PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a spare Colt LE 6920 upper?

arken
04-28-20, 10:57
Hey guys,

Update on page 5: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?222694-What-to-do-with-a-spare-Colt-LE-6920-upper&p=2848426#post2848426

Hope everyone is doing okay. I have a spare Colt LE6920 upper magpul edition. I thought it’d be interesting to see what you’d do with it. Here are my options:

1. Do nothing. Just keep it in the safe. It’s part of the history.

OUT-----2. Build a new lower for it. Probably a pistol lower so I can use the lower for a pistol upper later on.

OUT-----3. Have the barrel cut down to 14.5” (with pinned and welded A2) for a more true M4 clone. Also need to build a new lower.

OUT-------4. Have the barrel cut down to 12-12.5” and build a pistol lower for it.

OUT-----5. Buy a new 11.5 or 12.5” barrel and reuse the Colt upper receiver to save $$. Build a pistol lower for it. Keep the Colt barrel.

OUT-----6. Sell it to fund for a BCM 11.5” pistol complete upper.

I’ll probably end up with a pistol AR of some sort at some point. Please share what you’d do and why.

Thanks!

robbins290
04-28-20, 11:20
sell it. Colt is hard to buy right now. I had to settle for a new FN patrol rifle as the colts were 500 dollars more.

rvanno
04-28-20, 11:39
I'd go with option 5. It sounds like you want a pistol and there is a lot of love for the 12.5 barrel (from a ballistics standpoint). Get a sba 3 brace. I cut down a noveske barrel once and I have always regretted it.

26 Inf
04-28-20, 11:47
I'd build a new rifle lower for it, cut the barrel to 14.5 if you feel the need, and keep it as an iron-sight shooter.

Since you are going 'cloneish' these lowers might be kind of okay:

https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-special-edition-m4-carbine-stripped-lower

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-m4a1-stripped-lower-receiver.html?avad=9441_a1a81e491&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

Hammer_Man
04-28-20, 16:05
Options 1 or 6.

Renegade
04-28-20, 17:03
Options 1 or 6.

yep

dont put money into a spare upper to make a frankengun.

alx01
04-28-20, 17:55
option 6. just sell it if you have no use for it and/or want something different.
I wouldn't part a Colt upper unless you have a specific reason or don't want to deal with the buy/sell cycle.

titsonritz
04-28-20, 18:10
I'm not into parting with much these days, I'd stash it for a spare as know quality and I don't give a crap about it's "part in history". I'll fund my pistol build by other means and little patience.

El Vaquero
04-28-20, 18:16
Cut it down to a 10.3” and put a Centurion Arms two piece rail on it make it into a pistol.

scooter22
04-28-20, 21:28
Anything other than Option 6.

I would rather have a properly cut down Colt upper than an over-gassed and less accurate BCM 11.5" any day.

JediGuy
04-28-20, 21:55
Good options...

6. - caveat: there are equal/better options than BCM these days.

arken
04-28-20, 23:55
Thank you all for the replies.

sell it. Colt is hard to buy right now. I had to settle for a new FN patrol rifle as the colts were 500 dollars more.

Options 1 or 6.

yep

dont put money into a spare upper to make a frankengun.

option 6. just sell it if you have no use for it and/or want something different.
I wouldn't part a Colt upper unless you have a specific reason or don't want to deal with the buy/sell cycle.

I'm not into parting with much these days, I'd stash it for a spare as know quality and I don't give a crap about it's "part in history". I'll fund my pistol build by other means and little patience.

Yep all good points. Half of me wants to sell the Colt since the price for it has gone up after Colt decided to stop selling them to civilians. But half of me wants to keep it because it's a 6920 and my 1st Ar15. The more I think about it, the less I want to make it into a frakengun.

I'd go with option 5. It sounds like you want a pistol and there is a lot of love for the 12.5 barrel (from a ballistics standpoint). Get a sba 3 brace. I cut down a noveske barrel once and I have always regretted it.
Yes, definitely a SBA3. But I think I am gonna cross option 5 out.

I'd build a new rifle lower for it, cut the barrel to 14.5 if you feel the need, and keep it as an iron-sight shooter.

Since you are going 'cloneish' these lowers might be kind of okay:

https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-special-edition-m4-carbine-stripped-lower

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-m4a1-stripped-lower-receiver.html?avad=9441_a1a81e491&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

The thing is though, my other carbine is a DD M4V1 with iron sights. And for some reason, I like shooting the DD more than the Colt. It shoots softer and feels more solid. The DD does weight a little more on the front though. If I build a complete rifle lower for the Colt upper, it will be pretty stay in the safe. So that's why I consider building a pistol lower to use for now, and later for a pistol build. Is that good thinking?

Cut it down to a 10.3” and put a Centurion Arms two piece rail on it make it into a pistol.
From my research, if I go down to 10.3, I think I need to have the gas port enlarge as well. For the 12.5", I'll just need to get it cut and rethread. Plus 11.5 -> 12.5 gives better performance which I like :)

So I think I am gonna cross option 5 out of the list.

arken
04-29-20, 00:03
Anything other than Option 6.

I would rather have a properly cut down Colt upper than an over-gassed and less accurate BCM 11.5" any day.

Is it really over gassed? With or without suppresor?

Good options...

6. - caveat: there are equal/better options than BCM these days.

Hmmm interesting. I though BCM is well loved here. Can you please list some of other options for complete upper for under $600?

I do consider to buy a complete AR pistol from Aero for around $700. But this is not related to the Colt :)

everready73
04-29-20, 09:57
If you cut it down to 11.5 or 10.3 you would need to open up the port a bit unless going suppressed only. The Colt 16'' carbine barrel is .0624 port i believe. You would want around .070 in that length range IMO for general

Stickman
04-29-20, 10:49
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing okay. I have a spare Colt LE6920 upper magpul edition. I thought it’d be interesting to see what you’d do with it. Here are my options:

1. Do nothing. Just keep it in the safe. It’s part of the history.

2. Build a new lower for it. Probably a pistol lower so I can use the lower for a pistol upper later on.

3. Have the barrel cut down to 14.5” (with pinned and welded A2) for a more true M4 clone. Also need to build a new lower.

4. Have the barrel cut down to 12-12.5” and build a pistol lower for it.

5. Buy a new 11.5 or 12.5” barrel and reuse the Colt upper receiver to save $$. Build a pistol lower for it. Keep the Colt barrel.

6. Sell it to fund for a BCM 11.5” pistol complete upper.

I’ll probably end up with a pistol AR of some sort at some point. Please share what you’d do and why.

Thanks!

I would go with none of the above. I would say to trade it off for stuff you so want, and will use. \

I don't like selling things, but I will trade if the right things come up. I'm going through a trade with someone on this board right now, and am having fun seeing what extra interesting things he might be interested in, and I don't think either of us are locking down exact dollar amounts of value to individual items. Its a lot more fun to deal with people that way. Trades can be a lot more beneficial to everyone.

1911-A1
04-29-20, 11:49
Personally I'd rebarrel it to something you need. There are better options than a 16" carbine gas barrel

Rogue556
04-29-20, 12:23
I'd buy a pistol lower and buy an SBA4 brace. Then I'd send the upper off to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works and chop it to 11.5" or 12.5" and have him open the port to the appropriate size.

If I'm remembering correctly, I paid $75 shipped to have him chop my 6920 barrel and open the gas port.

You'd have a great general purpose "pistol" with a nice barrel. No point in selling the Colt when it's already a perfect starting point.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hammer_Man
04-29-20, 13:57
I think you need to avoid making any modifications to that upper until you decided what you really want. If you don't really want/need anything right now, I would suggest squirreling it away. You can't undo a barrel chop.

04-29-20, 18:08
I'd just stash it as-is. Barrels occasionally wear out/blow up and it's never bad to have a spare handy.

While not Instagram sexy, a 6920 is still every bit the workhorse it ever was and better quality than most commercial stuff available.

You can build it up into whatever flavor of the month is cool this spring, or keep it a Colt assembly.

arken
04-29-20, 20:51
If you cut it down to 11.5 or 10.3 you would need to open up the port a bit unless going suppressed only. The Colt 16'' carbine barrel is .0624 port i believe. You would want around .070 in that length range IMO for general

Personally I'd rebarrel it to something you need. There are better options than a 16" carbine gas barrel

Yep understood. That's why I am thinking to go with 12" or 12.5" so I wouldn't have to mess with the gas port and reliability. I've read somewhere that it needs at lesa 5" of dwelling for reliable operations. Plus there is an advantage on the ballistic performance for the 12.5" too.

I'd buy a pistol lower and buy an SBA4 brace. Then I'd send the upper off to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works and chop it to 11.5" or 12.5" and have him open the port to the appropriate size.

If I'm remembering correctly, I paid $75 shipped to have him chop my 6920 barrel and open the gas port.

You'd have a great general purpose "pistol" with a nice barrel. No point in selling the Colt when it's already a perfect starting point.

Did you have the barrel cut before or after the M203 mount? "John Thomas" seems to come up pretty often from my search. Also ADCO is another name. Did you have to un-assemble everything and send in just the barrel with the iron sight? $75 shipped both way seems reasonable to me.

I would go with none of the above. I would say to trade it off for stuff you so want, and will use. \

I don't like selling things, but I will trade if the right things come up. I'm going through a trade with someone on this board right now, and am having fun seeing what extra interesting things he might be interested in, and I don't think either of us are locking down exact dollar amounts of value to individual items. Its a lot more fun to deal with people that way. Trades can be a lot more beneficial to everyone.

Thanks. But I am really not a big fan of trading stuff. Because there are too many variables and I'll have to wait for the right thing to come up. I have a local FFL that does a great job at shipping firearms at reasonable price. So I'd prefer to sell outright for the cash and buy what I want.

I think you need to avoid making any modifications to that upper until you decided what you really want. If you don't really want/need anything right now, I would suggest squirreling it away. You can't undo a barrel chop.

I'd just stash it as-is. Barrels occasionally wear out/blow up and it's never bad to have a spare handy.

While not Instagram sexy, a 6920 is still every bit the workhorse it ever was and better quality than most commercial stuff available.

You can build it up into whatever flavor of the month is cool this spring, or keep it a Colt assembly.

That's Option 1.

Guys, thank you for all of your replies. I think at this point, I only consider to keep it or have the barrel cut :)

Rogue556
04-29-20, 23:11
Did you have the barrel cut before or after the M203 mount? "John Thomas" seems to come up pretty often from my search. Also ADCO is another name. Did you have to un-assemble everything and send in just the barrel with the iron sight? $75 shipped both way seems reasonable to me.

I'm pretty sure I sent my barrel in disassembled, but I don't think I had to. I had mine chopped to 10.3" and the port opened to .070. John is good on communication, I'd just send him an email with whatever you wanted to know. I don't think I've ever heard of a bad experience with his work, and his turn around time is freakishly fast.

On a side note, a friend of mine had a pin and weld job done by ADCO and it honestly looked terrible. It works, but for the price he paid I'd have expected better. A few others here have had issues with ADCO as well.

Just an FYI.

scooter22
04-30-20, 00:20
An 11.5" BCM will be over gassed suppressed. BRT GP insert can rectify if needed.

Cut the 6920, and have a great and properly gassed SBR or pistol.

grizzlyblake
04-30-20, 07:22
Just sell the upper and buy what you want in the configuration you want. It's not 2007 anymore where you have to custom build anything that's not a 6920. You can buy nearly any possible configuration factory new off the shelf from an array of top tier manufacturers.

Thompie89
05-01-20, 10:15
Just sell the upper and buy what you want in the configuration you want. It's not 2007 anymore where you have to custom build anything that's not a 6920. You can buy nearly any possible configuration factory new off the shelf from an array of top tier manufacturers.

What he ^ says. Id sell it before I’d start chopping it up. Colt parts are hard to come by right now and are demanding a premium.. I actually just traded a 6920 upper and some other goods for a colt Socom upper.

Hispanic_Hercules
05-01-20, 21:52
Do nothing and leave it in the safe, its a Colt. Use the money you would have paid to have the barrel chopped and re-threaded and buy parts for a pistol build on the eq exchange.

Core781
05-01-20, 21:58
Barrels are cheap these days, don't cut them. Sell me the upper so I can swap it for the Aero on my SPR build.. :p

noonesshowmonkey
05-02-20, 00:03

...is that really settling?

VLODPG
05-02-20, 06:35
OUT-----6. Sell it to fund for a BCM 12.5” pistol complete upper.

LimaBravo
05-02-20, 10:59
I was in a similar position with a 6920 and I bought a Daniel Defense rail and left it alone. I wanted a replica/clone of the MK 18 Mod 0 so I found a used colt upper and proper 10.3 barrel. I didn’t want to cut down the barrel. I always had very good accuracy and was worried I’d mess that up. After I mounted the DD rail accuracy improved.

arken
05-02-20, 14:01
I was in a similar position with a 6920 and I bought a Daniel Defense rail and left it alone. I wanted a replica/clone of the MK 18 Mod 0 so I found a used colt upper and proper 10.3 barrel. I didn’t want to cut down the barrel. I always had very good accuracy and was worried I’d mess that up. After I mounted the DD rail accuracy improved.

Hey thanks for the response. Did you get the Omega 7” for it? The one thats drop-in and freefloat?

arken
05-02-20, 14:02
Barrels are cheap these days, don't cut them. Sell me the upper so I can swap it for the Aero on my SPR build.. :p

Lol. Not sure if you are serious.

LimaBravo
05-02-20, 14:24
Hey thanks for the response. Did you get the Omega 7” for it? The one thats drop-in and freefloat?
MFR 13.5 I believe....I’ve pulled it off and sold it. Went back to my Troy FF and waiting to get something like a Geissele rail. I had never considered going slim until I shot one a friend had. I’ve got to stop this expensive ADHD thing I have with AR’s. 😂

LimaBravo
05-02-20, 14:26
Messed up my reply and bottomed our on the thread.
I had an MFR 13.5 I think it was but I pulled it and sold it off. Returned to my original Troy TRX and I’m going to get a Giessele to cut a little weight and slim down.

arken
05-03-20, 14:36
Thanks for the details. So that means you either installed a low profile gas block or shaved off the FSB. You know what, I am thinking to add another option at this point:

7. Convert it into a flat top: install a low profile gas block and a FF rail of some sort. This will allow me to reverse it back to the original form quickly vs. shaving off the FSB.

MFR 13.5 I believe....I’ve pulled it off and sold it. Went back to my Troy FF and waiting to get something like a Geissele rail. I had never considered going slim until I shot one a friend had. I’ve got to stop this expensive ADHD thing I have with AR’s. ��

Messed up my reply and bottomed our on the thread.
I had an MFR 13.5 I think it was but I pulled it and sold it off. Returned to my original Troy TRX and I’m going to get a Giessele to cut a little weight and slim down.

rooster2412
05-10-20, 18:38
If it's unfired I'd be interested in the upper receiver & BCG. Shoot me a DM if your interested in selling those parts

arken
05-11-20, 10:10
If it's unfired I'd be interested in the upper receiver & BCG. Shoot me a DM if your interested in selling those parts

Thanks. It's been fired about 500 rounds as of now.

Guys, I've decided to keep it as is. I am gonna set it up as a SHTF/HD "lightweight" rifle with a red dot and a light. I might throw in a 7" MI drop in quad rail (it's pretty light @ 7.5oz). The Magpul SL handguard is actually right at 7oz. I was surprised.

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-11-20, 12:22

Guys, I've decided to keep it as is. I am gonna set it up as a SHTF/HD "lightweight" rifle with a red dot and a light. I might throw in a 7" MI drop in quad rail (it's pretty light @ 7.5oz). The Magpul SL handguard is actually right at 7oz. I was surprised.

That’s the best answer. Nothing wrong with the upper. You can find some rails like Centurion or Troy that will work with the FSP you have or you can shave it down. That barrel may not be match grade but it’s a good barrel.

titsonritz
05-11-20, 12:55

DD makes an Mlok version of their drop-in FF Omega rail, weighs 6.7 oz.
https://danieldefense.com/omega-rail-7-0-m-lok.html

MikhailBarracuda91
05-11-20, 13:18
https://danieldefense.com/omega-rail-7-0-m-lok.htmlThe Omega handguards are very proven! Especially the quad rail version. I don't think you can find a product with better value than this. I love Centurion Arms, but these are so convenient

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

arken
05-11-20, 20:45
That’s the best answer. Nothing wrong with the upper. You can find some rails like Centurion or Troy that will work with the FSP you have or you can shave it down. That barrel may not be match grade but it’s a good barrel.

https://danieldefense.com/omega-rail-7-0-m-lok.html

The Omega handguards are very proven! Especially the quad rail version. I don't think you can find a product with better value than this. I love Centurion Arms, but these are so convenient

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thank you for the support :)

I'll look into those options. They are quite $$$ though. I like Midwest Industries for their quality and lower price point.

05-11-20, 21:38

If you want to turn a wrench you could put on a BCM quad rail and save weight.

A 6920 setup how you're considering:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-S3cJFPX/0/X3/i-S3cJFPX-X3.jpg

arken
05-14-20, 17:28
If you want to turn a wrench you could put on a BCM quad rail and save weight.

A 6920 setup how you're considering:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-S3cJFPX/0/X3/i-S3cJFPX-X3.jpg

That's a nice setup!

I might hammer out the A2 sight roll pins someday but not feeling like it right now. Probably gonna go with a drop-in solution. Strongly considering the Midwest Industry 7" drop in.

Core781
05-14-20, 17:39
That's a nice setup!

I might hammer out the A2 sight roll pins someday but not feeling like it right now. Probably gonna go with a drop-in solution. Strongly considering the Midwest Industry 7" drop in.

Taper pins? Honestly nothing better than Colts taper pins. Or a shaved FSP. You can re-pin with the original FSP but you cannot use a different FSP and get it to fit rock solid. They recommend that you replace the taper pins with fresh ones after two installations: so on the third removal. Ken Elmore of SAW used to shave FSPs. And I believe ADCO may shave them?

SmugPePe
05-14-20, 17:53
I would keep it, I believe you might be kind of guy that miss this upper in future. Otherwise, sell especially right now you can get good price for it and put the money toward something you really want. Maybe you need a nice scope, a really nice one?

Core781
05-14-20, 18:27
I would keep it, I believe you might be kind of guy that miss this upper in future. Otherwise, sell especially right now you can get good price for it and put the money toward something you really want. Maybe you need a nice scope, a really nice one?

Good advice. When he said upper I initially thought upper receiver. Since it's the upper assembly, I recommended he keep it. The value will only go up at this point, because Colt Defense may not be selling anymore in the foreseeable future. I would not part with any Colt parts.

arken
05-31-20, 19:12
Wow I am glad you guys told me to keep it. I can always save more money to buy new things so selling will not make much different.

Anyway here is how it’s looking right now:

MI drop-in quad rail
Holosun 510c
DD fixed rear sight
CMMG ambi charging handle
BCM grip, fore grip, and trigger guard
Larue rail covers on top and bottom
Magpul rail ladders on the sides
Magpul MS4 sling
Streamlight Protac 2HL (not sure if it holds up well - only 200 rounds thru it)

Love the look!

Core781
05-31-20, 20:16
Wow I am glad you guys told me to keep it. I can always save more money to buy new things so selling will not make much different.

Anyway here is how it’s looking right now:

MI drop-in quad rail
Holosun 510c
DD fixed rear sight
CMMG ambi charging handle
BCM grip, fore grip, and trigger guard
Larue rail covers on top and bottom
Magpul rail ladders on the sides
Magpul MS4 sling
Streamlight Protac 2HL (not sure if it holds up well - only 200 rounds thru it)

Love the look!

Nice. I like the pinned FSP better than a low pro gas block any day. Unless you are running a SPR or DMR the pinned FSP is optimal from my perspective. My 10” has a FSP I considered swapping for a gas block but whats the point? Id have to buy a high end hand guard and float a barrel that cant shoot beyond 200 meters anyway. No point. A Colt FSP is battle ready.