PDA

View Full Version : For a friend, who makes the best Budget AR uppers?

Pappabear
04-16-20, 13:18
Like I said, I have a friend that wants to buy a budget build (upper) without getting total crap. I pushed him to BCM, but he might not bite. I seem to remember PSA but not sure. I know this has been covered a million times but I quit reading about AR's as of late.

Mucho Garseeus.

PB

Buncheong
04-16-20, 13:34
Like I said, I have a friend that wants to buy a budget build (upper) without getting total crap. I pushed him to BCM, but he might not bite. I seem to remember PSA but not sure. I know this has been covered a million times but I quit reading about AR's as of late.

Mucho Garseeus.

PB

There have been some good local deals in Phoenix/the valley area on Colt uppers. Take-offs and a couple in the blue & white box. Crossroads was supposed to be 25-26 April but has been postponed... :(

Wake27
04-16-20, 13:36
I would do PSA if price is really a concern. They're doing free shipping on all uppers and build kits I believe, though there are reports of everything being $20-40 cheaper the day before free shipping kicked in... Either way, I have whatever their cheapest 16" upper is with a fixed FSP that I got for $200 including BCG and CH. I replaced the CH with a BCM and the BCG with one of their premium BCGs and its currently at 1,170 rounds, steel and brass. Just as good as? Probably not. But I'm not at all mad that it was sub $300 and is still chugging along without an issue. If he signs up for Active Junky (http://www.activejunky.com/invite/1726388) he'll get 2% cash back as well.

I think the cheapest quality upper I've found is the BCM Kino that can be found on Primary Arms and maybe some other places for about $450, but needs handgaurds, BCG, CH, rear sight, and pistol lower to be funcitonal.

vandal5
04-16-20, 14:19

Mucho Garseeus.

PBWhat is MarkM too embarrassed to post this himself?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hank6046
04-16-20, 14:41
Aero possibly...

flenna
04-16-20, 14:58
I picked up a 10.5 upper from Ballistic Advantage on a BF sale for $235 shipped because I wanted to test the AR pistol waters. I have been pleasantly surprised with it- about 600-700 rounds down the tube so far with nary a hiccup.

26 Inf
04-16-20, 17:42
Is he a good enough friend you'd build it for him?

Nothing earth shaking, my recipe for in-expensive and durable:

BCM Blem Upper

Green Mountain Barrel (unless something on sale jumps out at me)

ALG Defense model Geissele Super Gas Block

ALG or LaRue tube

If you want an ambi charging handle I've had good luck finding radians on sale.

Otherwise, I'd wait for a PSA stainless mid-length to go on sale. I bought one about 3 years ago for under 200.00 w/o BCG and CH. Good shooter, it's my fixed sight play toy.

Texas Sob
04-16-20, 18:34
poverty psa, next lvl up spikes, ba, aero

Jake03
04-16-20, 19:55
You really can't go wrong with PSA for a budget build. I have bought a handful of on sale/blem uppers from them and they have all run great.

Norman
04-16-20, 21:56
I have an Aero Precision upper that I’ve been very pleased with. I would definitely buy from them again.

Stickman
04-16-20, 22:15

Mucho Garseeus.

PB

PSA may fit the bill, or their QC could be a total catastrophe yet again and your friend could get screwed. The problem with PSA is they are all over the map between bragging about greatness, and selling bottom of the barrel all at the same time. I really do hate to pile on them each time a thread comes up, but too many people I personally know have had to rely on weapons I’ve recommended. I will not ever recommend something I wouldn’t use and trust myself.

If I can ask, what is wrong with the upper or AR that he or she has currently? Would the money be better spent fixing things? I’m assuming that they have a complete weapon as they are just looking for an upper. I understand I could be way off base.

Jonnyt16
04-17-20, 00:36
I know they are not very much liked here on this forum but I would maybe consider Stag Arms. I've had two complete rifles from them throughout my days and they were both shooters. Never had a problem.

Also Windham Weaponry. My friend/coworker has been running the dogsh*t out of one for a long time now and that thing has performed great.

I would trust Stag and Windham over PSA 10 times out of 10.

robbins290
04-17-20, 06:16
I have a few PSA range toys. So far they are flawless. For $400 or less, they cant not be beat.

grizzlygunner999
04-17-20, 06:36
I have had good luck with DS Arms

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

opngrnd
04-17-20, 06:54
I think Ballistic Advantage would be a good choice on a budget.

everready73
04-17-20, 11:31
What is his price range?

I have seen the midwest uppers around $400 or so on sale at times

I have seen Sionics uppers at Primary arms on sale for good prices as well. Theya re out of stock now but get them in

Building will prob be the way to get the best value if you can catch some sales

BCM Blem Upper- $60
Sionics Barrel - $180
GB/tube $40
Larue LAT rail $130

Thats $410 for something that will be good quality. You could save 30 or so bucks if you went with green mountain, BA, or Roscoe barrel, but i really like the Sionics lightweight as it is a good profile and gassed correctly. Also chrome lined which i prefer over nitride

masenomics
04-17-20, 11:53
Aero precision
Ballistic advantage
Sons of liberty gunworks
Sionics

opngrnd
04-17-20, 13:26
What is his price range?

I have seen the midwest uppers around $400 or so on sale at times

I have seen Sionics uppers at Primary arms on sale for good prices as well. Theya re out of stock now but get them in

Building will prob be the way to get the best value if you can catch some sales

BCM Blem Upper- $60
Sionics Barrel - $180
GB/tube $40
Larue LAT rail $130

Thats $410 for something that will be good quality. You could save 30 or so bucks if you went with green mountain, BA, or Roscoe barrel, but i really like the Sionics lightweight as it is a good profile and gassed correctly. Also chrome lined which i prefer over nitride

This is an excellent budget build plan. I generally recommend the LW Sionics barrel as a general use barrel. Everyone I have put hands on has been very accurate for a LW barrel, they are chrome lined, and gassed properly.

MistWolf
04-17-20, 13:41

Mucho Garseeus.

PB

Define budget. A good upper would use a BCM blem receiver, BRT barrel assembly, a BCG of acceptable quality and personal preference in handguards & charging handle. I don't know if those parts will fit within the budget requirements.

If budget means "as inexpensive as possible" I would suggest something from PSA with the following caveats-
- Replace the extractor spring. PSA extractor springs are marginal at best and only get worse with each shot. Install a Colt or Sprinco M4 spring right out the gate
- The barrel is likely to be over gassed. Be ready to spend money on an SLR adjustable gas block, BRT micro port or BRT EZ Tune gas tube
- Precision with PSA is inconsistent from barrel to barrel. Some shoot lights out. Some leave a few lights on with nobody home
- Don't waste your time with carbine weight buffers (all steel weights). They're just too light. Start off with an H, or better still, H2

I suggest PSA for "as inexpensive as possible" because I've had enough experience with them that I know what to look for when I buy and what I'm going to have to fix. Once the issues are addressed, they keep running- but that's true of nearly all ARs.

justin_247
04-17-20, 14:17
Aero Precision 16" M4 upper - $269
https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-precision-ar15-16in-5-56-complete-upper-receiver-with-pinned-fsb-m4-h-ibgcg.html

The middy version is $277.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-precision-ar15-16in-5-56-complete-upper-receiver-with-pinned-fsb-m4-handgua.html

Add a Toolcraft BCG and an OEM charging handle - $108
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Toolcraft-Black-Nitride-Bolt-Carrier-Group-AR15-M-p/tool-tooauto-011bn.htm
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBobOutfitters-Charging-Handle-p/jb-ch.htm

$377 or so total. Not bad.

MrGunsnGear did a review of an Aero rifle, and had good things to say about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4AMdu9CeRs

Pappabear
04-17-20, 20:04
Just to be clear, I told him to buy a BCM, but he was wondering around CDNN and I said I'm not sure about that garbage, but if you want to be in that price range, let me increase your odds if that is even possible.

I have led the horse to water...Mods can kill this thread now. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies.

PB

tlw613sp
04-17-20, 21:10
BCM Blem Upper - $60
Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel w/ pinned gas block - $210 from BA. Spicetac has them for ~$180. Add a gas tube with the order for another ~$15.
Centurion BCG - $120
BCM Handguard from Righttobear - ~$170
Charging handle from any of those sites - $15-$80 (Spicetac has decent prices on Radian Raptors)

This is what I'm doing.