PDA

View Full Version : Extraction (Review)

WillBrink
04-27-20, 08:40
Latest NF movie with Chris Hemsworth. Extraction is a recent example of the highly stylized action movies such as John Wick. Hyper violent with exceptionally good action scenes, it's a lot of fun to watch. The plot is generic and the character development just barely adequate to care what happens to any of them, it's still one of the better action movies I have seen in years with minimal eye rolling moments for the genre. There's one seemingly single filmed extended scene that runs 10-12 minutes that's really impressive. One reason the action scenes in this movie are so damn good is due to the director - Sam Hargrave - being a stunt coordinator for the film industry prior to making his directing debut here. Gun guys will be generally happy with this movie. The ending and lack of character development ads the - to the A rating but fans of action movies will dig this movie to be sure: A-/B+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6P3nI6VnlY

Nowski87
04-27-20, 08:46
I watched this the other day and I agree. It was a fun movie along the lines of Man On Fire and John Wick though they both had more character development. The only eye roll it got from me was the seemingly bottomless Glock mag. The best part though was suppressors sound like suppressors in this movie, none of that squirrel fart nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidjinks
04-27-20, 08:51
Excellent movie if you like guns, action, death. I will be watching it again.

sidewaysil80
04-27-20, 08:57
Loved it, watched it twice.

hotrodder636
04-27-20, 09:13
Wife and I watched the other night. Impressive fight scene in the kidnap-house. Lots of HK love by the bad guys. Looks like Hemsworth was rocking a BCM?
Overall good movie, not very deep plot, not much character development but plenty of good action.

WillBrink
04-27-20, 09:18
I watched this the other day and I agree. It was a fun movie along the lines of Man On Fire and John Wick though they both had more character development. The only eye roll it got from me was the seemingly bottomless Glock mag. The best part though was suppressors sound like suppressors in this movie, none of that squirrel fart nonsense.

It was interesting to note AR mag changes a plenty, but seemingly none on the pistol. Also, while I thought the long gun to pistol transition work was really well done, note the pistol took out armies of guys in vests and and helmets easily. Some times they showed him clearly jamming the pistol into their neck and such, most of the time it appeared the vests didn't stop the pistol rnds at all. Small things like that did get my attention, but it didn't get to the level of ruining the movie for me as it often does in other movies. Dude getting hit by the truck and walking away from that (with a limp at least...) was a bit much, but what ever, it was visually so well done I almost didn't care.

Nowski87
04-27-20, 09:37
It was interesting to note AR mag changes a plenty, but seemingly none on the pistol. Also, while I thought the long gun to pistol transition work was really well done, note the pistol took out armies of guys in vests and and helmets easily. Some times they showed him clearly jamming the pistol into their neck and such, most of the time it appeared the vests didn't stop the pistol rnds at all. Small things like that did get my attention, but it didn't get to the level of ruining the movie for me as it often does in other movies. Dude getting hit by the truck and walking away from that (with a limp at least...) was a bit much, but what ever, it was visually so well done I almost didn't care.

I totally forgot about the pistol shooting through the vests, I guess I’m the same boat so much else was done well I just overlooked the other stuff.

WillBrink
04-27-20, 10:20
I totally forgot about the pistol shooting through the vests, I guess I’m the same boat so much else was done well I just overlooked the other stuff.

I can push the suspension of disbelief only so far before it ruins the movie, (e.g., like John Wick II and III...), but this movie was able to keep it just under that level for me. I just assumed he was such a bad ass killer all the pistol rnds were face shots and moved on mentally. :cool:

yoni
04-27-20, 10:26
Being able to transition to a pistol is a life saving skill, if you got a guy on you trying to kill you with an edged weapon the chance of being able to use your long gun is slim to none. You also need a pistol that holds more rounds that a 1911.

mack7.62
04-27-20, 10:35
I noticed at least once he did a one handed pistol reload while he was hands on with one of the cops, need to watch it again but seems like I saw some close in vest shots followed up by head shots, like the vest shots were a distraction.

NoveskeFan
04-27-20, 10:37
I enjoyed it. My understanding is that there's a chance for sequels, or if I remember from what I read, a prequel. That could help flesh out characters and if the same people are involved in front and behind the camera, I'm game.

WillBrink
04-27-20, 13:04
I noticed at least once he did a one handed pistol reload while he was hands on with one of the cops, need to watch it again but seems like I saw some close in vest shots followed up by head shots, like the vest shots were a distraction.

Some times that was the case, other times they were at a distance and went down as if clearly being shot.

AKDoug
04-27-20, 14:30
I could barely stay awake through any of the John Wicks.. I really liked this one. I think that it being shot primarily in the daylight was a big plus for me. I have a huge issue staying awake for movies like John Wick filmed primarily in the dark and dreary.

sva01
04-27-20, 15:45
Looks like Hemsworth was rocking a BCM?

I paused it to try to verify and I came up with Daniel Defense logo and a Leupold optic on the rifle.

MountainRaven
04-27-20, 16:40
Hemsworth at one point had a BCM. The same (or maybe another) BCM later shows up being used by someone else. Hemsworth's gun at the end was pretty definitely a DD M4A1.

SteyrAUG
04-27-20, 16:46
First season of "Taken" is actually pretty good, skip the second season.

Esq.
04-27-20, 18:46
My favorite scene was when he picks up one of the security guys and uses him as a bludgeon against another guy. Not just shoved him into a guy but picks him up and uses him to flatten a dude....Lol...

RMike89
04-27-20, 18:57
I thought it was great and mindless. A to B plot without any fluff, the initial fight between Hemsworth and the Indian actor was seemingly shot in one frame and I appreciated that. The only part that got me was when Indian rambo did a speed reload with the muzzle of that mp5-sd pressed into his adversaries chest....uhhhh wut?

One of the military tech advisors is a very special dude and it shows, he makes a cameo at the end when the mercenary qrf shows up.

arptsprt
04-27-20, 19:12
Watched it Saturday night. We liked it. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who noticed the HIGH capacity pistol mags... Otherwise good gun play overall.

mildot
04-27-20, 19:27
Pretty good flick, first time I've seen an HK SL8 used as a "sniper" rifle in a movie. SCAR 17 Hvy action as well. Overall well done for what it is.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-27-20, 20:38
Pretty good flick, first time I've seen an HK SL8 used as a "sniper" rifle in a movie. SCAR 17 Hvy action as well. Overall well done for what it is.

Is that with the Indian police chief for shooting? Watch with the family and everyone enjoyed it pretty much.

Not “Man on fire“ good, but a good use of a couple hours.

mildot
04-27-20, 20:41
Is that with the Indian police chief for shooting? Watch with the family and everyone enjoyed it pretty much.

Not “Man on fire“ good, but a good use of a couple hours.

Yes, it a "rare" bird to see in a movies as a sniper rifle.

StovePipe_Jammer
04-28-20, 06:03
My favorite scene was when he picks up one of the security guys and uses him as a bludgeon against another guy. Not just shoved him into a guy but picks him up and uses him to flatten a dude....Lol...

That was great, I sat straight up and told my wife "he just hit a dude with another dude!"

I wanted to back the film up to see exactly what he did with his pistol in one scene. It appeared he either reloaded one handed or cleared a jam one handed by racking the pistol off of his vest. Either way that was a pretty interesting addition. The Glock mag did appear endless but tossing that in there made it more enjoyable and gave a sense of the pistol needing more manipulation than just hosing bad guys with it.

VARIABLE9
04-28-20, 06:27
Thanks for posting the review Will. Enjoyable movie I had never heard of. Seemed to definitely be channeling MoF. The actress who played Nik was in Body of Lies, which IMO is another enjoyable movie.

Watrdawg
04-28-20, 07:07
Saw it last night and definitely enjoyed it. Overall the gun work was pretty good. Actually one of my favorite scenes was the very last one where the chick killed the drug lord. The drug lord pulls out all the stops and has this huge force trying to stop the kid from being extracted and fails. Then a single woman quietly and effortlessly takes him out while he has his pecker in his hand! Priceless!

Alex V
04-28-20, 07:40
To me it was something between John Wick and Strikeback minus the bewbs.

Not bad at all, but I wasn't keen on the ending.

sundance435
04-28-20, 08:50
Took me a second to figure out who the female "boss" was, but then I realized she's the woman from "Body of Lies". She's a knockout.

hotrodder636
04-28-20, 08:56
Yes, BCM at the beginning and DD near the end.

Hemsworth at one point had a BCM. The same (or maybe another) BCM later shows up being used by someone else. Hemsworth's gun at the end was pretty definitely a DD M4A1.

Hop
04-28-20, 10:56
I watched it last night and need to go back for seconds to pick up on some of the little things. They left it wide open to sequel imo.

Agree... enjoyable, mindless and gun-guy friendly = A-/B+.

Whiskey_Bravo
04-28-20, 12:09
Watched it last night with the wife. We both enjoyed it. My wife did make a comment though regarding the unlimited pistol ammo.

WillBrink
04-28-20, 13:14
Discussion on the one amazing continuous shot that lasted 12 minds. That alone was worth the price of admission and set a new standard in the genre. As I was watching that my mind reeled at the amount time effort and prep that must have gone into that scene:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/04/how-netflixs-extraction-engineered-a-12-minute-one-shot-action-sequence/

davidjinks
04-28-20, 18:23
Was in Hemsworth at the end, across from the pool?

MountainRaven
04-28-20, 22:07
SPOILERS

I've seen Jason Bourne take worse hits, so... my money's on, "yes".

arptsprt
04-28-20, 22:12

Huh... I just rewatched the end a couple of times. I’ll bet it is.

SPOILER ALERT. Don’t read past here if you haven’t seen the movie and don’t want to know.

Remember at the beginning of the movie when Hemsworth/Tyler jumped off the cliff into the water then sat at the bottom?

Also, it was made clear the kid didn’t stand a chance at surviving if he went back home. The fact Tyler lost his son and his wife left him and he was alone, sets it up perfect Tyler survived and adopted the kid.

Sequel coming.

ScottsBad
04-28-20, 23:06

I wish you wouldn't have told me about the glitches, because now I'll be looking for them...

Arik
04-28-20, 23:50
That town will need to hire a whole new police force

Watrdawg
04-29-20, 07:30

Definitely looked like him. It happened so fast that both my son and I said at the same time was that him. Definite lead in to a sequel.

rushca01
04-29-20, 08:07
Really enjoyed it! I'm a Hemsworth fan, he has a small part in the movie "Vacation" and it's hilarious. I also like what he has done with Thor, Ragnarok was my favorite marvel movie and it was his idea to turn into "fat Thor" for end game.

Vickers put up a nice screen grab of the rifle he is using at the start of the movie and it's all BCM (parts as the AR itself was rubber), I noticed the stock first when I watched the movie.

The director stated he left the ending ambiguous to let the viewer decide how they wanted it to end. It's totally open for a squeal, at the very least a prequel.

As much as I like the action, but the constant physical damage these guys take....I just wish they would tone it down a bit more and make slightly more realistic.

mack7.62
04-29-20, 08:59
As much as I like the action, but the constant physical damage these guys take....I just wish they would tone it down a bit more and make slightly more realistic.

Yeah he fights through 20 cops and Indian Rambo and his buddy gives him a rice bowl, I suspect his caloric needs might have been somewhat higher.

JediGuy
04-29-20, 09:48
I’m going to have to rewatch the end apparently... Must have been falling asleep, didn’t notice Tyler at the end.

WillBrink
04-29-20, 10:13
I’m going to have to rewatch the end apparently... Must have been falling asleep, didn’t notice Tyler at the end.

Might be Tyler at the end, hence the cliff hanger. Spoilers:

I'm not buying for a second he'd take that level of damage, fall of the bridge, and live. Not a chance. Any follow up better be a prequal or it's meh for me.

Arik
04-29-20, 10:30
Might be Tyler at the end, hence the cliff hanger. Spoilers:

I'm not buying for a second he'd take that level of damage, fall of the bridge, and live. Not a chance. Any follow up better be a prequal or it's meh for me.Considering this was very John Wick, even to the point of having a stuntman write and direct ...why not?

VARIABLE9
04-29-20, 10:30
Spoilers on story, mostly speculation on possible sequel:

https://screenrant.com/extraction-2-netflix-sequel-release-date-story/

I didn’t realize the director (Hargrave) also played Gaetan.

WillBrink
04-29-20, 10:56
Considering this was very John Wick, even to the point of having a stuntman write and direct ...why not?

Why not indeed, but I'm not a big fan of the Wick movies either for that and other reasons. First Wick movie was fun and clearly not meant to be taken too seriously. The rest were meh for me as they exceeded my ability to suspend the disbelief enough and enjoy them.

davidjinks
04-29-20, 13:30
Okay, you and me are tracking the same!

Huh... I just rewatched the end a couple of times. I’ll bet it is.

SPOILER ALERT. Don’t read past here if you haven’t seen the movie and don’t want to know.

Remember at the beginning of the movie when Hemsworth/Tyler jumped off the cliff into the water then sat at the bottom?

Also, it was made clear the kid didn’t stand a chance at surviving if he went back home. The fact Tyler lost his son and his wife left him and he was alone, sets it up perfect Tyler survived and adopted the kid.

Sequel coming.

sundance435
04-29-20, 15:06
Okay, you and me are tracking the same!

As long as it’s not like the sequel to “Sicario” where the he turns the kid into his new sidekick.

I actually thought they did a better job than usual of taking into account the vests that a lot of guys were wearing, with the head and neck shots. Plus, those big bulky ones you see all the time in India, as in this movie - I doubt that they’re actually true bulletproof vests. More like flak jackets, maybe.

ramairthree
04-29-20, 20:23
I started to watch it but I am missing the subtitles and there is too much dialog I am missing.

Either it does not have them or one of the kids or dogs got ahold of the remote and I need to find the right settings.

Lefty223
04-29-20, 20:27
I give it a solid ‘MEH’ all-around ... pistol kills outnumbered carbine kills like 20 to 1, many from a good distance to people wearing vests. Right ...

Arik
04-29-20, 21:42
All those "vests" looked more like load bearing vests then armor.

Arik
04-29-20, 21:44
I started to watch it but I am missing the subtitles and there is too much dialog I am missing.

Either it does not have them or one of the kids or dogs got ahold of the remote and I need to find the right settings.Didn't have subtitles but it's not exactly hard to understand what's going on. Wasn't really one of those movies that forced you to pay attention and think.

davidjinks
04-29-20, 22:19
No, I don’t think that’s what it is about.

As long as it’s not like the sequel to “Sicario” where the he turns the kid into his new sidekick.

I actually thought they did a better job than usual of taking into account the vests that a lot of guys were wearing, with the head and neck shots. Plus, those big bulky ones you see all the time in India, as in this movie - I doubt that they’re actually true bulletproof vests. More like flak jackets, maybe.

AKDoug
06-21-23, 02:25
Extraction 2 is out and 3 is promised. We rewatched Extraction tonight and will watch 2 tomorrow.

chuckman
06-21-23, 08:30
I liked it. I don't know if it's better or worse than the first one. It's definitely John Wick style and you have to suspend your belief from the first scene until the last.

I like that they got a lot of Georgians for the film, most of whom are unknown actors in the US. The location shooting was good, and of course they have another single-camera long action scene which was the Hallmark of the first film.

They are planning to make this into a film franchise and make more Extraction movies.

Johnny Rico
06-21-23, 11:14
I liked it. I don't know if it's better or worse than the first one.

Same here. That in itself is a win. In the vast majority of cases, the sequel comes nowhere close to the quality of the original.

It's definitely John Wick style and you have to suspend your belief from the first scene until the last.

I may like the Extraction films better than the John Wicks.

Det-Sog
06-21-23, 11:16
LOVED the first one. I could see a true operator pulling that off up against a third world bottom tier para-military.

We made it 1/2 way through the 2nd last night and called B.S. and turned it off. Wife has to get up early for work, so it was more of a bed-time issue than the movie sucked issue. We will TRY to get through the second half tonight.

My beef, this one is just too John Wick unrealistic. The man is not Thor. One man and a 100 pound rail of a woman cannot take on an entire prison yard and win. Then there was the train... Like you can just have a train on standby... Then there is the Georgian "mafia" that is better equipped than the Ukraine government.

I know, it's fiction. At least TRY to make it believable. This one comes across like a Thor movie. Hemsworth comes across as tougher than Thor here without the lightning... Series has potential, but needs to be toned down just a little for the same reason that I cannot watch any of the follow up John Wick stuff. One man cannot take on an entire army with a 3-gun set up.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-21-23, 11:51
Wife HATED the 2 with a PASSION.

I do have to say that I think John Wick was a good movie, but they’re taking everything too far and that style is now becoming annoying. The gun Foo is getting crazy and frankly distracting. I think they need to dial it back down and get back to you something more realistic, and gritty.

More Way of the Gun than the gun is the way.

Averageman
06-21-23, 16:07
Wife HATED the 2 with a PASSION.

I do have to say that I think John Wick was a good movie, but they’re taking everything too far and that style is now becoming annoying. The gun Foo is getting crazy and frankly distracting. I think they need to dial it back down and get back to you something more realistic, and gritty.

More Way of the Gun than the gun is the way.

You know sometimes going from a classic movie to an entire series halfway works movies really cheapens the whole thing.
Example Godfather I & II, but III was a bridge too far. Wick I & II but all the rest, not so much.

I'm pretty sure that's why we didn't get "Son of Shane", they made a great movie and moved on to the next one.

JediGuy
06-21-23, 18:46
I preferred the first; it felt more realistic with more emotion. Actually signed back up for Netflix for a month just for Extraction 2, and don’t regret that. But the train segment on top of the prison was a bit much. The rest was fun.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-21-23, 19:45
Gun skills, meh; I want his cardio capability…

pag23
06-21-23, 20:02
LOVED the first one. I could see a true operator pulling that off up against a third world bottom tier para-military.

We made it 1/2 way through the 2nd last night and called B.S. and turned it off. Wife has to get up early for work, so it was more of a bed-time issue than the movie sucked issue. We will TRY to get through the second half tonight.

My beef, this one is just too John Wick unrealistic. The man is not Thor. One man and a 100 pound rail of a woman cannot take on an entire prison yard and win. Then there was the train... Like you can just have a train on standby... Then there is the Georgian "mafia" that is better equipped than the Ukraine government.

I know, it's fiction. At least TRY to make it believable. This one comes across like a Thor movie. Hemsworth comes across as tougher than Thor here without the lightning... Series has potential, but needs to be toned down just a little for the same reason that I cannot watch any of the follow up John Wick stuff. One man cannot take on an entire army with a 3-gun set up.

Yeah the first one was better....some things like the prison yard scene was a little far fetched....

AKDoug
06-22-23, 12:39
I once again suspended reality and watched 2. It was good enough to keep me entertained. Still better than 90% of the shit I can watch streaming. Well, back to YouTube for now.

militarymoron
06-22-23, 20:20
I watched John Wick 4 the other day and didn't like the "bullet-proof business suits" part of it. Just too physics-defying. I enjoyed Extraction 1 much more than 2 for sure.

mrbieler
06-24-23, 12:15
Home recovering in bed from shoulder surgery. Extraction 2 was a fine two hour diversion and my wife even sat through it with me.

They left open the door for a 3rd and I'll watch it. As long as I'm not paying theater ticket prices, I keep my expectations low.

BuzzinSATX
06-26-23, 10:53
I enjoyed both but agree it’s way over the top. The chopper-mini gun-building scene was goofy.

No doubt that Hemsworth is in excellent condition…serious conditioning and athletics for sure

WillBrink
06-26-23, 11:45
I was going to watch II and review, but I could not get passed 30-40 mins. Complete garbage compared to the first for me. Disappointing formulaic crap with some good fight scenes and such, not enough to keep me watching.

joedirt199
06-28-23, 08:24
I did other stuff around the house while this played in the back ground. Don't feel like I missed to many plot elements. Just another John Wick. Guess these types of movies are going to be the new Fast and Furious where they all follow the same cinamatography and are just ways of linking fight scenes together with no real story.

Alex V
06-28-23, 09:01
Extraction 1 was better than 2, but I still liked the second one.

It seemed very video-game-ish to me, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.