PDA

View Full Version : PVS-14 makes me feel crosseyed

wildcard600
04-10-20, 21:28
So I recently acquired a PVS-14 and have been practicing with it every night I have been able to. I'm having an issue where after about 10-15 minutes it feels like I start going cross eyed and I have trouble focusing on the image coming from the NOD. If I flip the NV up and take a break for a while i'm good for another 10 minutes or so before it starts happening again. I'm currently running it over my right eye (left handed) but I have the same results if I have it over my left eye as well.

If I cover or close my non-assisted eye while this is happening I am able to focus on the image again, but the crosseyed feeling returns instantly after uncovering my unaided eye unless I take a break.

Is this something that I will "get used to" after a while, or do I have something set up wrong and am causing the issue myself because of a gear setup problem ?

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

lahunter57
04-10-20, 22:33
Describe how you are focusing the PVS-14.

wildcard600
04-10-20, 22:42
Describe how you are focusing the PVS-14.

I've tried focusing the objective on a distant object (usually a big tree about 300 yards distant or the stars) and then fine tune the diopter. I've also tried tuning the diopter first by focusing the blems in the tube as crisply as possible and then focusing the objective to a distant object. Same results.

Am I doing it wrong ?

vicious_cb
04-10-20, 22:44
I've tried focusing the objective on a distant object (usually a big tree about 300 yards distant or the stars) and then fine tune the diopter. I've also tried tuning the diopter first by focusing the blems in the tube as crisply as possible and then focusing the objective to a distant object. Same results.

Am I doing it wrong ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoicMNCCMAU

wildcard600
04-10-20, 22:51

So mid focus objective (30ft), diopter and then focus to infinity ?

lahunter57
04-10-20, 22:55

Am I doing it wrong ?

This is coming straight from the ANVIS 6 -10 for reference.

First you will want to make sure the monocular is the correct distance from your eyes. Move the monocular towards your eye until you can positively identify the edges of the tube (crisp edge) and then move it away until the edge blurs slightly.

Turn the objective focus fully left as worn and set your diopter to 0. Look at a high contrast target at least 50m away (stars and trees are best). Turn objective focus to the right until you get a sharp image and continue rotating to the right until the image blurs slightly. Then rotate left until you get the sharpest image and stop. Turn the diopter left until the image blurs slightly. Now turn the diopter to the right until you obtain the first clear image.

lahunter57
04-10-20, 23:03

Not saying this guy is wrong...but you should not be closing your eyes at all. The -10 specifically says to cover the tube
you are not focusing. Closing your eye is going to cause some strain on the other.

wildcard600
04-10-20, 23:28
This is coming straight from the ANVIS 6 -10 for reference.

First you will want to make sure the monocular is the correct distance from your eyes. Move the monocular towards your eye until you can positively identify the edges of the tube (crisp edge) and then move it away until the edge blurs slightly.

Turn the objective focus fully left as worn and set your diopter to 0. Look at a high contrast target at least 50m away (stars and trees are best). Turn objective focus to the right until you get a sharp image and continue rotating to the right until the image blurs slightly. Then rotate left until you get the sharpest image and stop. Turn the diopter left until the image blurs slightly. Now turn the diopter to the right until you obtain the first clear image.

Done. I actually ended up moving the monocular closer to my eye than I previously had it. Using this focus method I had no change in results.

Moving to a slightly more illuminated area and using my phokus hoplite focusing cover (or the daylight filter in my dim house) seems to really help and I didn't have any issues at all. That would seem to indicate the problem is in fact a focus issue, unless the area being brighter is just giving more information to my unaided eye and isn't making my brain try and look both eyeballs through the monocular.

lahunter57
04-11-20, 07:51
It does take some getting used to. Maybe try adjusting your gain. It could be too high and it’s just over powering your brains ability to reject the non aided eye.

crossgun
04-11-20, 17:18
Do exactly what Chuck says in the video for dual tubes and with 14. Far, near and far again. You close your eye because your correcting the image to your eye just like with glasses or binos. You dont want the lens close or up against your eye. Two fingers or more as a guide. Dont get caught in the tube, in other words look through the tube but dont live in it. You want the tube away from the eye so you can look outside the tube when you have to. Think peripheral vision. If your using the rubber eye cup, loose it!

As mentioned turn the gain down. Everyone want to run it way to high thinking brighter image is better. Run it up till you get the contrast you seek not the brightest image. Running it low will also help your unaided eye experience less fatigue and help in sending the brain similar information.