PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Slide won't remove

Web Architect
11-22-08, 22:09
Summary: When attempting to remove the slide from a Springfield EMP, something hangs up and prevents the slide from moving forward. This is no bushing on the EMP.

Basic 1911 take down followed:
1. Weapon empty confirmed.
2. Slide backed to align for slide stop removal
3. Remove slide stop
4. Move slide forward to remove. That's where it hangs up internally.

Many thanks!

Daveo
11-22-08, 22:27
Perhaps it's something with the recoil spring setup?

Web Architect
11-22-08, 22:32
Perhaps it's something with the recoil spring setup?

Perhaps the spring/guide rod is the problem. Possibly the barrel link. I don't know. Any ways to test/check this out and remedy it?

Thanks

exitinyourhead
11-22-08, 22:55
you should have gotten a small plastic half circle take down part with the pistol

you put this onto the guide rod behind the spring to relieve tension in order to remove the slide... do you have that part and did you do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZMyKvYdWM

at around 2 1/2 minutes they show the procedure...

hope this helps

Web Architect
11-22-08, 23:05
Affirmative, sort of... I've used the part successfully in the past. I still have the part.

My issue came after not using the part, but just the typical 1911 method. This is covered in the instruction manual as an "alternative" method.

varoadking
11-23-08, 11:57
Have you removed the magazine?

rob_s
11-23-08, 12:03
Summary: When attempting to remove the slide from a Springfield EMP, something hangs up and prevents the slide from moving forward. This is no bushing on the EMP.

Basic 1911 take down followed:
1. Weapon empty confirmed.
2. Slide backed to align for slide stop removal
3. Remove slide stop
4. Move slide forward to remove. That's where it hangs up internally.

Many thanks!
Not being familiar with bushingless 1911s...

Is this how everyone else does this? I always remove the bushing and plug on a standard 1911 which removes the spring pressure and allows the slide to move freely.

Is this not the right way with a bushingless gun? Do you take these guns apart like a Glock or a Sig by removing the complete slide, under tension, first?

exitinyourhead
11-23-08, 12:29
the only bushingless 1911 platform pistol I've had any dealings with is the emp, and yes it all comes off like a glock and then you remove the spring and retaining rod assy.

I'm not sure how you can take this gun apart without relieving some of the spring pressure. Maybe try again with the clip on it and make sure the gun is functioning correctly.

A friend recently brought over a 1911 (with bushing) that the barrel would not come off of. It turned out that the inside of the dustcover area was either pinching closed or a metal to metal strike (weak recoil spring maybe) had created burs so that the barrel wouldn't pass through the tighter gap. I would do it again with the tension release part on the emp and just make sure that everything is clearing first and then re attempt the alternative method. Wish I could help more.