PDA

View Full Version : Primary Weapons System PWS, Pro line

Neville
04-11-20, 04:31
Looking hard at a PWS MK109 Pro Upper, 300 BLK for 100% suppressed use.
Aaron Cowan / Sage Dynamics seems to recommend them highly.
Any inputs, reviews, opinions? Thanks!!

04-11-20, 05:11
I think Cowan said he is sponsored by them; I would hope that wouldn’t color his opinion, but I don’t know. I have a buddy I shoot with about 3 times a month that has a PWS 14.5” piston 5.56 upper. He had to swap in a Colt extractor and ejector spring for it to run well, but its done good since. It shoots and handles nicely with a soft recoil impulse. Softer than most of my guns, in fact. The gas adjustment is quick and easy to use, and functional. When we started shooting together, he had no suppressor, now has a Chimera that he uses all the time. Gun doesn’t seem to mind. He has a range on his ranch. Shoots a lot, hates to clean a gun.

For at least like 10 years or so, I’ve thought pistons are gimmicky. But, other than the extractor/ejector springs, his upper seems to represent a maturity of the concept.

MQ105
04-11-20, 08:42
What barrel length is that? The PWS website does not list it. I'm guessing 10"? Anyway, I prefer a 6.75-7.5" barrel in 300 with a silencer. This lets you take advantage of one of the 300s best benefits: shorter OAL than 5.56. Also, if you're going to shoot heavy subs, I suggest a barrel in a tighter twist than 1:8.

Hank6046
04-13-20, 12:50
I own a PWS upper from 2014, and I love it. I do have to say that what instantly turned me off of the PRO line was the 416 SS barrels. I know that 416R SS is commonly used in accurate rifles, but I also believes it lasts much longer and is less trouble prone than regular 416. I am sure that someone else on here can go more into detail into this.

Bluto
04-13-20, 16:54
I bought 2 PWS SBR's years ago. A 10.5" and a week afterwards a 7.5". Both 5.56. The quality is definitely there for the price. I quickly realized that where PWS shines is in the shorter barrel lengths, to the point where I just never used the 10.5" and am letting the upper go. I shoot the 7.5" 100% suppressed with a silencerco saker and it's a great toy.

It looks like the 300blk is a 9.75". Seems a bit longer than necessary for 300blk... https://www.primaryweapons.com/mk109-pro-upper