PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Criterion’s New Core Barrels?

No Bananas
04-12-20, 23:13
Criterion’s New Core Barrels (https://criterionbarrels.com/product-category/ar-15/223-5-56/core-series/)

Any thoughts (or experiences) with these. They start heavy and have a constant taper.

Coal Dragger
04-13-20, 05:39
The profiles look good, I would prefer a 1-7” twist but only because I shoot some copper solids that don’t get along well with any slower twist. I’d also prefer a 5.56mm NATO chamber and throat, but I’m pretty oriented towards function first accuracy second.

Otherwise specs look good, probably a very nice barrel.

Furbyballer
04-13-20, 07:10
These barrels are awesome. I have purchased 2 so far but haven't been able to group any of them due to all my ranges around me are currently closed. Their gas ports are sized to run primarily suppressed but will work with quality 556 and 223 un-suppressed. Check out the other thread that is like 10 pages long asking about 12.5" barrels.

CoGT3
04-14-20, 10:19
I am having Citizen Arms build be an upper around a 12.5" CORE barrel. Jumped in line this January before the details where completely available on the CORE barrels but we decided it should be a good option based his discussions with Criterion. When I saw the first pics I thought it was going to end up weighing more than what you are seeing. I guess it really tapers in the last 1/2. If you look through Criterion's website every length is lighter than the other profiles they make of the same length. Also in line to do another upper with a 13.9" CORE barrel pinned. I had asked one of the Criterion guys on IG if they would eventually do 18 and 20" barrels in the their SS/Nitride combo and they suspect so eventually. But he also said he had a 18" test barrel that was getting 1/4" MOA groups with developed hand loads. Pretty amazing for chrome lined chromoly barrel (and Citizen Arms echoed their comment). Must be something to barrel harmonics they mentioned with the taper profile.

Jonnyt16
04-14-20, 23:13
Mine just arrived a few days ago. I ordered a 14.5" CORE (as well as a BCM BCG that they headspaced) for a "quarantine build" I'm working on. Its going in a Vltor MUR receiver but I haven't installed it yet, waiting on my handguard.

They are pretty good guys over there at Criterion. If you email them with any questions Michael Ross will usually get back to you very promptly with in-depth answers. Shipping was also very quick.

https://i.imgur.com/NBIIRT9.jpg?1