PDA

View Full Version : Torn between two scopes....

jtskier11
11-22-08, 22:27
Great forum guys! Has really aided in the purchase of my first black rifle. Im awaiting the arrival of my Daly D-M4S. As of right now im in the process of picking optics for the gun. Its a flatty with 16" barrel. Im stuck between going with a 3-9x40 (Burris FF2, Leupy VX2, Nikon) or the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42. I can get Nikon stuff cheap because my friends brother works for Nikon. Would 3-12x42 be too much scope for my gun? Not going to be doing any extreme long range stuff. Plinking and rattling off at squirrels and crap on my farm.

I have a Burris Signature in 6-24x50 but I know that is overkill. Gonna save it for my new Tikka.

Thanks in advance!!

LettersFromEarth
11-23-08, 07:16
Welcome to M4C, jtskier11! Okay, in my opinion, all the optics put forth by you would be overkill, again--in my opinion. What is your spending limit regarding glass (and remember to factor in the cost of rings/mount in your price point)? Cheers.

Great forum guys! Has really aided in the purchase of my first black rifle. Im awaiting the arrival of my
Daly D-M4S. As of right now im in the process of picking optics for the gun. Its a flatty with 16" barrel. Im stuck between going with a 3-9x40 (Burris FF2, Leupy VX2, Nikon) or the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42. I can get Nikon stuff cheap because my friends brother works for Nikon. Would 3-12x42 be too much scope for my gun? Not going to be doing any extreme long range stuff. Plinking and rattling off at squirrels and crap on my farm.

I have a Burris Signature in 6-24x50 but I know that is overkill. Gonna save it for my new Tikka.

Thanks in advance!!

rob_s
11-23-08, 08:12
Great forum guys! Has really aided in the purchase of my first black rifle. Im awaiting the arrival of my Daly D-M4S. As of right now im in the process of picking optics for the gun. Its a flatty with 16" barrel. Im stuck between going with a 3-9x40 (Burris FF2, Leupy VX2, Nikon) or the Nikon Monarch 3-12x42. I can get Nikon stuff cheap because my friends brother works for Nikon. Would 3-12x42 be too much scope for my gun? Not going to be doing any extreme long range stuff. Plinking and rattling off at squirrels and crap on my farm.

Thanks in advance!!

What is your intended use for this rifle? What is your budget limit?

IMHO, 3-9x optics and M4-profile carbines aren't exactly the most logical combination.

Of course, who said everything had to be logical? :D

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_2537Medium.jpg

jtskier11
11-23-08, 10:57
Thanks for the input guys. This is all new to me! Not new to bullet propulsion devices in general but just the AR! Kinda feel like im trying to learn chinese. I dont really think im gonna take anything farther than maybe 75 yards. Taking down some squirrels, rabbits, coyotes around the tree row etc. But will plink with it some. I just wanted to put at least a scope on it. Ive been looking at the ACOG's some. But $500 bones was past what I wanted to spend on optics. But honestly im open to anything. I was looking to keep it under $300 for glass if possible.

rob_s
11-23-08, 11:31
You might try something like this
Leupold 1-4x20 VX-I Shotgun / Muzzleloader Scope (http://www.swfa.com/pc-3638-89-leupold-1-4x20-vx-i-shotgun-muzzleloader-scope.aspx)

It's only $200 (still need a mount) but it's Leupold quality and gives you a decent range of magnification.

The scope that I have pictured on mine above cost about $300. It bought it for one specific purpose, but it's a find plinking "non-tactical" scope.

Robb Jensen
11-23-08, 12:09

Thanks in advance!!

I'd get the Nikon if I were you since you said you can get if for a great price.

My wife has 13.7" Noveske with a Leupold 4.5-14x scope. It's a surgically accurate rifle to 300yds. Not great for speed up close but it's fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/shotgun006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/shotgun015.jpg

LettersFromEarth
11-23-08, 14:41
DSG ARMS has a pretty good thing going with their optic/mount package combos. That may be a good way to go to figure out if you even like magnification served up with your black rifle? But the fact that you can get Nikons' at a good price is for sure a plus as you can always use it on something else if it doesnt do it for your AR (just DONT skimp on the rings!:) )

bushmasterar15
11-23-08, 15:04
Since you can get a good deal thru Nikon that is what I would do. Maybe pass on some savings to the M4 guy's here also

jtskier11
11-23-08, 22:48
Id like to get an ACOG, but maybe sometime down the road. I think a scope will suffice for now. Another option my friend mentioned was the Monarch 2-8x32. Good bit shorter than the 3-9. From you guys experience, is a set-forward mount like the LaRue SPR a neccessity?? I just spent the last hour or so looking at rings too. Cant really tell which are best. The Leupold PRW's dont look too bad.

FJB
11-25-08, 06:17
Rob,
Okay I'll bite. While I haven't "seen an ant eat it's own head" I have seen a lot of things. But the SBR with a 3X9??? Interesting and definitely illogicial.

My two cents....get a Micro T-1 w/LT66X Tall Riser for the SBR. If you want magnification get an Aimpoint 3X magnifier to go with it. But hey I am biased.

S/F

rob_s
11-25-08, 06:19
Rob,
Okay I'll bite. While I haven't "seen an ant eat it's own head" I have seen a lot of things. But the SBR with a 3X9??? Interesting and definitely illogicial.

haha, the first time I posted that pic here the thread was titled "wronger than two boys..."

I set it up like that to test POI shift with and without the can.

jtskier11
11-25-08, 09:14
Thanks for the "kind" words... Anyway, local gun shop has 2 Aimpoint Comp M-XD's left covered in 3 inches of dust. How do those compare to what Aimpoint offers now? Will it suffice for what I want to do??

FJB
11-26-08, 03:20
jtskier,
The CompM-XD is still a good reliable sight. It might be worth purchasing if the price was right. Battery life is only about 1,000 hours if left on constantly, but if this is for use on a non-personal defense carbine and the price was very inexpensive then it will serve you well. You might be able to get both at a good price. Definitely get a good LT or ADM mount for it.

S/F

jtskier11
11-26-08, 07:21
jtskier,
The CompM-XD is still a good reliable sight. It might be worth purchasing if the price was right. Battery life is only about 1,000 hours if left on constantly, but if this is for use on a non-personal defense carbine and the price was very inexpensive then it will serve you well. You might be able to get both at a good price. Definitely get a good LT or ADM mount for it.

S/F

FJB

Good deal! I picked one up and my friend got the other for his new DPMS. $220 a pop didnt seem too bad. It has the QRP mount on it too but id really like to get a cantilever for it. I dont use this as a duty gun. Just a fun gun around my land and whatever else in between. Be a good starter red-dot for me and I can upgrade to an M4 or something fancoer if need be.

FJB
11-26-08, 14:59
jtskier,
$220 is a good price esp. with QRP mount. Just turn the dot off when you are not using it and the battery should last you several years. You really don't need a cantilever mount unless you intend to run a 3X magnifier behind it.

Like you stated at some point in the future you can upgrade and move that sight to a different rifle. Best of luck.

S/F

fabulous45s
11-29-08, 16:05
If you're dead set on a scope and you have a hook-up with Nikon, how about the 1.5-4.5x20 Ultra Wide?

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1948-218-nikon-15-45x20-monarch-ucc-shotgun-scope.aspx

jtskier11
12-05-08, 10:59
Mounted my CompM. Just needs sighted now. Other than that im pretty pleased with it. Quite a nice piece!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c26/jtskier11/IMG_0157.jpg

LettersFromEarth
12-05-08, 12:54
:) looks like a good start :)