PDA

View Full Version : Mouse in the house

yoni
04-12-20, 12:09
I have a mouse in my kitchen, I have sticky pads everywhere.

But this SOB, is smart.

How can I get this guy dead right now?

Will airsoft kill a mouse? If yes then I will guy and airsoft and light him up.

Dennis
04-12-20, 12:23
In my limited experience only a perfect Airsoft head hit might stun a mouse. However Airsoft BBs will definitely slightly dent drywall and even wooden kitchen cabinets. Starts being noticeable after firing full auto with a 200rd magazine. Ask me how I know...

I plugged in a few ultrasonics as well as traps in my garage for a rat and he never came back.

Dennis.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-12-20, 12:42
Peanut butter....

Bucket and gravity trap.

https://images.app.goo.gl/pRGsACPtSfJ91BWE9

mark5pt56
04-12-20, 12:44
Get the old school traps and make an array of at least 5 with peanut butter on the underside of the bait/trip bar. Just watch your fingers setting them up! I put them in a box, oneway in. This was at our old house and worked all of the time for those pesky field mice. I would see 1-3 at times tripped but the little f'er was in the other one.

Wildcat
04-12-20, 13:00
Get the old school traps and make an array of at least 5 with peanut butter on the underside of the bait/trip bar. Just watch your fingers setting them up! I put them in a box, oneway in. This was at our old house and worked all of the time for those pesky field mice. I would see 1-3 at times tripped but the little f'er was in the other one.

Good baiting strategy. Some people also jam a raisin onto the bait spike, then applying the PB, because the peanut butter alone can be licked off by the varmint but the raisin must encourage the rodent to try chewing at it.

I have also often (slightly) adjusted the metal bait bar to improve trigger sensitivity.
Don't adjust it unless the bait is disappearing without the trap being triggered.

First adjustment usually results in a trap that can't be kept set (so watch your fingers). Then when you can actually position the trap without it firing.

flenna
04-12-20, 13:10
These work great in the kitchen with a no mess clean up. Use peanut butter for bait.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Victor-Quick-Set-Mouse-Trap-2-Traps-M137/304601247

jsbhike
04-12-20, 13:23

This (the peanut butter) plus tie a little strip of cloth to the trigger for the PB to soak in to. Mouse can't just lick it off so when it starts tugging it will trip the trigger.

fedupflyer
04-12-20, 13:25
About 2 months ago I was having the same problem.
I put out several of those sticky pads and one old school trap with peanut butter.
Guess which one worked? Yup, the peanut butter.

KUSA
04-12-20, 13:49
This (the peanut butter) plus tie a little strip of cloth to the trigger for the PB to soak in to. Mouse can't just lick it off so when it starts tugging it will trip the trigger.

Very true. A small piece of bread rolled up in a hard ball works great too.

Mice love some peanut butter.

fledge
04-12-20, 14:30
I put 7 traps out last week in various places. One caught a mouse. The other 6 licked clean of peanut butter. Good to see some “mods” to apply the bait.

hickuleas
04-12-20, 15:15
Find a pot seed and glue it to trap it will last for several mice. Friend of mine has been using this method for years with great success.

mark5pt56
04-12-20, 16:00
Of course when Was a young punk, the rental house had a few holes in the baseboard from .22's

thopkins22
04-12-20, 16:19
Dog food draws mice effectively. The rat zapper is a hell of a lot of fun, and works effectively. In fact when I had a problem I would no when it had succeeded because the zapping would wake me up.

Also, clean up couldn't be easier.

Straight Shooter
04-12-20, 16:37
RAT SHOT! CCI makes a good load. Once I shot a lizard than ran into the house & went under the washer/dryer. I had an old crimped style round of rat shot I put into my 10/22, got behind a corner, aimed in, and waited. Fifteen or so minutes, he poked his head out- POP. Killed him deader than 5:00 o'clock. Just barely nicked a flake or two off paint of the dryer.

telecustom
04-12-20, 16:46
I have killed several mice with an airsoft. It’s an option. But you might be waiting around for a while.

utahjeepr
04-12-20, 19:37
If you have seen one, you have several. Years ago I saw a mouse in my garage, set out traps with peanut butter. For a while I was often getting 2 for 1 in the traps. I believe I ended up at 17.

GH41
04-12-20, 19:47
A cat will work pretty good.

jsbhike
04-12-20, 19:47
RAT SHOT! CCI makes a good load. Once I shot a lizard than ran into the house & went under the washer/dryer. I had an old crimped style round of rat shot I put into my 10/22, got behind a corner, aimed in, and waited. Fifteen or so minutes, he poked his head out- POP. Killed him deader than 5:00 o'clock. Just barely nicked a flake or two off paint of the dryer.

Don't try this with the centerfire versions! :eek:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-12-20, 20:01
Sticky traps with peanut butter in the middle to start. Shore up the entry points with steel wool, and put the small Tomcat bait stations around the outside of the home.

The_War_Wagon
04-12-20, 21:44
Maine Coon cat.

They're DEVASTATING to mice. Toonces here caught 3 in our basement a couple of years ago we didn't even know we had!

https://i.ibb.co/dWqKss4/100-6063.jpg

He LOVES going down there to look, but hasn't found any since!

m1a_scoutguy
04-12-20, 21:56
I put 7 traps out last week in various places. One caught a mouse. The other 6 licked clean of peanut butter. Good to see some “mods” to apply the bait.

Dam critters, I get them also during Winter months. Anyways I always buy Crunchy PB and I always push a nut underneath the area that you put the bait on. I still get traps tripped at times but this seems to help a lot cuz there doing all they can to get the last bit out!

vandal5
04-13-20, 05:26
We have two cats that keep the main part of the house pretty well mice free. Or they will catch it and either kill it or bring it to us. A few times they cornered it and I was abke to catch it from there either in a glass or box and toss it vack outside.

Mostly though I just use the old snap traps with peanut butter, crunchy if we have it. Sends them off with a good last meal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yoni
04-13-20, 05:30
Thank You everyone.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and checked, sure enough the SOB was on the corner of the stove chewing up aluminum foil. I put 2 baited sticky pads on each side of the stove. This morning nothing.

If I got a cat, then I would be in bad shape since I have a strong allergy to cats.

JediGuy
04-13-20, 06:56
Maybe borrow a cat or something? Seriously, we grew up in the sticks; moles, mice, everything tried to get into our basement (and succeeded). Our cat took care of business and had fun doing it.

On the other hand, we got a bats inside our house beginning a couple weeks ago. Two more-sedentary cats were super attentive, but didn’t go in for the kill when they had the chance. Not sure what was up with that. On a side note, ER visits and rabies vaccine series for five people is no joke. Glad I sold a car.

Ned Christiansen
04-13-20, 06:58
The bucket trap is a no-joke, surefire thing, we use it at camp. Best thing is when you don't come back for some time, all them tiny cadavers is in one place, not a bunch of spread-out traps or fur-covered rotting skeletons due to poison. Take the bucket out, dump, and hey it actually applies here, "rinse and repeat".

I had a great Siamese Mouser years ago. I knew he was onto something when he made this funny howl that sounded like he was calling, "MOUssssse........ MOUUUUsssssse." One evening we teamed up on a mouse he'd caught that he let go and it got into a La-Z-Boy. We turned it over and working together we got the little devil.

I went in the outhouse at camp one time and there was one in there. I shot him with a .45 (200 gr. HP, "adequate"). The front half of him stock to the end of a piece of firewood neat as can be, as if he'd been expertly mounted. Wish I'd had a camerta handy.

yoni
04-13-20, 07:49
Any one ever had success with the ultra sound devices to repeal mice?

jsbhike
04-13-20, 08:30
Thank You everyone.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and checked, sure enough the SOB was on the corner of the stove chewing up aluminum foil. I put 2 baited sticky pads on each side of the stove. This morning nothing.

If I got a cat, then I would be in bad shape since I have a strong allergy to cats.

Just wear the covid respirator full time ;)

diving dave
04-13-20, 09:56
Ordered some of the "rat zappers" off Amazon and baited them with a small cup of peanut butter in the back. Worked great. Plus its fun to know they are getting fried :cool:

Wildcat
04-14-20, 15:07
I went in the outhouse at camp one time and there was one in there. I shot him with a .45 (200 gr. HP, "adequate"). The front half of him stock to the end of a piece of firewood neat as can be, as if he'd been expertly mounted. Wish I'd had a camerta handy.

Stopping power of the 45! :haha:

flenna
04-14-20, 19:00
Stopping power of the 45! :haha:

What he didn't say was that he missed the mouse by a foot but the shockwave from the .45 still blew him in half.

hotrodder636
04-14-20, 19:34
Another vote here for the old school snap-traps. A dab of peanut butter with a small chunk of bacon on top.

Had one in the kitchen a couple years ago during a really wet season. Saw the turds one day, the next day he was dead.

GH41
04-14-20, 19:35
Maine Coon cat.

They're DEVASTATING to mice. Toonces here caught 3 in our basement a couple of years ago we didn't even know we had!

https://i.ibb.co/dWqKss4/100-6063.jpg

He LOVES going down there to look, but hasn't found any since!

We have a little Maine Coon that looks a lot like yours but a gnat is big game to her. This is the cat you need. At 22 pounds he is all man! For perspective my wife is 5-8.
https://i.imgur.com/6Kp5oYk.jpg

SilverBullet432
04-14-20, 22:26
I had a lil’ bastid sneak up through my attic’s AC drain line. A sticky trap solved the problem instantly. My cat actually alerted us to it as she kept staring at the ceiling. A quick breather filter mod on the drain line snorkel sealed it off so no more critters in there!

yoni
04-15-20, 23:05
I was sitting at the dinning room table drinking coffee this morning I caught motion out of the corner of my eye and the mouse popped out behind the china cabinet. I fast grabbed 2 sticky pads and put them down at the back of the cabinet. While I was adjusting one of the pads, I heard the mouse squeaking. I looked at the second pad and he was trapped, a junk mail envelope on top of him followed by me stepping on him, I hope put an end to this.

Thanks for all the help.

ThirdWatcher
04-16-20, 06:20
My oldest daughter left her (two) cats when she enlisted in the Army. After her hitch ended she went into the Reserves and I returned her cats to her. We’d never had a problem with rodents until we didn’t have a cat around. I set traps for them but that got old so my wife adopted a kitten from the Animal Shelter. He was pretty wild at first but that boy can hunt. He’s a lot tamer now but he still patrols the house regularly (just about hourly). The word must have gotten out because I haven't seen any evidence of any rodents for quite awhile. I’m allergic to cats too but I take a pill for that so it’s manageable (and better that dealing with filthy rodents).

mark5pt56
04-16-20, 06:51
This was shaking up to be a Caddy Shack sequel!

1_click_off
04-16-20, 07:25
Rodents have poor eyesight and run along wall’s to help guide and offer some protection. Do they shoot out in the open, sure, but mostly going to hug close to something. So place your baits close to the wall. They need water at some point, older fridges used to be a great place for this. The condensate off the lines would provide enough for them especially if you live in a humid climate and the drip tray has water. So this is another good place to position traps.

I bought some ultrasonics that pulse different Fq for my shop. Think they can be set to stay on a certain Fq if one can hear certain Fq. I put 2 in a 30x50 shop and have not seen signs of any activity since. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0848SZLWZ/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alpha-17
04-16-20, 08:14
I'll be another voice suggesting a cat. I understand the allergies issue, but if at all possible, a cat is the best rodent removal investment for the long term. I've had cats all my life, with the only interruption due to the military. Since I've been out, I've had at least two. The only rodent issue I had was during a particularly sudden and bad cold snap a few years back, when we could hear several mice moving in the walls. It didn't last long, because as soon as they came out for food it was game over for them. I just imagine it was like the scene from Tremors, "Broke into the wrong rec room!" It was actually funny watching one of my cats, a thin, frail long-haired white cat that looks pampered enough to be in a Fancy Feast commercial go full-on "hunter-killer" mode and try to murder every mouse he found.

Oh, and cats aren't just good when dealing with mice. My new house has had some issues with bats, and both times my cats have been on 'em before we knew there was a problem, quite literally. Poor things never had a chance, with the cats lined up to take turns beating the crap out of the poor winged rats.