PDA

View Full Version : Covid 19: Who is Fact Check The Fact Checkers?

WillBrink
04-19-20, 12:57
An article I just put up on Medium RE, a recent experience where my post on FB about Covid was labelled by the fact checkers as containing false info.

Covid 19: Who is Fact Check The Fact Checkers?

Facebook, not unlike other social media platforms, has employed an army of “Independent “ fact checkers to counter information being posted that may not be entirely accurate. As there’s a plethora of blatantly false conspiracy theories going around that are highly unproductive to this pandemic, attempting to counter them is laudable, parsing out truth from fiction is not always clear however. All well and good, but who is fact checking the fact checkers and is this not just potentially another form of censorship for unpopular points of view on a highly complex topic?

Cont:

https://medium.com/@willbrink/covid-19-who-is-fact-checking-the-fact-checkers-c1fb4ef96773

ABNAK
04-19-20, 12:59
I say we nominate Snopes to be the final word. :rolleyes:

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-19-20, 13:00
CNN’s fact checking of Trump has been laughable. The way he talks is use of language allows them to say basically anything he says is either partially false or not entirely true. with the idea that Maurer is more, they have headlines like 50 things wrong with Trump said today. The problem is that most of those are judgment calls. It would be far better off concentrating on one thing that he says that is consequential and incorrect, rather than inconsequential and open to interpretation.

My dad sold mainframe computers back in the 80s and 90s. When the Internet started out in the 90s, one of his first comments was “who’s gonna fact checked all this stuff? Anybody can post anything they want, and they can be seen by anyone anytime anywhere.”.

Honu
04-19-20, 14:32
this also

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020/04/18/new-york-post-erroneous-facebook-fact-check-relied-on-professor-with-ties-to-wuhan-lab/

The New York Post’s editorial board has penned a scathing article about Facebook’s fact-checking operations, revealing that an erroneous fact check performed on one of the newspaper’s opinion pieces about the origins of the Chinese virus relied on information from a professor who has conducted projects with the Wuhan Institute of Virology.