PDA

View Full Version : ALL CANADA POLICE STATE THREADS HERE - Canada looking to ban all semi-auto rifles?

SomeOtherGuy
04-30-20, 15:30
This seems to be just recently in the news:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-politics-guns/canada-set-to-ban-11-categories-of-assault-rifles-other-weapons-source-idUSKBN22C3NS

This MSM article refers to "assault rifles," but reports I've seen on less mainstream sites suggest it would be a ban on all semiauto firearms.

Any Canadian members here, or anyone who follows this stuff?

AKDoug
04-30-20, 15:38
Good luck with that. My relatives were part of the refusing to comply with mandatory registration back in the 90's. Their attitudes and that of millions of Canadians hasn't changed much. It'll be interesting to watch for sure. I'm pretty sure New Zealand's ban resulted in about 10% compliance.

yellowfin
04-30-20, 17:24
Good luck with that. My relatives were part of the refusing to comply with mandatory registration back in the 90's. Their attitudes and that of millions of Canadians hasn't changed much. It'll be interesting to watch for sure. I'm pretty sure New Zealand's ban resulted in about 10% compliance.

The fact of making people have to hide to keep something is the goal. It's about squashing gun culture, making it impossible to be an activist and completely uninteresting to be a new gun owner. Semi autos are what's fun to own thus more practical than the Fudds who own 11 month expensive doorstops and wallhangers--few people are going to want to be the next generation of that. Gun stores close because there's nobody interested to buy, then a generation or so later there's nothing. AWB's are a death sentence to gun ownership in total. That's why anti gun politicians push them like it's their life's mission.

davidjinks
04-30-20, 17:54
Aren’t they always looking to ban guns? This isn’t really anything new right?

223to45
05-01-20, 11:22
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/canada-assault-weapons-ban-trudeau-nova-scotia-shooting

The prime minister announced a two-year “amnesty period” to allow gun owners to comply with the law. The ban covers 1,500 models and variants of firearms.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WillBrink
05-01-20, 11:43
Taking advantage of the open power vacuum, metro boy takes advantage of it. 1500? That's obviously going to include a lot of stuff not remotely relevant:

Trudeau announces ban on 1,500 types of 'assault-style' firearms — effective immediately

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today announced a ban on some 1,500 makes and models of military-grade "assault-style" weapons in Canada, effective immediately.

Starting today, licensed gun owners will no longer be allowed to sell, transport, import or use these sorts of weapons in this country.

"As of today, the market for assault weapons in Canada is closed," Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said. "Enough is enough. Banning these firearms will save Canadian lives."

Trudeau said there will be a two-year amnesty period to allow people who already own these firearms to comply with the ban. Trudeau promised to pass legislation in the coming months to provide "fair compensation" to people who own these firearms.

The Liberal Party promised some sort of buyback program in the last election, something that could cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars.

The ban will be enacted through regulations approved by an order-in-council from cabinet — not through legislation. Trudeau said the government was ready to enact this campaign promise months ago, before the COVID-19 pandemic disrupted the legislative agenda.

All Canadians must be in compliance with the law by April 2022, Justice Minister David Lametti said, adding that gun owners who have not disposed of their banned firearms by that point could face sanctions under the Criminal Code.

While there is an amnesty period, the firearms cannot be used anywhere as of today. Lametti said firearms owners may return the firearms to the manufacturer or export them as part of a sale between now and 2022.

"These weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only ... to kill the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time," Trudeau said.

While he acknowledged that most firearms owners are law-abiding citizens, he said hunters don't need this sort of firepower.

Cont:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-gun-control-measures-ban-1.5552131

Vic79
05-01-20, 11:51
I’d like to laugh at them but I’m sure will have our turn at it here before too long. Anyway sucks to be them. It will be interesting to see what their compliance rate is. Or if they’re going to water the tree of liberty LOL.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-01-20, 11:56
The new ban would probably not have stopped Wortman from obtaining his weapons: he did not have a license to possess or purchase firearms, and police have said they believe the guns were obtained illegally in Canada and the United States.

you can't make stuff up like that...

kerplode
05-01-20, 12:55
We're gonna get one of these bans here, too. Probably sooner rather than later given the direction things are going.

BoringGuy45
05-01-20, 13:11
We're gonna get one of these bans here, too. Probably sooner rather than later given the direction things are going.

The difference is, there's a fighting chance that it wouldn't survive the current Supreme Court. I don't think Canada recognizes the right to bear arms. For us, four of the justices are pro-gun for sure, and though I don't completely trust him, Roberts has mostly ruled in favor of the 2nd Amendment.

The silver lining to this pandemic is that it's going to make more gun bans extremely difficult to accept in the U.S.

SomeOtherGuy
05-01-20, 13:58
The difference is, there's a fighting chance that it wouldn't survive the current Supreme Court. I don't think Canada recognizes the right to bear arms. For us, four of the justices are pro-gun for sure, and though I don't completely trust him, Roberts has mostly ruled in favor of the 2nd Amendment.

That's one huge difference. Two others:

1) The Second Amendment. Yeah, it's been ignored and misrepresented repeatedly, but it's something.

2) Public views. The Canadian newspaper articles claim that 80% of Canadians support "assault weapon bans." Without knowing what that means, who was polled or if it was entirely made up, that seems plausible if you know Canadian demographics and their typical views on govt. The US is nowhere near 80%. You might get as high as 60% if you blatantly lie about the question, or somewhere in the 40% range if more honest and not polled right after some atrocity. Huge difference in maybe having a slight majority vs. CA seemingly having a supermajority.

Diamondback
05-01-20, 13:59
My prayers to our northerly brethren. #WexitSolidarity

Esq.
05-01-20, 14:35
The next person that tells you that Registration could never end in confiscation.....put them on your "people needing special attention" list.....

Business_Casual
05-01-20, 14:45
"These weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only ... to kill the largest amount of people in the shortest amount of time," Trudeau said.

That seems a rather imminent threat, odd that he can wait through two years of utter carnage before the ban is implemented.

Mysteryman
05-01-20, 15:03
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/canada-assault-weapons-ban-trudeau-nova-scotia-shooting

The prime minister announced a two-year “amnesty period” to allow gun owners to comply with the law. The ban covers 1,500 models and variants of firearms.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's some context for you folks as this directly effects me.

The amnesty means you can keep your guns at home. The OIC Order In Council stated that the use, transport, sale, or transfer(AR's are registered) is prohibited immediately. In theory you can't do anything but sit on your guns and wait. The amnesty is a joke.

The silver lining to this pandemic is that it's going to make more gun bans extremely difficult to accept in the U.S.

We don't have a 2A up here. We are governed under the guidance of British common law which recognizes the right to self defense but has no specific provisions.

Some other tidibits for you. The OIC includes RPG's, Milan missiles, multiple makes of mortars, and some rifles that have never been available to the public. The list is simply a blanket policy to cover as many guns as possible. Oddly the SKS has not been listed. However uppers have been listed as prohibited items. Steel tubes are now a dangerous prohibited device.. **** I hate this retard who calls himself PM and all libtard morons.

Hank6046
05-01-20, 16:01

I really don't feel that by next year the masses will forget about Covid, the panic that they felt, the reason that they ran to buy a gun, and fall back inline with the progressive agenda. They'll be worried about the new super hero movie and completely forget that the grocery store shelves started to empty, and that cops were told to be hands off from certain crimes. They will forget, and we'll have to stay vigilant.

BoringGuy45
05-01-20, 16:12
I really don't feel that by next year the masses will forget about Covid, the panic that they felt, the reason that they ran to buy a gun, and fall back inline with the progressive agenda. They'll be worried about the new super hero movie and completely forget that the grocery store shelves started to empty, and that cops were told to be hands off from certain crimes. They will forget, and we'll have to stay vigilant.

Agreed. We can never, never, NEVER let our guard down. Even if we had a string of huge victories in the SC (AWBs and magazine bans all overturned, shall issue/universal carry, etc.) the antigunners would STILL find ways to enact laws that would, in practice, make gun ownership a burden.

jsbhike
05-01-20, 16:32
That seems a rather imminent threat, odd that he can wait through two years of utter carnage before the ban is implemented.

So he is admitting Canada wishes to engage in genocide since their LE have them and the possession of the rifles has to be for one purpose and one purpose only.

flenna
05-01-20, 16:39
Creepy Uncle Joe recently released his gun control plan and it is right up there with Canada’s.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-01-20, 17:56

The key to Roberts is for him to think that if votes to ban them that gun owners will not accept it and cause carnage. He is so averse to causing ripples, ala the BS with Obama-care. Either make them legal or the blood on the streets will be his fault. Would it wouldn’t it happen, I don’t know but RINOs hate conflict.

Vic79
05-01-20, 20:41
It’s for the greater good! Clearly gun violence is a public health emergency and action had to be taken. How dare you people view the victims of gun violence as cannon fodder. All of you need to trust your elected officials, they truly have your best interest in mind. I have no doubt Trudeau consulted countless experts and only arrived at this decision after countless hours of reviewing the expert’s data.

Hank6046
05-01-20, 20:57
Agreed. We can never, never, NEVER let our guard down. Even if we had a string of huge victories in the SC (AWBs and magazine bans all overturned, shall issue/universal carry, etc.) the antigunners would STILL find ways to enact laws that would, in practice, make gun ownership a burden.

Yeah, I just think of how many people turned out for Virginia, how successful it went and how it was actually covered by the media, good and bad, and they passed everything except for the assault weapons ban, which was tabled. Not off the table, it is just waiting for another shooting of some sort, and then it will probably be pushed forward. I really hope we can be vigilant. I really hope we can turn somethings around, but as of now, we need to change a lot of minds in this country, and we don't seem to be doing a good job of it. Everyone wants to focus on how the democrats are split and how unbalanced Biden is, and all the while we can't even get a stimulus bill passed because we still hold a slight majority, against (and I'm including the media and other sources in this) an overwhelming minority of places to go for truth and substance.

Uni-Vibe
05-01-20, 22:02
Has anybody in authority said what the gun was?

Tx_Aggie
05-01-20, 23:02
Has anybody in authority said what the gun was?

Some Canadian publications have mentioned one of the guns used was a Mini-14

titsonritz
05-01-20, 23:18
Some Canadian publications have mentioned one of the guns used was a Mini-14

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun."

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-01-20, 23:21

It’s not the honest people that I’m worried about defending my family from...

Tx_Aggie
05-01-20, 23:43

Why not just make that 2 or 3...

Tx_Aggie
05-01-20, 23:45
Here's the text of Trudeau's decree if anyone's interested. The first 52 pages are a list of banned types and individual models (many of which I think were already illegal under Canadian law), the text begins on page 53:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6880974-Canada-Gazette-May-1-2020-Part-II.html

In PDF format:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6880974/Canada-Gazette-May-1-2020-Part-II.pdf

A few excerpts:

The Regulations have been amended to prescribe as prohibited approximately 1500 models of firearms. Of those, nine principal models of assault-style firearms are prohibited as they
(1) have semi-automatic action with sustained rapid-fire capability (tactical/military design with large magazine capacity),
(2) are of modern design,
and (3) are present in large volumes in the Canadian market.

The Regulations also prescribe the upper receivers of M16, AR-10, AR-15 and M4 pattern firearms to be prohibited devices in order to ensure that these firearms cannot easily be used with illicitly manufactured or acquired lower receivers.

Extensive public engagement on the issue of banning handguns and assault-style firearms, led by the then Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction, took place between October 2018 and February 2019 with the provinces and territories, municipalities, Indigenous groups, law enforcement, community organizations, and industry.

Many participants expressed their views that a ban on assault-style firearms was needed in order to protect public safety. As a result of the clear need for immediate action to implement the ban on the prescribed prohibited firearms, and to avoid a potential run on the market, no additional consultations with the public, the provinces and territories, or Indigenous groups were contemplated prior to the effective date of the amendment to the Classification Regulations.

There is also a risk that affected firearms owners may elect to replace their firearms with models unaffected by the ban, causing a market displacement. This risk may be mitigated by adding additional makes and models to the list of prohibited firearms in the future.

marZ1
05-02-20, 00:38
I love Colion's perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fV-i3QDR6g&feature=em-uploademail

mildot
05-02-20, 00:49
https://i.imgur.com/Ffd5yCf.jpg

sgtrock82
05-02-20, 07:59
https://i.imgur.com/Ffd5yCf.jpg....ehhh!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

TomMcC
05-02-20, 09:41

Good ole' Bill?

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-02-20, 10:06
I love Colion's perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fV-i3QDR6g&feature=em-uploademail

Is that sign language in French and English?

WillBrink
05-02-20, 11:17
My Canadian pal says:

"Won't do much for about 2 years. By that time someone else will be in charge and things will change... we get these threats ever so often. I'm mad because this is the first "its official " but its not. Because the house didn't pass it, and they didn't release funding to do the buy back. So this is only the PM throwing his weight around"

I hope that's the case!

titsonritz
05-05-20, 00:49
It’s not the honest people that I’m worried about defending my family from...

I think you're missing my dig on Bill Ruger and the reported use of a Mini-14.

Mysteryman
05-06-20, 12:57
My Canadian pal says:

"Won't do much for about 2 years. By that time someone else will be in charge and things will change... we get these threats ever so often. I'm mad because this is the first "its official " but its not. Because the house didn't pass it, and they didn't release funding to do the buy back. So this is only the PM throwing his weight around"

I hope that's the case!

Your friend is misinformed. An order in council (OIC) does not need to be passed on the floor. Furthermore bill c71 has already passed and received royal assent, meaning it is law. C71 has not been given an in effect date yet. C71 covers anything and everything else not included in the OIC. Which by the way the OIC if you read the text indicates it is a living document and the list may be added to as phuckface sees fit.

For giggles look at page 42. It lists Javelin missiles, 81mm mortars. Hk automatic grenade launchers are also mentioned as are RPG's. All items that have never been available.

SomeOtherGuy
05-06-20, 13:25
Your friend is misinformed. An order in council (OIC) does not need to be passed on the floor. Furthermore bill c71 has already passed and received royal assent, meaning it is law. C71 has not been given an in effect date yet. C71 covers anything and everything else not included in the OIC. Which by the way the OIC if you read the text indicates it is a living document and the list may be added to as phuckface sees fit.

For giggles look at page 42. It lists Javelin missiles, 81mm mortars. Hk automatic grenade launchers are also mentioned as are RPG's. All items that have never been available.

But does it ban the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator? No decent country would allow their citizens to run around with an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!

If someone who writes this BS is reading and sympathetic - toss in lots of references to "dangerous" weapons. Like the Remington Mini-14, the H&K-47, the Sig Sauer MP5k, Armalite BAR, Colt Arms Co. model 17, etc. etc. And be sure to include that the list is to be applied literally.