PDA

View Full Version : Next AR....BCM 14.5" or "Other"

acaixguard
04-16-20, 02:02
I am looking to possibly pick up a 2nd AR in the near future. Currently I have a DD, which has since been modified with a new BCM KMR rail, and LW barrel cut down to 14.5" with the BCM comp pinned on it to bring it 16". Eyeing a 2nd AR platform weapon, primarily since 2 is 1, and 1 is none.

I also need to add that I am in NJ, so anything that is a "rifle" must be NJ compliant. Which means the above weapon I have has the stock pinned in position.

For a second setup, I am leaning towards having an MLok rail.

I am eyeing this BCM model.
https://www.gandrtactical.com/BCM-MK2-RECCE-14-BFH-ELW-MCMR-13-MLOK_p_1411.html
I would have to have my FFL pin the stock. Obviously a solid model, but would it be too similar to what I have now?

The other option I am considering is an "Other" firearm. In NJ, we have limited options, such as Troy, LWRC. A NJ company called Modern Materiel also produces NJ compliant weapons, and from what I hear, they make a solid product. I am considering this one, which is completely NJ legal without having to do any modifications (flash hider, collapsible brace allowed)...
https://modernmateriel.com/product/modmat-wartime-sbf/

This "Other" add some diversity to what I have now and be a fun one to have. Probably good for home defense due to the more compact size. However, it doesn't have the track record that BCM seems to enjoy.

Any suggestions as to which one I should go for? Thanks in advance!

Buncheong
04-16-20, 03:34
Centurion Arms.

kyjd75
04-16-20, 09:43
Centurion Arms.

What he said.

Stickman
04-16-20, 10:57
What he said.

He did say the magic words....

aap3535
04-16-20, 11:20
Followed this thought process and ordered a 12.5 from Centurion Arms yesterday. +1 for that suggestion

acaixguard
04-16-20, 11:38
Thanks for the suggestions. I need to make sure the CA is NJ legal

everready73
04-16-20, 11:41
Thanks for the suggestions. I need to make sure the CA is NJ legal

Call Centurion. They will build it compliant for you. Sons of lIberty probably could too, but might be a longer lead time

opngrnd
04-16-20, 11:41
I'd pare it down to the 5 or so manufacturers that make the best rifles you can afford. Then by who is taking orders at the moment. Then by most accurate within its class. So...Centurion Arms is a great choice.

runningbear762
04-21-20, 21:57
Sionics probably could make anything you want too

opngrnd
04-21-20, 22:02
Now that they are taking orders again, I'd lean towards Sionics. I emailed them over the weekend, they emailed me back Monday, and we spoke on the phone Monday afternoon. I'm looking forward to a FSB build they are setting up for me.

VLODPG
04-22-20, 06:44
The shop I work at in CT sells complete BCM 12.5" & 14"5" others. I have a Troy "Other" that I'm selling to get the BCM for myself!