PDA

View Full Version : Ideal optic for SAN SG751 SAPR 16"?

Danus ex
04-09-20, 16:52
Finally got my SG 751 out and up to speed. Even with its crude backup irons, my first ever 10 shot/200m group was among the best of my life with irons: all 10 in just under 4"! Subsequent 10-shot groups were in the 4-5" range unless I screwed up a shot.

Now it's time to pick the right optic. I'm primarily interested in using this gun as a "general shooting" replacement for my beloved M14s, shooting from 100 to 600 yards. It's light enough and short enough that it fits more into battle rifle territory. Even though it's likely to be stupid accurate once I try optics and some better ammunition, I don't want to spoil its lightness with 100 lbs of glass. My inclination is to use a red dot, but I suspect a European LPVO is probably the correct answer.

A quick note about me as a shooter: I'm a Garand/M14 and AK irons shooter just now learning optics with some Nikon and Primary Arms scopes on a few rimfires at 100 m. My core challenges so far have been:

The high offset of an optic relative to irons, even with a supposed "low" mount. Unlearning cheek weld is extremely difficult.
Small or fickle eyeboxes, especially at high magnification.

Things I already like about optics:

Seeing impacts reliably.
FFP>SFP.
MRAD—holy hell is this system easy and fun to use!

Other notes about the SAN 751 for the curious:

Runs great suppressed at the suppressed setting (1.2) with an Omega, sorta runs (bolt over base, classic overspeed) at the normal setting (1.7). Isn't very gassy in any setting.
At any setting, it recoils less than a G3 or M14, just a touch more than a well-built AR-10 or FAL.
Beats the absolute shit out of brass, rendering some cases unusable for reloading.

pointblank4445
04-09-20, 17:57
There's a killer deal on 8x S&B's at Euro. Kahles 8x's are coming out. The Steiner 8x's look pretty hot.

Euro or not, the 751 deserves a good optic.

JoshNC
04-10-20, 18:57
I think I would set it up with a S&B 5-20 Ultrashort, S&B 1-8 Short Dot, NF ATACR 1-8, NF ATACR 4-16, or NF NXS 2.5-10x24. These are of course different options depending on dual role carbine 0-600m vs predominantly 100-600m.