PDA

View Full Version : Break-Free CLP

Slater
04-10-20, 15:06
I've been using Break Free since it was introduced in the 1980's, and always had good results. Haven't bought any in a while, but I see that they've changed the labeling for the first time that I can remember:

https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/cleaning-components/cleaners-and-solvents/gun-lubricants-and-protectants/clp-cleaner-lubricant-and-preservative-15337.html#start=1

Occasionally I hear someone say that the old formulation was superior to the current one. Can't say that I've noticed, but has anyone else found this to be true?

BoringGuy45
04-10-20, 15:33
Depends on when the "new" formula came about. I used to use Break Free about 10-12 years ago, when I first got into shooting. I was never a huge fan of it; no matter what I used it on, it always made the action have a gritty feel, like it wasn't even lubed.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-10-20, 18:12
I transitioned all my guns to the SLIP family of cleaners and lubs. They clean better, I think they lubricate better. The wife doesn't complain about their smell and they don't stain stuff. I hate cleaning guns. The slip and the waterbased cleaners clean soooo much better. $0.02

ABNAK
04-10-20, 19:23
I transitioned all my guns to the SLIP family of cleaners and lubs. They clean better, I think they lubricate better. The wife doesn't complain about their smell and they don't stain stuff. I hate cleaning guns. The slip and the waterbased cleaners clean soooo much better. $0.02

Yeah, I'm a fan of the Slip2000 stuff, especially the ELW (don't use the ELW for cleaning, just lubing afterwards).

That said, I cut my teeth on Break Free when I was in the Army beaucoup years ago. I still use it for the cleaning portion, dry it off, and use EWL for the lubing part.

ramairthree
04-10-20, 19:35
I have opted out.

I open my cabinet and the first of the dozens of gun specific or vehicle appropriate products sitting there that will work I use.
Literally dozens of things I have tried in the past decades to see what works best.

They all work good enough.

When I’m out of CLP, I use the Breakfree, then the gun lube, then synthetic high end motor oil, then.......

StovePipe_Jammer
04-10-20, 19:36
Depends on when the "new" formula came about. I used to use Break Free about 10-12 years ago, when I first got into shooting. I was never a huge fan of it; no matter what I used it on, it always made the action have a gritty feel, like it wasn't even lubed.

Awesome to know I'm not the only one that thinks it gives everything a gritty feel. Almost like a bit of sand you missed somewhere in the action. I swapped to Slip a few years back and haven't felt the need to even try anything else.

soulezoo
04-10-20, 20:28
I did CLP through the 80s and moved on way back then. Slip 2000 for lubes. Other products for cleaning. Frankly, Mobil 1 is a better gun lube than CLP. Better cleaners out there too. CLP won't even touch a nice hard carbon ring.

Arik
04-10-20, 21:01
I use whatever,. Including CLP. They all feel the same to me

Slater
04-11-20, 08:59
Since there's Breakfree CLP (and LP) I'm not sure what the point of this is:

https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/cleaning-components/performance-synthetic-gun-oil-15732.html#start=1

04-11-20, 09:11
Since there's Breakfree CLP (and LP) I'm not sure what the point of this is:

https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/cleaning-components/performance-synthetic-gun-oil-15732.html#start=1

If you mix them all together you get synthetic-blend CLLLPP.

everready73
04-11-20, 09:54
I use the G96 CLP. I like it better than breakfree, seemed to work better in colder weather but I didn't officially test anything.

G96 brand is what the military uses now I believe

Belmont31R
04-11-20, 16:18
I have no idea why people would want to use an oil to clean an AR15. The mil uses it because one NSN that supposedly does multiple tasks is easier than supplying multiple products, and people have hours to clean one gun.

If you have other options CLP is near the bottom of products I'd use for either cleaning or lubing. I wouldn't have a problem using it to wipe off guns before storing them if you won't be shooting them for a long time but that's about it.

BoringGuy45
04-12-20, 09:02
I have no idea why people would want to use an oil to clean an AR15. The mil uses it because one NSN that supposedly does multiple tasks is easier than supplying multiple products, and people have hours to clean one gun.

If you have other options CLP is near the bottom of products I'd use for either cleaning or lubing. I wouldn't have a problem using it to wipe off guns before storing them if you won't be shooting them for a long time but that's about it.

That was actually the problem I had with the "wonder lubes" like FrogLube and Fireclean. Granted, both of them actually did work as advertised (at first) in keeping carbon from adhering to the metal in the first place. But once my guns got really dirty, they were only marginally effective in cleaning the caked on stuff. Plus, I also didn't like they they didn't work properly if you used any other products with them.

Esq.
04-12-20, 09:13
I have opted out.

I open my cabinet and the first of the dozens of gun specific or vehicle appropriate products sitting there that will work I use.
Literally dozens of things I have tried in the past decades to see what works best.

They all work good enough.

When I’m out of CLP, I use the Breakfree, then the gun lube, then synthetic high end motor oil, then.......

This is where I am. I dont think it makes that much difference honestly as long as the gun is wet, its gonna run...

Arik
04-12-20, 09:52

If you have other options CLP is near the bottom of products I'd use for either cleaning or lubing. I wouldn't have a problem using it to wipe off guns before storing them if you won't be shooting them for a long time but that's about it.How long is long?

Asking cause gun lube is something which I don't care about at all. So I grab the first thing on the shelf at the gun store m be it RemOil or CLP or whatever. I've taken classes with my ARs. I have never had any kind of issues with any firearm and some of them I won't clean until after several clases

Business_Casual
04-12-20, 13:05
FP-10 to lube and Hoppes to clean.

Slater
04-12-20, 13:15
Wasn't Ballistol supposedly the first CLP?

https://ballistol.com/about-us/

eightmillimeter
04-12-20, 14:09
Wasn't Ballistol supposedly the first CLP?

https://ballistol.com/about-us/

Ballistol is awesome. But it’s heavy on CP and no trace of L in it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-12-20, 14:54
have had good luck with every gun lube ever. Guns aren't that picky.

SomeOtherGuy
04-13-20, 09:04
Hey look, a lube thread!

Breakfree is like "What? Hey dude, you're STILL here? I thought you left decades ago!" If you want one mediocre product that half-heartedly does three things, go for it.

Like many, I've played "gun oil of the month club" and have the half-empty bottles to prove it. Here's the short version:
-almost anything works OK
-some of the latest and greatest are good, others not so much
-Breakfree is near the very bottom along with WD-40. Its successor FP-10 is maybe slightly better, but not great.
-Any modern motor oil or ATF (automatic transmission fluid, not .gov) will work fine.
-If you like spending $10-20 per 4oz, I would try SLIP2000, Lucas Oil - gun oil (either type, the older red is still good), or that ALG Defense Go-Juice. IMHO the only reason to spend on these is the claims of non-toxicity for SLIP and Go-Juice. The Lucas Oil does stay put without drying out longer than anything else I've tried, but SLIP is the next runner up. SLIP seems to last about 2 years on a stored AR.

tl;dr: buy a quart of motor oil or ATF in Walmart's automotive aisle and you're set for a decade or three.

SteyrAUG
04-13-20, 16:58
CLP is like rocket science to me, back in the 70s and 80s we were using WD40 and lubing with 4:1 oil.

Now it's CLP and if the bore has some build up then Hoppes.

Slater
04-13-20, 17:04
If you want a slightly heavier consistency, there's Breakfree's "LP", but I don't think it's that popular.

SteyrAUG
04-13-20, 17:51
-Any modern motor oil or ATF (automatic transmission fluid, not .gov) will work fine.

Doesn't it stink like burning oil when shooting?

jsbhike
04-13-20, 19:08
If I remember correctly, it had 1,1,1-Trichloroethane in it for awhile.