PDA

View Full Version : KAC sand cutter BCG

MeanCarbine
04-30-20, 20:37
I found these video interesting. Anyone here seen them before? Anyone ever have a problem with the gas key fasteners on their sand cutter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ0gWT6Hx9w

MeanCarbine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Juwqz25HE

MeanCarbine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoedyFns-lE&t=1716s

turnburglar
04-30-20, 21:56
Where any of these BCG's even shot?

That LMT bolt looked nice.

MeanCarbine
04-30-20, 21:57
Where any of these BCG's even shot?

That LMT bolt looked nice.

Yeah. The BCG in the first video had a broken gas key screw.

justin_247
05-01-20, 09:34
"Instructor Chad" / SOTAR is an awesome YouTube channel. A wealth of good info.

Failure2Stop
05-01-20, 11:37
We had some bad screws from the supplier that had an improper chamfer, and had a staking fixture/process that could apply staking in a negative way. Also had some very early carrier keys with YFS screws. All of the above were caught and corrected a while ago, but some did make it out.
I addressed these points of product improvement on SOTAR's FB.

As always, if it got to a customer wrong, we'll fix it.

Pappabear
05-04-20, 16:45
Jack is the bolt on the sandcutter similar to the LMT Bolts. Ive heard they are quite similar?? I never studies mine side by side.

How about the BCG on the M110 vs MWS ?

You guys are nice to LMT, that much I know. I'm sure it goes back and forth.

PB

hotrodder636
05-04-20, 19:40
I have 2 KAC BCGs, one sandcutter, one not. Neither have any issues with carrier key screws/gas leakage. I even did the reverse torque check Chad shows. FYI, Chad is a member on here.

I found these video interesting. Anyone here seen them before? Anyone ever have a problem with the gas key fasteners on their sand cutter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ0gWT6Hx9w

The sandcutter I got came sans bolt. I have a spare KAC SR15 bolt and will likely get another good quality one and figure out what I want to use it in :)

Jack is the bolt on the sandcutter similar to the LMT Bolts. Ive heard they are quite similar?? I never studies mine side by side.

PB

Straight Shooter
05-04-20, 19:45
We had some bad screws from the supplier that had an improper chamfer, and had a staking fixture/process that could apply staking in a negative way. Also had some very early carrier keys with YFS screws. All of the above were caught and corrected a while ago, but some did make it out.
I addressed these points of product improvement on SOTAR's FB.

As always, if it got to a customer wrong, we'll fix it.

I changed out the YFS screws on new, unfired Young MFG NM BCG before I ever fired it...installed OCKS, staked..and now one less thing to worry about.

Failure2Stop
05-05-20, 08:59
PB

Our 5.56 (E3) bolts are pretty different than anything else out there in the 5.56 world. Rounded lugs for reduced stress risers in the bolt, reduced cam pin hole for a stronger web, repositioned extractor pivot position for better mechanical advantage on the extractor, and more reinforcement on the lugs beside the extractor. 20k bolt life on short barrel suppressed guns (yeah, springs still need to be changed at their normal intervals).

The SR-25 and the MWS bolt carriers were very similar, but then both took diverging but similar paths. The lug dimensions are close enough to at least be nominally cross-compatible. LMT does good stuff, I hold Carl and his crew in high regard.

Pappabear
05-05-20, 14:43
Our 5.56 (E3) bolts are pretty different than anything else out there in the 5.56 world. Rounded lugs for reduced stress risers in the bolt, reduced cam pin hole for a stronger web, repositioned extractor pivot position for better mechanical advantage on the extractor, and more reinforcement on the lugs beside the extractor. 20k bolt life on short barrel suppressed guns (yeah, springs still need to be changed at their normal intervals).

The SR-25 and the MWS bolt carriers were very similar, but then both took diverging but similar paths. The lug dimensions are close enough to at least be nominally cross-compatible. LMT does good stuff, I hold Carl and his crew in high regard.

Thanks Jack

PB

Slater
05-05-20, 15:03
"Sandcutter" makes me think of certain FAL bolt carriers that had "sand cuts" in them.

Failure2Stop
05-06-20, 16:57
"Sandcutter" makes me think of certain FAL bolt carriers that had "sand cuts" in them.

That's pretty much the origin.

SOTAR
05-14-20, 01:27
Happy to see M4c enjoying my work.

Chad

SOTAR
05-14-20, 01:31
For those reading, I have consistently observed Jack Leuba go out of his way to take care of KAC owners.

We're fortunate to have someone like him to help us out.

rushca01
05-14-20, 07:02
For those reading, I have consistently observed Jack Leuba go out of his way to take care of KAC owners.

I really enjoy your videos! Thanks for sharing them.

Caduceus
05-14-20, 07:10

I'll second that. I've exchanged a few emails even before I was a KAC owner - his consistent behavior is one of the reasons I am.

Wake27
05-14-20, 07:40
I'll second that. I've exchanged a few emails even before I was a KAC owner - his consistent behavior is one of the reasons I am.

Yup, also agreed. His posts on here are a big part of the reason that I have one upper and have plans to buy at least one more plus a few suppressors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Failure2Stop
05-14-20, 08:21

Thanks man, I appreciate your attention to detail.

TMS951
05-14-20, 20:15

Chad

This thread introduced me to your videos. I’ve been watching tons of them. Super cool!

romanowe
05-15-20, 07:50
This thread introduced me to your videos. I’ve been watching tons of them. Super cool!

Dude, 100%!! Great instructional videos!

js8588
05-15-20, 16:28
So, I'm an absolute nobody who really doesn't know $h!t compared to most on this forum, but may I suggest these should have a chrome gas key? I get that they're chrome lined, but chrome vs park on the exterior would just make it seem that much more "premium" to my eyes. JP does the same with their bolt carriers and it drives me just as nuts there.

SOTAR
05-15-20, 22:13
I really enjoy your videos! Thanks for sharing them.

Dude, 100%!! Great instructional videos!

Thank you Gentlemen.

SOTAR
05-15-20, 22:15
So, I'm an absolute nobody who really doesn't know $h!t compared to most on this forum, but may I suggest these should have a chrome gas key? I get that they're chrome lined, but chrome vs park on the exterior would just make it seem that much more "premium" to my eyes. JP does the same with their bolt carriers and it drives me just as nuts there.

Fully chromed Carrier Key's don't stake cleanly with the method I use (dimple staking).

See picture:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9QeB1LpUhw/?igshid=1str3jdip2q9x

SOTAR
05-15-20, 22:17
Thanks man, I appreciate your attention to detail.

Cant do much better than compliments from KAC :)

Thank you very much.

js8588
05-15-20, 22:19
Fully chromed Carrier Key's don't stake cleanly with the method I use (dimple staking).

See picture:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9QeB1LpUhw/?igshid=1str3jdip2q9x

Fair enough. If you don't ask, you don't know

Boba Fett v2
05-16-20, 11:32

Chad

You used to be a frequent poster at Maryland Shooters right? I used to post on that forum when I was stationed out on the east coast. I recall you were a pretty switched on dude way back then as well. Enjoyed watching your videos.

SOTAR
05-17-20, 03:23
You used to be a frequent poster at Maryland Shooters right? I used to post on that forum when I was stationed out on the east coast. I recall you were a pretty switched on dude way back then as well. Enjoyed watching your videos.

That's me. Thank you Boba Fett v2.

I still post on Maryland Shooters, but I gravitate towards places that are more AR oriented. :)