PDA

View Full Version : PA and Vortex Red Dots

AndyLate
04-24-20, 08:29
I just assembled a dedicated .22lr upper and mounting a scope on it really pushes the weight up.

I have been looking at less-expensive mini red dots and Vortex and Primary Arms both have some attractive cadidates, but now I have questions.

What is the country of manufacture for the PA Red Dots and the Vortex Crossfire II?

I won't buy a Chinese red dot. I am good with the Phillipines, or another country that is not an active enemy.

Thank You

Andy

Wake27
04-24-20, 09:32
Crossfire is China. I have 3-4 and have been pleased with them but they've got that made in china sticker on them when you them. Most people seem to think the ones you mentioned plus Holosun are all made in the same factory.

signal4l
04-24-20, 09:37
I purchased a Crossfire couple years ago and put it on a 9mm AR. No problems with it.

I agree with the OP in terms of avoiding Chinese products when possible. I believe Trijicon, Leupold are your only options for US made red dot optics. They are obviously more expensive. No idea if any are made elsewhere

Valhalla
04-25-20, 03:24
Unfortunately at the moment "Less-Expensive", "Not from China", and "Reliable" are not mutually inclusive. You can pick 2, but not 3:

If they are less expensive but not from China, they are usually not very reliable.
If they are not from China but reliable, they are pricey.
If they are less expensive and still reliable, currently the only proven-ones are Chinese-made optics designed (or at least QC'ed/vetted) by American firms, such as Vortex or PA.

My recommendation is wait a couple months, save up, and just get an RMR. Not only they are relatively reliable, when it fails Trijicon's warranty is solid. But MAKE SURE you do not buy one from Amazon unless you know what to look for; many RMRs sold through Amazons are Chinese counterfeits. They look like one, smell like one, and even says Made-in-USA on the box... and then they would fail. But when you send it back to Trijicon for warranty, they would tell you it's fake. The irony would be massive if you save up to avoid buying Chinese only to be scammed by a Chinese...

My 2 cents!!

Valhalla Tactical

prepare
04-25-20, 03:59
Deleted

Alpine2k3
04-25-20, 07:25
Nikon Superdot could be an option. They are made in the Philippines. Not sure how good they are, haven’t had the chance to put mine through some abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
04-25-20, 07:50
I JUST sold my PA SLx, and noted on the box - "Made in China."

Curiously enough, it was also on MY AR.22 trainer. And because I run T-1's on all my 5.56 AR's, I wanted to go to a SPARC, to better simulate the view at least, through my T-1's. And I note on the box - "Made in China."

So in conclusion...

http://fanaru.com/the-simpsons/image/18520-the-simpsons-doh.gif

And here's how my AR.22 looks, and compared to my go-to HD rifle.

https://i.ibb.co/YtCkhXK/100-6152-crop.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/b11tGkz/100-5510-crop.jpg

AndyLate
04-25-20, 08:53
The upper with a gun built around a 16" BRT LW Optimum barrel. As configured, the rimfire upper is exactly 1 lb lighter than the 5.56. A good part of that is probably in the rail and scope mount.

https://i.imgur.com/n7W7xlz.jpg

RHINOWSO
04-27-20, 15:51
Goes with the "Good, Fast, Cheap" - Pick 2.

I believe some of the SIG Romeo's production is getting moved to the US (or final assembly).

Of course nearly all current optics have some foreign parts in them, regardless if they are Made in the USA or not.

I have a Romeo 5, which is a Holosun OEM made in China. It's fine for $100 from several years ago and lives on a 9MM AR-15 SBR. I wouldn't buy another one these days but I'm not going to destroy it. I may sell it but since it's from Brownells, it has a 'forever warranty', so I'll likely keep it until it dies as I don't want to spend $600+ to replace it with an Aimpoint H/T-2 or something like that.

AndyLate
05-01-20, 10:21
I ordered a made in South Korea Bushnell Mini Cannon, then cancelled that and ordered a Nikon P-Tactical Superdot instead. There was just no information on the Bushnell, and I decided not to chance it.

Andy