PDA

View Full Version : Offset RMR mounting on handguard question

TACAV
04-30-20, 11:00
Looking for some extra thoughts.

I recently did a big optics swap on a few of my guns to try out different set ups.

I had a LPVO Trijicon 1-6x with an offset 45 degree RMR on an AR15. Had been running that for several years. The 1-6x had a Larue mount that I could slide the offset RMR mount under the front elevated end so both mounts were actually mounted to the upper receiver.

I recently moved the 1-6x to my SCAR17 and put a 4X ACOG on my AR15. From the rear of the of the upper receiver I have a Troy folding rear BUIS then my ACOG in an ADM Mount as far back as it goes and then I wanted to put in my offset RMR in front of that.

++Yea I know I have three sighting systems (ACOG /RMR and BUIS)... some might call that overly redundant in today's age of quality optics I get it...but none the less.

I cant fit my RMR in front of the ACOG as there isnt enough space on the upper receiver... my top receiver rail hits that solid section and then transitions to my handguard which is a BCM KMR... So Im stuck mounting the RMR to the handguard top rail.

Normally you try not to mount optics to the hand guard.

The RMR is going to have a 50 yard zero for close in shooting when I dont want to use the ACOG. Is mounting it here going to be that detrimental to keeping a good zero or should I just ditch the BUIS and move the ACOG farther back to make room for the RMR. I also dont want to do the whole ACOG/RMR piggy back thing.

Thanks for the input.

ExplorinInTheWoods
05-01-20, 21:42
I have a VCOG 1-6 and a RMR offset with a ADM QD mount. I run the RMR on the rail (seekins SA3) because I have the battery compartment on the VCOG and the latch of the ADM interfere’s with the charging handle. No problems so far. I use the 50yd zero. Have a quality rail and a good mount should be fine. Have it closer to the receiver since if there is flex with the rail it would be worse the further out on the rail.

TACAV
05-01-20, 21:47
Thanks!

Valhalla
05-01-20, 23:54
BCM KMR are pretty solid, plus they have a clamp-block to act as anti-rotation device. As long as you torque everything down properly, you should not have any issue. Just mount the RMR offset as close to the upper receiver as possible, and don't use your AR15 as a hammer.

The "practical" accuracy requirement for a close-range red dot isn't much different than iron sights anyway, and people have been running irons on hand guards forever. Just bolt it on, don't worry about it, and go train some more!

VT.

Furbyballer
05-02-20, 09:36
If there is a shift it will be smaller than your dot size and not noticeable. Grab a Knights or arisaka offset and go to town.

calicojack
05-03-20, 15:55
I have no first hand knowledge of the product, other than it exists; but trex arms has a mount that is supposed to be low profile enough to fit under recon style mounts

TACAV
05-04-20, 16:18
Cool so far its working out.

Thanks for the replies everyone.