PDA

View Full Version : Good Trapdoor Repro?

sundance435
04-27-20, 09:32
The vintage gun thread got me thinking about a Trapdoor carbine. I’ve wanted one for years but the genuine article with a decent barrel is a little much for something I’d put a few rounds through a year and I’d be worried about destroying it since I don’t reload. Same for the slightly cheaper rifle to carbine chop jobs.

Are there any decent repros out there? I’ve seen the H&R ones from the 70’s, even had one show up locally, but I’ve read more than few stories about a flaw in the hinge lock or something like that.

Thanks for any help.

OH58D
04-27-20, 11:38
I've got an original Trapdoor Carbine which dates from 1879, and a Pedersoli re-make. The latter I have shot smokeless and blackpowder 45-70 405 grain thru. Actually very accurate and reliable little carbine. Highly recommend the re-make. The saddle ring is a nice touch as well.

Just checked on Gunbroker and there's plenty to be found, but they're pricey at @ $1600.00.

MountainRaven
04-27-20, 12:52
I would have no issues buying a Stoeger-imported Uberti Trapdoor.

OH58D
04-27-20, 14:15
I would have no issues buying a Stoeger-imported Uberti Trapdoor.
Davide Pedersoli makes them for Uberti.

ABNAK
04-27-20, 14:53
Dixie Gun Works sells them.

OH58D
04-27-20, 16:24
Here's a decent video review. Keep in mind the Cavalry Trooper issued these was also issued reduced power ammo - 45-55 405 instead of the 45-70. They'd have a cardboard spacer in the copper shell casing. The video shows the considerable kick in the carbine with a 70 grains of powder. I have a number of those in my collection, and my great-grandfather served with the 3rd US Cavalry in New Mexico, Arizona and the northern plains between 1872 and 1879.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qmFmOJ-q-Y

sundance435
04-28-20, 08:26
Thanks all. I’m weird about C&R/antique stuff and prefer to own the real deal only if I can safely shoot modern production ammo for the caliber. Even for a repro Trapdoor, I’m guessing I’m limited to cowboy loads because of the action.

Which model would’ve showed up in greater numbers on the Spanish American War, carbine or rifle? Anyone have an idea? Same for the Philippines.

Alpha-17
04-28-20, 08:30
Thanks all. I’m weird about C&R/antique stuff and prefer to own the real deal only if I can safely shoot modern production ammo for the caliber. Even for a repro Trapdoor, I’m guessing I’m limited to cowboy loads because of the action.

Which model would’ve showed up in greater numbers on the Spanish American War, carbine or rifle? Anyone have an idea? Same for the Philippines.

Rifle, by far.