PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy for wanting to do this to my Colt?

MWAG19919
04-30-20, 15:48
I have a 14.5” Colt SOCOM upper I bought from G&R that has a SF brake pinned and welded quite nicely. It’s actually so beautifully done that I initially didn’t think it was pinned. However, as much as I like the KISS nature of the plastic handguard that it’s currently wearing, I want to add a free float rail and make this my “RECCE/accuracy” oriented rifle. I’m probably going to use an angle grinder to cut down the FSB and install a rail, but I have a couple directions I can go.

Option 1: Centurion C4 12” and be done with it. I’m not in love with the brake but I don’t exactly hate it either. If I drop $300 on a rail that uses the standard bbl nut I’m sticking with the brake

Option 2: send it to someone and have the brake removed, cut the bbl down to 13.7, install SOLGW NOX that I already have, and have a new rail installed (most likely a SOLGW M76 if it ever comes in stock).

Option 1 is the easy button, but I’ve always wanted a 13.7 P&W. Does anyone know about how much this route would cost, and who does good work? I was going to ask SOLGW if they’d do it but I saw in their thread that they’re no longer doing gunsmithing while they catch up.

PracticalRifleman
04-30-20, 16:04
I think I would start from scratch because you’re going to ruin a $150 muzzle device and damage the barrel if you make a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottryan
04-30-20, 16:06
I think I would start from scratch because you’re going to ruin a $150 muzzle device and damage the barrel if you make a mistake.

I agree.

Sell off the parts you don't want and buy the parts you do want.

These rework projects never pan out and take up too much time and money.

OP, does your location allow SBRs?

MWAG19919
04-30-20, 16:10
I agree.

Sell off the parts you don't want and buy the parts you do want.

These rework projects never pan out and take up too much time and money.

OP, does your location allow SBRs?

Sort of. I’m in IL, but I have my 03 curio and relic FFL, so I can legally Form 1 my Colt Lower. Not crazy about registering anything, especially behind enemy lines.

dmd08
04-30-20, 16:16
What's the point of a 13.7 vs 14.5 if they're both pinned and welded to 16"?

scottryan
04-30-20, 16:17
Sort of. I’m in IL, but I have my 03 curio and relic FFL, so I can legally Form 1 my Colt Lower. Not crazy about registering anything, especially behind enemy lines.

I'd register the lower on a form 1.

Wake27
04-30-20, 16:21

Depending on the muzzle device, the 14.5 may actually be longer than 16.1.

MWAG19919
04-30-20, 16:21

Vanity mostly. I like the look of a 13.x” rail with a 13.7” barrel. That M76 wedge lock looks rock solid, and I like the offset MLOK slots for a scout light. That, and I figure if I remove the brake I might as well use the NOX I already have on hand. I know there’s no practical benefit to a 13.7 over a 14.5 or vice versa, and I’ll lose a small amount of velocity.

MWAG19919
04-30-20, 16:30
I'd register the lower on a form 1.

Interesting. I’d probably spend the same amount either way, and at least with an SBR I can change rails and muzzle devices more easily. And I wouldn’t necessarily have to cut the FSB at all...

Sry0fcr
04-30-20, 20:56
How many rounds do you have through the tube on this upper?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MWAG19919
04-30-20, 21:41
How many rounds do you have through the tube on this upper?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just shy of 500 rounds

El Vaquero
05-01-20, 00:30
I did similar and have no regrets. I got a Surefire pinned and welded and had my 14.5 cut down to around 14 so it would just make the 16” mark. I have no regrets and it looks very clean with a 13” rail. There’s nothing wrong with doing it for vanity purposes, lol. I have lots of purpose built rifles and wanted that way because I can.

MegademiC
05-01-20, 07:27
If a silencer is not being considered, option 1 is the practical option, unless you absolutely hate the brake.
If you really just want a 13.7 and nox, selling off the upper and building a new one would be best, financially
If money isnt a big deal, you can try to salvage the brake and sell it.

Imo 13.7 only makes sense if you are married to a specific device, especially if mounting a silencer.

MegademiC
05-01-20, 07:28
Duplicate

Sry0fcr
05-01-20, 08:50
Vanity mostly. I like the look of a 13.x” rail with a 13.7” barrel. That M76 wedge lock looks rock solid, and I like the offset MLOK slots for a scout light. That, and I figure if I remove the brake I might as well use the NOX I already have on hand. I know there’s no practical benefit to a 13.7 over a 14.5 or vice versa, and I’ll lose a small amount of velocity.

Might as well go with Option 2, that seems to be what you really want to do. You're only really considering the CM4 tube because you can install it with less hassle. If you're going to build a primary URG, build it the way you want it. If it's secondary or tertiary upper, then maybe hit the easy button.

TommyG
05-01-20, 09:19
Might as well go with Option 2, that seems to be what you really want to do. You're only really considering the CM4 tube because you can install it with less hassle. If you're going to build a primary URG, build it the way you want it. If it's secondary or tertiary upper, then maybe hit the easy button.

C4 Mlok is a great option for this upper. There is even an FSP version. I would build a new upper if you want to go shorter. The cost to chop, thread and re-pin your current barrel as well as a FSB chop and refinish would be a pretty good start toward another complete upper.

Beat Trash
05-01-20, 09:24
Just shy of 500 rounds

I would just sell off the upper and buy/build one that meets your needs.

justin_247
05-01-20, 10:00
C4 Mlok is a great option for this upper. There is even an FSP version. I would build a new upper if you want to go shorter. The cost to chop, thread and re-pin your current barrel as well as a FSB chop and refinish would be a pretty good start toward another complete upper.

I would just sell off the upper and buy/build one that meets your needs.

I second both of these. This is a solid option:
https://www.centurionarms.com/c4-mlok-rail-12in-fsp-p/081912p.htm

And if you're not running a Dead Air can, why on earth would you cut down a perfectly good barrel to install a mount for one?

Stickman
05-01-20, 18:50
https://stickgunner.tumblr.com/image/612231672698683392

https://stickgunner.tumblr.com/image/612157787524431872

https://stickgunner.tumblr.com/image/612157699512238080

MagpulBuff
05-02-20, 23:46
It's yours, go for it!

tim808
05-03-20, 11:33
As others have said, sell the upper and buy something or build something you want.

I think it would be less expensive, faster and simpler

Personally, I would keep the upper, get another upper and build another lower down the road. You know this is the only correct answer :-)

Anyone telling you to sell the upper doesn’t have brd and shouldn’t be trusted :-)

lowprone
05-03-20, 16:27
If your gonna sell the upper, do it quick,
in a few months there will be tons of stuff
up for sale that the panicked bought @ high retail.