PDA

View Full Version : Cerakoted Cproducts SS mags

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 11:24
As some of you have read, I am doing my own 1911's. In the process of picking a finish for them, it was recommended that I look into Cerakote. So I did and here is some info on the coating:

CeraKote was developed by NIC Industries, Inc. CeraKote was designed to provide a high quality, long lasting finish, with high corrosion protection and durability. Unlike Teflon based gun coatings the CeraKote coating offers unparalled levels of hardness and abrasion resistance because of their unique ceramic backbone. It provides excellent corrosion protection, outstanding abrasion resistance, extreme hardness, & unmatched durability. CeraKote surpasses Teflon based coatings for wear resistance by well over 60%. CeraKote also has self lubricating elements incorporated through out the coatings matrix.

So with that knowledge in hand, I sent some Cproducts SS mags out to be coated. In the past, I have KG coated some mags. After a couple insertions, the KG would start to show wear. To date, these Cerakoted mags have over 50 insertions and show almost no wear!

Here are some pics of the mags I had done. Notice how closely the mag color matches the Magpul L and Ranger plates.

C4

FDE Mags

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Mags/Cerakote%20FDE%20mags.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Mags/Cerakoted%20mag%20FDE%20with%20MIAD.JPG

OD Mags

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Mags/Ceracoate%20OD%20mags.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Mags/Cerakoted%20OD%20mag%20with%20MIAD.JPG

mike240
11-08-06, 14:38
With it being ceramic based; is that what the original finish on the Gladius lights was? My understanding that the black ones were first done with a ceramic finish prior to hard anodizing.

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 14:41
With it being ceramic based; is that what the original finish on the Gladius lights was? My understanding that the black ones were first done with a ceramic finish prior to hard anodizing.

I really don't know for sure if the Gladius has a Cerakote finish or not (sorry).

C4

mike240
11-08-06, 14:45
Not concerned by brand name per se, just to have something I was familiar with was a comparison. I am familiar with T moly and others but not ceramic based coatings. After all, I live in Robar country and like NP3 in certain applications but not a big Roguard fan.

SuicideHz
11-08-06, 14:49
Something is wrong with those mags. They are not evenly sprayed or something. Shrink your window to be an inch high and then scroll through the pictures. You'll see them go from lighter to darker and I don't think it's shadows.

Nice color though!

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 15:09
Not concerned by brand name per se, just to have something I was familiar with was a comparison. I am familiar with T moly and others but not ceramic based coatings. After all, I live in Robar country and like NP3 in certain applications but not a big Roguard fan.

Understand. This coating really isn't like anything else. The NP3 finish is an excellent finish for sure, but is expensive and hard to get done.

C4

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 15:10
Something is wrong with those mags. They are not evenly sprayed or something. Shrink your window to be an inch high and then scroll through the pictures. You'll see them go from lighter to darker and I don't think it's shadows.

Nice color though!

Trust me when I say that it is an optical illusion. They are sprayed evenly.

C4

davemcdonald
11-08-06, 16:02
Those are sweeeet!!! Have you worked up a price point yet? How is the finish on the inside? Looks like a home run brother.

Dave

matt7184
11-08-06, 16:54
Looks nice. Do you plan on offering them?

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 18:15
Those are sweeeet!!! Have you worked up a price point yet? How is the finish on the inside? Looks like a home run brother.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I am only going to offer them with either L or Ranger plates. If the demand is great enough I will offer them without those options I guess.

They are sprayed inside as well.

Price with the Ranger plate is $29 and with the L Plate is $28.

C4

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 18:15
Looks nice. Do you plan on offering them?

Well, that kind of depended on all of you. If I felt there was enough of an interest I would do them.

C4

matt7184
11-08-06, 18:22
If you do offer then put me down for 3-4 FDE ones.

Do they come with the CS springs?

deadwood83
11-08-06, 18:36

Nice color though!

Just compare the mag color to the floorplates. With close inspection they're all the same color and very evenly coated. Notice that the mags and the floorplates/grip get darker in the pictures. The floor also changes colors.

With that being said, will you offer any mags other than 30 rounders? Maybe some good ol' straight 20's?:rolleyes: :D

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 18:43
If you do offer then put me down for 3-4 FDE ones.

Do they come with the CS springs?

They come with Anti-Tilt followers and CS Springs. I will post in this thread when I get some more in (only got 2 of each color right now).

C4

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 18:44
Just compare the mag color to the floorplates. With close inspection they're all the same color and very evenly coated. Notice that the mags and the floorplates/grip get darker in the pictures. The floor also changes colors.

With that being said, will you offer any mags other than 30 rounders? Maybe some good ol' straight 20's?:rolleyes: :D

I have the Cproducts SS 20rd mags in stock and can do them for you if interested. Let me know.

C4

davemcdonald
11-08-06, 18:54
I'm glad you went through with this. A durable Earth tone mag and twenty dollars under the H&K mag price point and no rust. Will this mag feed 6.8 SPC? If you make them I will buy a couple as I have a thing about FDE. :D

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 19:13
I'm glad you went through with this. A durable Earth tone mag and twenty dollars under the H&K mag price point and no rust. Will this mag feed 6.8 SPC? If you make them I will buy a couple as I have a thing about FDE. :D

Once I saw the interest in an FDE mag, I knew that I had to do them. I also knew that I wanted them in SS as I feel it is much better mag.

I can do the Cproducts 6.8 mags for you.

I will have some more made next week and will let you know.

C4

davemcdonald
11-08-06, 19:29
I don't have a 6.8 but I thought the CProducts were one of the few that actually fed 6.8 as well as 5.56 without problems. I am interested in 5.56 mags if there is a difference.

QuietShootr
11-08-06, 19:47
I had a 1911 flat black Cerakoted about a year ago, and it's holding up really well. Holster wear is almost nil, and I carry it almost daily. Good coating, albeit hard to find someone who can do it.

http://sniper.rsvs.net/Springfield2.JPG

Oops...disregard that stupid date/time stamp - forgot to reset it.

Nathan_Bell
11-08-06, 20:12
I have used Cerakote on a couple mags and an Upper. The mags looked like the finish was wearing off after only about 40 or so uses. In truth it was the finish from the inside of my magwell. Tough stuff, and the mags look great Grant.

ETA. Spelling

M4arc
11-08-06, 21:17
Oh goodie!

Another excuse for me to buy more mags :D

Put me down for some, I won't be able to resist.

C4IGrant
11-08-06, 21:41
Cerakote appears to be about the best finish on the market to date. I plan on doing barrels, receiver extensions and rails in it.

Thanks guys for the interest in these.

C4

Impact
11-09-06, 00:40
are you planning on carrying the paint by itself ?

here is a picture of my Trident knife refinshed in black Cerakote.
Knife was bead blasted before applying the coating..been holding very good so far.

http://i13.tinypic.com/40ddz5t.jpg

C4IGrant
11-09-06, 07:51
I will not, but if you need something coated, I can help.

C4

C4IGrant
11-09-06, 08:04

To be honest Dave, I have never tried the 6.8 in the 5.56 mag. It might work, but cannot say for certain.

C4

Glockster35
11-09-06, 08:05
I am very interested in this coating. I will be researching it for future use.

I have a blued Springfiled Armory 1911, and several knives I want to have re-done and this might just fit the bill for me!

C4IGrant
11-09-06, 08:08
I am very interested in this coating. I will be researching it for future use.

I have a blued Springfiled Armory 1911, and several knives I want to have re-done and this might just fit the bill for me!

It is a good fit for a gun or knife as it wears VERY well.

C4

Impact
11-09-06, 10:35
I will not, but if you need something coated, I can help.

C4

that sounds good..what would be your turn around time ?

C4IGrant
11-09-06, 10:46
that sounds good..what would be your turn around time ?

Depends on the item, but most likely 1-2 weeks.

C4

deadwood83
11-09-06, 15:47
I have the Cproducts SS 20rd mags in stock and can do them for you if interested. Let me know.

C4

Hmm i'll pass on those. I'm really big into the 20 round 'old style' straight mags. Ordered 5 of em from midwest tactical. I might have you do them (If you will) if/when they arrive.

C4IGrant
11-09-06, 16:24
Hmm i'll pass on those. I'm really big into the 20 round 'old style' straight mags. Ordered 5 of em from midwest tactical. I might have you do them (If you will) if/when they arrive.

Roger. I might be able to help you with the mags.

C4

C4IGrant
11-09-06, 16:34
Here is another mag that was done in Tungsten. It is VERY similar for the old Colt color.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Mags/Cerakote%20Tungsten.JPG

Akoni
11-12-06, 10:29
Are the FDE mags on your site or is it better to get with you on the order?

C4IGrant
11-12-06, 12:24
Are the FDE mags on your site or is it better to get with you on the order?

They are not on the web site yet, as I don't have any for sale. I just sent 50 off to get coated and should have them back in a week.

Shoot me an e-mail if you would like to get on my pre-order list: sales@GRTactical.com

C4

Grendelizer
11-12-06, 16:34
To date, these Cerakoted mags have over 50 insertions and show almost no wear!

That's impressive!

John

STS
11-13-06, 10:55
I had my Wilson CQB redone in Cerakote black, and it has been great. The Armor Tough had gotten pretty worn and ratty, and I wanted to try something different. I was looking for a finish that was very durable, black, with good corrosion resistance - and I didn't want to wait four months to get it (Black T).

I have had the finish for about 6 months now and it is holding up great. My CQB sees a lot of time in kydex holsters, and I am hard pressed to say that there is any wear at all on the finish. There are some ever so slight shiny spots near the muzzle, but thats it. I'm told that Cerakote also has some self lubricating properties, but that is something that is hard to judge/measure.

I've also heard that Cerakote is basically the same thing that Nighthawk calls Permacoat. Again, this is just what I have been told from several big time 1911 shooters, I can't say it is fact. I will say that the Permacoat that Nighthawk uses has also been great for me, and when comparing my Nighthawk and my CQB, the finishes look and feel the same - for what it is worth.

matt7184
11-27-06, 13:03
Any updates?

C4IGrant
11-27-06, 16:42
Any updates?

They are still about 1-2 weeks out. Sorry for the delay.

C4

C4IGrant
12-11-06, 14:08
These are now available!

C4

mike01ta
12-12-06, 16:43
Are they on your website? Cant seem to find them

C4IGrant
12-13-06, 09:08
Are they on your website? Cant seem to find them

They are not. Please give me a call to place your order.

C4

Lumpy196
01-07-07, 13:17
I think Im going to need some of these for my FDE midlength.

KevinB
01-07-07, 16:27
I might know someone looking for 30 of these ;)

I'll send you an email tomorrow

C4IGrant
01-07-07, 17:00
I might know someone looking for 30 of these ;)

I'll send you an email tomorrow

Roger. I have about 70 of them coming soon.

C4

Dave L.
01-07-07, 17:40
Grant,

How does the quality of the SS C-Products mags(with or without the coating) compare in quality to the HK mags? Are the HK really worth $50?

C4IGrant
01-07-07, 17:44
Grant,

How does the quality of the SS C-Products mags(with or without the coating) compare in quality to the HK mags? Are the HK really worth $50?

Well, that is a touchy subject and I am not really going to say that one is better than the other.

I will say, that I am not a fan of the HK mags for several reason:

Cost
Weight
Can Rust
Cannot use Magpul Ranger plates

There also quite a few reports of issues with them do to the springs they use. So they mags don't work for me, but they might for you.

C4

Dave L.
01-07-07, 17:55
Well, that is a touchy subject and I am not really going to say that one is better than the other.

I will say, that I am not a fan of the HK mags for several reason:

Cost
Weight
Can Rust
Cannot use Magpul Ranger plates

There also quite a few reports of issues with them do to the springs they use. So they mags don't work for me, but they might for you.

C4

So the C prod. mags you are selling have the CeraKote + ISMI CS spring + magpul follower + a ranger/L plate....For how much?

C4IGrant
01-07-07, 17:57
So the C prod. mags you are selling have the CeraKote + ISMI CS spring + magpul follower + a ranger/L plate....For how much?

That is correct. L plate model is $28 and Ranger plate model is $29.

C4

Dave L.
01-07-07, 18:47
That is correct. L plate model is $28 and Ranger plate model is $29.

C4

Can you get these with the orange follower?

C4IGrant
01-07-07, 18:50
Can you get these with the orange follower?

Sure Can!

C4

Dave L.
01-07-07, 19:05
Do you have any FDE colored mags in stock?

JLM
01-11-07, 03:51
Tag for current stock. :cool:

C4IGrant
01-11-07, 17:19
Got some more coming soon.

C4