've received over the years, but I place the blame squarely where it resided: the individual officer or team assigned to the task.

this reminds me of the dare program forced on kids in schools.I read that a few have turned their parents in to LEO over drug use in the home.I am not for drug use ,but to have your child turn against you in that manner is just wrong in my books

I taught DARE a few years. As I recall, the kids (primarily 5th graders) couldn't wait for each class, and had a ball having stuff forced down their throats.

A few dimed out multiple family members for a wide variety of things. DARE was the catalyst for several kids being removed from their homes. A few came back years later to say thanks.

DARE is imperfect, but like all else, there's more to the story.

G27gear
11-25-08, 12:52
I was reading the information in the link from the above post...
Everything seemed pretty up and up and well researched (for the most part) until I got to something about a bunch of officers and "and four US NAVY SEALS" breaking into a house and shooting somebody...
I'm also from Albuquerque, but haven't lived there since I joined the army 16 years ago. My kids moved back after my divorce and I have lots of family out there, so I've got lots of ties out that way. I really think the city has gone downhill since I was a kid out there.
My grandfather retired from the state police, his last assigement was with dist. 5 in Alb (not sure if the districts are still divided the way they use to be). My uncle also retired years and years ago, but I can't remember if he was city or state. Either way, the stories I heard when I was a kid really shocked me. But the stories I hear these days scare the hell out of me...

R Moran
11-25-08, 13:02
Albuquerque is a tough town.

Bob

G27gear
11-25-08, 13:46
, and getting tougher every day

Ben Lenett
11-25-08, 13:58
The Albuquerque Police Department is one of the finest agencies in the country. Their specialty units are topshelf in every possible way. APD SWAT and ROP are as good as they get.

I have extremely close ties to this agency and spend quite a bit of time with them.

Albuquerque is one tough city and those guys have a rough job that few others want. Unlike numerous departments in this country, APD is one of the few that still does what cops are supposed to do....lock up bad guys and protect the decent citizens who chose to reside there.

If they can get tips to solve crimes then more power to them. I think it is a great idea. As every cop on this board knows.....crooks sell out crooks all the time. They have no loyalty, so why not capitalize on that fact.

G27gear
11-25-08, 14:01
well said.
Let them eat their own.

testudo
11-25-08, 14:20
This is off topic, but does anyone remember in 2001 when Albuquerque's ghetto-bird landed at Krispy Kremes to get doughnuts? I thought that was funny as hell. I would have loved to seen the faces of the doughnut shop's employes when that thing landed.

R Moran
11-25-08, 14:50
, and getting tougher every day

Yea, I kinda miss it.

I'm not sure about active duty Navy SEALS, but I know they brought in Jeff Gonzales, one or twice. They've also had Pat Rogers, etc.

Bob

thopkins22
11-25-08, 15:29
To clarify for those who work for/work with/sympathize with APD, I don't know anything about the department, nor any of their officers(I'm sure they're class acts, as the vast majority of the officers I know in Houston are), I do however, think that looking for informants in the want ads is patently absurd. Are friends of drug dealers and murderers doing a lot of shopping in them? I also think the pay offered won't do much to sway a crook.

Sidebar:
DARE was the biggest waste of time that I've ever been subjected to. Perhaps that's because my morals were instilled by my parents, and what the police had to say was either in line with what I learned or irrelevant. With that said, almost none of the time was focused on drugs, it was almost all related to violence. What time was focused on drugs was about how marijuana won't kill you, but you'll be smoking crack within the week(also why I think it's been utterly useless preventing drug abuse) etc....

G27gear
11-26-08, 09:02
Yea, I kinda miss it.

I'm not sure about active duty Navy SEALS, but I know they brought in Jeff Gonzales, one or twice. They've also had Pat Rogers, etc.

Bob

Bringing in a couple former military guys for cousult is a far cry from a huge infraction the Posse Comitatus Act. It's obvously not true, but it makes the whole list of other problems with Albuquerque law enforcement reak with bias and hearsay.

Ben Lenett
11-26-08, 09:13
There were several SEALs that were spending some time with APD SWAT to see how they did things, so they could take these tactics back to the Teams. APD did a hit where they had to use deadly physical force on a subject and the SEALs were there when it occurred.

The SEALs were NOT training APD nor were they participating in any fashion other than pure observation.

This was back in the day when the Military didn't shoot people, so they were coming to cops that did for instruction on how best to do that. There are few better places than APD SWAT to learn this skill first hand.

G27gear
11-26-08, 09:54
I can see your point there. I'm in a unit that trains with and supports the training of other units that train with lots of law enforcement agencies, I've never heard of them going on raids with them, but this was years ago.
I guess it's the spin that's read into the article that really get's me.

R Moran
11-26-08, 18:03
Interesting Ben, that was obviously before my time in ABQ.

In the same vein, the DOE/CTA SRT course was set up by LAPD, way back, and my understanding is they helped APD out also. For awhile APD sent their swat guys to the DOE course for initial training. Most of the instructors are former APD swat.
In the main office, there also a few plaque from some military units thanking the CTA for the training, some you might be surprized at.

Bob