PDA

View Full Version : HBAR to comply with MD laws

JediGuy
04-18-20, 15:04
Asking for a friend.

What’s the lightest 14.5” or 16” HBAR-designated/described rifle or upper that can be had?

Friend wants a rifle for HD in Maryland. He is not a gun person and is leaning toward a M&P15-22, but I’d would like to provide a more appropriate option for HD. I don’t know much of anything about MD law, nor have I ever sought out a barrel stamped “HBAR.”

gigawatt
04-18-20, 15:12
Check out Faxon. I have one of their fluted heavy barrels that I have been happy with. Colt socom barrels are good to go here in MD as well.

Slater
04-18-20, 15:13
Not familiar with Maryland law, but what bearing does the thickness of the barrel have on legality?

JediGuy
04-18-20, 15:19
Slater, new transferred AR’s are illegal unless it is a “HBAR,” thus reasonable for “sporting purposes.” That’s my basic understanding, I don’t live there. Stupid law, obviously.

Clint
04-18-20, 17:00
It just needs to be marked HBAR.

We've done this on our MPR barrels before for MD customers.

JediGuy
04-18-20, 17:15

That’s great info, Clint, I didn’t know you could do that. I’ll see what he’s thinking, but I’d definitely put an upper from you guys at the top of any list.

flenna
04-18-20, 17:28
Colt 6721 if you can find one.

95fordfleetside
02-28-21, 05:18
Old thread, but centurion will mark barrels hbar for you, and they're similar price to other quality barrels, more more then faxon, but less the dd and the like

The_War_Wagon
02-28-21, 06:45
I thought 20rd mags were the only "AR limits" in the People's Democratic Republic of?

SFree
03-01-21, 06:10
A rifle that has a moving van attached to it...

titsonritz
03-01-21, 15:07
That’s great info, Clint, I didn’t know you could do that. I’ll see what he’s thinking, but I’d definitely put an upper from you guys at the top of any list.

Centurion does as well.

556er
03-22-21, 17:06
Doesn’t get much better than this.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/14-5-m4-socom-barrel-assembly-with-sight-tower-prod71337.aspx?avs%7cCartridge_1=AKK_5xzzx56%2bmm%2bNATO

For reference:

m4hk33
04-01-21, 05:36

This, I Lived in MD for 8 years before moving to VA last year. HBAR is not defined in state code so the best that the MSP can tell you is marked or advertised as a heavy barrel. With that being said, its not really enforced outside of gunshops as its pretty much unenforceable for a number of reasons.

Prebans were grandfathererd
Does not apply to AR pistols
Does not apply to SBR's
Does not apply to piston AR's
Does not apply to non 556 guns like 6.5/6.3/300blk
Does not apply to non TDP guns like LMT MRP's and KAC SR15's
Does not apply to Large frame AR's

Personally speak, I always shot at public ranges and never once heard of somebodies AR being questioned. MDshooters has been in a full blown panic since it past in regards to what is an hbar/

In reality, for as shitty as MD was, nobody really cares about guns outside of Baltimore and PG county.