PDA

View Full Version : Ranking of kits

g5m
11-24-08, 08:52
Has anyone ever put together a relative ranking of complete kits as far as quality is concerned?
I've read bits and pieces here and there.
But I was thinking more along the lines of Rob_S's 'list", but for kits.
Like Del-ton, model 1 sales, etc., etc.
Or, would it even be worthwhile?

No.6
11-24-08, 09:27
IMO, Grant at G&R has already done that. Just my .02, but I would just order a LPK from him. He can tailor it to meet what you need (ie. with or without a grip, trigger guard, etc.).

Don Robison
11-24-08, 09:30
The other issue is that most of the "smaller" builders i.e. model one, Del Ton buy the cheapest kits they can to keep their price point. One batch may be DPMS the next CMT. Since they don't build to a definable standard it's a crap shoot what you'll get.

FWIW, In my experience most of the smaller builders use DPMS LPKs because they are cheap.

g5m
11-24-08, 10:07
Thanks. I was thinking of complete rifle/carbine kits to be put on a stripped lower.

Don Robison
11-24-08, 10:23
Thanks. I was thinking of complete rifle/carbine kits to be put on a stripped lower.

My post still applies. They aren't going to buy one kit to sell retail under their name and a different kit to install in their builds.

g5m
11-24-08, 11:56
Yes it does apply. No question about it.
The price points seem to be pretty comparable and the kits now available seem to be a lot better overall than the things I started on 30+ years ago.