PDA

View Full Version : Best Mount for a Razor HD 1-10x?

Mitu
04-21-20, 20:23
First time LPVO owner here looking for mount recommendations. Dizzying array of options out there so hoping y'all can help me narrow them down. Also trying to understand how much eye relief I need (I dont shoot NTCH if that helps). Any suggestions?

JoshNC
04-21-20, 20:49
Geissele, Spuhr, NF, to name a few. On what rifle will this be used? Depending on your answer, you’ll either need some cantilever or you won’t. You preferably want a 0 moa mount for a 1-x optic.

“Best” is very user specific. Sometimes you just need to buy, try, revise if not completely happy. I started out with a K16i in a G 1.47 mount, but realized I wanted a taller mount and swapped to the G 2.04 mount. Often you don’t know what you need until you try it.

Mitu
04-21-20, 20:57
Geissele, Spuhr, NF, to name a few. On what rifle will this be used? Depending on your answer, you’ll either need some cantilever or you won’t. You preferably want a 0 moa mount for a 1-x optic.

“Best” is very user specific. Sometimes you just need to buy, try, revise if not completely happy. I started out with a K16i in a G 1.47 mount, but realized I wanted a taller mount and swapped to the G 2.04 mount. Often you don’t know what you need until you try it.

Thanks, that's super helpful. This is going on a 16" LW AR. Heard great things about the Scalarworks LEAP, but it doesn't appear to have much cantilever.

Wake27
04-21-20, 21:16
I love the Badger C1 in 1.7” (lower 1/3) height. That’s what I have my 1-6 Razor in and will put the 1-10 in whenever I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggy
04-21-20, 22:58
The Badger C1 was my choice also. Get the height that works for you (personal preference). For my 16.9 ounce Kahles K16i LPV, I had the 1.930 height first , then the 1.700 height, and then went back to the 1.930 height, because it worked best for *me*. I thank Brownell's and there forever, no questions asked warranty and return, to help me get it exactly right.

titsonritz
04-22-20, 01:39
My Kahles K16i start with a Daniel Defense 1.5" mount, next a 1.93" Geissele and currently my preferred 1.93" Scalarworks.

Ironman8
04-22-20, 07:26
I love the Badger C1 in 1.7” (lower 1/3) height. That’s what I have my 1-6 Razor in and will put the 1-10 in whenever I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe at one point you had the G1.93 mount correct? How do you like the 1.7 height in comparison? And will it clear a laser at 12:00?

I’ve been looking at the Badger C1 lately for the modular ability with a MRDS. Plus it’s a little lighter than the G mount.

Wake27
04-22-20, 08:26
I believe at one point you had the G1.93 mount correct? How do you like the 1.7 height in comparison? And will it clear a laser at 12:00?

I’ve been looking at the Badger C1 lately for the modular ability with a MRDS. Plus it’s a little lighter than the G mount.

I'm not into NODs and lasers yet so I can't speak to that, but I definitely prefer the Badger height to the G 1.93. Granted Badger has a C1 in 1.93, but lower 1/3 has always worked for me with RDS so I figured it was worth a shot with LPVO. I have yet to feel like I'm cramming into the gun to get a sight picture like I did with my standard ADM mount (1.54 I think) but also haven't had any issue getting a fast sight picture in the prone which is where I struggled with the 1.93. I figured that I'd either get used to it and/or it wouldn't matter too much because if I had time to get into the prone, I wasn't in a huge rush. I changed my mind when shooting a match that required us to drop to the prone and I wasted what felt like several seconds looking for the eye box. That same stage made me want to try an offset RDS because I was in the middle of it shooting at 5m targets before I realized that I'd never dialed the razor back to 1x so I ended up point shooting. With the weight being slightly less, I was pretty sold on giving it a shot and have been very happy so far, though my use with it has been relatively limited due to COVID.

RKB Armory
04-22-20, 08:57
I also have a Badger C1 in 1.7" height. At first I was skeptical about the height because it was neither 1.5" (to which I was accustomed) nor 1.9". I now find it perfect. For me it is the perfect compromise between the good cheek weld of a lower hight, and fast acquisition of a taller height mount.

Ironman8
04-22-20, 09:36
I'm not into NODs and lasers yet so I can't speak to that, but I definitely prefer the Badger height to the G 1.93. Granted Badger has a C1 in 1.93, but lower 1/3 has always worked for me with RDS so I figured it was worth a shot with LPVO. I have yet to feel like I'm cramming into the gun to get a sight picture like I did with my standard ADM mount (1.54 I think) but also haven't had any issue getting a fast sight picture in the prone which is where I struggled with the 1.93. I figured that I'd either get used to it and/or it wouldn't matter too much because if I had time to get into the prone, I wasn't in a huge rush. I changed my mind when shooting a match that required us to drop to the prone and I wasted what felt like several seconds looking for the eye box. That same stage made me want to try an offset RDS because I was in the middle of it shooting at 5m targets before I realized that I'd never dialed the razor back to 1x so I ended up point shooting. With the weight being slightly less, I was pretty sold on giving it a shot and have been very happy so far, though my use with it has been relatively limited due to COVID.

Interesting and thanks for the insight guys. I haven’t found it very hard to get a sight picture in prone with the NX8 so I’m a little surprised you had trouble with the Razor. I do mostly shoot standing with it though.

My thought process is that if I were to piggyback an MRDS (based on the other thread), it will bring it down a quarter inch vs the 1.93 and make it a little easier to get behind. Plus it’s even lighter than the 1.93 and may help keep center of gravity down a bit being lower. It’s also a closer crossover to my RDS at lower 1/3 so there’s not as much discrepancy in cheek weld.

My only hesitation would be whether it clears a laser adequately at 12:00

I also have a Badger C1 in 1.7" height. At first I was skeptical about the height because it was neither 1.5" (to which I was accustomed) nor 1.9". I now find it perfect. For me it is the perfect compromise between the good cheek weld of a lower hight, and fast acquisition of a taller height mount.

Thanks RKB, I was thinking that it wouldn’t be a drastic change in cheek weld but give most/all of the benefit of the higher 1.93 mount. Do you happen to have a dbal or similar to try at 12:00 to see if it clears?

RKB Armory
04-22-20, 09:50
Thanks RKB, I was thinking that it wouldn’t be a drastic change in cheek weld but give most/all of the benefit of the higher 1.93 mount. Do you happen to have a dbal or similar to try at 12:00 to see if it clears?

Sorry, no I don't.

Furbyballer
04-22-20, 17:46
badger comm 1.70

PhoPoweR
04-28-20, 02:09
I'm running the Scalarworks 1.93 mount with my Razor 1-10x. It's a great setup, really digging it compared to the Geissele 1.57 mounts that I have on my other rifles.

vicious_cb
04-28-20, 03:07
1.54" - really sucks for fast and up close on 1x, works great in the prone

1.93" - puts your head in the best position for shooting at 1x, great for situational awareness but it sucks in the prone

Blackhalo
04-28-20, 10:09
badger comm 1.70

That's what I'm trying. Razor has been here, just waiting on the mount.

I've tried 1.93 and own 1.54 mounts on my LPVOs now. 1.7 should be ideal, though I'm afraid I'm going to like it and want to switch out my others mounts that my P4xis are using.

Also stealing an RMR off my old G17 I don't shoot anymore(m&p man these days) and going to try the off set red dot thing. With the Holosun 407/507s being a viable option it's not much more to run the offset dot vs good offset/standard BUIS.

Biggy
04-28-20, 10:18
I tried the 1.700” Badger mount and it was fine, but “ for me” their 1.93 , worked the best “overall”.
As always, YMMV.

GTF425
04-28-20, 10:26
Handguard length is just as much a factor in seeing a laser in your FOV as mount height.

A PEQ on the end of a 13" rail will be visible on 1x with a 1.93" height mount. DBALs even more so. Find a sight height that you are able to shoot with comfortably and go from there.

For the sake of discussion, it's been my experience that a PEQ on a 10" or shorter rail will clear the FOV with a 1.93 LT mount. If the PEQ is out ~13", it will be in the lower FOV on 1x.

Ironman8
04-28-20, 12:26
I just played with a DBAL A3 on the end of my 11.7” rail (it sat behind a MBUS pro sight so it probably sat at ~10.5” mark) and with the Geissele 1.93 and NX8, I could see the top sliver of the DBAL at 1x. I’ll call it lower 1/8th in the FOV. Nothing that I’m really concerned about, but reinforced that I want to stick with 1.93 instead of 1.70 with a 12:00 laser.