PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 1301 Tactical - Updated

davidjinks
04-23-20, 08:56
It is the Generation 2 model which comes with removable choke and updated bolt release.

Questions...

Which Beretta extended chokes can I use?
- I’ve been to the Beretta site and when I put in 1301 for a parts search, there’s 6 items that come up. No definitive answers on chokes.

Where can I buy a new front tritium/hi viz sight?
- I’d also like to buy a couple extra front sight nuts to have on hand.

Currently I have the Optima flush choke (came with gun), I cannot find anything saying I can or cannot shoot slugs through this. Does anyone know if slugs are good to go with this choke and which chokes can I use with slugs in general?

TIA

Todd.K
04-23-20, 12:35
Front sight is the same as the Benelli M4, if you come up short searching for 1301. XS is a good place to start.
https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=13436

Optima HP is the choke you need. Your choke should be cylinder, you can always shoot slugs through cylinder choke. Ask the manufacturer about the tightest choke they recommend for slugs.
https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-plus3-4-12ga/c621/

davidjinks
04-23-20, 17:57
Thank you sir. I did end up calling Beretta. It wasn’t that much of a help.

I did learn that as long as it is an Optima HP choke, it can be used in the shotgun. No answers on limits for slug use. I figure an Improved choke would suffice.

I didn’t know that about the M4 front sight compatibility. Thanks for that as well.

Front sight is the same as the Benelli M4, if you come up short searching for 1301. XS is a good place to start.
https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=13436

Optima HP is the choke you need. Your choke should be cylinder, you can always shoot slugs through cylinder choke. Ask the manufacturer about the tightest choke they recommend for slugs.
https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-plus3-4-12ga/c621/

davidjinks
04-25-20, 16:02
Edited for content

crosseyedshooter
04-25-20, 16:58
www.berettausa.com has a couple of promotions going on right now. Coupon code STAYACTIVE is 25% off their online store. If you order three or more of the same family of chokes, they’re $40 each + 25% off and free shipping is $90 for three chokes. If you’re also on ActiveJunky.com, they have a 10% rebate off Beretta online store.

I bought extended chokes for a new 1301 Comp but you’re probably more interested in the flush chokes for a 1301 Tac.

FLUSH: https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-flush-12ga/c620/
EXTENDED, Black: https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-choke-tube-optimachoke-hp-black-edition-20mm-extended-12-ga/

Todd.K
04-25-20, 18:34
Federal LE133-00 is the buckshot to beat. Low recoil, 8 pellet, and flitecontrol so it patterns great out of most fixed cylinder barrels.

davidjinks
04-25-20, 23:40
Edited for content

davidjinks
04-25-20, 23:50
I’ve been looking for any and all Federal 12 gauge. Everything is out of stock.

Federal LE133-00 is the buckshot to beat. Low recoil, 8 pellet, and flitecontrol so it patterns great out of most fixed cylinder barrels.

FJCowboy
04-27-20, 16:58
What are folks' thoughts on the Remington Reduced Recoil Buckshot (RR12BK8-00), 12G, 2 3/4"? How does it compare to the Federal LE133-00?

davidjinks
04-27-20, 17:11
Add me to this as well...

What are folks' thoughts on the Remington Reduced Recoil Buckshot (RR12BK8-00), 12G, 2 3/4"? How does it compare to the Federal LE133-00?

Todd.K
04-27-20, 21:27
Flitecontrol is the obvious big difference. Better pattern without messing with chokes. If you get acceptable patterns I don't know of anything wrong with Remington buckshot.

Low recoil is always a good choice if it runs in your shotgun. Terminal performance is not dependent on velocity here, so it's faster follow up shots without any downside.

FJCowboy
04-28-20, 08:29
Flitecontrol is the obvious big difference. Better pattern without messing with chokes. If you get acceptable patterns I don't know of anything wrong with Remington buckshot.

Low recoil is always a good choice if it runs in your shotgun. Terminal performance is not dependent on velocity here, so it's faster follow up shots without any downside.

I have to be honest, I have never patterned buckshot in my shotgun. I guess I figured if I was slinging buckshot within 10-15 yards, there is a pretty good chance it would do the trick. I believe Federal Law Enforcement used the Remington Reduced Recoil for quite a few years.

Mrgunsngear
04-29-20, 10:29
I have to be honest, I have never patterned buckshot in my shotgun. I guess I figured if I was slinging buckshot within 10-15 yards, there is a pretty good chance it would do the trick. I believe Federal Law Enforcement used the Remington Reduced Recoil for quite a few years.

The load used will make a big difference particularly at distances of 10-15 yards and beyond as the video below shows.

https://youtu.be/ddvkPIh0z3U

FJCowboy
04-29-20, 13:27
That was a great video and very informative. Didn't realize the flight control wad would make that much difference. I might have to do some testing to know for sure.

RiggerGod
04-29-20, 16:32
That was a great video and very informative. Didn't realize the flight control wad would make that much difference. I might have to do some testing to know for sure.

To be honest, it’s night and day. No other brand of buck even comes close. At my agencies last range day we patterned; one guy used our 8 pellet Flight Control duty load, the rest used our qualification Remington reduced recoil non-lead shells. The difference was immediately apparent from the first shot to the last. Made some true believers at the range that day!

Spiff_P239
05-02-20, 08:47
I recently picked up a Gen 1 1301 Tactical and I’m really impressed with how light it is, especially compared to the 590A1 that I had previously. I’m just waiting on some Aridus parts so I can get it set up the way that I want it.

FJCowboy
05-08-20, 10:49
Looks like Midway just got a shipment of Beretta 1301s

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022582612?pid=595992&utm_source=general-promotion&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=beretta-1301-tactical

FJCowboy
05-08-20, 10:49
Delete...double post.

davidjinks
06-05-20, 17:13
Edited for content

Ron3
06-06-20, 13:26
A couple things I realized today...I don’t like shotgun recoil especially out of a light gun. Slugs are kind of a waste of space and money (for me at least). I absolutely prefer a semi auto shotgun over a pump. I also prefer a shorter LOP which the Beretta has.

Yea the recoil definitely cumulative.

Shotgun shells are also heavy (Every shot weighs over an ounce) and bulky. Takes up space in storage and transport.

These are the things that keep me from firing much shotgun.

Short LOP makes a huge difference.

davidjinks
06-10-20, 17:06
I think I’ll stick with the Low Recoil buckshot and dump the slugs. I will also pick up a thicker butt pad.

Do you have an opinion or the Urbino stock? I’ve been reading a bit about it and there’s some solid reviews on it.

Yea the recoil definitely cumulative.

Shotgun shells are also heavy (Every shot weighs over an ounce) and bulky. Takes up space in storage and transport.

These are the things that keep me from firing much shotgun.

Short LOP makes a huge difference.

PoppaN
06-24-20, 02:05
Is this still a good shotgun to buy in 2020 or has something eclipsed it?

crosseyedshooter
06-24-20, 13:16
I think I’ll stick with the Low Recoil buckshot and dump the slugs. I will also pick up a thicker butt pad.

Do you have an opinion or the Urbino stock? I’ve been reading a bit about it and there’s some solid reviews on it.

I added a 25mm thick Beretta Micro Core recoil pad (~$35 online) to my 1301 Comp which significantly improved my comfort. I shoot mostly target loads for sport, typically 50-100 rounds per outing, so I'm not sure how effective it is for full-power slugs, buckshot, etc.

Beretta MicroCore FIELD Rubber Recoil Pad:
25mm (.99") - E73028
20mm (.79") - E73004
15mm (.59") - E73005
10mm (.39") - E73006

davidjinks
06-24-20, 19:23
I think it’s still a good shotgun. Recoil is brisk with full power ammunition, but other than that, it’s good to go right out of the box.

Is this still a good shotgun to buy in 2020 or has something eclipsed it?

davidjinks
06-24-20, 19:23
Still looking at those and the Urbino stock.

I added a 25mm thick Beretta Micro Core recoil pad (~$35 online) to my 1301 Comp which significantly improved my comfort. I shoot mostly target loads for sport, typically 50-100 rounds per outing, so I'm not sure how effective it is for full-power slugs, buckshot, etc.

Beretta MicroCore FIELD Rubber Recoil Pad:
25mm (.99") - E73028
20mm (.79") - E73004
15mm (.59") - E73005
10mm (.39") - E73006

Ron3
06-27-20, 15:35
I got a very thick recoil pad for shooting the Nagant carbine M44 I had years ago.

I went from tolerating about 30 rds of 180 gr bullets to being able to shoot as much as wanted. Usually about 100 rds.

Those were the days..$99 M44 and IIRC I paid about $90 for 1440 rounds of ammo. Later sold the rifle and about 400 rds for $150 and felt good about it.

If i had it back I'd still sell it. Just get more for it.

rdcwannabe
09-07-20, 06:44
Big fan of the 1301 Comp...How's the Tactical compare?

RonaldOO
10-29-20, 11:31
The Beretta is a great shotgun, and some friends of mine use them for 3-gun and like them a lot. So it depends.

I personally don't think there is a 'wrong answer'. I am content with my Benelli. Btw I've found an interesting review on Benelli vs Beretta here https://yestactical.com/beretta-1301-tactical-vs-benelli-m4 . It's something like Chevy vs GMC haha since they are both owned by the same company.

Diesel79
12-02-20, 09:16
I got in on the Langdon 1301 pre order. I ordered it with the Aridus saddle and the CROM mount for an RMR. looking forward to it.

SeriousStudent
12-05-20, 12:39
I got in on the Langdon 1301 pre order. I ordered it with the Aridus saddle and the CROM mount for an RMR. looking forward to it.

https://i.imgur.com/ATibYUG.png

I think you will like it a lot. I pieced together the same thing, before Ernest started doing that as a package.

But it's definitely the "Easy" button for a defensive shotgun. I kinda lean towards the Aimpoint Micro over the RMR, since you can basically use it with the front sight as a giant ghost ring very effectively. The Micro also tends to get better marks for reliability over the RMR under shotgun recoil.

You may want to add a slightly higher cheek rest on the Magpul stock to get the right height for a fast acquisition of the red dot. It's cheap and easy to do for 16 bucks: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/stocks/stock-accessories/sga-high-cheek-riser-kit.html?mp_global_color=118

Ernest makes great gear, and he and Aimee do an excellent job on customer service. They also hired another really sharp young fellow to do more gunsmithing. This is allowing Ernest to spend more time in his Secret Hidden Laboratory, and also teach more classes. Jonah is doing a awesome work on the trigger jobs. I have one of his 92X pistol packages and it's amazing.

Diesel79
12-05-20, 16:46
https://i.imgur.com/ATibYUG.png

I think you will like it a lot. I pieced together the same thing, before Ernest started doing that as a package.

But it's definitely the "Easy" button for a defensive shotgun. I kinda lean towards the Aimpoint Micro over the RMR, since you can basically use it with the front sight as a giant ghost ring very effectively. The Micro also tends to get better marks for reliability over the RMR under shotgun recoil.

You may want to add a slightly higher cheek rest on the Magpul stock to get the right height for a fast acquisition of the red dot. It's cheap and easy to do for 16 bucks: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/stocks/stock-accessories/sga-high-cheek-riser-kit.html?mp_global_color=118

Ernest makes great gear, and he and Aimee do an excellent job on customer service. They also hired another really sharp young fellow to do more gunsmithing. This is allowing Ernest to spend more time in his Secret Hidden Laboratory, and also teach more classes. Jonah is doing a awesome work on the trigger jobs. I have one of his 92X pistol packages and it's amazing.

Agreed, definitely the easy button! Now you’ve got me thinking about going with the Aimpoint mount instead. They are just so dang expensive, but rightfully so I guess. I guess I am spending 2k on the gun so what’s a little more for the icing on the cake.

I also have a Benelli M4 I just picked up but I have to do a bit of work to legally get the 7+1 capacity. I decided I’m just gonna keep the M4 in its factory form since the 1301 comes fully dialed in. Later down the road I might get a carriercomp tube and the other required USA parts.

nmscuba
01-15-21, 14:26
I love my 1301 but for home defense I'm using the Hornady critical defense double 00 buckshot I don't need flight control for inside a house but these are not low recoil they're 1600 ft per second guaranteed to get the job done

nmscuba
01-15-21, 14:29
I like the endpoint also but like the other person said they're just so expensive so I've got an RMR coming on Saturday to mount on my Beretta 1301 I'm going to put it on the picatinny rail we'll see how well it does with the iron sights I know they make a crom plate to replace the picatinny rail which is supposed to make it co-witness I'll find out shortly

Diesel79
01-15-21, 14:31
I got my LTT last week, but haven’t gotten to the range yet. I will say it is very nice. It is lightweight compared to the M4. I really like the CROM and the Aridus saddle. The Magpul furniture is also really nice.

nmscuba
01-15-21, 14:45
I got my LTT last week, but haven’t gotten to the range yet. I will say it is very nice. It is lightweight compared to the M4. I really like the CROM and the Aridus saddle. The Magpul furniture is also really nice.

I'm going to see how mine is without the crom because I really don't like a true co-witness but I should find out tomorrow if my sights come in I'm definitely thinking about the aridus it's a good chunk of change but a nice accessory I think can be better than the butt stock style and I don't like the velcro style on the receiver. I don't need to change out any of the Magpul stuff I have a tactical light on my picatinny rail when I did my magazine extension

SteveL
01-19-21, 08:38
This is my 1st foray into semi-auto shotguns. I pieced it together and have been very pleased with the results. Only a couple hundred rounds through it so far but I'm very impressed. I really want to get into a shotgun class with it.

https://i.imgur.com/NZBX5J2.jpg

Biggy
01-22-21, 22:05
This is my 1st foray into semi-auto shotguns. I pieced it together and have been very pleased with the results. Only a couple hundred rounds through it so far but I'm very impressed. I really want to get into a shotgun class with it.

https://i.imgur.com/NZBX5J2.jpg

I have one just like it, except I went with the Aimpoint T2 on mine. I think you are really going to like it.

SeriousStudent
01-22-21, 22:36

I know some shotgun classes that will be near you this year.

Greg Ellifritz will be in Cresson on October 2 & 3 for a combined Shotgun and Medical class with Lone Star Medics.

Palisades Training Group will be doing a shotgun class in April in East Texas neat Eustace. I'm going to be taking that, I know the people at that company.

Rob and Matt Haught will be at MeadHall in March. I'm in that class as well. It's full, but you might reach out to them for a stand-by slot.

A couple of other shotgun classes are in the works. I'll shoot you some details when they are solidified.

Trust me - shotgun and revolver classes are going to be a much bigger deal for the next few years.

Biggy
02-08-21, 09:36
I’m using a stock Beretta 1301 Tactical with a 18-inch barrel and a pure cylinder bore. That’s right, no choke tubes to “narrow the pattern. At 25 yards downrange, the combination of my Beretta 1301 Tactical shotgun and the Federal FliteControl buckshot loads yielded just over 8-inch patterns. To me that is outstanding.

Diesel79
02-08-21, 10:30
Flite Control is awesome. I bought 100 boxes this past summer when you could find it. 5.99/box.

SteveL
02-08-21, 19:24
I know some shotgun classes that will be near you this year.

Greg Ellifritz will be in Cresson on October 2 & 3 for a combined Shotgun and Medical class with Lone Star Medics.

Palisades Training Group will be doing a shotgun class in April in East Texas neat Eustace. I'm going to be taking that, I know the people at that company.

Rob and Matt Haught will be at MeadHall in March. I'm in that class as well. It's full, but you might reach out to them for a stand-by slot.

A couple of other shotgun classes are in the works. I'll shoot you some details when they are solidified.

Trust me - shotgun and revolver classes are going to be a much bigger deal for the next few years.

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread lately, but thanks for the info. Please keep me updated.

PLCedeno
04-18-21, 11:36
Shot my new 1301 this weekend. Purchased 120 rounds of Remington Sluggers (advertised as Federal) from MidwayUSA. The 50 rounds i fired have my shoulder feeling damaged. Will probably not use the remainder of what came in the ammo can. In fact i can't see myself using it until light recoiling ammo becomes available again. I dont remember ever experiencing that type of recoil in my 870. Sorry if im slightly off topic but its important for people to know that though this shotgun is stellar, ammo selection is paramount to actually enjoying it.

crosseyedshooter
04-18-21, 12:06
Shot my new 1301 this weekend. Purchased 120 rounds of Remington Sluggers (advertised as Federal) from MidwayUSA. The 50 rounds i fired have my shoulder feeling damaged. Will probably not use the remainder of what came in the ammo can. In fact i can't see myself using it until light recoiling ammo becomes available again. I dont remember ever experiencing that type of recoil in my 870. Sorry if im slightly off topic but its important for people to know that though this shotgun is stellar, ammo selection is paramount to actually enjoying it.

The stock recoil pad on the 1301 Tactical is a thin, hard, rubber. The Beretta MicroCore FIELD Recoil Pad is directly interchangeable and helps immensely. It also comes in a variety of thicknesses up to 1” so it also doubles as a spacer for me.

PLCedeno
04-20-21, 16:50
Deleted

ap1220
05-08-21, 15:51
Picked up a Gen2 Beretta 1301 tactical this week. Starting the hunt/wait for the parts to do an LTT-ish build. Got the Nordic extension and Magpul stock enroute. I may do a different side saddle than the Aridus(maybe), and the foregrip may not change depending on what light I choose to put on it. Jury is still out on that one, but I do have a spare Pro-tac 2 laying around.

Dorsai
06-15-21, 21:51
The thread on the 1301 is over 400 pages on Pistol-Forums, LOL. I read more than I post, but this is a copy of a recent post I made there. With regards to the recoil, I haven't shot shotguns for years, so my memories are suspect. What I did notice was the Haught push-pull technique really works. A very distinct lighter perceived recoil. I had a limited amount of Flightcontrol 9 pellet ammo and the pattern density was amazing. At 15 yards the pattern was a single 1.5" hole with 1 or 2 flyers stretching the pattern by an inch or two. #4 Buck was a 10 in pattern. Federal Premium (NOT Flightcontrol) was better than the #4, but nothing that made you say wow. That Flightcontrol stuff is a world changer. Like eating a great Ribeye and not being satisfied with Ramen. So I'm on a couple of lists waiting for the Flightcontrol to come back in stock.

Most of my mods are ones that others have already done. The Nordic magazine extension and clamp with QD Mount and Pic rail, and ESSTAC shell card. The light is an Olight PL-PRO that I posted earlier but from a different angle so you can see how much it sticks out to the side, and how close the bezel is to the muzzle. The other modification is addition of a QD cup to the left side of the buttstock. Honestly, that was the toughest part to install. It is an Impact Weapons Components Mount-N-Slot Direct Attach Mount. First, locate where in the stock you want to drill a hole. I did a starter, smaller hole as a guide for the 1/2" dia hole needed by the mount. Removing the stock from the gun was simple. Thin phillips head screwdriver to remove the buttpad and an 11mm (I think it was 11, not the always lost 10mm) socket to remove the nut keeping it all together. The mount has a flange with two set screws to push against the inside of the stock. There is a split ring that goes into a groove on the outside of the socket that when completed, presses against the outside surface of the stock. So the cup itself is held by the tension between the two set screws on the inside pushing against the stock, and the split ring on the outside opposing the set screws. I did not consider the length of my allen wrench before selecting the location of the mount and drilling my hole. Keep in mind that you do not have complete access to the entire inside of the stock. There is actually only a small rectangular opening from the rear. Because it was very difficult to get the wrench into the set screws and then only being able to turn them maybe 10 degrees of rotation, I abandoned the instructions, tightened the screws in the flange to a depth that allowed just enough room to get the split ring in the groove on the outside. Then I did a little wrenching on the set screws. I had to hold the wrench with a pair of needle nose pliers and then fish around to get it in the set screw socket. Keep that in mind if you want to do this yourself.

I tried a Holosun 503 on the optic rail and it proved the value of the Aridus CROM. It is just too high. So I have a CROM on back order. A Pro-style lifter is on my list of things to get, and maybe a match-saver.

crosseyedshooter
06-15-21, 22:12
Is there any particular reason you didn’t like the factory QD on the underside of the stock? I have a 1301 Comp for 3-gun and added the pro lifter. It was probably the second best mod after the +5 mag tube.

Dorsai
06-16-21, 09:19
Is there any particular reason you didn’t like the factory QD on the underside of the stock? I have a 1301 Comp for 3-gun and added the pro lifter. It was probably the second best mod after the +5 mag tube.

I like good slings, I don't like investing in a lot of them. Unlike video games, I only carry one long gun at a time. So for that reason, whenever it is practical, I have tried to standardize on QD mounts, and in roughly the same locations so I don't have to adjust the sling length. Shotguns are a problem. I actually prefer bottom mounts on a shotgun, front and rear. My preferred carry is African style, muzzle down on the left shoulder. It is low profile and very quick to shoulder if your left hand is on the forend. The downside is that you need to keep it secured with your left hand on the gun or sling as any movement will cause it to slip from your shoulder. I opted for the side sling setup for a couple of reasons, realizing it was an imperfect compromise. I don't like slings with asymmetric sling attachments, i.e. rear on the bottom, front on the side. I find it causes a twisting effect when slung. Second, the bottom position is really bad if you are trying to shoot with the shotgun still slung. Shooting and reloading with the shotty still slung allows you to quickly go hands free and transition to a handgun if necessary. Finally, in the classes I've taken, and intend to take in the future, African carry isn't allowed for range safety reasons.

With the sidesaddle ammo card, it does cause the gun to rotate out just a little bit, but acceptable. I find that having the forward sling point way out front makes the sling tend to slip so it is hanging around the neck rather than under the left arm. But because it's shouldered and I'm shooting, not slinging, it isn't an issue. When I drop the muzzle down and out of the shoulder, it slips under the left arm with only a very tiny effort. If it doesn't and I've had to quickly transition to my handgun, it still works. I can still African carry, if I cinch down on the sling. It isn't quite as comfortable as it would be if I used the QD point on the bottom, but that would require using a different sling mount. I haven't explored the option of removing the bottom QD mount and installing a cup. I've got to research and really thank about that one as I'll have damaged the stock if it doesn't work.

Todd.K
06-16-21, 23:30
I did not consider the length of my allen wrench before selecting the location of the mount and drilling my hole. Keep in mind that you do not have complete access to the entire inside of the stock. There is actually only a small rectangular opening from the rear. Because it was very difficult to get the wrench into the set screws and then only being able to turn them maybe 10 degrees of rotation.

Did you consider the Noveske flush QD? It tightens from the outside and the nut on the inside locks into the stock so you don’t need any wrench on the inside of the stock.

Dorsai
06-18-21, 20:23
Did you consider the Noveske flush QD? It tightens from the outside and the nut on the inside locks into the stock so you don’t need any wrench on the inside of the stock.

I dd not. That would have been a better choice by far.

ap1220
06-21-21, 09:49
The thread on the 1301 is over 400 pages on Pistol-Forums, LOL. I read more than I post, but this is a copy of a recent post I made there. With regards to the recoil, I haven't shot shotguns for years, so my memories are suspect. What I did notice was the Haught push-pull technique really works. A very distinct lighter perceived recoil. I had a limited amount of Flightcontrol 9 pellet ammo and the pattern density was amazing. At 15 yards the pattern was a single 1.5" hole with 1 or 2 flyers stretching the pattern by an inch or two. #4 Buck was a 10 in pattern. Federal Premium (NOT Flightcontrol) was better than the #4, but nothing that made you say wow. That Flightcontrol stuff is a world changer. Like eating a great Ribeye and not being satisfied with Ramen. So I'm on a couple of lists waiting for the Flightcontrol to come back in stock.

Most of my mods are ones that others have already done. The Nordic magazine extension and clamp with QD Mount and Pic rail, and ESSTAC shell card. The light is an Olight PL-PRO that I posted earlier but from a different angle so you can see how much it sticks out to the side, and how close the bezel is to the muzzle. The other modification is addition of a QD cup to the left side of the buttstock. Honestly, that was the toughest part to install. It is an Impact Weapons Components Mount-N-Slot Direct Attach Mount. First, locate where in the stock you want to drill a hole. I did a starter, smaller hole as a guide for the 1/2" dia hole needed by the mount. Removing the stock from the gun was simple. Thin phillips head screwdriver to remove the buttpad and an 11mm (I think it was 11, not the always lost 10mm) socket to remove the nut keeping it all together. The mount has a flange with two set screws to push against the inside of the stock. There is a split ring that goes into a groove on the outside of the socket that when completed, presses against the outside surface of the stock. So the cup itself is held by the tension between the two set screws on the inside pushing against the stock, and the split ring on the outside opposing the set screws. I did not consider the length of my allen wrench before selecting the location of the mount and drilling my hole. Keep in mind that you do not have complete access to the entire inside of the stock. There is actually only a small rectangular opening from the rear. Because it was very difficult to get the wrench into the set screws and then only being able to turn them maybe 10 degrees of rotation, I abandoned the instructions, tightened the screws in the flange to a depth that allowed just enough room to get the split ring in the groove on the outside. Then I did a little wrenching on the set screws. I had to hold the wrench with a pair of needle nose pliers and then fish around to get it in the set screw socket. Keep that in mind if you want to do this yourself.

I tried a Holosun 503 on the optic rail and it proved the value of the Aridus CROM. It is just too high. So I have a CROM on back order. A Pro-style lifter is on my list of things to get, and maybe a match-saver.

What adhesive did you use for your shell cards? I ordered the 7 rnd Esstac versions and it looks like it "just fits", compared to the 6 rnd card. What was your reasoning for that one?

It looks good and for what it's worth I also bought the OD green version.

Dorsai
06-21-21, 14:32
What adhesive did you use for your shell cards? I ordered the 7 rnd Esstac versions and it looks like it "just fits", compared to the 6 rnd card. What was your reasoning for that one?

It looks good and for what it's worth I also bought the OD green version.

The ESSTAC cards came with a piece of loop velcro with the sticky back. I took a piece of paper and traced the outline of the receiver side since it has curved lines. Then I cut the velcro to match, degreased the side of the receiver with alcohol and stuck it on. I made one mistake and didn't punch a hole for the trigger plate pin. So I'll have to take care of that when I eventually do a detailed strip. I opted for the 6rd card because I thought it fit "better" than the 7rd card. I decided fit was more important than the maximum number of rounds as that requires more care when slapping the card in place.
I ordered my 1301 on Gunbroker. It was the only one that had a pic of a black gun with green furniture. That was the description as well. The all green is what I got.

I thought this was a good idea quite a few years ago, and while I was incorrect then, it may be useful now. I picked up a couple of the Blackhawk vests. One with 6 mag pouches, one with shotshell pouches on one side and big pouches on the other. I swapped the panels and created a vest with 3 mag pouches (left side) and the big pouches (right side), and the other with 3 mag pouches (left side) and shotshell pouches (right side). My thought for the latter, then, was 3 gun. I didn't understand 3 gun. Anyway, the cards fit in the mag pouches. I intend to take a class late this year and see how the vest works. Tuck the pouch flap into the pouch and it easily holds a 6 or 7rd card. The exposed velcro on the front will hold another if desired. Since the card is more intended for emergency or quick reloading, I'll use the shotshell pouches for administrative loading, the cards as needed, and swap a fresh card when that is needed. We'll see then if that's a good plan. Not suited for competition.

B Cart
07-12-21, 16:51
Good info in this thread. I just purchased a Beretta 1301 Tactical LE with pistol grip stock, and i'm excited to run it through the paces. I'll probably run a Trijicon RMR02 on it, in the Aridus CROM Mount.

What side saddle are you all running? I know Aridus makes one with removable shell plate. Is that the best option? Anything else you all would suggest for the gun setup?